• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overnight in Biarritz or Bayonne to combat jet lag

AnneU

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (June 2017)
Hello,

I'm a newbie and am planning a Camino in June 2017. Looking at trying to gauge timelines and wondering if it makes sense to fly into Biarritz and then overnight there (or Bayonne) before traveling on to SJSPP to spend a day exploring. I'm going alone and know that the jet lag will hit me hard (flying from NYC) and want to be at my best when I start. And the thought of flying that much, taking a train, getting my credencial, and having hardly any time to explore SJSPP before tackling the Pyrenees the very next day is a bit overwhelming.

Has anyone started out this way? Any advice??

Part of my "theme" is to slow down and savor experiences rather than rushing through everything at top speed to get to the next item on my list.

Thanks ahead of time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

I'm a newbie and am planning a Camino in June 2017. Looking at trying to gauge timelines and wondering if it makes sense to fly into Biarritz and then overnight there (or Bayonne) before traveling on to SJSPP to spend a day exploring. I'm going alone and know that the jet lag will hit me hard (flying from NYC) and want to be at my best when I start. And the thought of flying that much, taking a train, getting my credencial, and having hardly any time to explore SJSPP before tackling the Pyrenees the very next day is a bit overwhelming.

Part of my "theme" is to slow down and savor experiences rather than rushing through everything at top speed to get to the next item on my list.

Thanks ahead of time.
Many people do what you suggest (I have) especially if they don't have too tight a schedule.

Hello,

Thanks ahead of time.

It depends on your timings. If you arrive relatively early in the day it would be worth continuing on for a couple hours and stay two nights in SJPdP. On the other hand ... if you are rushing to catch the last train of the day ... it would be worth it to stay the night in Bayonne.

The trains from Bayonne are all year and are 4 per day ... which makes Bayonne a better prospect than traveling via Pamplona. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP is seasonal and there is only a morning bus in summer.

I did it Vancouver to Heathrow and bus to Stansted. Stayed the night in Stansted then on to Biarritz and train to SJPdP. I was on the last train because my flight arrived later as planned due to French Air traffic controller strikes. The train arrived late too. I ended up staying SJPdP in a single room for two nights.

Take your time ... its no fun feeling like you've been dragged backwards through a hedge.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Biarritz is a lovely place to unwind. Spend a few days there and then take the local bus to the Bayonne train station and take in SJPdP for a day before you head off.

Thanks ahead of time.

Hi AnneU! I'll be arriving in Biarritz in the afternoon and staying in Bayonne for the night. I don't even have jetlag to worry about but it makes for a nice, relaxing start and no fretting should my flight be delayed.
Biarritz is also a lovely city. Whichever you choose, enjoy and buen camino :)

PS I just saw you're planning for 2017! Plenty of time to organise things then :cool:

Last edited:
It depends on your timings. If you arrive relatively early in the day it would be worth continuing on for a couple hours and stay two nights in SJPdP. On the other hand ... if you are rushing to catch the last train of the day ... it would be worth it to stay the night in Bayonne.

The trains from Bayonne are all year and are 4 per day ... which makes Bayonne a better prospect than traveling via Pamplona. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP is seasonal and there is only a morning bus in summer.

I did it Vancouver to Heathrow and bus to Stansted. Stayed the night in Stansted then on to Biarritz and train to SJPdP. I was on the last train because my flight arrived later as planned due to French Air traffic controller strikes. The train arrived late too. I ended up staying SJPdP in a single room for two nights.

Take your time ... its no fun feeling like you've been dragged backwards through a hedge.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was flying from much further away and caught a connecting flight from CDG to Biarritz and then rode up to SJPP with Caroline at Express Bourricot. I had 2 nights there to rest and explore, and am so glad I did because it's a wonderful place and I was already on the Chemin/Camino.

Hello,

Thanks ahead of time.
Hi, we flew in to Barritz and then took the bus to Bayonne . Had dinner and in the morning took the bus to SJPdP to go to the Pilgrims Office, sign in as well as get a Passport and She’ll from there. Went to a close shop to buy poles and a Jack knife to cut bread?’, fruit and cheese then started walking by about 9:30 AM. Though it worked fine I wish we had taken another full day at rest to combat jet lag.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back