• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overnight in SJPP?

Donna W

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, Everyone.

My husband and I will be arriving in Madrid on August 10 and will then take the train to Pamplona that same day. We have made arrangements to be picked up in Pamplona, and are staying overnight at the Curazon Puro (as recomended on this site--thanks!) and then being driven on August 11 to SJPP.

My question for everyone is this: Do you recommend staying overnight in SJPP and then starting to walk the following day (August 12) or just get to it the day we arrive in SJPP, which likely will be late morning/early afternoon? We're planning to take the Napolean route (weather permitting) and perhaps staying in Orisson if we start walking the day we arrive.

While my husband would prefer to see how we feel when we get there, I'm concerned that since we're arriving in August, we may have trouble finding accommodations both in SJPP or Orisson. I've also seen postings here that SJPP is really beautiful and likely worth a stay both to rest up and sight see. So...what do folks think?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In all likelihood the Napoleon route will be open in August, so you should have no trouble there I would think.
SJPdP is a nice town. I stayed there overnight before starting both my Caminos. Just depends on what y'all like to do.

If you start walking the Napoleon Route from SJPdP late morning/early afternoon you will be lucky to make it to Refuge Orrison in 3 hours, it is a very exhausting 7.5 km straight up hill. The next stop is still another 18.5 km in Roncesvalles.
Saint Jean is wonderful, albeit touristy, little town teeming with day trippers and a lot of pilgrims anxious to get started on their Camino. There are some fine restaurants and lots to see. The Pilgrim's Office is closed for several hours at lunch time so if you don't already have your credential you won't have an opportunity to get one until Roncesvalles.
I have often compared SJPdP to Gatlinburg, Tennessee as it was in the 1940's and 50's; having vacationed their as a child many times to hike in the Smokey's and swim in mountain streams. I mean this as a compliment.
I don't know what your timetable is but I would suggest spending a night in Saint Jean and taking your first day at a leisurely pace and book at Orrison the next night. You are likely to meet close to 20 or 30 pilgrims in those 2 nights who you will be sharing your experience with for the next 40 days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always recommend people stay in St. Jean Pied de Port for at least one full day after arrival, and before the day you start walking. It is a charming and very historic town with much to see.

I usually start my pilgrimage by staying at the Hotel Ramuntcho at #1 Rue de France, on the corner of Rue de Citadelle (the main street in the old section). There are many other, non-albergue, choices there. St. Jean PdP is a old walled city and is interesting to noodle around in and explore. You are there. So, you may as well get the full benefit...:)

Note: there is an entire separate section of the town on the "flats." As you come from the train station you would proceed straight instead of following the rest of the pilgrims up the streets to the right, into the old, historic town. On the "flats" there is a Carrefour market, another outdoor store, mobile phone shops, etc. I found Google and Google maps in particular to be invaluable in this regard. Also, use the Google online translator to automatically translate web pages as you land on them.;)

Of course, the historic center also has everything a pilgrim could need. However, shopping in the other section spreads the wealth around and sometimes provides you additional selection. I have found toiletries and outdoor products at the Carrefour market and the nearby outdoors shop that were not available on the Rue de Citadelle.

While you are there, consider sending a piece of luggage with your "tourist" clothing and things you will not need until you get to Santiago by way of Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/). Although not cheap, it is safe, reliable and Caroline is a pleasure to deal with. They will pick the item(s) up at your hotel. I did this both times and it works like a charm.

I recommend trying to use this layover time to avoid the larger tranches of pilgrims departing on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and (to some extent) Monday. I usually try to depart SJPdP on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. This puts you out of the "pig in a python" paradigm at least for the first few days, until the pilgrims sort themselves out.

Note: there is a similar surge all along the Camino relative to weekends and official holidays, especially at towns and cities that have good transportation connections (bus or train) and can be easily reached by the European pilgrims who typically do the Camino in stages as time and finances permit. So, as you progress towards Santiago, you want to plan to try to avoid landing at a major "joining" point on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It is sort of like surfing. Except in this model, you are seeking the lull between the larger waves of pilgrims that generate every weekend.

This will become especially important once you reach Sarria and the final 111 Km of the Camino Frances. It is difficult to find any accommodations at Sarria and the major daily stopping places from Sarria to Santiago on Friday night and weekends. So, pace yourself accordingly to avoid undue stress. Sometimes, this means taking a layover day to rest up or to sightsee. Plan on including several days in your overall plan. You can vary them once you are on your way.

I hope this helps.

I will join everyone in in saying that it is best to stay one full day in SJPDP. Stay the day and walk around the town. Have a nice lunch or dinner. Get a good start in the morning. If you decide to stay a day, book early, especially in Orission. I walked the Camino Frances in 2013. :)
We arrived in SJPDP on the weekend before August 24th. When we arrived there was a festival in the town. It was wonderful. By staying the day you may meet other pilgrims that are starting their journey just like you. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
If you start walking the Napoleon Route from SJPdP late morning/early afternoon you will be lucky to make it to Refuge Orrison in 3 hours, it is a very exhausting 7.5 km straight up hill. The next stop is still another 18.5 km in Roncesvalles.
Saint Jean is wonderful, albeit touristy, little town teeming with day trippers and a lot of pilgrims anxious to get started on their Camino. There are some fine restaurants and lots to see. The Pilgrim's Office is closed for several hours at lunch time so if you don't already have your credential you won't have an opportunity to get one until Roncesvalles.
I have often compared SJPdP to Gatlinburg, Tennessee as it was in the 1940's and 50's; having vacationed their as a child many times to hike in the Smokey's and swim in mountain streams. I mean this as a compliment.
I don't know what your timetable is but I would suggest spending a night in Saint Jean and taking your first day at a leisurely pace and book at Orrison the next night. You are likely to meet close to 20 or 30 pilgrims in those 2 nights who you will be sharing your experience with for the next 40 days.
Yeah, that's the way it was the day before I started my first Camino. Mid-July, the height of the season. A lot of pilgrims roaming about, and several I saw on and off again throughout my walk. I know some are put-off by the prospect of so many fellow peregrinos in town, but I thought it was cool.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks! This is very helpful.

I always recommend people stay in St. Jean Pied de Port for at least one full day after arrival, and before the day you start walking. It is a charming and very historic town with much to see.

I usually start my pilgrimage by staying at the Hotel Ramuntcho at #1 Rue de France, on the corner of Rue de Citadelle (the main street in the old section). There are many other, non-albergue, choices there. St. Jean PdP is a old walled city and is interesting to noodle around in and explore. You are there. So, you may as well get the full benefit...:)

Note: there is an entire separate section of the town on the "flats." As you come from the train station you would proceed straight instead of following the rest of the pilgrims up the streets to the right, into the old, historic town. On the "flats" there is a Carrefour market, another outdoor store, mobile phone shops, etc. I found Google and Google maps in particular to be invaluable in this regard. Also, use the Google online translator to automatically translate web pages as you land on them.;)

Of course, the historic center also has everything a pilgrim could need. However, shopping in the other section spreads the wealth around and sometimes provides you additional selection. I have found toiletries and outdoor products at the Carrefour market and the nearby outdoors shop that were not available on the Rue de Citadelle.

While you are there, consider sending a piece of luggage with your "tourist" clothing and things you will not need until you get to Santiago by way of Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/). Although not cheap, it is safe, reliable and Caroline is a pleasure to deal with. They will pick the item(s) up at your hotel. I did this both times and it works like a charm.

I recommend trying to use this layover time to avoid the larger tranches of pilgrims departing on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and (to some extent) Monday. I usually try to depart SJPdP on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. This puts you out of the "pig in a python" paradigm at least for the first few days, until the pilgrims sort themselves out.

Note: there is a similar surge all along the Camino relative to weekends and official holidays, especially at towns and cities that have good transportation connections (bus or train) and can be easily reached by the European pilgrims who typically do the Camino in stages as time and finances permit. So, as you progress towards Santiago, you want to plan to try to avoid landing at a major "joining" point on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It is sort of like surfing. Except in this model, you are seeking the lull between the larger waves of pilgrims that generate every weekend.

This will become especially important once you reach Sarria and the final 111 Km of the Camino Frances. It is difficult to find any accommodations at Sarria and the major daily stopping places from Sarria to Santiago on Friday night and weekends. So, pace yourself accordingly to avoid undue stress. Sometimes, this means taking a layover day to rest up or to sightsee. Plan on including several days in your overall plan. You can vary them once you are on your way.

I hope this helps.
Yes, this was extremely helpful. Thanks!

Donna,

I would recommend either staying in SJPP or Orisson, but not both--they are just too close together.

We left Pamplona by the 10am bus (as I recall), arrived in SJPP just in time to make the Pilgrim Office before it closed for lunch, had a nice lunch, took our time, walked all of the fortifications to the top, went to see the old Roman bridge, then walked to Orisson. We still got there long before dinner. The next day was over the hump (in a biblical deluge) and into Roncevalles by noon. Those who started in SJPP made it to Roncevalles by late afternoon. If you are used to American mountains, the Pyrenees are not nearly as rough.

BTW, we are in West Haven, CT. If you are close and want to get together before you leave for GA, let me know and we'll work something out.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd spend the night. There's plenty to see there, including the Bishop's Prison Museum and some good food. I'd be sure and make a reservation, however, especially in August, and if you aren't sure about walking the entire stretch to Roncesvalles, I'd make a reservation in Orisson asap as well.

My husband and I will be arriving in Madrid on August 10 and will then take the train to Pamplona that same day. We have made arrangements to be picked up in Pamplona, and are staying overnight at the Curazon Puro (as recomended on this site--thanks!) and then being driven on August 11 to SJPP.

My question for everyone is this: Do you recommend staying overnight in SJPP and then starting to walk the following day (August 12) or just get to it the day we arrive in SJPP, which likely will be late morning/early afternoon? We're planning to take the Napolean route (weather permitting) and perhaps staying in Orisson if we start walking the day we arrive.

I have very similar plans. Typically, they leave for SJPP after breakfast around 7 AM.

Now, I think staying there for a day would be great, but I would think with arriving that early in the morning, it is not so much a question of if you have time, but how rested are you and how much you want to experience SJPP?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Donna,

I would recommend either staying in SJPP or Orisson, but not both--they are just too close together.

We left Pamplona by the 10am bus (as I recall), arrived in SJPP just in time to make the Pilgrim Office before it closed for lunch, had a nice lunch, took our time, walked all of the fortifications to the top, went to see the old Roman bridge, then walked to Orisson. We still got there long before dinner. The next day was over the hump (in a biblical deluge) and into Roncevalles by noon. Those who started in SJPP made it to Roncevalles by late afternoon. If you are used to American mountains, the Pyrenees are not nearly as rough.

BTW, we are in West Haven, CT. If you are close and want to get together before you leave for GA, let me know and we'll work something out.

Buen Camino
Thanks for the info...and it would be great to get together before we leave for GA. Perhaps once all this snow is gone--sometime in March or May or June (we're out of the area the month of April).

... Do you recommend staying overnight in SJPP and then starting to walk the following day (August 12) or just get to it the day we arrive in SJPP, which likely will be late morning/early afternoon? We're planning to take the Napolean route (weather permitting) and perhaps staying in Orisson if we start walking the day we arrive. ...

You have been given already great advice from others, but I still want to stress the point that:

You need to have a reservation for Orisson in August!
You should get your Credencial at home as the pilgrims office in SJPDP will have a long queue in August.
You should have a reservation in SJPDP if you decide to spend a night there.

Buen Camino, SY

You have been given already great advice from others, but I still want to stress the point that:

You should get your Credencial at home as the pilgrims office in SJPDP will have a long queue in August.

Buen Camino, SY

1000% correct on every point SY and no debate from any experienced pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Both times I was at the pilgrim's office in SJPdP (mid June and mid July) there was no queue at all. Picked up my passport in ten minutes. They did ask me if I wanted reservations at Orisson both times but I opted to walk to Roncesvalles.
It's hit or miss. May or may not be a lot of pilgrims. I wouldn't sweat it.

Buen Camino, SY
Thanks for the advice! I have made a reservation in SJPDP, have ordered our credencials from Ivar, and have sent an email to the alburgue in Orisson, which was the only way I saw to make a reservation. Is that the best way to reserve space? What suggestions do you have if they're filled already in Orisson or I can't make contact sufficiently ahead of time?

Thanks for the advice! I have made a reservation in SJPDP, have ordered our credencials from Ivar, and have sent an email to the alburgue in Orisson, which was the only way I saw to make a reservation. Is that the best way to reserve space? What suggestions do you have if they're filled already in Orisson or I can't make contact sufficiently ahead of time?
The refuge is closed for the season, so you may be waiting a few days for a response, but you are well ahead of the curve in trying to make a reservation this far ahead of time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Enjoy, YOU WILL BE BACK ! Be prepared to have Camino withdrawal when you return !

The refuge is closed for the season, so you may be waiting a few days for a response, but you are well ahead of the curve in trying to make a reservation this far ahead of time.
How far in advance should one make a reservation for Orisson? I'd be staying there in June.
Lisa

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Orisson may not be open now for guests but the reservation making has been well underway for some time. No need to wait till April. You can make your reservation now for June. It may take a few days to hear back. Buen Camino.

You have been given excellent advice, but you have also made a very good plan for yourself from the start. When you come to Corazon Puro, you will have the best and most relaxed (and least expensive, in total) travel to SJPdP. Say hello to Istvan & Barbara from AlexWalker: They are very good people.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the "flats" there is a Carrefour market, another outdoor store, mobile phone shops, etc.

Is it a Decathlon store, per chance? I have been Google-mapping the town and can't find the "flats" or the outdoor store. A Code 18, Im sure... ;)

If you remember the name, can you please let us know?

Thanks!

The sports shop I was referring to is called Maya Sport and is located on the flat part of the town is referenced here: www.pagesjaunes.fr/pro/04426468.

There is no Decathlon in St. Jean Pied de Port.

The other outdoor outfitter is called Direction Compostelle, and is located across the river.

The "main" outdoor shop frequented by pilgrims is the Pilgrim Shop (Le Magazin du Pelerin), located at 32 Rue de Citadelle (the main street in the old town).

The Carrefour market is located near Maya Sport. Here is the URL: www.carrefour.fr/magasin/market-Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

I hope this helps...

The sports shop I was referring to is called Maya Sport and is located on the flat part of the town is referenced here: www.pagesjaunes.fr/pro/04426468.

There is no Decathlon in St. Jean Pied de Port.

The other outdoor outfitter is called Direction Compostelle, and is located across the river.

The "main" outdoor shop frequented by pilgrims is the Pilgrim Shop (Le Magazin du Pelerin), located at 32 Rue de Citadelle (the main street in the old town).

The Carrefour market is located near Maya Sport. Here is the URL: www.carrefour.fr/magasin/market-Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

I hope this helps...

Direction Compostelle has always had great clothes/equiptment and the right prices.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Direction Compostelle has always had great clothes/equiptment and the right prices.
A friendly veteran pilgrim runs Direction Compostelle with two specialized shops in SJPdP at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Place Floquet. Here is the web site.

A friendly veteran pilgrim runs Direction Compostelle with two specialized shops in SJPdP at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Place Floquet. Here is the web site.

The reason i replied Margaret was that in 2010 after walking from Le Puy and were continuing on to Leon he allowed us the internet , gave us old stock from the back [ they were great ] at the right price and then he discussed for an hour the different WAYS he has been on ...the good and the bad.
I will always look after this type of enterprise ...nothing wrong with Decathlon...i just support the little bloke.

You are all correct that Direction Compostelle and the sister shop down the hill and up a block or two in a building near the river Nive, IS an excellent and pilgrim-friendly shop. I always shop there when I am in town.

Maya Sport offers a wider range of outdoor products, not just pilgrimage-specific stuff. Plus, it is in a small group of varied shops sharing a parking area. The Carrefour market is at the rear of this "shopping center."

I am just trying to encourage pilgrims starting at St Jean Pied de Port to see, learn, and experience more. They may as well available themselves of the opportunity as they are there. IMHO, it also adds value to the overall experience.

I hope this helps...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are all correct that Direction Compostelle and the sister shop down the hill and up a block or two in a building near the river Nive, IS an excellent and pilgrim-friendly shop. I always shop there when I am in town.

Maya Sport offers a wider range of outdoor products, not just pilgrimage-specific stuff. Plus, it is in a small group of varied shops sharing a parking area. The Carrefour market is at the rear of this "shopping center."

I am just trying to encourage pilgrims starting at St Jean Pied de Port to see, learn, and experience more. They may as well available themselves of the opportunity as they are there. IMHO, it also adds value to the overall experience.

I hope this helps...

And a great LOCAL cafe on Rue Sainte Eulalie called Cafe Des Sports.
Wonderful atmosphere , family run , great food and " far from the madding crowd "
Its a great feeling when "young kids" in school clothes , belonging to families eating/drinking/meeting there wish you Bon Camino

You have been given excellent advice, but you have also made a very good plan for yourself from the start. When you come to Corazon Puro, you will have the best and most relaxed (and least expensive, in total) travel to SJPdP. Say hello to Istvan & Barbara from AlexWalker: They are very good people.
We'll definitely say hello to them for you! I'm looking forward to meeting them. Istvan has been SO helpful in getting arrangements made for pickup, overnight accommodations, and transport to SJPP. I know having things set for a "relaxed" start-- is that even possible with all the excitement building up?? :)--will be extremely helpful. I'm so appreciative of all the great advice and tips folks on this forum have shared! I only hope once my husband and I have completed our Camino that I'll be able to be half as helpful. :)

Istvan of Corazon Puro (A Clean Heart; and his wife Barbara) of Corazon Puro is a pearl that will make your start of the Camino a blessing. You will be in the hands of experienced beautiful people and fellow pilgrims, who know your needs. You have made good choices. I believe you will have a splendid Camino!

Actually: I cannot praise them high enough: They take such good care of new and unexperienced pilgrims. And remember: They are themselves experienced pilgrims: Beautiful people and place-

hmm...Donna; I wish I could walk with you: You seem like good.

Istvan has been SO helpful in getting arrangements made for pickup, overnight accommodations, and transport to SJPP.
Istvan is a pearl on the Camino; have no fear at all. He is (and his wife) a beautiful person who strives to give you, as a stranger, but a pilgrim, his best. He has gained my full respect, and I am proud to know them both, and considering them as my good friends.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Everyone.

While my husband would prefer to see how we feel when we get there, I'm concerned that since we're arriving in August, we may have trouble finding accommodations both in SJPP or Orisson. I've also seen postings here that SJPP is really beautiful and likely worth a stay both to rest up and sight see. So...what do folks think?

Hi Donna -- My first few days in Spain will be the same as yours! Flying to Madrid, train to Pamplona, over night at Curazon Puro, staying over in St. Jean AND in Orrison. I'm thinking that the additional layover in Orrison will help with jetlag and general transition to the Camino. I have made reservations at all locations, so I can just concentrate on "being there". I'm leaving from San Jose, CA on May 27.

Have a wonderful time planning your adventure!
Buen Camino
Andrea

Hi Donna -- My first few days in Spain will be the same as yours! Flying to Madrid, train to Pamplona, over night at Curazon Puro, staying over in St. Jean AND in Orrison. I'm thinking that the additional layover in Orrison will help with jetlag and general transition to the Camino. I have made reservations at all locations, so I can just concentrate on "being there". I'm leaving from San Jose, CA on May 27.

Have a wonderful time planning your adventure!
Buen Camino
Andrea
Hi, Andrea.

Coming from CA, you'll have a longer trip to Spain that we will, though! We have a direct flight from Atlanta to Madrid, but I imagine we'll still be jet lagged. :) We also opted to stay over in St. Jean and Orrison as a way of getting ourselves acclimated and fully getting over jet lag as much as possible.

Have you already booked the train to Pamplona? We haven't done that yet but think it would be good to get that set up sooner rather than later. If you've already booked, do you have any suggestions for how to take care of that from the US?

The train isn't selling tickets for my May trip yet. It seems as tho they open the schedule 60 or so days in advance. I went to www.renfe.com to look up schedules and fares and will go back later to make a reservation. There are several ways to get from the Madrid airport to the train station -- bus, train, taxi. It looks like the train is about 30 euros each to Pamplon

I went to REI today and spent hours looking around :) I'm waiting for their March members only sale to buy my pack.

I lived in Atlanta for a hot minute in the 80's -- where are you headed in Georgia??

Take care,
Andrea

The train isn't selling tickets for my May trip yet. It seems as tho they open the schedule 60 or so days in advance. I went to www.renfe.com to look up schedules and fares and will go back later to make a reservation. There are several ways to get from the Madrid airport to the train station -- bus, train, taxi. It looks like the train is about 30 euros each to Pamplon

I went to REI today and spent hours looking around :) I'm waiting for their March members only sale to buy my pack.

I lived in Atlanta for a hot minute in the 80's -- where are you headed in Georgia??

Take care,
Andrea

Bus is very, very simple from Madrid to Pamplona

I understand that's true but the train is faster as I recall. That is my motivation after flying from California.

Orisson may not be open now for guests but the reservation making has been well underway for some time. No need to wait till April. You can make your reservation now for June. It may take a few days to hear back. Buen Camino.
Glad to see your post, although I have waited for a reply from Orisson for over a week now for a May booking and the only reply I received was what did I think was bad weather! I had asked to reserve but also asked about what happens if the weather causes problems getting there, which seemed a reasonable question. It has rather made me weary of going there as they might think they can dominate people as there's only one other place to stay! Why are they so slow to respond?

€46,-
Glad to see your post, although I have waited for a reply from Orisson for over a week now for a May booking and the only reply I received was what did I think was bad weather! I had asked to reserve but also asked about what happens if the weather causes problems getting there, which seemed a reasonable question. It has rather made me weary of going there as they might think they can dominate people as there's only one other place to stay! Why are they so slow to respond?
The roads have been closed in the mountains for about a week, if they could get up there today I can only imagine how much correspondence they have to sift through.

The roads have been closed in the mountains for about a week, if they could get up there today I can only imagine how much correspondence they have to sift through.
Yet I got a rhetorical reply!

... It has rather made me weary of going there as they might think they can dominate people as there's only one other place to stay! Why are they so slow to respond?

They are slow to respond because they are taking a much needed winter break and they are not dominating the place - they are literally all that there is in Orisson. Orrisson is not a village, it is literally only the albergue. Buen Camino y paciencia! SY

The other concern about what is bad weather may be that they may not want to lose a booking or force you to pay if you do not make it. The ideal answer would be, "Our policy is..." Of course, you might not like the bad weather policy either, but would certainly be more straight forward and formal.

Their question of bad weather is also a bit legitimate if threatening rain would be cause enough to cancel. I wonder how many beds get book in which people do not show up? The challenge with emails is separating what is said sometimes with what is being said. Maybe it was and maybe it was not.

Oh brother! I would send again, and again. Sheesh!
Thanks for the sympathy, it helps a lot more than being told off! In the end I booked somewhere else and then Jean-Jacques came back to offer me a place which I had to decline! However, thanks to this forum I have decided to walk to Orisson on day one, have lunch there and transport back to St Jean and return by transport to Orisson the following day and have a coffee there before continuing to Roncesvalles. Orisson reminds me of restaurants in the mountains I ski in. I start the end of May and can't wait to go back.

Thanks for the sympathy, it helps a lot more than being told off! In the end I booked somewhere else and then Jean-Jacques came back to offer me a place which I had to decline! However, thanks to this forum I have decided to walk to Orisson on day one, have lunch there and transport back to St Jean and return by transport to Orisson the following day and have a coffee there before continuing to Roncesvalles. Orisson reminds me of restaurants in the mountains I ski in. I start the end of May and can't wait to go back.

After lunch at Orisson continue on to the top Kate which is about 4 hrs from StJ...you only have water to carry.
The taxi can collect you there for the return to STJPJ, and commencing from there in the morning you will get well past Roncesavelles

Last edited:
Donna,

Buen Camino

We will be coming in from Paris to Biarritz @ 12.45pm if we catch the early train, I dont know if I can get a taxi or train or bus to SJPP. I was wondering what you think about us be able to get a late start and make to to Orisson by dinner? I didnt want to stay in SJPP instead check in and walk to Orisson is this possible?

We will be coming in from Paris to Biarritz @ 12.45pm if we catch the early train, I dont know if I can get a taxi or train or bus to SJPP. I was wondering what you think about us be able to get a late start and make to to Orisson by dinner? I didnt want to stay in SJPP instead check in and walk to Orisson is this possible?

Here are transportation links for travel from Bayonne to SJPdP. Check the schedule, consider that it is 8 km uphill to Orisson, and do your own time appreciation.

Note that you should leave your train at Bayonne and not at Biarritz.

1003 Saint Jean Pied de Port to Bayonne

SNCF TER Aquitaine provides train service from SJPdP to Bayonne, typically four times per day, all year. The train is designated TER 62. At times a bus replaces the train and runs on the same schedule with the same stops.

At time of writing tracks are washed out. The entire trip from Bayonne to SJPdP is by bus.

SNCF TER
http://www.ter-sncf.com/

Transports64 provides bus service to Pyrenees-Atlantiques Department including Bayonne to SJPdP via St Palais

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Waggs,
I'm trying to see your profile collage to figure out how much experience you have walking. I'm betting from the two pictures with backpacks that you and your husband walk far.

I have no clue about the connections from Biarritz (we came to SJPP from Pamplona). Going back and checking the time stamps on my photos, it took us 2.5 hours to walk from SJPP to Orrison. I would figure 3 hours (my wife walks unreasonably fast, and at the point I was still trying to keep up with her. I gave up that nonsense by day 3).

So I'd email Orrison and ask what time dinner is served (I think it is 6:30om based on the time stamps on my phot0s). If your connections get you into SJPP by 3pm, I'd say you can make it easily (maybe shower after dinner). If you arrive at 4pm, that would be cutting it close. If 5pm, give it up and stay in SJPP.

Also, if my bets are right and you backpack in the U.S. (especially in the American West), the Napoleon route is going to seem like mere foothills compared to what you are used to. Don't get worried about walking SJPP to Roncevalles in one day if you have to. Almost everyone we saw do so did it just fine by 3-4pm (our feet were not all destroyed yet. That would happen by Pamplona). And there are lots of beds in Roncevalles, no rush.

Buen Camino
Jo Jo

:confused:
Waggs,
I'm trying to see your profile collage to figure out how much experience you have walking. I'm betting from the two pictures with backpacks that you and your husband walk far.

I have no clue about the connections from Biarritz (we came to SJPP from Pamplona). Going back and checking the time stamps on my photos, it took us 2.5 hours to walk from SJPP to Orrison. I would figure 3 hours (my wife walks unreasonably fast, and at the point I was still trying to keep up with her. I gave up that nonsense by day 3).

So I'd email Orrison and ask what time dinner is served (I think it is 6:30om based on the time stamps on my phot0s). If your connections get you into SJPP by 3pm, I'd say you can make it easily (maybe shower after dinner). If you arrive at 4pm, that would be cutting it close. If 5pm, give it up and stay in SJPP.

Also, if my bets are right and you backpack in the U.S. (especially in the American West), the Napoleon route is going to seem like mere foothills compared to what you are used to. Don't get worried about walking SJPP to Roncevalles in one day if you have to. Almost everyone we saw do so did it just fine by 3-4pm (our feet were not all destroyed yet. That would happen by Pamplona). And there are lots of beds in Roncevalles, no rush.

Buen Camino
Jo Jo

Jo Jo,

AH thank you very good suggestion to email and ask what time for dinner. I do not want to miss that!
Hum what to do???o_O I did change my mind and we will be arriving in Bayonne at 12.30pm maybe a taxi will get us to SJPP faster?? I wander if there are taxis available at the train station without wait.
We THINK we can make it easy to Orrisson. The pics are from our packing trip in Costa Rica(uphills for sure) but that was in Feb. 2015

Here at home all flat land. We do walk everyday 5 miles takes us an 1hr 20mins but all flat, and twice a mth we walk 20 miles takes us 6hrs but all flat.

We are wanting to take an extra day in Paris but this means trying to get the train and start to Orrison all in the same day:confused:

what to do what to do...

Jenn Waggs;)

Generally taxis are available when the TGV trains arrive at the Bayonne rr station. They wait in line directly in front. Do ask the fare before you get in! Last October the fare asked for a trip to SJPdP was 100 euros.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It bemuses me this obsession people have with Orisson. It's just an albergue! Great if you can book it and when you arrive in SJPP walk straight there - it'll only take a couple of hours at most - and then you'll have a head start the following morning. Failing that, stay in SJ overnight and head straight for Roncesvalles or beyond the next day. I can't see any reason to stay in SJ for more than one night unless you are getting over jetlag or something. I couldn't get a reservation in Orisson so I stayed in SJ, started out the following morning at 7, and got to Espinal - a total of 32kms - in 8 hours. And that was in storm conditions - a howling gale-force headwind and torrential rain - on 1st May. I was like a drowned rat when I got to Espinal but I'm glad I went 6kms beyond Roncesvalles as the place was packed and some people were being put up in converted shipping containers such was the demand for spaces.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back