• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overnight stay in Pamplona prior to SJPP

Sebastian Cohen

Time of past OR future Camino
Soon to be Camino Frances
EDIT:

I was checking trains from Alicante to Pamplona. I now see that my options are much much better going from Alicante-Madrid and then Madrid-Pamplona. Its actually almost the same price and it takes 5 hours all together and not 9 hours (train times only, not waiting time in Madrid Station).

This way I will get on the bus that leaves 17:30 from Pamplona as well.

PERFECT....I'm such a smart little fellow I need to pat myself on the back!

S

So,

checking train tables it appears trains arriving from Madrid get to Pamplona 18:26 the earliest.

The bus from Pamplona to SJPP leaves 17:30 the latest.

So I will need to have an overnight in Pamplona I guess.

Then I can leave the next day at 14:30 or 17:30.

Then I will need another sleepover in SJPP before I start walking.

But I will not yet have received my Camino Passport, so how can I stay in the Albergues? Are there any other cheap lodgings that's not too shabby?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try going from Alicante to Irun/Hendaye.

Alicante to Madrid Atocha 0720 - 0932

Cercanias or Metro from Atocha to Chamartin ...

Madrid Chamartin to Irun 1015 - 1651

Donostialdea Metro or taxi 3 km from Irun to Hendaye

Hendaye to Bayonne 1720 -1755

Bayonne to SJPdP 1806 - 1912

If you want to take later trains, make an overnight stop at Irun. You can catch SNCF train from Hendaye 0650 in the AM to Bayonne and from Bayonne to SJPdP arriving at 0843.

If you plan to stay at SJPdP ... the pilgrim office stays open till the last train from Bayonne arrives. You can get your credencial at the pilgrim office and they will assist in finding you a bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the same....I will arrive, like you, in Pamplona early evening and the next day I will take the bus to SJPP. I love Pamplona and staying over for the night will give me a chance to get over my jet leg. After checking into a hostel , I will sit on the main square and enjoy some food and red wine.... THAT'S when my Camino will start :) I'm sure some Albergues will cooperate when you explain if you can't get the credential that night. Worst case...pre book a private albergue in Pamplona . Not sure when you go but you should be able to find some cheap ones.

I did exactly the same thing in May 2014. Stayed at Aloha hostel and hadn't bought my credential yet. Was still charged the pilgrim's rate. Shared a taxi to SJPP with another pilgrim. I then bought my passport it SJPP as I wanted the french one from the office which was just opposite the Albergue I was staying in the night before kick-off.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed overnight at Albergue Jesus y Maria in Pamplona in 2010, then went to SJPP the next day. I had my pilgrim passport from Canada in advance that year, but they do have Spanish credentials there at the albergue as someone else said. I haven't used a Canadian credential since (I've walked the Camino Francés four times) but these days I always end up with three credentials anyway, one from France, one from Spain (when I run out of space in the French one -- I don't collect sellos everywhere, but I do enjoy getting more than the minimum, in places that are memorable for one reason or another), and the Fisterra credential when I walk from Santiago to the coast. :)

It's all good. Congratulations on saving yourself train time, and Buen Camino!

P.S. It was really neat that first year, being at Jesus y Maria and meeting pilgrims who'd come across the Route Napoleon and made their way to Pamplona. I was completely new to the Camino and a little in awe of them, and then 6 days later (I stayed in Orisson the first year) I'd walked myself back there again!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back