• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overthinking Camino number 2...

nickymd1

Time of past OR future Camino
CdN'17, Regia'18, CF'19, CP'22, CFist/CMux '17/'22
I cannot be the only one. I just can't be.... right? In 10 days I will touch down in Madrid and bus to Burgos; the next day my CF will begin. Two years ago I walked a life-changing CdN from Hendaye to Finisterre in 35 days.

I know how this goes. I know what I need to pack. I know that it won't be the same. I know that I'll be safe. I know what it will feel like and that it hurts and that it's worth it and that there will be loads of fun people to befriend and that my plans will disintegrate as soon as I get there and that if I over-plan and over-think and over-stress I will miss out on the glorious provision of Grace on the Camino. I KNOW.

And yet....I. am. freaking. out. I am walking over Easter. Idiot. I'm obsessing over whether or not to walk the distance from Burgos to Leon in 7 days or 8 days. Idiot. And whether to book my city stays ahead or not... because it's Easter. facepalm. Idiot.

Surely I'm not the first to lose her mind over absolutely. nothing....? Please guys, tell me I'm not the first.... #dies.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nope, as soon as I booked my tickets for my 2nd and 3rd Caminos I thought "what am I doing?!!" Now I'll be going on my 4th in May, and I still have that feeling, but not quite as bad.

I'm obsessing over whether or not to walk the distance from Burgos to Leon in 7 days or 8 days.
You already know the answer :)

my plans will disintegrate as soon as I get there

Well, this forum is probably the last place you should be asking that question.
At times it seems like a meeting place for over-thinker's (and planner's) anonymous. :D
I'd say just get your backpack ready and not even think about it for the next week or so.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I cannot be the only one. I just can't be.... right? In 10 days I will touch down in Madrid and bus to Burgos; the next day my CF will begin. Two years ago I walked a life-changing CdN from Hendaye to Finisterre in 35 days.

I know how this goes. I know what I need to pack. I know that it won't be the same. I know that I'll be safe. I know what it will feel like and that it hurts and that it's worth it and that there will be loads of fun people to befriend and that my plans will disintegrate as soon as I get there and that if I over-plan and over-think and over-stress I will miss out on the glorious provision of Grace on the Camino. I KNOW.

And yet....I. am. freaking. out. I am walking over Easter. Idiot. I'm obsessing over whether or not to walk the distance from Burgos to Leon in 7 days or 8 days. Idiot. And whether to book my city stays ahead or not... because it's Easter. facepalm. Idiot.

Surely I'm not the first to lose her mind over absolutely. nothing....? Please guys, tell me I'm not the first.... #dies.
@nickymd1
You describe your previous camino as "life changing." This puts a massive weight on the possibles results of a future camino, even if you think that you know that it will not be the same. No amount of rationalizing can change that. Accept where you are and go on with your preparations. Perhaps you can muse a bit on what you are hoping for. That could make all the obsessing over minor details look insignificant. Buen camino.

Well, this forum is probably the last place you should be asking that question.
At times it seems like a meeting place for over-thinker's (and planner's) anonymous. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA truer words were likely never spoken on this end of the forum ;)

You describe your previous camino as "life changing." This puts a massive weight on the possibles results of a future camino, even if you think that you know that it will not be the same....Perhaps you can muse a bit on what you are hoping for. This could make all the obsessing over minor details look insignificant. Buen camino.

Hahaha, so true. I meant it completely literally though: I came back and changed my job, apartment, friendship group (out with the toxic, in with the new perspectives) and opinion of myself. Not sure I want any of those things to change this time ;) But it's a good piece of advice to concretise some of my hopes. Thanks!

And I love how we here are of the opinion that shelter and timing are 'minor details'. It's so true but so... counter-cultural.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Easter doesn't make EVERY place busy. People have to leave some place to congregate another place. Just choose the places where you'll be.

I know that it won't be the same

I can relate to your feelings mostly from the perspective of a first Camino experience that was so special I am sure it cannot be duplicated. This fall I will start in Porto, and then via Santiago walk to Muxia and Finisterre. Like you said above “I know it won’t be the same”. I’m hoping that by doing a completely different Camino, I won’t be trapped as easily by my mind measuring the first Camino against the second. I think deep down I know it will be both Great and Different. But until I start walking the monkey mind will be busier than I’d like it to be.

I'm guessing most people experience the same feelings you are having now. I hope you come back to this thread when you finish for a quick update on your 2nd Camino experience and tell us at what point the butterflies in your stomach or the monkey in your brain calmed down.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m hoping that by doing a completely different Camino, I won’t be trapped as easily by my mind measuring the first Camino against the second. I think deep down I know it will be both Great and Different.

This was exactly my thought process. I want to do the Norte again but need to have other experiences of the Camino before I go back. People always said I must walk the Meseta, so that's my plan. Both Great and Different.

This may be an appropriate time and place to state the obvious: "Man plans and God laughs..."

Plan to get yourself there to your starting place, and home afterwards. Everything in-between will happen, one way or the other. Enjoy the journey. Do not worry about the destination. It will still be there when you arrive.

For those traveling over, or around Semana Santa (Holy Week) or Easter Week (the following week) I recommend booking ahead whenever possible. This is more critical in any larger town or city, and certainly the usual pilgrim starting places.

Two things occur at this time to increase demand on housing resources:

1. There are many, MANY religious themed activities, events, parties, processions and related observances all over Spain and Portugal during this two week period. It is HUGE!

2. Many Europeans have several free days off work, as the Thursday and Friday before Easter, and the Monday after Easter Sunday are significant religious and / or national holidays in many jurisdictions.

This year, Jewish Passover happens to fall on Friday, 19 April, also the same day as Good Friday observances for Christians.

The historical records suggest that many Europeans will take a few "bridge holidays" added to these free days off to establish a two-week holiday period. This enables them to do a 10 day to 2-week Camino.

This period also marks the "official" start to the current year's Camino Season. Daily volumes begin to increase in late April, throughout May and in to June. Once the universities let out globally, the volumes surge higher to summer levels.

So, avoid large towns and cities on the major feast / holy days if possible. Book ahead. Cross your fingers... Have a Plan B...

Hope this helps.

I leave next Tuesday for my second Camino. I could have written your post, nicky! Just last night I was stressing about where I might be around Semana Santa. Plus a thousand other things.

I will step back and breathe and walk (could always use more training!!).
Thanks for posting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No need to facepalm, Nicky. Easter is a superb time to be in Spain and walking a camino.
Just stay in towns that are not stage-ending places in guides and you shoud be fine. And there are processions...it's very special. I've walked twice over Easter and loved it.
And I did not book ahead.
So no problemo, peregrina! If you arrive someplace and everything is completo (which has never happened to me at Eastertime)...well, something will happen. You will be able to figure it out on the hoof.
And as others have said - beware of expectations. The first camino is unique and unrepeatable. The others deepen and broaden that.
Buen camino!

My wife and I have walked Holy Week and Easter in the past with no problems finding beds without reservations.

My daughter and I leave tomorrow from New Zealand to do the CF for the third time in two years . So what can go wrong lots so what do I do. I trust two people one is myself and the other is God. This has worked so far I see no reason to alter a plan that has worked so well so far. Good luck beun Camino and God bless.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
oh my gosh... same thing here.. I leave in 2 days for Paris to start my 2nd camino on April 11th from SJPDP. I know I am overthinking this one especially as the last one was only 10 days from Porto. Well we just have to go with it all and things will work out. Buen Camino!

Relax please Nicky, your agitation is infecting me from a distance of 15000 km!
I am on the Sanabres next month, so if you get lost (or I do) maybe we will meet and you can tell me how great it actually was.

Surely you are not the first. It can feel like almost a panic attack. It's normal for me, and perhaps to a lot of people. Last year, I read this inscription on the monument remembering a 17-year old who died there while bicycling the CF. You will find it after Manjarin. Have a faith and things will work out. You will be glad in the end.

Attachments

• 20180906_091311.jpg
    20180906_091311.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 14
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can relate to your feelings mostly from the perspective of a first Camino experience that was so special I am sure it cannot be duplicated. This fall I will start in Porto, and then via Santiago walk to Muxia and Finisterre. Like you said above “I know it won’t be the same”. I’m hoping that by doing a completely different Camino, I won’t be trapped as easily by my mind measuring the first Camino against the second. I think deep down I know it will be both Great and Different. But until I start walking the monkey mind will be busier than I’d like it to be.

I'm guessing most people experience the same feelings you are having now. I hope you come back to this thread when you finish for a quick update on your 2nd Camino experience and tell us at what point the butterflies in your stomach or the monkey in your brain calmed down.
I am walking same Camino in Oct. maybe i’ll see you along the way. 🚶🏽‍♀️😊

Ha Ha Nicky, I was exactly the same for my 2nd, 3rd & 4th camino!!!! I'm about to begin my 5th camino this time on the Norte and I've been too busy to plan, train or think about it, all I know is I have my return airfare and first nights accommodation booked in Irun. As others say everything will happen in-between and I can now be confident of that. Buen Camino

It's not just you Nicky! I start the CdN on Saturday and I've changed my mind about footwear 3 times today already! Im finding it trickier this time, as when I did the CdF it was mid-winter, so I knew it would be cold/wet and packed for that. But April/May in Spain - could go from very cold to baking hot - clothes wise its easy - just layers, but footwear - do I go hiking boots/hike/trail shoes/sandles.....?.I think it's gonna be a last minute instinct decision.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nicky, I was fretting about the site in Lescar,France. Walking there from the airport,making a reservation,etc.And,my walk was not even until September! The new Gronze Arles changed everything! That bite was not open and a new one had been opened across town. This was my lesson on planning for the future. I have decided to just plunk along and see what happens. Many people seem to be walking at Easter,and every other day,and it all seems to work out somehow. I have never seen pilgrim's sleeping in the streets;they somehow find a way. The alberque Meson in Santiago was recommended to me and it seemed to have room for many hundred. Buen Camino

It's not just you Nicky! I start the CdN on Saturday and I've changed my mind about footwear 3 times today already! Im finding it trickier this time, as when I did the CdF it was mid-winter, so I knew it would be cold/wet and packed for that. But April/May in Spain - could go from very cold to baking hot - clothes wise its easy - just layers, but footwear - do I go hiking boots/hike/trail shoes/sandles.....?.I think it's gonna be a last minute instinct decision.
Hope you went with the trail shoes! Too cold for sandals, too paved for boots. Buen Camino! I'm jealous of you on the Norte!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It had started to rain by the time I reached Alverca do Ribatejo. Fisherman have their colorfully painted boats with fishing nets and gear all laid up on shore at the Alverca Marina, where there was another walkway along the Tejo River and this one was paved with rubber asphalt perfect for joggers.
Nice writing Terry.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back