Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo Accommodation options?

green_spork

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Aug/Sept (2017)
Morning all,
Was looking at accommodations options for my start date in Oviedo in 3 weeks!

I thought their would be plenty of choices and places to stay, end of September, but it seems a lots of places are full!?

I looked at the Albergue De El Salvador, but it opens at 4pm (arriving 6pm)
Only 1 night (Need 2 nights)
The other options are Albergue La Pergrina or HiHome Hostel!
Bit surprised, with cost as well, over €20 for mixed dorm, don’t think I ever payed as much as that, out with city’s like Paris/U.S!

Is it correct you could possibly stay in the University accommodations or was this only temporary!

Need to book soon, any tips much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it correct you could possibly stay in the University accommodations or was this only temporary!

Are you sure you are talking about Oviedo? The only university accommodations I know about are in Mieres, about 20 km outside of Oviedo and on the Salvador. I remember someone said on a Salvador thread that he knew people who were just going to sleep in Mieres and take the train back and forth. See this thread.It has all the info and contact info.

I don’t know if you could stay in Mieres (with a quick cheap ride on the train back and forth to Oviedo), but it might be worth contacting them.

And one last question — when you say everything is full, have you contacted places directly? You probably know this, but booking.com and other third party websites do not have access to all of the rooms. Gronze.com has phone numbers and contact info, so I suggest reaching out directly and seeing what you find. Good luck!

In Oviedo, I stayed in Albergue La Peregrina a couple of times and found it ok despite some poor reviews on gronze. They have curtains around the bunks for privacy and a kitchen area for food prep. It's right on the camino and very central.

Only issue I had was a few people coming and going late at night, but this often happens in city albergues where they give you the door code. As with all city albergues, be vigilant and watch your stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Crosswires I think!
I was looking at various posts and I think my brain just merged them together!
I definitely want to be based within Oviedo!

Last time I mostly used Booking.com as it was the easiest option, no deposit/free cancellations!
I will have a look at the Gronze accommodation list!

In Oviedo, I stayed in Albergue La Peregrina a couple of times and found it ok despite some poor reviews on gronze. They have curtains around the bunks for privacy and a kitchen area for food prep. It's right on the camino and very central.

Only issue I had was a few people coming and going late at night, but this often happens in city albergues where they give you the door code. As with all city albergues, be vigilant and watch your stuff.
Hi, Flog, yes, I had a look at the La Peregrina, I stayed in similar albergue on the Portuguese in 2017, giant curtains separating everyone’s bunks, bit 1970’s Hospital vibe!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Morning all,

I thought their would be plenty of choices and places to stay, end of September, but it seems a lots of places are full!?

Bit surprised, with cost as well, over €20 for mixed dorm, don’t think I ever payed as much as that, out with city’s like Paris/U.S!

I stayed at el Salvador. They have a rule of 1 night only- as you say,- but last year I was starting the camino Primitivo and waiting for my friend arriving from GErmany.
Unfortunately the flights couldnt coincide and I arrived 2 days earlier in Oviedo. Before leaving I phoned the albergue, explained the situation and they let me stay for 3 nights altogether.( 2 nights just me and the 3rd night when my friend arrived and both stayed there).
Just give them a call and explain your situation, if the albergue is not full (and I doubt it will be in October) I am sure they will let you stay the 2 nights you require, plus the albergue is quite big

We spent two nights at Hostel Romero, very near the cathedral. Found it on Booking.com, reasonable for a double room, don’t know what they offer for single rooms.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nice single room at Green Hostel … wanted private to sleep off jet lag coming from West Coast of Canada. Reasonable

Last edited:
I stayed at the Hi Hostel. Well situated to the trail as it exits the city. Has a kitchen. Was clean and well maintained. Be warned it’s entry and intra building access is all done with Bluetooth. If you’re not comfortable with this ask for the MULTIPLE number codes you’ll need.

I stayed at the Hi Hostel. Well situated to the trail as it exits the city. Has a kitchen. Was clean and well maintained. Be warned it’s entry and intra building access is all done with Bluetooth. If you’re not comfortable with this ask for the MULTIPLE number codes you’ll need.
This hostel looks nice and has good reviews! You mentioned you gain access by Bluetooth?
So you don’t need any cell network for it work! I guess they just send something to you’re cellphone when you book? I don’t mind using this kind of system as long as it’s works and it’s not cliche!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Morning all,

I spent a couple of nights in a cheap air bnb in oviedo before starting the Primitivo in 2018. Flying from NZ I was quite jet lagged so it was good to have somewhere I didn’t have to vacate in the day to adjust my circadian rhythm. Down side was not sharing with any peregrinos before the start but met a couple at the pilgrims mass the night before and we met the next morning and headed off together. Buen camino!

This hostel looks nice and has good reviews! You mentioned you gain access by Bluetooth?
So you don’t need any cell network for it work! I guess they just send something to you’re cellphone when you book? I don’t mind using this kind of system as long as it’s works and it’s not cliche!
Good to have the codes in your head as stumbling to the loo without your phone in hand leads to trouble

Morning all,

I stayed in La Hospederia this summer at the end of my Salvador. smack in the centre and in a renovated 8C royal palace later also a pilgrim hospice with an original portal still in place! magic words for me. :cool:

it was on the expensive side (€23 I think) but all other places (except the association albergue which opened very late) were of the same price.

it is one dorm of eight beds with curtains, chargers, lockers, pockets for small stuffs on the bunks and a window/door, and a 'loft' with two beds with no window. it has a small kitchen (no stove), enough clean bathroom facilities and a patio. nice and helpful hospitalera, too. (I was doing reservations for several non-spanish speakers and on my second phone call we were already joking and laughing about it.)

the only drawback was that it is on the ground level and the window of the dorm is actually a door onto the street. but it's a quiet street and we had it open during the night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at el Salvador. They have a rule of 1 night only- as you say,- but last year I was starting the camino Primitivo and waiting for my friend arriving from GErmany.
Unfortunately the flights couldnt coincide and I arrived 2 days earlier in Oviedo. Before leaving I phoned the albergue, explained the situation and they let me stay for 3 nights altogether.( 2 nights just me and the 3rd night when my friend arrived and both stayed there).
Just give them a call and explain your situation, if the albergue is not full (and I doubt it will be in October) I am sure they will let you stay the 2 nights you require, plus the albergue is quite big

This certainly seems the cheapest option, it reminds me of the siminario Mayor in Santiago, but maybe not as nice looking!
I arrive from Madrid at around 6pm on the Saturday, so would really like to check out Oviedo a bit! I believe the Albergue restricts access from 9pm, so it doesn’t make it practical if you want to go out for dinner!

Consider two accomodations by Accorhotel in Oviedo. They get an easy exit from the city when you start the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back