Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo Maps & Markings

Winchester09

Hola peregrinos,

Doing final planning for July Primitivo. A couple if my guides say it can be tricky leaving Oviedo, anyone had any issues?

As a precaution I'm looking to download good quality street maps. Anyone know of a good source?

Getting over excited now!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Winchester09,

You've got a great camino coming up. When I walked the Primitivo, all I used was the online Eroski guide.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/
I've pasted in their directions on leaving Oviedo here, but their guide is very good for the whole walk. If you don't read Spanish, I'll be happy to translate their directions for you, just let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

Siguiendo la estela que Alfonso II el Casto y su séquito dejaron, allá por el siglo IX, en su camino hacia el recién descubierto sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago el Mayor, comenzamos la peregrinación desde lacatedral de San Salvador. Hacia la izquierda, por la calle Schultz, parte el Camino Primitivo; hacia la otra dirección se encamina el Camino del Norte o de la Costa. Siguiendo las conchas de bronce que adornan el pavimento (una señalización vertical hubiera ayudado más, sin duda), giramos a la derecha en la calle Schultz por la calle San Juan.

Desembocamos en la calle Jovellanos, que cruzamos de frente para coger la calle La Luna. La seguimos y enlazamos con la calle Covadonga, que conecta a su vez con Melquiades Álvarez . Ésta engancha con la calle de la Independencia. Al salir a la avenida del mismo nombre, coincidente con la N-634, giramos a la izquierda y pasamos junto a las torres Asturias y Cervantes. Con la presencia de las ya ansiadas flechas amarillas, cruzamos la peatonal avenida Príncipe de Asturias, comúnmente conocida por los ovetenses como plaza de La Losa. Desemboca en la calle Samuel Sánchez, en honor al ciclista campeón olímpico en Pekín, y continúa por la calle de la Argañosa, que atraviesa este célebre barrio de Oviedo. Tras un buen trecho por este vial giramos a la derecha junto al bar El Choque para cruzar sobre las vías del FEVE, donde también vemos el primer mojón jacobeo (Km 2,5).

Tras las vías, aunque dependiendo del estado de las obras, el itinerario lleva a torcer a la derecha por la calle Bermudo I El Diácono. Posteriormente continúa a la izquierda por José María Fernández Buelta y a la derecha por la calle de Illas, que sale a la avenida de la Florida. En la rotonda que encontramos a 300 metros hay una talla de Santiago peregrino esculpida en bronce por la artista asturiana Pilar Fernández Carballedo. Tras un parque infantil proseguimos por la calle Muros de Nalón y rodeamos una parcela para salir a la carretera local que sube hasta San Lázaro de Paniceres.

I think it's trickiest if you leave in the morning, because the route you follow is marked by these little bronze shells you follow in the pavement. They begin at the Cathedral but can be easy to miss. If you plan to stay at the Albergue, the Hospitelero will give you a good map for making it successfully out of town!

Here are some directions from the cathedral:

Leaving the albergue, proceed 800m to the cathedral. Pass in front of it, heading north on Calle Águila. Turn left onto Calle Schultz, then right through the Plaza de Juan. Cross Argüelles Jovellanos onto Calle La Luna, and fork left through the busy intersection onto Calle Covadonga. This becomes Calle Melquiades Álvarez and then Calle Indepencia. Yellow arrows reappear at this point. After 1km, Calle Indepencia merges with the N-634. Cross it and continue through Plaza de la Liberación. Fork left at the roundabout, onto Calle Argañosa. After 400m, cross the metal footbridge over the railroad.

Construction has temporarily re-routed the Camino on the other side. The detour is well marked, however, and rejoins the Camino near a park after 1.5km. Pass through the park and then turn right on a minor road. At this point you'll be well on your way!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was in Oviedo last week... from the Cathedral there is a new sign showing Camino Primitivo and Del Norte Costa... I walked the Primitivo for about 30 minutes and the bronze scallop shells on the ground are very good... here's a photo of the sign...
Oviedo.JPG

The instructions I posted in Spanish coincide with the directions given by laurap, but maybe add a bit more, so I'll just throw them in here, translated into English:

Begin at the cathedral. Go the left, on the Calle Schultz. Follow the shells in the pavement, and then turn right onto the Calle San Juan.

Calle San Juan takes you out onto the Calle Jovellanos, which we cross in order to get on Calle La Luna. Calle La Luna takes us to Calle Covadonga, and from there to the Calle Melquiades Álvarea. Then it becomes the Avenida de la Independencia, which is also the N-634 at this point. Turn left and you will pass the Asturias and Cervantes Towers. Cross the pedestrian street Príncipe de Asturias (known by people in Oviedo as the Plaza de la Losa). This brings you to the Calle Samuel Sánchez, and continues on the Calle de la Argañosa. After a stretch on this road, turn right next to the Bar El Choque, which will take you over the FEVE train tracks.

After the tracks, there may be construction, but the route turns to the right on the Calle Bermudo I El Diácono. Then it goes to the left onto Calle José María Fernandez Buelta, and then to the right on the Calle de Illas, which comes out onto the Avenida de la Florida. In the roundabout that´s about 300 m along, there is a bronze sculpture of Santiago the pilgrim. After a children´s playground get on the street Muros de Nalón, which takes you to the local road that goes up to the village of San Lázaro de Paniceres.

It´s actually pretty easy to see on google maps, fingers crossed if I´ve done this right. Try clicking here.

I was on the Primitivo two years ago and once you get over the FEVE tracks you come to blocks and blocks of what were supposed to be new apartment buildings, halted by the crisis. So you´ve got great infrastructure, sidewalks, roundabouts, etc, just no buildings. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Winchester09,

You've got a great camino coming up. When I walked the Primitivo, all I used was the online Eroski guide.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/
I've pasted in their directions on leaving Oviedo here, but their guide is very good for the whole walk. If you don't read Spanish, I'll be happy to translate their directions for you, just let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

Looks like a great guide. I'd already made a mini route/amenities/elevation map from the charts on Gronze.com but I might do another as the Eroski charts are more detailed. I found something like this very helpful as a quick ref guide when on the Frances.

Many thanks Laurie,

Matt

We found leaving Oviedo tricky, and didn't have much luck following the sidewalk-implanted markers. We lost the way more than once getting out of town, but in every case locals saw our confusion and pointed out the correct way. I can't recall where we found this sign, but it helped in the section after crossing the railroad tracks.
Buen camino,
Dan

DSCN0677.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back