Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo--->Santiago in December 2018

azeevy

Hello all,

I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 (April/May) and will be walking my second Camino this December.

I have a flight from NYC to Porto December 3rd, at which point I will head to Oviedo to begin the Primitivo. Originally I planned on the Camino Portugues but after some research and speaking to a friend who walked the Primitivo, I changed my mind.

Has anyone here walked the Camino Primitivo in December/Winter months? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - are albergues open in early December?

Thank you!

Arik Zeevy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've walked the Primitivo in early May and it was fantastic. It will take someone wiser than me to answer your questions realistically....All I can say is brrrrr, and don't forget to bring snowshoes! ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ha, well thank you for taking the time to reply! Are you being serious or sarcastic regarding snowshoes? :oops:
I was only teasing regarding the snowshoes so I apologize. I've been on this forum for almost two years and have yet to read of anyone ever mentioning bringing snowshoes on any winter caminos, but I'm sure you'd be getting some snow on the Primitivo.

I am surprised some of the veterans who have walked various routes in winter are not yet responding to give you some advise! Hopefully you will hear something soon!

Hello all,

I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 (April/May) and will be walking my second Camino this December.

I have a flight from NYC to Porto December 3rd, at which point I will head to Oviedo to begin the Primitivo. Originally I planned on the Camino Portugues but after some research and speaking to a friend who walked the Primitivo, I changed my mind.

Has anyone here walked the Camino Primitivo in December/Winter months? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - are albergues open in early December?

Thank you!

Arik Zeevy

The problem with getting advice on winter walking is the number of people that have posted that they were going to walk the Primitivo in December / January / February, and then never come back to say what conditions were like. Reading between the lines, some folk have tried it and then given up or gone onto the Frances.
Try this old thread;- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-the-primitivo-in-february.44583/#post-466468

Blessings
Tio Tel

Hello all,

Thank you!

Arik Zeevy

And this thread could help :)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/primitivo-in-winter-impossible.23516/

Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think it may be difficult to get accomodation in Dec/Jan you will have to research. I have walked 10 Caminos and would not attempt the Primitivo in December. In saying that I am Australian and not used to snow. Good luck

I think it may be difficult to get accomodation in Dec/Jan you will have to research. I have walked 10 Caminos and would not attempt the Primitivo in December. In saying that I am Australian and not used to snow. Good luck
Hi
We walked the Primitivo in June with a group of 12 University students. It was challenging and very beautiful.
Even in June the Problems were:
Accommodation for a large group.
Weather was changeable, especially at higher altitudes.
Fog in the mountains and rain showers there was then sleet and even some snow.
We were concerned about hypothermia among some of our Pilgrims. All were okay, but gloves and hat would have been helpful.
Finding rooms in smaller villages.
I suggest you check with local authorities about the safest route to take over the heights.
Good luck and enjoy the sughts
Buen Camino

I don't believe, it's possible to walk on the mountain paths in December: There is snow on knee level already now on the mountain area. Only way to walk is on the roads, and I think it's not the meaning to do the Camino. Private hostels will be open, but it's necessary to reserve a day beforehand.
Buen Camino, if you still do it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked it May 26-June 8. It was drizzling or raining about 2/3 of the time. Had several days rain with strong winds. It was frequently cold. Walking the roads was scary in that weather as we weren't very visible. I would never attempt those mountains in winter. Far too easy to fall on a damp trail up & down the highest mountain. (One of us fell & needed stitches). Also, not as much daylight for those long treks. And we didn't even carry our backpacks. We booked all our lodging in advance and some meals as there were limited food options (group of 12). All of us were fit & experienced trekkers over 50. I recommend rethinking your dates if you want to do the Primitivo. It's well worth doing, but won't be enjoyable in December. Research all the places you plan to stay and assure yourself there will be accommodations and food available.
Buen camino

I have only walked the Primitivo in September and October and would want to be very careful indeed in December and January. The pass to Pola de Allende features shelter huts, so I think that this is a useful indication of the challenges involved. I would suspect that most hostales would be open, but would not be optimistic about many of the albergues. As a Canadian, I am very respectful of winter. I have not seen any accounts of doing the Primitivo in deep winter, but would be interested if anyone knows of any.

My very good friend walked in January a few years ago. He had a great camino - with very cold, crisp weather and some snow but not too much. There were very, very few other pilgrims but early on he met three Spanish pilgrims and they walked together from then on. Two of the Spanish pilgrims had tried to walk this Camino the year before but there had been too much snow and they had to turn back.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.