A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Oviedo to Aviles...1, 2 or 3 days walking?

2020 Camino Guides

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I am in a quandry regarding how much time I will need walking from Oviedo to Aviles. I prefer walking 20k days when possible, but have read this stretch takes one day, but have also read three. In looking at the gronze website, I'm not seeing many lodging choices. I am more often booking ahead the last couple of years and prefer booking.com. Probably taking two days would be sufficient if I can find an overnight accomodation. Any advise from those of you who have walked this stretch? Thanks!

spursfan

Veteran Member
Using Google maps, Oviedo to Aviles is some 30K

Not sure about the route but there's a Hotel Royal at La Miranda along the AS17 that seems half-way

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Using Google maps, Oviedo to Aviles is some 30K

Not sure about the route but there's a Hotel Royal at La Miranda along the AS17 that seems half-way
I have walked 30k a number of times, but am bringing a newbie and I haven't looked at elevation changes. I saw that hotel on Gronzi, too, but it was "sold out" on my dates. It was a great halfway point. There are three of us and possibly that will create a few issues as some hotels do not have rooms for three.
Thank you for taking the time to look, I appreciate it.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am in a quandry regarding how much time I will need walking from Oviedo to Aviles. I prefer walking 20k days when possible, but have read this stretch takes one day, but have also read three. In looking at the gronze website, I'm not seeing many lodging choices. I am more often booking ahead the last couple of years and prefer booking.com. Probably taking two days would be sufficient if I can find an overnight accomodation. Any advise from those of you who have walked this stretch? Thanks!
Hi, Chris, There isn’t much elevation gain, and the exit from Oviedo is quite nice. There is some road walking, but nothing industrial.

I saw that even on their website, the reservations page was showing no availability from now through next year. So I called, and she confirmed that the website isn’t working. The hotel closes at the end of the year through March, but I think that you’ll be going after that. You can email the hotel, in English, with your reservation request. H.royal@hotmail.es

Hope this works. If not, let me know, buen camino, Laurie

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hi, Chris, There isn’t much elevation gain, and the exit from Oviedo is quite nice. There is some road walking, but nothing industrial.

I saw that even on their website, the reservations page was showing no availability from now through next year. So I called, and she confirmed that the website isn’t working. The hotel closes at the end of the year through March, but I think that you’ll be going after that. You can email the hotel, in English, with your reservation request. H.royal@hotmail.es

Hope this works. If not, let me know, buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, you are sooo helpful! Your awesome skills in speaking Spanish often produce great results for those of us who are "language challenged". I sent the hotel an email and will let you know when I hear back from them.
P.S. I look forward to hopefully seeing you in late November. 😊

Last edited:

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Camino(s) past & future
?
Camino Chrissy, If La Miranda is an acceptable half way point and you can't secure a room, there is the possibility of going back to sleep in Oviedo and return to La Miranda the following morning.
Check with ALSA . There are buses running every hour or so, starting very early and ending very late.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Camino Chrissy, If La Miranda is an acceptable half way point and you can't secure a room, there is the possibility of going back to sleep in Oviedo and return to La Miranda the following morning.
Check with ALSA . There are buses running every hour or so, starting very early and ending very late.
I will consider this if the hotel can not accommodate us. Thank you!

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
Here’s my (tattered) walking plan from March 2018.....I deviated to avoid Gijon/Aviles section as per recommendation here and enjoyed it. You can see where I stayed..l..no issue or need to reserve if you’re willing to stay in municipal,albergues.

Attachments

Martyduc

Hunter Valley,Australia
Camino(s) past & future
Frances Portuguese Finisterre Muxia Ingles Mozarabe VldP Sanabres Serrana Salvador Norte Espiritual
I will consider this if the hotel can not accommodate us. Thank you!
Hi,, it is a very easy days walk!!! And Aviles is a great town !! I'm here right now!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Here’s my (tattered) walking plan from March 2018.....I deviated to avoid Gijon/Aviles section as per recommendation here and enjoyed it. You can see where I stayed..l..no issue or need to reserve if you’re willing to stay in municipal,albergues.
Thank you, I'll take a look. I favor a variety of both types of lodgings...a bed is a bed!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hi,, it is a very easy days walk!!! And Aviles is a great town !! I'm here right now!
It's good to know that it's entirely doable if we need to walk it in a long day...thanks! Not sure who or when it was posted that it was a 3 day walk. 🤔

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
Camino Norte (Sept/Oct 2019)
I walked that section a few weeks ago and agree with Martyduc. Its an easy, but fairly long day. There is a good sideria about 2/3rds of the way along, at Aguera, just off the road on the right. Asador los Manjares. sideria Asador Los Manjares, near Aviles.jpg

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
But there are no albergues between Oviedo and Avilés.

peregrina2000

Staff member
It's good to know that it's entirely doable if we need to walk it in a long day...thanks! Not sure who or when it was posted that it was a 3 day walk. 🤔
It just occurred to me that the three day reference might be talking about Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero to Oviedo to Avilés (3 days) versus Villaviciosa to Gijón to Avilés (2 days) for people who are walking the Norte and might want to dip down to Oviedo. It’s only one more day than staying up on the Norte and going to Avilés via Gijón.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
That makes sense, Laurie. I probably misinterpreted what was said. Maybe if I hear no reply from that hotel at the halfway point I'll not be too concerned. I'd just thought my newbie might prefer to "ease in" slowly on her first day...and I certainly wouldn't mind either.😊

AJGuillaume

Pélerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
This may be a late contribution, but last year we walked from Oviedo to Avilés in two days, stopping at the Hotel Royal on 10 October.
I recorded 16.6km from Oviedo to the hotel, and 24km from there to Avilés.
We booked the hotel through booking.com. We paid €85, room only. There's a restaurant on site. WiFi was free but intermittent :)
Buen Camino!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Thank you, AJ. I tried booking.com for,Hotel Royal, but it showed sold out. I then emailed them in English as Laurie had contacted them on my behalf and apparently they did have rooms available, but never heard back so decided to bite the bullet and take it in one long day. In a pinch I assume we could get a taxi for the final stretch but hope we don't need to.

AJGuillaume

Pélerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Thank you, AJ. I tried booking.com for,Hotel Royal, but it showed sold out. I then emailed them in English as Laurie had contacted them on my behalf and apparently they did have rooms available, but never heard back so decided to bite the bullet and take it in one long day. In a pinch I assume we could get a taxi for the final stretch but hope we don't need to.
I recall bus stops along the stretch from the hotel to Avilés, but we didn't see any buses all the while we walked. There is a bus stop at the hotel.
And as you mentioned, there's always a taxi option.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I recall bus stops along the stretch from the hotel to Avilés, but we didn't see any buses all the while we walked. There is a bus stop at the hotel.
And as you mentioned, there's always a taxi option.
I will be in Santiago on May 8th and 9th and think I'd read you may be there around that time, too. I have plans to meet up with two forum members who volunteer in the pilgrim office. Not sure of when we are getting together, but if timing worked, possibly you could join us.

AJGuillaume

Pélerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
I will be in Santiago on May 8th and 9th and think I'd read you may be there around that time, too. I have plans to meet up with two forum members who volunteer in the pilgrim office. Not sure of when we are getting together, but if timing worked, possibly you could join us.
I would love to join you, but I'll be at the Pilgrim Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port from 4 to 11 May... At the other end of the Camino :)

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%