• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo to Aviles...1, 2 or 3 days walking?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I am in a quandry regarding how much time I will need walking from Oviedo to Aviles. I prefer walking 20k days when possible, but have read this stretch takes one day, but have also read three. In looking at the gronze website, I'm not seeing many lodging choices. I am more often booking ahead the last couple of years and prefer booking.com. Probably taking two days would be sufficient if I can find an overnight accomodation. Any advise from those of you who have walked this stretch? Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Using Google maps, Oviedo to Aviles is some 30K

Not sure about the route but there's a Hotel Royal at La Miranda along the AS17 that seems half-way
I have walked 30k a number of times, but am bringing a newbie and I haven't looked at elevation changes. I saw that hotel on Gronzi, too, but it was "sold out" on my dates. It was a great halfway point. There are three of us and possibly that will create a few issues as some hotels do not have rooms for three.
Thank you for taking the time to look, I appreciate it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am in a quandry regarding how much time I will need walking from Oviedo to Aviles. I prefer walking 20k days when possible, but have read this stretch takes one day, but have also read three. In looking at the gronze website, I'm not seeing many lodging choices. I am more often booking ahead the last couple of years and prefer booking.com. Probably taking two days would be sufficient if I can find an overnight accomodation. Any advise from those of you who have walked this stretch? Thanks!

Hi, Chris, There isn’t much elevation gain, and the exit from Oviedo is quite nice. There is some road walking, but nothing industrial.

I saw that even on their website, the reservations page was showing no availability from now through next year. So I called, and she confirmed that the website isn’t working. The hotel closes at the end of the year through March, but I think that you’ll be going after that. You can email the hotel, in English, with your reservation request. H.royal@hotmail.es

Hope this works. If not, let me know, buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Chris, There isn’t much elevation gain, and the exit from Oviedo is quite nice. There is some road walking, but nothing industrial.

I saw that even on their website, the reservations page was showing no availability from now through next year. So I called, and she confirmed that the website isn’t working. The hotel closes at the end of the year through March, but I think that you’ll be going after that. You can email the hotel, in English, with your reservation request. H.royal@hotmail.es

Hope this works. If not, let me know, buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, you are sooo helpful! Your awesome skills in speaking Spanish often produce great results for those of us who are "language challenged". I sent the hotel an email and will let you know when I hear back from them.
P.S. I look forward to hopefully seeing you in late November. 😊

Last edited:
Camino Chrissy, If La Miranda is an acceptable half way point and you can't secure a room, there is the possibility of going back to sleep in Oviedo and return to La Miranda the following morning.
Check with ALSA . There are buses running every hour or so, starting very early and ending very late.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Chrissy, If La Miranda is an acceptable half way point and you can't secure a room, there is the possibility of going back to sleep in Oviedo and return to La Miranda the following morning.
Check with ALSA . There are buses running every hour or so, starting very early and ending very late.
I will consider this if the hotel can not accommodate us. Thank you!

Here’s my (tattered) walking plan from March 2018.....I deviated to avoid Gijon/Aviles section as per recommendation here and enjoyed it. You can see where I stayed..l..no issue or need to reserve if you’re willing to stay in municipal,albergues.

Attachments

• 31DD3F8B-329A-4CEE-9B41-EA556A9459AA.jpeg
    31DD3F8B-329A-4CEE-9B41-EA556A9459AA.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 54
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here’s my (tattered) walking plan from March 2018.....I deviated to avoid Gijon/Aviles section as per recommendation here and enjoyed it. You can see where I stayed..l..no issue or need to reserve if you’re willing to stay in municipal,albergues.
Thank you, I'll take a look. I favor a variety of both types of lodgings...a bed is a bed!

I walked that section a few weeks ago and agree with Martyduc. Its an easy, but fairly long day. There is a good sideria about 2/3rds of the way along, at Aguera, just off the road on the right. Asador los Manjares. sideria Asador Los Manjares, near Aviles.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But there are no albergues between Oviedo and Avilés.

It's good to know that it's entirely doable if we need to walk it in a long day...thanks! Not sure who or when it was posted that it was a 3 day walk. 🤔
It just occurred to me that the three day reference might be talking about Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero to Oviedo to Avilés (3 days) versus Villaviciosa to Gijón to Avilés (2 days) for people who are walking the Norte and might want to dip down to Oviedo. It’s only one more day than staying up on the Norte and going to Avilés via Gijón.

That makes sense, Laurie. I probably misinterpreted what was said. Maybe if I hear no reply from that hotel at the halfway point I'll not be too concerned. I'd just thought my newbie might prefer to "ease in" slowly on her first day...and I certainly wouldn't mind either.😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This may be a late contribution, but last year we walked from Oviedo to Avilés in two days, stopping at the Hotel Royal on 10 October.
I recorded 16.6km from Oviedo to the hotel, and 24km from there to Avilés.
We booked the hotel through booking.com. We paid €85, room only. There's a restaurant on site. WiFi was free but intermittent :)
Buen Camino!

Thank you, AJ. I tried booking.com for,Hotel Royal, but it showed sold out. I then emailed them in English as Laurie had contacted them on my behalf and apparently they did have rooms available, but never heard back so decided to bite the bullet and take it in one long day. In a pinch I assume we could get a taxi for the final stretch but hope we don't need to.

Thank you, AJ. I tried booking.com for,Hotel Royal, but it showed sold out. I then emailed them in English as Laurie had contacted them on my behalf and apparently they did have rooms available, but never heard back so decided to bite the bullet and take it in one long day. In a pinch I assume we could get a taxi for the final stretch but hope we don't need to.
I recall bus stops along the stretch from the hotel to Avilés, but we didn't see any buses all the while we walked. There is a bus stop at the hotel.
And as you mentioned, there's always a taxi option.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recall bus stops along the stretch from the hotel to Avilés, but we didn't see any buses all the while we walked. There is a bus stop at the hotel.
And as you mentioned, there's always a taxi option.
I will be in Santiago on May 8th and 9th and think I'd read you may be there around that time, too. I have plans to meet up with two forum members who volunteer in the pilgrim office. Not sure of when we are getting together, but if timing worked, possibly you could join us.

I will be in Santiago on May 8th and 9th and think I'd read you may be there around that time, too. I have plans to meet up with two forum members who volunteer in the pilgrim office. Not sure of when we are getting together, but if timing worked, possibly you could join us.

I would love to join you, but I'll be at the Pilgrim Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port from 4 to 11 May... At the other end of the Camino :)

Hi - I just posted a similar question, among others, on a thread I started and then found Camino Chrissy's thread. I fly into Asturias airport mid May. I have 15 full days to walk to Santiago and I'm loving my flexibility. What if I did this route backwards to get to Oviedo? I could either start walking straight from the airport (and hope I don't get run over) or get public transportation to Avilés and walk to Oviedo from there. I'll most probably start in Villaviciosa but the idea of not having to get there after flying Washington Dulles to London to Madrid to Asturias is kind of tempting. What would you guys suggest I do?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It just occurred to me that the three day reference might be talking about Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero to Oviedo to Avilés (3 days) versus Villaviciosa to Gijón to Avilés (2 days) for people who are walking the Norte and might want to dip down to Oviedo. It’s only one more day than staying up on the Norte and going to Avilés via Gijón.

I followed your routing as such in March 2018 and thoroughly enjoyed it peregrina2000! I’d love to see/stay at the Carmelite convent in the summer. I agree after the climb out of Oviedo the route to Aviles is easy and doable for anyone if you take your time.

Hi - I just posted a similar question, among others, on a thread I started and then found Camino Chrissy's thread. I fly into Asturias airport mid May. I have 15 full days to walk to Santiago and I'm loving my flexibility. What if I did this route backwards to get to Oviedo? I could either start walking straight from the airport (and hope I don't get run over) or get public transportation to Avilés and walk to Oviedo from there. I'll most probably start in Villaviciosa but the idea of not having to get there after flying Washington Dulles to London to Madrid to Asturias is kind of tempting. What would you guys suggest I do?

I gave some opinions on your similar question in the other thread, but l will just add that I think that the route from Villaviciosa to Oviedo is nicer than the route from Avilés to Oviedo. But if you can figure out how to walk backwards without getting lost a million times, it would be much easier just get a bus to Avilés from the airport (I assume you know you can also get a bus directly into Oviedo from the airport) and then walk to Oviedo.

But the Villaviciosa starting point is not complicated either. Get the airport bus into Gijón (there are airport buses that go to Oviedo, Gijón, and Avilés) and then a bus from Gijón to Villaviciosa. There are more than 15 buses a day, here is the Alsa website, the list is so long I had to do two screen shots. Spain really does know how to do public transportation!

Attachments

• 36B33B0E-A6D1-4149-A34B-136EA34939B0.png
    36B33B0E-A6D1-4149-A34B-136EA34939B0.png
    658.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3DAFD561-27F2-4FE5-9C63-6F9A0F4570C0.png
    3DAFD561-27F2-4FE5-9C63-6F9A0F4570C0.png
    623.7 KB · Views: 9
I gave some opinions on your similar question in the other thread, but l will just add that I think that the route from Villaviciosa to Oviedo is nicer than the route from Avilés to Oviedo. But if you can figure out how to walk backwards without getting lost a million times, it would be much easier just get a bus to Avilés from the airport (I assume you know you can also get a bus directly into Oviedo from the airport) and then walk to Oviedo.

But the Villaviciosa starting point is not complicated either. Get the airport bus into Gijón (there are airport buses that go to Oviedo, Gijón, and Avilés) and then a bus from Gijón to Villaviciosa. There are more than 15 buses a day, here is the Alsa website, the list is so long I had to do two screen shots. Spain really does know how to do public transportation!
Laurie, I was just now trying to look at the Alsa bus schedule! No luck for me...maybe your expertise can help me. I'm looking at it from the airport in Gijon to Oviedo for April 20th...one way of course. It's within the 90 day period. Thank you for any help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Chris,
The airport is not in Gijón, it’s in a spot that is kind of in the middle of a circle made by Oviedo, Avilés and Gijón. So maybe that’s why you can’t find the schedule. Go to Alsa, plug in Aeropuerto de Asturias as departure and Oviedo as arrival. There is a bus every hour on the hour till 6 pm, and then the departures are at 7:30, 8:30, and 9:45.

What time are you arriving?

Attachments

• 82048234-11A6-4813-9615-CCA43CC51E31.png
    82048234-11A6-4813-9615-CCA43CC51E31.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi, Chris,
The airport is not in Gijón, it’s in a spot that is kind of in the middle of a circle made by Oviedo, Avilés and Gijón. So maybe that’s why you can’t find the schedule. Go to Alsa, plug in Aeropuerto de Asturias as departure and Oviedo as arrival. There is a bus every hour on the hour till 6 pm, and then the departures are at 7:30, 8:30, and 9:45.

What time are you arriving?
Thank you so much, Laurie. I suspected you'd be able to help me! 😚
We arrive at OVD (Oviedo) at 12:50pm.

Thank you so much, Laurie. I suspected you'd be able to help me! 😚
We arrive at OVD (Oviedo) at 12:50pm.
Happy to be of service, amiga. You probably won’t make the 1 pm bus, but I have made a bus to Oviedo with a similar amount of time, it was probably the same flight from Madrid. I think sometimes the bus drivers wait a little if a plane has just arrived, but of course you can’t count on that. In any event, you will arrive with plenty of day left. Are you staying an extra day in Oviedo before walking?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Happy to be of service, amiga. You probably won’t make the 1 pm bus, but I have made a bus to Oviedo with a similar amount of time, it was probably the same flight from Madrid. I think sometimes the bus drivers wait a little if a plane has just arrived, but of course you can’t count on that. In any event, you will arrive with plenty of day left. Are you staying an extra day in Oviedo before walking?
Yes, we are staying an extra day so two nights... then taking just one day to walk on to Avilas.

I love ALSA! I took it from Barajas to Logroño, Barajas to Burgos, and Barajas to León as I was doing the Frances bit by bit and then walked about 10km each time straight off the bus. Nothing like walking on little to no sleep!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back