• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo to Ponferrada

Lillie17176

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting in mid-June 2014
I am going to walk the last 100K of the Camino with a friend in June. We are flying from Madrid to Oviedo and will then need to get to Ponferrada. What is the best way to do this? Should we rent a car and drive there? Should we rent a car in Madrid instead?
Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two buses are listed only until January 13, 2014. ALSA tends to renew scheduled runs, but there is never any guarantee:

(Puede ordenar la tabla presionado sobre la cabecera de la columna que desea ordenar)

Origen Destino Salida Llegada Duración Precio Ida Precio Ida y Vuelta desde hasta Servicio Plazas Itinerario días
Oviedo / Uviéu Ponferrada 08:30 11:45 3h 15min 17.14€ 32.57€ 26/06/2003 31/12/2014 normal no ver Itinerario Oviedo / Uviéu - Ponferrada - 08:30 (abre en nueva ventana) LMXJVSD
Oviedo / Uviéu Ponferrada 15:30 18:30 3h 00min 17.14€ 32.57€ 01/09/2013 13/01/2014 normal no ver Itinerario Oviedo / Uviéu - Ponferrada - 15:30 (abre en nueva ventana) LMXJVSD
Oviedo / Uviéu Ponferrada 19:00 22:15 3h 15min 17.14€ 32.57€ 01/09/2013 13/01/2014 normal no ver Itinerario Oviedo / Uviéu - Ponferrada - 19:00 (abre en nueva ventana) LMXJVSD

Two buses are listed only until January 13, 2014. ALSA tends to renew scheduled runs, but there is never any guarantee

Yeah the website doesn't like doing schedules very far in advance, I found that when trying to plan last summer's trip.

Ponferrada is also on the train network. I'm pretty sure the Santiago - Madrid train I was on stopped there.

You can take a train from Oviedo to Leon, then change for Ponferrada. You also can take a FEVE train (much slower, but quite scenic) from Oviedo to Ferrol, and change for Santiago there (or walk those 100 km from Ferrol to Santiago on the Camino Ingles.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have now changed the thread title to "Oviedo to Ponferrada". :)
Buen camino.
Susanna/Mod.

Ok update. Now I have Really changed it to "Oviedo to Ponferrada".
:D

You can take a train from Oviedo to Leon, then change for Ponferrada. You also can take a FEVE train (much slower, but quite scenic) from Oviedo to Ferrol, and change for Santiago there (or walk those 100 km from Ferrol to Santiago on the Camino Ingles.)
If you decide to walk the Camino Inglés there are 2 trains (FEVE) per day from Oviedo to Ferrol. They leave from the FEVE section of the station at 7.47 and 14.47, arriving in Ferrol at 14.09 and 21.11. It might be possible to catch the train at a station nearer to the airport, such as Pravia (8.47 and 15.52) or Muros de Nalón (8.57 and 16.02), but it would need careful checking. The link from Gijon to Pravia goes almost past the airport - at Santiago del Monte. Sorry we do not have the train times for this stretch, but they should be on the RENFE/FEVE site. Tickets cannot be booked in advance on the FEVE.
Buen Camino, whichever route you walk.

Take the train from Madrid to Ponferrada. 4 - 6 hours depending on the train.

You do yourself no favours flying to Oviedo.

Renfe train
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

What would you do with a rented car once you started walking?

Ponferrada is 200km from Santiago ... Sarria is the start point if you only want the last 100 km (and Sarria is 115 km out)

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back