Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela

christa

I would love to know how long it has taken a few people from Oviedo to Santiago?
I believe the distance is 227 kms approximately?
I would like to do it in 12 days and am not as young and as fit as I used to be, what do you think?
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Christa,
I plan to walk the Primitivo in August. I think it could take me 9-10 days to get to Lugo, depending on weather I do the Hospitales route or not. After Lugo I haven't decided yet, I might take a bus to Ferrol and walk the Ingles to Santiago, that would be another 5 days. Or I continue on to the French and the crowds....I'm not young either, but working hard on my fitness, I would say it could be doable in 12 days but personally I wouldn't risk on planning to do it that way. I like to feel I have an extra day or two if I get blisters or simply like to change my mind and stay somewhere for a day. May be I need to rest or maybe it's just a beautiful place.
Couldn't you get another couple of days so you don't feel you have to push yourself every´day?
Wishing you good luck if you decide to go.
Josefine

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Christa,
I think 12 days will be pushing it too far. I took 11 days to Lugo last year and would not want to try it under 10!! I was at the time 66 years old and fairly fit, having walked from Santander to Oviedo. If you had been walking through the mud and water in May this year you would need to plan on 15 days to Lugo! A number of etapas run out at 28 / 30 k, so combining some of the shorter ones you could perhaps cut down to 9 - 10 days to Lugo. From Lugo to Santiago could be 4 days via Melide missing out Palais do Rei.

blessings on your walking
Terry

Hi there - this is what I did last year on the final leg of a 2,000km Camino:-

Oviedo - San Juan de Villapanda - 29.5kms
San Juan de Villapanda - Bodenaya - 25.4 kms
Bodenaya - Borres - 27.4kms
Borres - La Mesa (via Hospiatles - the "high" road) approx 30.5kms
La Mesa - Castro - 20kms
Castro - Padron - 21.6kms
Padron - Cadavo Baleira - 22.9 kms
Cadavo Baleira - Lugo
Lugo - San Roman Retorta (via the "roman road") - 20kms
San Roman Retorta - Melide - 29.8kms

Now the next bit is usually taken in a few stages, but I had a "bee in my bonnet" and kept walking until I got to Monte de Goza (from Melide). It was partly due to the enormous crowds I met after a very solitary Camino, and partly because I had a hankering to stay in MDG and partly because - well - I could! I was very fit by then having walked from Troyes in France, and the weather was good too. In inclement weather it might be more difficult to do these distances. Normally this stage would be done in 2 or 3 days with stops at somewhere like Azua, and Ribadiso or Arco.

Any way - hope that helps, Janet

Hello again,
Combining Janet's distances above with mine last year, Oviedo to Santiago is something over 300 kilometers (310?). As well as the distances it needs to be remembered that there are a number of places where it is a long slog uphill. I can remember thinking "only 5 kilometers to Grandas de Salime from here" when I crossed the dam. What I didn't think about was that it is all on pavimiento and all uphill. All 5 kilometers of it and a gradient of at least 1 in 10. Over 500 meters in 5 kilometers on a hot day.
Depends on how fit you are and how fast you want to go through some amazing scenery.

Buen Camino
Terry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You could avoid the crowds on the Camino Frances by getting a bus or train to el Ferrol from Lugo and walking the Ingles back down to Santiago. We did that in 3 days last year.

Sillydoll, I have tried to find the timetable for buses Lugo-Ferrol on arriva.es. But Ferrol isn't in the list of "destinations" if I chose Lugo as "origin". I can pick Ferrol as starting point but not to Lugo. I suppose that means I have to change bus somewhere, but where?
If I chose this option instead of going from Lugo to the French I might perhaps not have the time to walk out to Finisterre/Muxia, I think I would have the time to go out by bus though and I really can't make my mind up.
Josefine

Oooh... I know the feeling! Choices, choices ... decisions, decisions!
Maybe play it by ear. Keep these timetables handy and if you get to Sarria a day early, you could get the bus to Lugo and then to Ferrol. Walk 3/4 days to Santiago and then 3 days to Fisterra.

Here is your Lugo - Ferrol link:
http://arriva.es/resultado-de-busqueda/ ... &busc.y=34

Services between Lugo and Ferrol

Exit Arrival Time Cost Line Map
11:00 13:25 2:29 € 10.10 Lugo E.A. - Ferrol (station)
13:15 15:55 2:44 € 10.10 Lugo E.A. - Ferrol (station)
16:00 18:25 2:29 € 10.10 Lugo E.A. - Ferrol (station)
18:30 20:40 2:14 € 10.10 Lugo E.A. - Ferrol (station)

Saturdays at 11:30, 16:15 and 18:30
Sundays at 16:15 and 18:30

Let us know how it works out!
Sil

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Sill, you found it for me :D it's great to know there will be several departures a day. But I am not walking to Sarria, you got me wrong there, I'll do the Primitivo, starting in Oviedo. You mention 3,4 days for the Inglés, isn't that pushing it? I thought most people took 5 days?
I wish I had more time, I am interested also in the San Salvador route but perhaps that will have to wait... I'm sure I'll be in the class of 2011 as well :wink:
Josefine

Ooops! That's right - we took 5 days on the Ingles.
Pontedeume - Bestanzos - Bruma - Sigueiro - Santiago.

Hate to say it but I did it this year in 9 days, but then I was fit, up and over my problems with feet & legs; and weather had completely dried out by then. 12 to 14 days would be reasonable for a fair walker. (If you look at Spanish tourist board suggestions they split the Primitivo into 24 or so stages, & I don,t know where the accommodation appears from, either in some locations at end of stages. Very unhelpful.) Always keep asking for information ahead & get it confirmed if possible.
The 'difficulties' are Lugo to Melide, where it is 50+ km which cn be done in a day BUT currently there is NOT information that there is a SUBSTITUTE albergue in Melide whilst the actual municipal one is being upgraded. (Nothing at albergue and no info as you approach from the Primitivo route. Whereas, the C. Frances pilgrims gets signs explaining all this.) If in time head for main church and very nearby is the \tourist Information HIDDEN in the museum very close by. They will give you a map with the new location (a warehouse hangar, but OK with hot water & showers & sleeping rooms divided into around 20's.) But the Tourist info tell you nothing which adds to potential to further confusion, as the map shows albergue being the , 'original'.
Earlier, Salas has quite limited Albergue space (get there early) and not much else on ofer around there.
Getting to Fonsagrada (from Berducedo) is another long walk & I found bars closed towards end of day (or non-existent) so beware CSJ book references. Nonetheless as the walking season progresses it will become better, easier. You ought to do the Grandas de Salime stopover, but everyone seems to have complained about the small size & cramped spaces in this albergue.

Yet, Primitivo needs more personal organisation but is WELL worth the effort, with friendliness of local people and walkers, views and solitude.
Hope some of this helps,
Regards,
Valdis

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hate to say it but I did it this year in 9 days, but then I was fit, up and over my problems with feet & legs; and weather had completely dried out by then. 12 to 14 days would be reasonable for a fair walker. (If you look at Spanish tourist board suggestions they split the Primitivo into 24 or so stages, & I don,t know where the accommodation appears from, either in some locations at end of stages. Very unhelpful.) Always keep asking for information ahead & get it confirmed if possible.
The 'difficulties' are Lugo to Melide, where it is 50+ km which cn be done in a day BUT currently there is NOT information that there is a SUBSTITUTE albergue in Melide whilst the actual municipal one is being upgraded. (Nothing at albergue and no info as you approach from the Primitivo route. Whereas, the C. Frances pilgrims gets signs explaining all this.) If in time head for main church and very nearby is the \tourist Information HIDDEN in the museum very close by. They will give you a map with the new location (a warehouse hangar, but OK with hot water & showers & sleeping rooms divided into around 20's.) But the Tourist info tell you nothing which adds to potential to further confusion, as the map shows albergue being the , 'original'.
Earlier, Salas has quite limited Albergue space (get there early) and not much else on ofer around there.
Getting to Fonsagrada (from Berducedo) is another long walk & I found bars closed towards end of day (or non-existent) so beware CSJ book references. Nonetheless as the walking season progresses it will become better, easier. You ought to do the Grandas de Salime stopover, but everyone seems to have complained about the small size & cramped spaces in this albergue.

Yet, Primitivo needs more personal organisation but is WELL worth the effort, with friendliness of local people and walkers, views and solitude.
Hope some of this helps,
Regards,
Valdis

I am very interested in this primitivo Norte route from Oviedo to Santiago . I have about 4 weeks in Spain from around 23 September .
I have already walked Camino Frances in 2015 from St Jean to Santiago / and last year (2017 ) i walked from Porto to Santiago -then from Santiago to Finesterre .

I will arrive in Madrid on 23 Sept 2018 and interested in catching a train -and then walking from Sahugun to Leon (via Bercianos -on the Camino frances where I was a hospitelero last October ) . Then possibly catching a train or bus from Leon to Oviedo to walk this route as something different and new for me.

I'm still working it out as I go

This thread is eight years old, but as long as it’s been bumped, let’s roll with it. Mark, you could also walk the Salvador from León to Oviedo as part of your Camino. People who have done it say it’s spectacular.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am very interested in this primitivo Norte route from Oviedo to Santiago . I have about 4 weeks in Spain from around 23 September .
I have already walked Camino Frances in 2015 from St Jean to Santiago / and last year (2017 ) i walked from Porto to Santiago -then from Santiago to Finesterre .

I will arrive in Madrid on 23 Sept 2018 and interested in catching a train -and then walking from Sahugun to Leon (via Bercianos -on the Camino frances where I was a hospitelero last October ) . Then possibly catching a train or bus from Leon to Oviedo to walk this route as something different and new for me.

I'm still working it out as I go
I second the suggestion on adding the Salvador. That means no bus, just feet, from Sahagun to Santiago. I've walked the Salvador three times now and am always looking for ways to get back. Maybe this is why:

FromBuiza5.jpg

fromBuiza8.jpg

Wow..Thanks so much for the insights . I really appreciate it ! I didn't think of doing the Salvador before but now it has my mind ticking over . It sounds amazing actually .I have about 4 weeks in Spain . I wonder if this would give me sufficient time to walk Leon to Oviedo on Salvador then Oviedo to Santiago ?

I really appreciate this information .

Thankyou kindly

Wow..Thanks so much for the insights . I really appreciate it ! I didn't think of doing the Salvador before but now it has my mind ticking over . It sounds amazing actually .I have about 4 weeks in Spain . I wonder if this would give me sufficient time to walk Leon to Oviedo on Salvador then Oviedo to Santiago ?

I really appreciate this information .

Thankyou kindly

Hi, Mark,

I think four weeks is more than enough. León to Oviedo is anywhere from 4-9 days. I've walked it in 4 and 5 days. It's 120 km, but there is some elevation gain (nothing like after Orisson). Best guide I know of is Ender´s guide, which is in the resources section, translated into English. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-del-salvador-guide-in-english.590/

Two weeks for the Primitivo is probably average, but I have also walked it in 11 and 12.
https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo

With four weeks for walking, you could probably go back to the original plan and start in Sahagún. No more than three days to León from there. Lots of forum members are familiar with, and love, the Salvador and can answer questions.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thankyou ever so much for this information ! I really appreciate it . There are still a few months until I leave ..(22 Sept 2018 ) so I will reflect on it a bit more , and keep my walking training going and then take it as it comes once I arrive . The walk from Leon to Oviedo (San Salvador ) and then continuing on to Santiago from Oviedo on the Primitivo is very appealing because it will be a totally new Camino pathway for me . The fact that it fits well within my 4 week time frame means that I have some flexibility for some side trips , or continuing to muxia or whatever seems like a good option at the time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back