• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oviedo to Santiago

Celi Anatrella

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
What are my alternatives to reach Santiago if I'm in Oviedo and I have 13 days to make it there? I am considering the Camino Primitivo (June 23 to July 5) but I'm learning that it's quite rainy... and wanted to know my options. Also... am I crazy walking the Primitivo if I don't have boots, but trail runners (or whatever the name of those other shoes are) and they are not waterproof. Could I walk it in trekking sandals if it's too wet? I'm doubting my plan as you can tell... and looking for alternatives... Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What are my alternatives to reach Santiago if I'm in Oviedo and I have 13 days to make it there? I am considering the Camino Primitivo (June 23 to July 5) but I'm learning that it's quite rainy... and wanted to know my options. Also... am I crazy walking the Primitivo if I don't have boots, but trail runners (or whatever the name of those other shoes are) and they are not waterproof. Could I walk it in trekking sandals if it's too wet? I'm doubting my plan as you can tell... and looking for alternatives... Thanks!
I walked most of the Norte in trekking sandals last year in a lot of rain and mud. I'm currently in Pamplona on the Francés, and wearing sandals again. I plan to walk the Camino del Salvador when I reach León, then I will connect to the Norte at Oviedo. I plan 13 days for Oviedo to Santiago, but I have some wiggle room. These are the stages that I'm considering. The first column is km
Screenshot_20190514-135255_Sheets.jpg

Absolutely doable in 13 days and with trail runners or sandals. I hiked Norte and Primitivo in 2017, switching between trail runners and sandals. If it rains, just embrace the suck and accept that you are going to have wet feet or wear some plastic bags over your socks inside the shoes. You'll be fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another option is to drop down (via bus) and finish up your Camino on the Frances. However from what I hear, it will be quite the different experience than the Primitivo.

It depends on how well you do with wet feet; go for a trial walk in the rain with your shoes and see how you feel. We had lots of rain on our last camino and I was very glad to have (cheap but effective) waterproof boots. My husband claims he was absolutely fine with his trail shoes (or whatever the technical term for sturdy trainers may be) and did not mind at all squelching along the way...

I should add that his one and only purchase for our next camino has been a pair of waterproof shoes. ;)

I walked most of the Norte in trekking sandals last year in a lot of rain and mud. I'm currently in Pamplona on the Francés, and wearing sandals again. I plan to walk the Camino del Salvador when I reach León, then I will connect to the Norte at Oviedo. I plan 13 days for Oviedo to Santiago, but I have some wiggle room. These are the stages that I'm considering. The first column is km
View attachment 57269
I have planned that but take the Primitivo in Oviedo. Thks for sharing your plan and Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It depends on how well you do with wet feet; go for a trial walk in the rain with your shoes and see how you feel. We had lots of rain on our last camino and I was very glad to have (cheap but effective) waterproof boots. My husband claims he was absolutely fine with his trail shoes (or whatever the technical term for sturdy trainers may be) and did not mind at all squelching along the way...

I should add that his one and only purchase for our next camino has been a pair of waterproof shoes. ;)
May I need to buy waterproof shoes? 🤣 But... if my plan is to use a poncho and let my shoes get wet... will getting waterproof shoes help at all? I was gonna use sandals in rainy days, but not if it’s several days and long walking days... that won’t work, will it? I’m so clueless...

What makes you think it is quit rainy on the Primitivo? When it rains on the primitivo, most times it rains all over Galicia. :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Primitivo mid May 2016 in trail runners...no problem whatsoever, and not too much rain. Hard to believe the summer months would be worse. Take your time and if needed you can bus into Santiago from Lugo, but you will not qualify for a compostela if that is important to you...it's a beautiful Camino...rain or shine!

I was gonna use sandals in rainy days, but not if it’s several days and long walking days... that won’t work, will it?
Of course it will work. Why wouldn't it. I walked many rainy days on the Norte in sandals. One of which was 30+ km, and it rained all day. When I stopped for a break I took off my socks, wrong them out, then put them back on. I now have a pair of Sealskinz socks that I'll wear on wet days.
However, the important thing is - how much experience do you have hiking in sandals?

Trail runners were fine for me walking the Primitivo this April (La Sportiva without Gortex), even on the one day of rain we had but I have been wearing trail runners already for years and on all kinds of Caminos and terrain. They work for me :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back