• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Own bike or renting ?

NixoN94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte (2020)
Hi

I am awaiting approval to read the guide on the forum but I was wondering what my best option is ?
I'm an experienced rider and plan to ride 100k/day for about 10 days starting from Biarritz to Santiago de Compostela. I have a few extra days if it would be needed.

Now I was wondering what my best option is since I am flying in from Belgium. Is it the cheapest option and even possible to rent a bike around Biarritz or Saint Jean Pied de Port and give it back somewhere in SDC ? I would be flying back from SDC so I'm not sure if the bike needs to go back to SJPDP ?

Is there another option to get my own bike on the route via a paying service ? Does ryanair allow a bike to be put on the plane or are there other companies ?

Thanks for your answers, I'm looking to do this in october by the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi

I am awaiting approval to read the guide on the forum but I was wondering what my best option is ?
I'm an experienced rider and plan to ride 100k/day for about 10 days starting from Biarritz to Santiago de Compostela. I have a few extra days if it would be needed.

Now I was wondering what my best option is since I am flying in from Belgium. Is it the cheapest option and even possible to rent a bike around Biarritz or Saint Jean Pied de Port and give it back somewhere in SDC ? I would be flying back from SDC so I'm not sure if the bike needs to go back to SJPDP ?

Is there another option to get my own bike on the route via a paying service ? Does ryanair allow a bike to be put on the plane or are there other companies ?

I rode the VDLP in 2019. I rented a bike in Sevilla and dropped it off in Santiago. Here are two websites with information on how their rental program works:

https://www.cycling-rentals.com/

Both seem very similar in how they arrange bike drop-offs, prices for their rentals, and other general services.

This type of company may be your best option if you go the rental route. Enjoy your ride. Buen Camino.

Hi

I live in southern Spain near Murcia. I’ve just finished a week’s cycling around Flanders in northern Belgium. I took my own bike return on Tuifly from Murcia to Ostend. The bike and packed panniers travelled as oversized luggage and had to be packed correctly. I used a strong cardboard bike box from a bike shop or post office. Front wheel, pedals and saddle had to be removed and handlebars turned in. Cost was Euros 55 each way. You can use a soft bike cover also.

In October I hope to cycle part of the VDLP and plan to send my bike to Sevilla via the postal network Correos. I think Correos also send bikes internationally so it’s worth checking if Belgium Post do the same to a post office near your start point. Here’s a link https://www.correos.es/es/en/individuals/send/national-deliveries/envio-de-bicicletas

I loved having my own bike but as I learnt, bike hire in Belgium was really easy! Good luck and keep us posted on your plans.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm travelling from US in Sept 2023, after much thought (and math), for me it makes sense to bring my own. I will be bringing in a cheap used bike, which I can leave behind if necessary. It is important for me to be familiar with the bike before the trip, so I will test it thoroughly. Being used to the seat and making sure I can ride it for weeks is important for me.

If you do bring your own bike by air, it will depend on the airline. Some are €50 but others €100. And as @Jesnat mentions, it is best to pack it carefully. Once you get to SdC you can send it back to Belgium by Correos for about €85 which includes the price of the box. Their office is just down from the Cathedral.

The economics are marginal as Spain has a good supply of hire companies with a well maintained selection of bikes. Bring your own lights/tools though.

Some pics from SdC

Attachments

• IMG_3528.JPG
    IMG_3528.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Hola, @NixoN94 Given your experience as a cyclist and that you are located in Belgium I would have recommended bringing your own. But since you intend to fly that might be an issue.
As for renting there are a number of Spanish and/or Portugese bike rental companies. But from what I recall when I investigated a few years back they appeared to only allow you to pick up the bike in Spain and return it to a city in Spain.
If you did bring your own bike you will have to find some organisation to help with the return packing. Unfortunately the really helpful shop in Santiago closed sometime last year. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Belgium? Get the train. Push the bike on. Connect at Lille rather than Paris if that works for you. Direct train (very early....) To Bordeaux. You can sleep in the youth hostel in Lille and you will need to book the bike and pay for it as it's a TGV.

Last edited:
Now I was wondering what my best option is since I am flying in from Belgium.
This kind of problem has very much pre-occupied me over the years. I think I might have tried every option by now. I've rented twice, bought and given away a used bike once, flown in a folding bike once - never again - and flown my own MTB ida y vuelta from Australia. Then I bought a new "dream" bike in Madrid, rode it to Santiago and then to Brittany where I ferried it to Cork and left it with my son for my future caminos. Great plan, but covid intervened. So what next in 2023. The plan is to fly to Ireland with my Evoc bike bag. Pack and fly to Bilbao. Forward the bag by Correos to Ivar, then fly back to Ireland where I will leave the bike again for 2024. I know it sounds crazy, but I will (obviously) go to any lengths to ride the camino on my dream machine. I realise that some will wonder why I don't just repatriate the bike to Australia. I do too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 138325 Lovely. 9kg of pure bliss.
Is that a Scott Scale RC? / carbon? Nice bike, not really a touring bike but I have bike-packed on a CF MTbike once or twice. Yes, I can sympathise with the dilemma of travelling with a bike or buying / renting on arrival. I have always flown with my own bike though once bought a bike in Perth to ride the Munda Biddi then brought it home. Here in Spain it's easy - Correos! To the OP I'd say if you're an experienced rider contemplating 100km / day then use your own bike, to me it's a no-brainer. Buen viaje, Richard

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back