• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pacer Poles

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
I want to try them. Looking at the website I see there is a choice of materials and packages, 2 or 3 sections, etc. Can someone who uses them advice me on what to order? I am short (5'2") and want to bring them on plane for Camino. Thanks for your help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello. I walked my very first Camino in May-July this year from SJPdP to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and walked every step of the way with my Pacer Poles which I loved. With my dodgy knees it was wise choice. I couldn't have done it without them and they proved invaluable going up hills and especially down them. I found them very comfortable and if I was tired could push back on them to give me some forward momentum too. When I stopped I could lean on them which was relaxing. One of the best purchases I made. I emailed Heather at Pacer Poles as I am 5'5" for guidance and her response was:

"I suggest the 3 section Alloys - as you are a Medium frame, then either the Alloys or the Carbons - but for your needs then I would go for the Alloys; these have the 18mm diam top section, down to 16mm and then 14mm for the bottom shaft ....whereas the Carbons are more slender with 16mm diam, to 14mm to 12mm. The 2-section would be good but the only downside is that the lower section is 80cm long -which might make it awkward to stow. If stowing 80cm isn't an issue then that's fine. Otherwise go for the Alloys. Any queries just ask."

Hope you have a great Camino. Regards Tony

I used x3 section alloys, separated they fit in my backback which I put in hold luggage

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Pacerpoles are great, I would say go for the lightweight carbons if you are using them for a camino but alloys if you will be using them in more rugged or challenging terrain. In a worst case scenario the carbons can snap if stuck or bent, the alloys will bend and can still be usable. You will probably not be allowed to take them on the plane so check them or send them to your starting point if you are in the EU - not from outside Europe or they could arrive long after you!

Hi, I walked the camino and also hike often and I have been using pacer poles for about four years I love them it's a small learning curve if you have been using regular poles, I have the metal ones just because if you ever get it stuck between a rock or something (I did) the carbons may break but the metal ones will bend and I can still use them, as for traveling it does not matter if it's carbon or still ( US) will not let you board with it, so what I do is make a box out of cardboard pack the poles, knife and scissors and check that but NEVER NEVER my backpack

Buen camino
Zzotte

as for traveling it does not matter if it's carbon or still ( US) will not let you board with it

FWIW, I flew to Paris and back from the US last month with alloy Pacer Poles in my carry on and not a word was said by anyone.

EDIT Actually, on the way home I carried them openly since I was using them to help me walk on a broken foot (undiagnosed at that point), but even just laying them out in the open on the security conveyor belt brought no protest of any kind.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alloy will bend if over-stressed. Carbon will shatter. The weight difference is negligible considering they are on the ground half the time.

I have walked two Caminos now with my Pacer Poles and I honestly think I could not have done it without them. Worth every penny and well worth the extra trouble of having to check them in at the Airport.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
FWIW, I flew to Paris and back from the US last month with alloy Pacer Poles in my carry on and not a word was said by anyone.

EDIT Actually, on the way home I carried them openly since I was using them to help me walk on a broken foot (undiagnosed at that point), but even just laying them out in the open on the security conveyor belt brought no protest of any kind.

Thats goes to show you, I got turned back so many times I gave up, so now I just check it in, that said someone told me at one time or other that if tell TSA that I need for support walking they let you, in my case it does not matter I still have my pocket knife and scissors :(

I want to try them. Looking at the website I see there is a choice of materials and packages, 2 or 3 sections, etc. Can someone who uses them advice me on what to order? I am short (5'2") and want to bring them on plane for Camino. Thanks for your help.
Hi I finished the Camino yesterday. St Jean to Santiago and used my five year old pacer poles. Mine are alloy and I walked with someone two days ago with carbon. There was very little Wright difference. I am 5'1" just a bit shorter. I checked mine in attached to my pack and then bubble wrapped. My pacer poles were invaluable out here Carbon or alloy is a personal choice I think Carbon may snap more easily and just a fraction lighter. Whichever you choose they will support you well. I wouldn't use any other sort of pole.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have the 3-section carbon Pacer Poles, which I have used the past six years with no issues whatsoever. They are smaller in cross-section than the metal ones, so I disassemble for packing for the air travel segments. I don't think I've ever had them in cabin baggage - always in the checked piece.

My wife has 3 piece carbon Pacer Poles. She takes apart and puts in pack.
She has always carries her pack, with poles inside, on board each time.

There has never been a question flying from the U.S. including stops and plane changes in both the US and Europe.

I do not use Pacer Poles (Z-poles) but have carried them on in pack every year since 2010 with no questions. Others who have carried them on board report no problems.

I always wonder when I hear people say that the poles are not allowed.
If you call the TSA or airline they will usually say no because they do not actually know and it is easier to just say no.

Thanks everyone. I just ordered 3 piece alloy pacer poles. Appreciate the advice!
I am happy for you getting your Pacer Poles. I was so undecided and fretting before my CF in 2012 whether they would work for me, or I should spend the money or... ? I was playing Words with Friends and two words crossed each other- pacer across and poles, going down. I have really been so pleased with my poles. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I love my carbon Pacer Poles!

images.jpg I used pacemaker poles (cheap on amazon $35 and great )but just as important ....I used the tips shown in picture. A lot of people wore thru the regular tips fast, these lasted me the entire Camino . I also had my pack as carry on (Osprey 40 + 10) and put my poles and Swiss army knife in a small bag and checked those items. Have fun !

View attachment 22196 I used pacemaker poles (cheap on amazon $35 and great )but just as important ....I used the tips shown in picture. A lot of people wore thru the regular tips fast, these lasted me the entire Camino . I also had my pack as carry on (Osprey 40 + 10) and put my poles and Swiss army knife in a small bag and checked those items. Have fun !
35$ on Amazon? Why would they sell them at such a deep discount? Are you sure they are Pacer Poles and not another brand?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
35$ on Amazon? Why would they sell them at such a deep discount? Are you sure they are Pacer Poles and not another brand?
No my $35 poles are not called pacer....but pacemaker poles. But those worked great for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.