• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pacerpoles on flights - can you take just the handles on board?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
As questions about poles on planes go, this is a case of 'same, same but not same': My friend and I will be walking in the new year, both with Pacerpoles (the ones with the odd and beautifully comfortable handles) and I was wondering - poles aren't allowed on planes because the metal tips can be used as weapons, but can you take the handle part on board?

EDIT: For clarity, the top section of the pole and the handle, as the handles do not come away from the pole/pipe/tube.

The length of the top section will be about 50 cms, so size wise it shouldn't be a problem. Sending the Pacers in the post is expensive because of the size and weight of the handles but sending the bottom two sections (times four for both of us) carbon sections would be a doddle - smaller, lighter and cheaper. Sending them through the hold will cost a lot more with the prices certain carriers charge for hold luggage these days - and two legs each way as well.

Does anyone know? Or if anyone is going through security somewhere in Europe and into Santiago, who are famous for confiscating poles, one of these days and feel like asking staff I'd be interested to know what they say ...

Buen Camino planning everyone!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As far as I know, the handles do not detach.
It would be great if they did. They would be much easier to transport in many situations.
Does someone know something different?

Sorry, @grayland - I should have been clearer. I mean the top part of the Pacerpole, so the the top part of the pipe/tube/stick including the handle. The poles come apart into three sections, but the handle as such does not come apart from the alloy or carbon pole. I was thinking of taking the heavy handles and the attached bit, which would fit in my pack, on board and dismantling the mid and lower sections and packing them separately to send. Each section is about 50 cms I think.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I doubt it but you will have to check with your airline as each has different rules. And for us, going to Spain with poles wasn't an issue. Coming back they were confiscated.

The problem is that *yanair states that poles, sticks etc are not allowed, but this would be a handle and bit of carbon pipe. No pointy metal tip and no long stick to beat anyone over the head with so not really a weapon?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually, the airline does not run the security checkpoints so their response is really not the one that counts. They do not look in your pack.
I have carried my poles in my pack through security in the USA and when transferring in Europe for many years.....except Santiago.

My wife pulls her Pacer Poles apart (as described ^^) and puts on rubber tips over the metal tips. No problems...ever.

Dismantled poles with rubber tips won't go through security in the UK because the tip is considered a potential weapon. And yes, it is the security staff that decide once you are at their gates, though check-in staff can advice on airline policy. Since this is a slight sidestep from the normal poles-on-planes debate I was hoping someone had done it before or could ask politely if going through from UK. I did ask the staff at Liverpool airport about whole poles last time and was told in no uncertain terms that they would not be allowed through. I am almost tempted to get the bus out with a top/handle part and ask them directly :D

Airport security are duty-bound to prevent anyone in possession of a 'penetrating object" (I didn't write it. I've retired) accessing an airplane cabin. The top, handle, section of a Pacerpole essentially is a handle with a length of tube attached which could be used as a 'penetrating object'. (If you don't believe me poke one in your eye). If you are determined to shave 30 minutes off your airport time by dodging baggage reclaim do try and smuggle anything that might concern a person charged with the duty of protecting your life into the cabin; or, check your pack, and poles. Then at least you can also pack your favourite pocket knife, hip-flask and quarter-litre bottle of essential moisturising lotion.

Yes it is annoying that budget airlines charge for checked luggage. It is annoying that they charge for paying with your credit card (Have you ever tried poking €50 notes in through the disk drive on your PC?) They even charge airport fees despite the price of the coffee, and taxes despite the fact that their accountants ensure that they never actually pay any themselves.

It is probably easier and cheaper to purchase poles in StJdP / Pamplona / Madrid / Irun, or cut yourself one from a hedgerow (with due respect to the environment and the landowner)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Tincatinker - I shall forego the poke-in-eye test and take your word for it. It's not about the 30 minutes, it's the £60 it would cost to ship them as checked luggage (two journeys both there and back with different carriers) for just one of us, so good old post office is a better deal. Which would be even better if I sent only the bits of carbon tubing. And since I love my Pacerpoles, and since I can't buy them anywhere else, I will have to bring my own. Normally I would send them to Ivar and pick them up from Santiago before I start, but this time we have very little time to get on the bus and probably won't make it to town so will have to send to first accommodation. No big deal either.

Oh and good luck with the £50 note situation. If you want, you can send me some and I'll try it on my laptop? :D

@nidarosa, good luck. I hope your favourite poles arrive safely where and when they should. I just flew Norwegian, ridiculous checking charges so everyone takes maximum hand-luggage. Result? Not enough room in the cabin, delayed take-off and lots of last minute luggage in the hold. Some honest pricing from the budget airlines would help.

Just put an €50 with your PM on it in my disk-drive, let me know when it arrives :D

Actually, the airline does not run the security checkpoints so their response is really not the one that counts. They do not look in your pack.

Actually, that's probably true. And it probably depends on which security person you get. We were shocked when they took Joe's sticks away at the Santiago airport and plopped them into a barrel filled with other walking sticks. What made it worse was there would have been plenty of time to check them, if someone had only mentioned it. That and the fact we had flown all over Europe, carrying them on with no problems. If those had been my pacer poles, I probably would be sitting in jail right now. We don't even try anymore - that sort of scared us out of bothering.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a terrible return journey from my camino last week, detailed elsewhere. One pilgrim recommended flying from Santiago rather than taking the overnight bus to Madrid, which is what I did. I really wanted to bring back my walking stick, bought in SJPdeP and carried with me to Santiago. It will become my walking stick in the mountains here and a reminder of my camino. I see that this is a reason not to fly from Santiago, as I had no trouble at Madrid airport with my wooden walking stick with rubber tip. Indeed, when I was noticed with it I was sent through the special "babies, handicapped persons, and seniors," security line, which was much shorter than the regular line, if not really faster. I was, however, wearing my long skirt and limping a bit.

Thanks @Qwertyberty (love the nick!) I suppose it's up to the post office we go. Ah well, it means more room in the pack for other things, and at 30 litres that is always welcome.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You probably already know this, but I recall an earlier thread on here about sending stuff to St Jean via poste restante. Certainly be a lot cheaper than paying the extra for checked bags....

I love my Pacer Poles and have taken them from the USA to the Camino twice. The only time I had a problem was on my first departure in NY. We were flying stand-by and my pack with my poles got thru but we didn't. Consequently, they held my pack overnight and returned it to me in the morning and then I went thru with flying colors. Different person checking us in the morning. This year in August, I flew out of Santiago to London and then on to Boston and had no problems with the poles being in my pack. I only collapse them and do not take them apart.

@wonzi : That's great but very unusual if you actually got them into the cabin from Santiago. Though people working on the security control can have slightly different opinions and good or bad days, poles are generally not allowed on board and with Pacerpoles, which are different from other poles and not easily replaced, I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. They could get taken off you or you could be made to check them in at a hefty price (which is still better than losing them). If you are travelling hand luggage only and you know where you are staying the first night the best thing would probably be to send the poles there in plenty of time before you go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always carry my backpack on board, I check in my pacer poles and pocket knife in a home made cardboard wrapper it works fine.

zzotte

There are several accounts on here of people having their poles confiscated at Santiago airport - it is a large airport, with relatively few departures, and the security staff have more time to thoroughly check baggage.
Do not even think about trying to take any restricted items as carry on baggage.

I think you can be lucky or unlucky with taking poles as hand luggage. I took my (dismantled) pacerpoles on flights from Belfast to Barcelona and from Madrid to Dublin without any problems. It just depends on the people at security - some seem to be stricter than others. I would probably chance it again - but maybe not on a flight from Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We just had regular hiking poles, but I broke them down, put them in one of those triangular postal service mailing tubes and checked the tube. Worked great from Denver to Madrid.

As questions about poles on planes go, this is a case of 'same, same but not same': My friend and I will be walking in the new year, both with Pacerpoles (the ones with the odd and beautifully comfortable handles) and I was wondering - poles aren't allowed on planes because the metal tips can be used as weapons, but can you take the handle part on board?

EDIT: For clarity, the top section of the pole and the handle, as the handles do not come away from the pole/pipe/tube.

The length of the top section will be about 50 cms, so size wise it shouldn't be a problem. Sending the Pacers in the post is expensive because of the size and weight of the handles but sending the bottom two sections (times four for both of us) carbon sections would be a doddle - smaller, lighter and cheaper. Sending them through the hold will cost a lot more with the prices certain carriers charge for hold luggage these days - and two legs each way as well.

Does anyone know? Or if anyone is going through security somewhere in Europe and into Santiago, who are famous for confiscating poles, one of these days and feel like asking staff I'd be interested to know what they say ...

Buen Camino planning everyone!

Reading the remarks in this thread I wonder if this is a question of finance or of possibilities. The problem arises I think only if you take your backpack with you in the plane. I cannot imagine that a caminobackpack is that small that you can take it with you in the cabin. If I check it in there is no problem if I put my pacerpoles in or at the side of my backpacker (eventually in a bag) Or am I mistaken in this?
Ton Vaessen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
:D Oh ye of little faith ... My camino backpack is a 30 litre pack which has room for everything I need. Everything. Sleeping bag, rain gear, clothes, first aid and toiletries. It fits under the seat in front of me if the overhead bins are full. So paying to check it just for the poles is not an option - I'd rather ship them in the normal post.

Attachments

• 2014-12-31 21.23.44.jpg
    2014-12-31 21.23.44.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Completely agree with nidarosa. I was very nervous about getting my 36 litre kestrel on a plane, but at least half the passengers (none of whom were pilgrims or even dressed like backpackers) had much larger backpacks, huge ones, in lieu of luggage. If they could cram it into the box, the airlines let it on the plane.

I cannot imagine that a camino backpack is that small that you can take it with you in the cabin.
Many of us travel with packs that fit within the size requirements of all the major airlines! I usually choose to check a small bag but that's so I can send a few things like a knife and poles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A question for those who have Pacerpoles. Combining thoughts from several threads around poles & airport security. Whether allowed on a flight? Depends on the airline, the person, his/her mood, ... got it. Prepping for the contingency with a 3x24" shipping tube to check-in if necessary ... it's more obvious with every other pole, but with unique handles, do Pacerpoles (just the handle + top undetachable section) fit into a 3x24" shipping tube when inserted at an angle? Not a standard measurement that's highlighted on the product page ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.