• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack covers

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Just a personal opinion - those elasticated pack rain covers are completely useless. In fact, they can collect rain in the bottom and bulge out and make a strange sloshing noise. I highly recommend using waterproof pack liners: Sea To Summit Ultrasil dry sacks are super thin, absolutely waterproof and if you use more than one, can help you stay organised, keep clean clothes separate from dirty etc. Just don't spike them with your Spork.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I mostly used my pack cover in the big cities, Madrid etc. It is an added layer of security for "backpack pocketers", and worth it for me. My Ferrino rain coat worked for actual rain.

Before I left for the Camino I sprayed down my pack and pack rain-cover with Scotchgard. I also carried two, heavy-duty thick trash bags with me (I think they were 30 gallon size). If it looked like it might have rained, I put everything in my pack inside of the trash bags inside the pack and cinched them up. That in conjunction with the rain cover kept my stuff dry, but in no way would I recommend depending solely on the pack rain-cover. As far as water pooling up in the bottom of the rain cover, you might take a hole punch and put two drain holes down there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some of them do have eyelets there. Which makes me laugh as the manufacturers must know how pointless they are.

My Sea to Summit pack cover worked great for me in light rain at first then two weeks of pretty steady rain in Galicia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should add that I also had my gear inside my pack in individual waterproof containers but they never felt damp at all.

Just a personal opinion - those elasticated pack rain covers are completely useless.

I'm agree.

I purchased one when training and found it weighed over 100 grams. And with my parka weighing over 300 grams ...

I need to keep my all up weight to well under 7 kg. (No correspondence will be entered into on this point.)

Then I read a post by @SYates inviting readers to find gear that had at least two uses, wherever possible.

As I needed a tent for some trips I also needed a groundsheet.

My three needs of rain cover for and for my pack and a groundsheet could be provided in the form of a poncho designed to do those jobs. All up it weighs less than 200 grams. I wear shorts and it covers them nicely. The bell like shape tends to shed water away from the feet. It is not clammy, having built-in ventilation.

I have also used an Altus great coat. It is extendible at the shoulders to cover a pack. It weighs around 300 grams. I found a tendency to be clammy in the sleeves as perspiration on the arms when walking cooled on reaching the inside surface. It is easily stuffed into the supplied carry bag and is useful when going to the local shops wearing urban clothes.

We've never had a problem with the rain covers that came with our Osprey bags. Yes, we scotchguarded them, but nothing else. We had five straight days of strong drizzle to complete downpour through Galicia a few years back and got hit by a quick, but intense storm in Esponsende in May. Performed as expected. The new ones I've seen allows the cover to snug down along the sides too. Looks like a nice improvement on a high performing rain cover.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was actually quite happy with my Osprey cover. After numerous days of solid rain only my shoulder straps were wet and no collection of water below. However my wife's pack and cover did collect a fair amount. In our case I believe this could be due to the harness systems, however. I use an Osprey AG 50L which keeps the main bag away from my body (and presumably allows the water to run down the back of my rain jacket freely) whereas my wife uses a Deuter Air Contact 50+10L which sits directly against her back so water seems to have had a chance to catch the edges of her cover and allow some in to pool up. Maybe certain packs set up better for rain covers than others??

just completed an Appalachian Trail Maine to Georgia winter thru-hike using black trash bag(s) as liner for an ULA OHM 2.0. My pack cover blew away never to be seen again during HIGH winds and HEAVY rain summiting Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire. The contents remained unharmed and the pack dries just fine. I hike in clothes that get wet and dry just fine. I plan to use a trash compactor bag for my upcoming walk(s).

Happy Trails
myATguide dot com

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Osprey pack cover (came with pack) was completely useless. I've used other pack covers that worked better, but now I just use a compactor bag INSIDE the pack as a pack liner. Less than an ounce compared to 3oz. Durable (much more than a trash bag). But noisy (pack night before or outside dorm to avoid waking sleeping pilgrims).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use a survival bag as a pack liner (dual use brownie point there) when trekking, but it is like a thick giant plastic bag and is so rustly that on Caminos I use my dry bags instead as they are totally quiet.

All items inside my pack are in different colored, waterproof, roll-top stuff sacks. Dirty laundry and socks have there own. Everything has stayed nice and dry and organized. I want a high visibility rain cover with a reflective large shell, so I can get a little more notice early early in the morning and in the rain. My beautiful pack is gray so I an invisible "NOT GOOD". I know it rains in Spain I want to be seen when it does....... Ultreya.............. Willy/Utah/USA

My tack is the same as others, never using a pack cover for rain protection. And for rain, a proper hiking poncho will cover you and your pack. And in the rain, it is opssible to gtake the pack off for access and put it back on with nothing getting wet. It also doubles as a ground sheet for my tent.

If I can offer any advice of value, look at each item packed and assign as many uses as you can from each. If some can replace others, pull the extras out so they are not carried for 800 km. Your shoulders and feet will thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.