• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack help please.

NurseNancy

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
I had been looking at 40-50L packs for the Camino and future adventures knowing I don't need one quite that large. I really liked the new Osprey Aura AG and the Ariel AG.
I went to the REI garage sale today and they had a 2018 Aura AG 65 for 60% off, brand new, has a broken clip that will be replaced by Osprey( I already verified). I know this is more pack than I need but the price was right and it is very comfortable. It compresses down well and has all the features I was looking for.

Has anyone used a larger than necessary pack and just compressed it or will I regret having a large pack?

thanks so much.
I hope to do the Frances in Sept 2018.

Nancy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carry an Osprey Atmos AG 65, because I needed the extra room for a tent and some more gear during my camino. I now take it everywhere, even when I don't need the extra room, because it fits like a glove and carries like a dream. I just have to remind myself to be reticent about stuffing it full with unnecessary gear, that is all. So, if the price is right...

My first thought is that the Aura AG 65 weighs over 2kg before you have even put a pair of socks in it. That is a lot of tare before you even make a start on the basics. My Talon 33, more than adequate for anything other than a mid-winter camino, comes in at 0.96kg including the rain-cover.

That said fit is everything else that I look for in a pack. If the pack fits (and you can resist the urge to pack all those little extras you'll have room for...) wear it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@NurseNancy , welcome to the forum.

You will encounter many opinions, including mine, that may all seem to be at odds with one another. And equipment questions seem to create a greater range of views than most other topics. Its for you to find what works for you. To find what works many trial a range, especially on training walks.

@Tincatinker makes a most important point - 2 kg for the container is a large part of nominal 7 kg mx we are counselled to take on most routes ending at Santiago de Compotella.

After trialling several packs from local retailers I discovered the same issue. So looked for light weight gear on line. My preference was for a framed pack with a generous belt.

My search took me to zPack of Florida, USA and a pack with an all up weight of a little over 0.5 kg, including the frame. It has lasted three years and around 5,000 km and still got life in it.

I wish you well in your search

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Welcome, Nancy!
My two cants?
If the pack fits and you like it, by all means get it.
But watch out. The extra pack weight isn't so much of an issue as the fact empty space in a pack has a magical gravitational field for stuff. And of course the stuff it attracts always weighs something.
It's insidious. The extra socks here and the little bottle there don't add much weight by themselves, but together they add up to equal suffering.

I carried the 50L Osprey because it is what I already owned. It added a couple of pounds more than if I had a smaller pack but I didn't want to pay the money for another pack. I weigh 120 lbs and carried 20 lbs. I know that isn't the perfect formula, but it was fine. I didn't really buy anything and if I walk again, I will cut out a pound or so by leaving a couple things at home that I didn't feel I needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had been looking at 40-50L packs for the Camino and future adventures knowing I don't need one quite that large. I really liked the new Osprey Aura AG and the Ariel AG.
I went to the REI garage sale today and they had a 2018 Aura AG 65 for 60% off, brand new, has a broken clip that will be replaced by Osprey( I already verified). I know this is more pack than I need but the price was right and it is very comfortable. It compresses down well and has all the features I was looking for.

Has anyone used a larger than necessary pack and just compressed it or will I regret having a large pack?

thanks so much.

Nancy

Nancy, I have an Osprey Ariel 55 which I used walking the Camino del Norte. It's a bit heavy to start with at just over 2 kg. My total weight when packed was about 9 kg plus water each day. I got used to it and it was a fantastic fit. The rucksack has three entry points which is great when you want to remove something during the day. I'd like a lighter rucksack but, so far, haven't found anything that compares.

I didn't consider any packs weighing over 2 lbs, empty. I continue to use a 33 Liter Osprey Tallon and love it.

Super price, you have lots of time. Big Big pack. I have the exos 58 it is a big pack, lots of room so you can be lazy when packing. Have you organized your kit to see how much pack you need ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carried a Gregory Diva 60L on the Camino Frances. It was fine, the fit was very comfortable, I could reach my water bottle while wearing the pack and having lots of room made packing a breeze. This year I am walking the Camino Portuguese with a Gregory Sage 36L. It's a bit lighter, I have to be a bit more careful with packing and getting to my water bottle is less convenient. I think either bag is fine for walking the Camino.

thanks so much.

Nancy
The pack itself should be around 1 kg in weight. Basta! You get a better planning in what u really will need.
And at the airport u meet a rule, that says: No more than 55 cm in height for hand luggage!
But of course it´s better to go by train than by air. Then u are free to choose whatever u want!
The most important thing, is that yr next generation will thank you.

It’s not the extra volume that is the issue (assuming the bag fits and you don’t get tempted to fill it just because you can) but its own weight, empty. Wanting to take advantage of a great deal may actually turn out not to be such a great deal.

I would advise on finding a much ligther bag. Osprey has excellent ones that weigh half of what your bag weighs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Nancy,

Osprey is a popular brand, for obvious reasons.

As you have the pack already, load it up with what you are taking, or an equivalent weight and try it out for a few km / miles. This is the acid test.

One drawback is that a 60 L pack will be heavier than a 40 L, thereby allowing less to carry. Do not go by the 10% of body weight rule. Go with what is comfortable and doable. And if you buy any souvenirs, that will only be adding to total pack weight.

Hi NurseNancy,

I originally bought an Osprey Kestrel 48 at REI, then returned it for a Kestrel 38 when I figured out it could meet my needs and was about the maximum size which would qualify for carry-on luggage. I used it a couple of years ago on the Via de la Plata a couple years ago. I was very happy with it.
Kestrel 38 United Carryon.jpg
I am also going on the Francés in September (probably in SJPDP on Sept 10). My walking partner just bought an Osprey Stratos 36 - If I were on the market for a new pack I would seriously consider it - It seems to allow more air to flow between the body and the pack.

¡Buen Camino! Latecomer

Thanks everyone. I wore the pack around REI for 2 hours during the garage sale after having it fitted and filled with 15 pounds so total of 19 pound including pack weight. because of the suspension /anti gravity system it was more comfortable on me than the exos or the kyte I had tried on. I love the adjust on the fly hip belt. I hope it works because I love the feel. Thanks for the input!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.