• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack is packed.Weight?

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Ok, for my pre-Camino checking and rechecking, my pack is complete. It weights 14 lbs. dry.
Packing for cold weather, as is everyone from the Az desert, for Sept and Oct. At 50F I will be cold and wearing almost all of my layers at the start of walking. Once I warm up the jacket comes off. We plan for 50 to 60 days leaving Sept 9th.
Please take a look at my list and let me know if I have gone insane.

Wearing:
parachute pants
long sleeve fishing t-shirt
bra
sock liners
thin or thick socks
hiking sandals (reason for lots of socks)
sun hat or warm beanie hat
poles, these will be in my hands if my pack is on
gloves for poles

Pack weight Osprey 34 lt : 64 oz (4 lbs)
(including tissues, mints etc in side pockets and travel docs)
side pocket of sock changes 1 pr liner / 1 pr thin socks

Clothes: 11.4 oz
1 short sleeve t-shirt (will wear usually morning & eve)
1 long sleeve t-shirt
1 leggings
4 panty liners
1 stuff sack

Socks: 9.9 oz
sock layering for warm or cold
2 liners
1 pr wool socks
1 pr thigh high socks
1 winter weight panty hose
1 stuff sack

Warm clothes: 5.8 oz
1 jacket
1 beanie hat
1 buff
1 pr gloves

Shower & laundry 17 oz
everything is travel size and small
soap for body, hair & clothes
very long shoe lace (hang clothes/belt for rain poncho)
nappy pins 6
tooth paste
tooth brush
deodorant
nail clipper
nail file
bra
pedi socks (after shower)
travel towel
4 panty liners
shower bag (Sea to Summit ultra light)

Bed: 25 oz
silk liner
fleece blanket (cut to fit inside)
caftan for bed, after shower, around town
ear plugs
sleep mask
dry sack

Rain Poncho 11 oz
Phone & charger 10 oz
Bag for afternoons /passport/med box and some stuff 7.7 0z
Shower & town shoes (good tread & arch support) & foam soles 11.4 oz
First aid items 3.3 oz
spork & baggies & plastic food box 3 oz
Medication for 90 days 20 oz
puzzle book & pen 3.7 oz
sack for poles gloves 3 oz

Total weight 14 lbs.
I am 5 ft tall, weight 105 lbs. It's a lot. Much of it will be transported at times, at least in the beginning. Thanks for checking over my list.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jo: Sounds like quite a bit of stuff. The contents of my CF backpack from this past June weighed 4.4 pounds. I really cut things down to a minimum. Look at everything and determine if you really need it or not. You might be so tired at the end of the day, you might not be so interested in the puzzle book. Weigh everything, and see if there are any lighter alternatives. I brought quite a bit of silk clothing, including shirts and a pair of long johns, which weigh nothing. Also consider using a pack transfer service. We used Camino Facil for our 2016 Camino. At 3 to 4 Euros a day, it was an expense but well worth the price.

I would ditch the kaftan, pantyhose, thick high socks, pedi socks and multiple stuff sacks, especially the pole gloves sack for starters.
Then I would ask why are you carrying medication for 90 days if you are planning on walking in 50-60? If it's because you will be traveling after your camino for another month, then I would post that part to Ivar to retrieve when you get to Santiago.
Then you could start tweaking items - for example a lightweight plastic bowl will weigh much less than your food box but you'll still be able to transport a tomato in it. Your "afternoon bag" could be replaced with something much lighter (even one of those cloth-type bags that stores put your purchases in would do, they are light and fold up small).
You could put some puzzle games on your phone and ditch the book completely.
And how about your non-walking shoes - is that two pairs? Maybe you could save some weight there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your total weight is not so bad (I typically carry 13 lb, dry) although it is always preferable to reduce it. However, I'm uncertain about some of your choices and their weights. Some quick thoughts, since you asked:)...

You have walking pants, leggings, thigh high socks and winter weight panty hose. That is 1 or 2 items too many, but I'm not sure how you intended to use them. It seems that you have more warm layers for your legs than for your top.

The pack is on the heavy side, but if it is really comfortable, don't change it. The afternoon bag also seems heavy, unless that weight includes the contents ("passport/med box and some stuff").

For "warm clothes" if the jacket, beanie, buff and gloves together weigh only 5.8 oz, you must have a very light weight jacket. Is it a fleece, that would provide some needed warmth in the evenings when your body is chilled and tired, or is it a windbreaker type that provides some protection from wind and light rain in the day when you don't want to bother with the poncho? Think in terms of what you will wear walking, what you will wear in the evening and sleeping, and then add the layers necessary for weather conditions. Although you will likely have beautiful warm weather in Sept-Oct, you do need to be prepared for the occasional day of rain or cold.

At 25 oz, your bed items seem heavy, considering you don't even have a sleeping bag. Is the fleece blanket or caftan so heavy? I would leave the caftan and take a light fleece jacket or a down vest instead. What will you wear to bed on a chilly evening?

Many of us just use slip-on plastic shoes as our second non-walking pair.

@Kiwi-family had some very good points about the medication, as well as ditching the pole sack and puzzle book. You can just tear a dozen pages of the puzzle book to take for emergency use!

So, no you haven't gone insane (at least, based on this list;)) but you might re-think a few items!

Thigh high socks and winter weight pantyhose? I don't even know what those are :)
If you need long johns then just get one set of wool or silk ones. I know you are from Arizona, but still-Once you start walking with 14+ pounds in 50ish temps you are going to heat up fast.
Why the pole gloves? It's not winter in Sep-Oct. Over the Pyrenees no doubt it will be chillier. But everywhere else? Have you checked the historical temperatures for that time of year? This year has so far been well above normal in temps. It was in the 70s along the typically coldest parts of the Primitivo route that I took. They said it had been that hot since March! This was in Galicia.

Remember that you can sleep in your underwear and t-shirt. Or your leggings. You don't need separate clothes for that. You'd be better off with a second set of hiking pants that you can wear while walking and going out in the evening.

Only you know how much snivel gear you need :) Don't let us talk you out of carrying what you really know from experience you need to stay comfortable. Just don't expect to be walking in a perfect state of temperature comfort.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The sack is for the walking poles and gloves. The poles are Z poles and go in the sack along with the gloves and the metal tips. I don't want mud/dirt all over everything else in the pack. But a zip lock or plastic bag works just as well and weights much less.

The puzzle book is gone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of questions about the caftan.
I will wear it to bed. It will cover me up if I sleep on top of the bedding, it can be pined to make it a one piece with sort of legs. Sort of like a macob (sp) skirt. The leggings would be too warm. No way would I wear just underwear in a mixed dorm.
I can wear it alone when it is warm out, to walk around town, I can wear the leggings and a shirt under it to bed or around town when my pants are drying. It weighs 7 oz.

And I really, really want to take it. If it just doesn't work out I am happy to leave it behind someplace.
I will get rid of the 2nd long sleeve t-shirt.

Silk sheet & fleece 15 oz
caftan 7 oz
dry sack 3 oz (includes mask & ear plugs)

Thanks for all the help. If you think of anything else, please let me know. It does help me see what I am really using things for and what I have too much of.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A couple of comments, Jo. First I want to say that you have thought things through well.

I took walking sandals in case I needed to actually walk in them. But I also used them for around the albergue/evenings. I admit that being barefoot in a shower doesn't faze me, and your mileage may vary. I never missed having a third pair.

Secondly, I had Z poles that I never collapsed except when I flew (and checked them in a mailing tube). I'm a bit jealous because mine didn't come with a sack :(, but if they did, I would have left it home. At the albergues, most everyone left their poles in an area near where one leaves one's boots/walking shoes.

Good that you have this almost sorted!

I can just keep the tips in my bag.
I'm not sure why you would do this. Normally you leave the tips on your poles, which are placed with other poles at the albergue entrance. If the tips are dirty and you need to bring them inside or pack them, you would just wash them off or place a plastic bag over the ends, or put them on the floor under your bed. Are the gloves bulky items? I just carry very light liner gloves for warmth, and keep them in a pouch on the backpack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pack dry weight is now 11 lbs 4 oz. Not counting poles. Progress :)

Question about showers and my pedi socks. If your shower shoes are wet and you don't want to track water all over the floors .. what do you do? My idea was to put on the little socks and not get the floors of the dorm / common area wet.

Pack dry weight is now 11 lbs 4 oz. Not counting poles. Progress :)

Question about showers and my pedi socks. If your shower shoes are wet and you don't want to track water all over the floors .. what do you do? My idea was to put on the little socks and not get the floors of the dorm / common area wet.
You get the floors wet, it's all good. Don't worry about such details.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Normally you leave the tips on your poles,
Sorry, I didn't explain well. There are two sets of tips, one for dirt/rock/mud and one for pavement/sidewalks. They are exchangeable for different uses.

The gloves are very light weight, fingerless gloves with padded (grip type) in the palms. The back is venting material with UV protection. They are made for kayaking. High quality and very well made. The straps on the poles rub against my wrists and chafe them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSDL5LB/?tag=casaivar02-20

I also have medication I need and I would not take a chance on posting it to Santiago. It could be a hassle if it didn't arrive I pack mine in tiny plastic bags with prescription label, doesn't weigh much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If your shower shoes are wet and you don't want to track water all over the floors .. what do you do?
Dry your feet and put on the regular socks you are planning to wear around.

I find that simplifying stuff is better, so you don't have to think about so many different items.

Sorry, I didn't explain well. There are two sets of tips, one for dirt/rock/mud and one for pavement/sidewalks. They are exchangeable for different uses.
The same simplification principle applies to pole tips. I have walked 5 caminos and always used plain rubber tip protectors like these (they are a bit over an inch in diameter) for all terrain. The protectors are mainly to reduce the click-clack noise. There really is no need to fuss about changing them, as you would often have to switch them every 10 minutes. If the rubber protectors that you find don't fit tightly, use some duct tape around the pole first to make them fit better.

Dry your feet and put on the regular socks you are planning to wear around.

I find that simplifying stuff is better, so you don't have to think about so many different items.

The same simplification principle applies to pole tips. I have walked 5 caminos and always used plain rubber tip protectors like these (they are a bit over an inch in diameter) for all terrain. The protectors are mainly to reduce the click-clack noise. There really is no need to fuss about changing them, as you would often have to switch them every 10 minutes. If the rubber protectors that you find don't fit tightly, use some duct tape around the pole first to make them fit better.
Thanks. The rubber tips came on the poles, so I will just leave them on.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Jo!
I didn't notice in your list, but are you taking shorts or something as a substitute for shorts? In September it's still beach weather here in Galicia, and even though you won't reach Galicia until October(?) it *may* still be quite warm across the country at least until mid or late September. I like bringing travel or mesh shorts along, for walking but also especially for after showering as they help me keep cooling down.

It will be a beautiful time to walk.

Enjoy all the packing!
Faith

There shouldn't be, unless they liquids or gels exceeding the allowed container size.
Not even, the liquid regulations don't apply to meds. And they don't care if they come is blister packs, plastic bottles, plastic bags. Just bring the lable the pharmacy puts on the packaging.

are you taking shorts or something as a substitute for shorts?
Well ... the caftan is very light weight and can pin up in the center to make shorts or mid-high pants.
Warm for us is 80F+, 50F is wear all my clothes cause it's cold.
We are leaving Sept 9th from St Jean.

Last edited:
I've yet to get over the pond to walk the camino (my turn in Sept), but I love reading these threads about gear and what people are packing or not packing. Being a rookie, I can't offer advice, but I'm enjoying the challenge of selecting what to take and what to leave behind, and glaring at every ounce. I also like to see others working through their own gear pre-camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@DoubleD Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten to post my camino Inglés un-packing list! Handy to have for my own reference too. I have even added a Did not use category.

Hola Jo!
I didn't notice in your list, but are you taking shorts or something as a substitute for shorts? In September it's still beach weather here in Galicia, and even though you won't reach Galicia until October(?) it *may* still be quite warm across the country at least until mid or late September. I like bringing travel or mesh shorts along, for walking but also especially for after showering as they help me keep cooling down.

It will be a beautiful time to walk.

Enjoy all the packing!
Faith
I wish that was beach weather right now. I start walking to Finisterre tomorrow, and I'd love to swim, but I think that it will be too cold. :(

I know, @trecile, it's been pretty cool in July and August. I keep thinking we'll take the kids to the pool or the beach and then when it comes to it it's not warm enough. But warm weather is coming by this weekend I believe. I think you may get some beach weather after all! Buen Camino!

Can you ditch the mask and just use the buff as an eye mask? I'm thinking about ordering one, specifically to use it for warmth AND as a mask.

Can you ditch the mask and just use the buff as an eye mask? I'm thinking about ordering one, specifically to use it for warmth AND as a mask.
A word of caution: Whatever one uses for an eye mask, it should not be in direct contact with the eyelid. During REM sleep the eyes move under the lids, and during light sleep they may open a bit.

Being stretchy, a buff may conform to the contours of the face.

I'm packing 2 sets of hiking pants & tshirt, plus the set in wearing to start the trip. All packing list for the Camino are minimal for good reason but i never noticed anyone mentioning pajama wear?

Any thoughts? I don't want to bring anything more than I have to would love to hear from you guys.

Thanks Gem

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't leave your kaftan! I really missed my goonie this year, for wearing to and from shower and for lounging around in. I took 2 long shirts and slept in the one I would wear next day. Give me my goonie any day.

I'm packing 2 sets of hiking pants & tshirt, plus the set in wearing to start the trip. All packing list for the Camino are minimal for good reason but i never noticed anyone mentioning pajama wear?

Any thoughts? I don't want to bring anything more than I have to would love to hear from you guys.

Thanks Gem
I just wore my boxerbrief underwear and the t-shirt I was walking in the next day. All I had to do in the morning was thrown on my hiking skirt and put on my light weight ExOfficio crossover bra. Done. My husband and our male friend just wore a pair of light weight running shorts and t-shirt. Some women wore light leggings, but I didn't take any leggings because it was too hot to walk in them in May. So they didn't serve a purpose for me. Most women just wore underwear.

It doesn't sound excessive to me. Don't forget the weight of water.

I would ditch the tupperware, baggies and spork personally, unless you have an allergy and need special food.

I think you will boil in a caftan. Most everyone else will be in sportswear, it isn't an Ibiza vibe on the camino really. You could take a cute little top for the evenings.

@Gemajams if you wear boy-short panties like Pure Lime, you can climb up into a bunk with confidence! With next day's t shirt like @alaskadiver says. It would look weird to wear pyjamas in fact.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just wore my boxerbrief underwear and the t-shirt I was walking in the next day. All I had to do in the morning was thrown on my hiking skirt and put on my light weight ExOfficio crossover bra. Done. My husband and our male friend just wore a pair of light weight running shorts and t-shirt. Some women wore light leggings, but I didn't take any leggings because it was too hot to walk in them in May. So they didn't serve a purpose for me. Most women just wore underwear.
Thank you alaskadiver!!! p.s. are you a scuba diver too? I am also

It doesn't sound excessive to me. Don't forget the weight of water.

I would ditch the tupperware, baggies and spork personally, unless you have an allergy and need special food.

I think you will boil in a caftan. Most everyone else will be in sportswear, it isn't an Ibiza vibe on the camino really. You could take a cute little top for the evenings.

@Gemajams if you wear boy-short panties like Pure Lime, you can climb up into a bunk with confidence! With next day's t shirt like @alaskadiver says. It would look weird to wear pyjamas in fact.
I should add that I had the black, ExOfficio long boxerbriefs. They looked like tight shorts. My REI t-shirts were long so they fell over the top of my bum :)

I would keep the gloves. Very handy (excuse the pun) on early mornings in late September and October. :)

€149,-
Good suggestion i bought a pair, nice and light weight!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.