• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack is too large for carry-on

SeattleJen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP, April 5 - May 15, 2018
I'm so bummed and just need to make a pity post for myself. I decided on the North Face Terra 65 after trying on a million packs and then researching each online. The final factor for the North Face was seeing online that the dimensions were smaller than the carry-on limits for Norwegian Air (and EasyJet, which I just booked last weekend to get from London to SJPP and back). As I posted in another thread, my luggage scale finally came yesterday and I was super excited to see that the pack + clothes + most gear is only 5.5 kg. SCORE! Except I just realized a few minutes ago the scale also comes with a built-in tape measure in centimeters. Pack is too long. Like... 10 cm too long. There is no fudging that. I checked the North Face site again to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Nope, mistake is theirs: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/terra-65#hero=0. I didn't think to measure for myself sooner than this because, um, we didn't own any tape measures in centimeters until yesterday ('murica!). Now I MUST check my pack, not just on one flight but TWO. I haven't lost luggage in more than 12 years, so my luck has been good for a while. Keep all of your fingers and toes crossed that my luggage luck continues through April and my pack lands in Bordeaux with me.

Thanks for reading my cathartic post. Ugh.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm so bummed and just need to make a pity post for myself. I decided on the North Face Terra 65 after trying on a million packs and then researching each online. The final factor for the North Face was seeing online that the dimensions were smaller than the carry-on limits for Norwegian Air (and EasyJet, which I just booked last weekend to get from London to SJPP and back). As I posted in another thread, my luggage scale finally came yesterday and I was super excited to see that the pack + clothes + most gear is only 5.5 kg. SCORE! Except I just realized a few minutes ago the scale also comes with a built-in tape measure in centimeters. Pack is too long. Like... 10 cm too long. There is no fudging that. I checked the North Face site again to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Nope, mistake is theirs: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/terra-65#hero=0. I didn't think to measure for myself sooner than this because, um, we didn't own any tape measures in centimeters until yesterday ('murica!). Now I MUST check my pack, not just on one flight but TWO. I haven't lost luggage in more than 12 years, so my luck has been good for a while. Keep all of your fingers and toes crossed that my luggage luck continues through April and my pack lands in Bordeaux with me.

Sorry for your trouble. Hope it works out for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. I feel kind of silly complaining now. Checking bags is not the end of the world... I'm just worried now. Everything will be good, right?

Have you removed all the gear from the lid so that the top lays flat and not sticking up at all? Compress and tighten the lid straps down as far as they will go. If the pack frame is flexible, then you may be able to to pull the load lifter straps on the harness snug enough to further shorten the total length of the bag's measurement.

From what I saw, the specs say the pack is 19" tall. What are your airline's measurement requirements? My pack is basically the same length and it meets both domestic and international carry-on measurements.

You might get lucky, it's been a while since I have been on a low cost flight and seen anyone check the size of the luggage unless it looks huge. They usually test by making you put your luggage into a box contraption, if your rucksack is fairly empty I would have thought you'll get it through. The top of that rucksack looks pretty squishy. You can always wear anything bulky to reduce space more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cinch the straps down tight, carry it 'light' - and unless you are on an over-booked flight you will probably be fine.
Plus, if your pack gets 'checked' from the gate it goes into the hold last and comes out first. Should hit the belt off the first cart and at least you'll know its on the 'plane ;)

It is important to choose a backpack that passes as carry-on luggage, not least in order to keep your walking weight down. But, if you HAVE to check it in, then why not go the whole way: Room for a couple of hairdryers, everything cosmetic, defensive baseball bat, tea stove, and a dozen evening gowns there as well. ;)

Max ryggsekk.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it possible to exchange your pack for a smaller version of the same one?
That would solve the carry on problem.
To each their own of course, but 65L seems pretty large for the Camino...
I started out with a 38L and am now down to 30L for the last couple of Caminos.

Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola @SeattleJen : I am impressed at you managed to get the total weight of pack down to 5.5kg. The pack alone probably is 1.3/1.5kg (or was the 5.5 kg your gear weight). I agree with Tinca - make the pack as small as possible. If you do end up having to check it ensure that you have your essentials with you as carry-on, here I am specifically referring to your boots/walking shoes. If your pack did go west/north/south - rather than east then you can replace all the gear, but you have to have footware that is comfortable and fully broken-in. Cheers

I took an Osprey 70L pack when I walked from Pamplona to Santiago 2017. As someone mentioned earlier, I learned my pack was to big and heavy on day one. But that was my mistake. Needless to say I had to check my bag and I put it in an airline car seat bag that I bought on Amazon for $12.00. It worked great as my pack was not damaged by the airlines. Best of luck.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Buy a cheap laundry bag or similar in the event you do have to check the bag on. If not, roll it up and put in the pack in case you need it for the flights home. You can even use it as a gear organizer in the pack. They weigh almost nothing. If whilst walking the Camino you decide you don't want it, leave it at an albergue. A laundry bag is always useful for someone.
Before you check the pack on tie up all straps tight and remove and carry on any must have and valuables. Pull the drawcord down tight on the laundry bag and put a couple of knots in it.
Also in the event you need to know the measurements of something in metric centimetres, yet have only a tape measure marked in inches, simply take the measurements in inches and take those figures and convert them using the internet. Just type it in. It's quite easy.

Last edited:
I'd look at getting a smaller pack. 65 liters is huge! And the pack itself weighs almost 2 kg. I've recently purchased the North Face Aleia 32, which is half the weight of the Terra, and it definitely fits in the overheads. I actually put it under the seat on a recent flight, though it did stick out a little.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/aleia-32-nf0a2scr?variationId=1SX

Thanks everyone. My husband and I double-checked the measurements tonight and the inflexible frame itself is definitely 64 cm long (Norwegian's max is 55 cm and EasyJet's is 56 cm). Yes, I should have just measured it in inches myself and converted, but frankly I put my faith (stupidly) in North Face's info. No, I'm not bringing a hair dryer or anything like that; in fact, as @Saint Mike II wrote above, I'm not bringing that much for it to only weigh 5.5 kg as it's packed now. It just felt like trying them on, the smaller packs scared me because I'm such a tall Amazonian woman -- everything smaller than this felt dainty/silly on me and like I wasn't doing it right, or I wasn't being a serious backpacker. It's psychological, of course. Rookie mistake? Yes. First and last time walking the Camino, I was bound to make some stupid mistakes that I cannot undo.

The whole question of what to bring is a real challenge though, isn't it? On the one hand, most of you are saying that 65L is too large (unless I'm packing a Left Shark onesie), but yet I don't have much that is appropriate to wear if I encounter snow in early April for example. If I were to pack cold-weather gear... the 65 L pack is full.

My choices now are to either spend an additional $200 on a smaller pack and start the process all over again, or try to carry it on and take comfort that at least a gate check means the bag made it onto the plane (that was a good idea @Tincatinker).

Thanks again, everyone.

Is it possible to exchange your pack for a smaller version of the same one?
That would solve the carry on problem.
To each their own of course, but 65L seems pretty large for the Camino...
I started out with a 38L and am now down to 30L for the last couple of Caminos.

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't think I can exchange it now. I've had it for 15 days, cut all the tags off, and have been practicing walking with it packed. It's new, but but definitely not fresh off the shelf new. I didn't imagine a scenario having to return it!

hanks! I don't think I can exchange it now. I've had it for 15 days, cut all the tags off, and have been practicing walking with it packed.
Depends on where you bought it. The fact that the North Face information was wrong should be a mitigating factor.
I don't have much that is appropriate to wear if I encounter snow in early April
The temperature is not likely to be much less than freezing, and when you are walking, you do not need heavy "winter" clothes. A long-sleeved base layer, a light-to-medium fleece or merino shirt and a rain jacket will probably be plenty when combined with gloves, a buff and a hat. If that's not enough, add whatever layer (top and bottom) you planned to wear for sleeping. Pull on rain pants if your legs are cold. In other words, if you get an unusual cold spell, just put on all of your light layers.

Hi Jen,

If my schoolboy trigonometry is correct (and that's a big if) the diagonal dimension of Norwegian's (the smaller of the two's) box limit is 68cm. So if as you suggest you don't have so much actually in your pack you should be wrestle it into the cage thing they have at the airport with 3cm to spare!

Hope it all works out.

Rob.

Edit: Jen- It's early and I think I've confused myself. How long is the frame?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depends on where you bought it. The fact that the North Face information was wrong should be a mitigating factor.

The temperature is not likely to be much less than freezing, and when you are walking, you do not need heavy "winter" clothes. A long-sleeved base layer, a light-to-medium fleece or merino shirt and a rain jacket will probably be plenty when combined with gloves, a buff and a hat. If that's not enough, add whatever layer (top and bottom) you planned to wear for sleeping. Pull on rain pants if your legs are cold. In other words, if you get an unusual cold spell, just put on all of your light layers.
That's pretty much how I dress for weather at home in Seattle, too. I was not planning to bring the real cold weather gear simply because of the space it would take up. Even my normal rain jacket rolls up into a fairly large wad, so I'm bringing a "weather-resistant" fleece-lined-but-thin zip jacket and a 3-pack of plastic emergency ponchos for heavy downpours. I'm a Seattle native: rain is no big deal, but we have no idea how to properly dress in snow (those of us who don't ski). So we just layer it on until we're sweating and/or can't move. ;-)

I mentioned it because I was questioning myself a tiny bit about not bringing cold-weather gear after reading other posts about April snow, and then struck by the posts in this thread indicating 65 L is too large of a pack. All I could think was "how does anyone fit their winter wear into a 30 L pack?"

Hi Jen,

If my schoolboy trigonometry is correct (and that's a big if) the diagonal dimension of Norwegian's (the smaller of the two's) box limit is 68cm. So if as you suggest you don't have so much actually in your pack you should be wrestle it into the cage thing they have at the airport with 3cm to spare!

Hope it all works out.

Rob.

Edit: Jen- It's early and I think I've confused myself. How long is the frame?

Thank you! We measured the frame itself at 64 cm long. That's top edge to bottom edge.

I'm a Seattle native: rain is no big deal, but we have no idea how to properly dress in snow
As a Seattle native you know exactly how to dress for the snow and rain you might get on the Camino in April. Snow will be wet. Rain will be certain. Take a light but waterproof rain jacket and it will serve you well for all conditions. A non-lined fabric with a separate light fleece gives you more versatility than a fleece lined jacket. Cheap plastic ponchos are not a good subsitute in April.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you! We measured the frame itself at 64 cm long. That's top edge to bottom edge.
Apart from the nuisance of checking the bag the most important thing is its fit not its size. If a small pack feels too small for your height and the big one is good then that is the right pack for you. The extra space could be good for the return journey if you want to take any gifts home for family from Santiago :).

On pack size - there was a recent article about Ryanair changing its on board sizes to 'laptop bag' measurements. our laptops would not fit by about 2cm.......No pack would unless you are on an upgraded boarding ticket.

On one of our backpacks, the frame consists of two loose metal poles which are not fastened into the fabric of the backpack. With a bit of wriggling, we managed to get them loose, stuffed them into the back of the backpack crossed - and presto, the pack was small enough to be hand luggage.

It took us half an hour to get the poles back where they were supposed to be after arrival, but was worth it.

Nowadays, I carry a larger pack, check it, and don't worry at all. 65 L is FINE.

like I wasn't doing it right, or I wasn't being a serious backpacker.
The Camino isn't a "serious" backpacking expedition. It's not the Appalachian or Pacific Crest Trail. I've seen people walking with what looks like a backpack that you would carry books in to school. I think that you will find "serious" and experienced pilgrims on the Camino carry pretty small backpacks. That's because experience has taught them that small and light are the way to go.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks everyone. My husband and I double-checked the measurements tonight and the inflexible frame itself is definitely 64 cm long (Norwegian's max is 55 cm and EasyJet's is 56 cm). Yes, I should have just measured it in inches myself and converted, but frankly I put my faith (stupidly) in North Face's info. No, I'm not bringing a hair dryer or anything like that; in fact, as @Saint Mike II wrote above, I'm not bringing that much for it to only weigh 5.5 kg as it's packed now. It just felt like trying them on, the smaller packs scared me because I'm such a tall Amazonian woman -- everything smaller than this felt dainty/silly on me and like I wasn't doing it right, or I wasn't being a serious backpacker. It's psychological, of course. Rookie mistake? Yes. First and last time walking the Camino, I was bound to make some stupid mistakes that I cannot undo.

The whole question of what to bring is a real challenge though, isn't it? On the one hand, most of you are saying that 65L is too large (unless I'm packing aLeft Shark onesie), but yet I don't have much that is appropriate to wear if I encounter snow in early April for example. If I were to pack cold-weather gear... the 65 L pack is full.

My choices now are to either spend an additional $200 on a smaller pack and start the process all over again, or try to carry it on and take comfort that at least a gate check means the bag made it onto the plane (that was a good idea @Tincatinker).

Thanks again, everyone.
Do not be too sure this is the last Camino! Once done you will no doubt be hooked.
Ups and downs with angels supporting you the whole Way.
Good wishes for a beautiful experience.

My pack is over size for carry-one, but the last few international flights when I asked at check-in I've been told it would be fine to carry it on because it weighed under 7 kilos (actually under 6). Admittedly not with a low cost carrier though.

(Added) And the flights were all fully booked too.

When I get to the airport ticket counter I take my pack off and put it down in front of me between me and the counter. I tell the agent no check in luggage. If the airline has a tag that they want you to put on the bag I just take it and put it on myself. Never a problem. When I am boarding the plan I keep the pack on my back. I board early, take whatever I need for the flight out of the top of my pack where I put everything for the flight out. Stick it in the over bin and no problems. The overseas flights are so packed the staff and attendants are too busy getting everyone onboard that they don’t even notice me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hola SeattleJen,
Don't fret. Your pack becomes your best friend on the road. It holds everything (almost) that you need to make this pilgrimage. If you have found a pack that is comfortable, go with it. I walked with the North Face Terra 40 and had to check it twice, without incident. No guarantees, but that's part of the lesson of the Camino, to let go and trust that all is well. As many have said on this forum, it's not the size of the pack, but the weight you are carrying. My issue was more of a weight concern than the size...easier to fill it up with things you don't really need (but that's another process in itself!) Sounds like you have that under control. Good for you!
Buen Camino y Ultreia,
elle

.................. I think that you will find "serious" and experienced pilgrims on the Camino carry pretty small backpacks. That's because experience has taught them that small and light are the way to go.
I have to say that respectfully I disagree with this part of your post. We carry the packs that fit best. Mine is 30lt and I can carry up to a maximum of 6.2 kg including food and water* (my height 5'4", and weight just over 62kg). My husband has a 45lt pack and can carry up to 8kg. (He is taller than me and weighs slightly less.)
Both of our packs were 'getting on' so we bought new for our 2015 Camino; both smaller although they expand to 30lt. Mine is OK but packs badly compared to the original, his just fits him badly compared to the old. Answer:- we take the old larger packs on Camino and leave the new ones at home - just use them for our home and practise walking. Comfortable fit is IMO the most important issue for a Camino pack, which will include its back length and own weight and the capacity is influenced by the frame size.

*Water - I carry 2x500ml = 1kg, my husband 2x 1lt = 2kg when our bottles are full.

Yes a pain. Our packs weighed in under 7kg but were too long for cabin bags and we had to the k them in
Burn camino

Gosh, Jen, sorry we couldn't have connected sooner! I'm in central Seattle and available if you'd like to see my 32 litre pack and contents. 1 hour should do it -- I know you're busy. You should be able to return even tho tags have been cut -- as long as you have the receipt!

I took my 48L pack as a carry-on, on several flights. It's what I would describe as an "average" 48L pack, a few years old and with a metal frame. It fits me well, and is very durable and well made, so on earlier season Caminos I use it because I can carry the few items extra needed for cooler weather. Even then it is not filled to full capacity. During the summer on the Camino I use my other pack, and it is about 35L, and very light.
When I did carry-on the 48L on a flight, I really compressed the contents down very tight, and pulled the straps in very tight, tied them together and double-knotted them. You'd be surprised how much smaller the pack gets doing that and it fit easily within the dimensions of that carry-on test box at the airport near the baggage counter. It pretty much becomes just the size of the metal pack frame (approximately 28x54 cm). Don't be afraid of damaging the pack. You won't. It's just a pack. I don't carry anything in the pack that can't be compressed down. It's just clothes and such. No liquids to speak of, save for a couple of small tubes of sunscreen and toothpaste. If you have delicate stuff you are afraid to compress down, maybe rethink about carrying it, and buy when you get to your destination (or just check the bag on).

Last edited:
*Water - I carry 2x500ml = 1kg, my husband 2x 1lt = 2kg when our bottles are full.
What's wrong with Spanish beer that you can sit down and enjoy at a cafe every 5 kms mostly?;)

Edit: To be serious: I have (atleast) 3 reasons for using a carry-on size backpack:

1. It prevents me from packing things I really do not need.
2. I know it will arrive with me.
3. I can go straight out of the airport without waiting for it to (hopefully) show up.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I mentioned it because I was questioning myself a tiny bit about not bringing cold-weather gear after reading other posts about April snow, and then struck by the posts in this thread indicating 65 L is too large of a pack. All I could think was "how does anyone fit their winter wear into a 30 L pack?"[/QUOTE]
You wear it on board the plane, I always travel in my boots because that is the last thing I want to lose, I don't do winter Caminos but I've seen people get on planes from Florida headed north in the winter time and they carry-on parka, scarves, hats, etc.

Edit: To be serious: I have (atleast) 3 reasons for using a carry-on size backpack:
3. I can go straight out of the airport without waiting for it to (hopefully) show up.
Spot on and makes a lot of sense. Even in the colder months, so little equipment is needed to walk the Camino. If the pack with gear is too heavy or large to be a carry-on, you are simply carrying too much.
There was a movie of sorts about the Camino Frances that came out a few years ago. One of those semi-documentary (and semi-scripted :D ) type movies that follows six pilgrims as they walk the Camino Frances. One female pilgrim has a large pack with a lot of equipment and her boyfriend has a much smaller, lighter pack and finally convinces her to discard most of her gear and get a smaller pack, and after she does she is much happier.
Anyway, humour aside, that portion of the movie is a good learning lesson.

I shall not peck on others, but would like to give you an example of how unexperienced walkers may think: On my first Camino, I brought a 750 gr. (3/4 kg.!) bicycle chain lock, with the intention of locking my pack to my bed/table/whatever, when I had to leave it (toilet etc.), without understanding that a thief would just use a knife to cut up the pack and take what he/she wanted. And it never happened... The lock was unused the whole walk. It went into the garbage bin upon my returning home. Your laugh is shared with me, in hindsight.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just check it and don't worry about it. I have checked my pack on all four Camino's and never gave it a second thought and never had an issue. I have a 60L pack and have never considered a smaller pack as I like the way mine fits me. I do have a light weight over bag to protect it. Gear is such a miniscule part in the overall scheme of a Camino.

Don't get worked up over nothing. As long as your pack is comfortable, that is the main thing.

Have a great walk!

Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
First and last time walking the Camino, I was bound to make some stupid mistakes that I cannot undo.
So, what next? A kaleidoscope of opinions. and questions. what do you want to do now? I agree with suggestions to wrap the pack in a safe bag to try to avoid disasters with straps being torn off. And nobody is going to hold you to your sentence above, only yourself. Go on, laugh! It’s easier than feeling miserable. It ain’t what happens, it’s what you do with what happens.... buen camino.

Spain is not the North Pole - and there are plenty of outdoor shops such as Decathlon if you need more clothes - indeed, there may not be any snow - I think fleece, hat, gloves , light rain jacket and sleeping bag should be sufficient added to merino wool top and long johns that can do double duty for day and night if needed

I walk in May / September without a fleece and with a sleeping bag liner instead of a bag - my pack is 12L - so my advice would be to exchange the 65L pack for something under 40L that fits what you intend to bring

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

My pack was too tall with all my stuff in it to take it as a carry on. So I took a pillow case, and put my clothes in the pillow case on the top of the pack. I also wore my jacket. Then when I had to measure my pack for a carry on, I took out the pillow case (that became my "purse") until I got on the plane. Then my pillow case with clothes was my pillow. :)

The Camino isn't a "serious" backpacking expedition. It's not the Appalachian or Pacific Crest Trail. I've seen people walking with what looks like a backpack that you would carry books in to school. I think that you will find "serious" and experienced pilgrims on the Camino carry pretty small backpacks. That's because experience has taught them that small and light are the way to go.
I think some of those people carrying teeny tiny packs are having their luggage transported ahead.

Put extra layers of clothes on in order to leave room in the bag so you can collapse it. Carry a plastic bag in your pocket. When you get on the plane take the clothes off so you do not swelter. Put clothes on again before connecting flight. You can reduce the size of the bag if it is not full!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We
I think some of those people carrying teeny tiny packs are having their luggage transported ahead.

Many pilgrims learn to make every item count and often serve multiple functions. We start, still in Winter, next week, and my pack, clothes and essentials including a mini IPad way under 4K..not counting my hiking poles which need to be checked! Transport on Camino does not start from Leon until March 15th!

I'm off on my 3rd Camino in May, and I have found it easier to buy a pack cover and put my pack, poles, boots, etc. into the plane luggage. Travelling from Australia means a brief stopover in Dubai and I don't like the hassle of competing for overhead lockers.
Have a great trip.

I check my pack in every time. I have my walking poles inside and usually a knife. So far, it has always arrived safe and sound.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Jen,

I had a similar experience several years ago and was apprehensive about booking the pack (alone) in stowage. In an effort to avoid my bag from getting lost or damaged I went to a 2nd hand store here, purchased a large duffle bag for $5 and put my pack in it. Once in Spain I gave it away to a taxi driver (So I didnot have to carry it 500 miles). Once in Santiago I found another 2nd hand store and bought another one and did the same coming home.

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!

My pack was too tall with all my stuff in it to take it as a carry on. So I took a pillow case, and put my clothes in the pillow case on the top of the pack. I also wore my jacket. Then when I had to measure my pack for a carry on, I took out the pillow case (that became my "purse") until I got on the plane. Then my pillow case with clothes was my pillow. :)
That's brilliant!

Thanks so much, everyone, for your great ideas, encouragement, and yes, even the scolding. What I thought would be a mindless personal pity party turned into a really good discussion about a wide range of topics: carry on solutions, appropriate pack sizes and fits for different body types, and just how creative everyone is for solving problems. Although there was a point I was worried about what wrath I had wrought upon myself, this was a really great thread. Thank you everyone, and Buen Camino! :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will admit that if I really do have that much room left in my 65 L pack, bringing a cosmetic kit, a couple of hair dryers, tea set, and a ball gown is pretty tempting. ;) (stuff I don't even use at home, but hey, might as well open myself up to new opportunities)

That's pretty much how I dress for weather at home in Seattle, too. I was not planning to bring the real cold weather gear simply because of the space it would take up. Even my normal rain jacket rolls up into a fairly large wad, so I'm bringing a "weather-resistant" fleece-lined-but-thin zip jacket and a 3-pack of plastic emergency ponchos for heavy downpours. I'm a Seattle native: rain is no big deal, but we have no idea how to properly dress in snow (those of us who don't ski). So we just layer it on until we're sweating and/or can't move. ;-)

I mentioned it because I was questioning myself a tiny bit about not bringing cold-weather gear after reading other posts about April snow, and then struck by the posts in this thread indicating 65 L is too large of a pack. All I could think was "how does anyone fit their winter wear into a 30 L pack?"
Oh been there done that. Would not want to even admit to myself how much money I have wasted on unsuitable gear. Speaking for myself, my theory is, given the cost of travelling from Australia and walking at snail’s pace so away for weeks and weeks, that when I have some reason to believe that an expensive piece of equipment might not work (regardless of whether it is pack, boots, clothes, etc.) it is financially viable to work harder to find a suitable alternative. I have seen many people abandon their camino because of things like the wrong gear of pushing too hard at the beginning.

A few points I would like to point out:
'Winter' gear. I have walked several times in snow blizzards in May and Oct. For these conditions I wear a woolen thin short sleeve tee shirt, a long sleeve tee shirt, a light fleece and a good quality completely waterproof rain jacket. So long as I keep walking I am warm. If you stop you get cold. So I once walked from O"Cebreiro to Triacastello (21km) without stopping.
My pack is 6.2kg in a 22L day pack, but it would be better in a slightly bigger pack that fitted better.
I ALWAYS wear my boots getting on and off the plane but wear them loosely or not at all in the plane.
Cheap airlines such as Ryanair measure your cabin baggage in the departure lounge and if it is oversize they charge an exorbitant fee and they are ruthless.
After 100's of international flights in all five continents during the past combined ninety years, neither my son nor myself have ever lost or had checked baggage delayed or lost.
These are my own opinions and I am sure there will be contrasting opinions, but everyone has to make their own decisions, which is hard for newcomers. But after reading this forum for over 7 years, I feel that most people worry far too much. IMHO of course!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What's wrong with Spanish beer that you can sit down and enjoy at a cafe every 5 kms mostly?;)

My drink of choice is cafe con leche every 5kms - if there is a bar. On the Primitivo and Ingles these are not found so often as on the Frances. Sad , but I am stuck with the water.

On a more serious note our pack size is for comfort and our kit is for May when we have had it cold and needed an extra fleece each etc to keep warm. Those who can manage without are very lucky. We don't pack anything we have not found, from past experience, that we need. Carry on is not an issue as we use the ferry :):)

On a more serious note our pack size is for comfort and our kit is for May when we have had it cold and needed an extra fleece each etc to keep warm.
I always carry a fleece, a light (windproof!) jacket and a sleeping bag. When I walked the VdlP in May 2012 (from Salamanca, as continuation of the previous year) I had 21 days of rain & wind, 2 days of snow on mountain passes, and 1 day of partial sun the day I was walking into Santiago. What a "spring"!...

Last edited:
I'm a carry on convert. On & off the plane and....just GO. Love it.

I use to have an 80L backpack. But i've since lightened my load and all my packs are now 50L and under. 50L may even seem too big, but packs vary. My Osprey Stratos 50 is actually much shorter in height compared to my Osprey Talon 44 or Exos 38! So always compare in person.

I pack less clothes now that i've switched to light quick dry materials like merino wool. I don't carry books anymore. All my reading material is on my ipad mini which also replaced my laptop. Etc. etc.

You never know what the check in people will do. But being nice and personable to them won't hurt. Chit chat and smile. I've gotten packs way too big for carry on approved, and I think being nice helped. That being said, Definitely try to wear as much of your clothes as possible to the airport, and like others have said...cinch your pack down tight with the compression straps.

Not only is taking carry on more convenient, it's also a lot easier on your back! Bien Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought an item to carry my backpack so I can check it. Flying on Norwegian also. Light weight, compact and works wonderfully. I am able to pack my poles in it also so that problem is solved. I will use the sack as a liner for my backpack while walking providing extra protection from April rains. They are all nicely made in Nepal so an added plus is that you are providing jobs for Nepalis at a fair wage. That sealed the deal for me. Competitively priced with similar items. You can see them at http://www.pro-tector.co.uk

Thanks. I feel kind of silly complaining now. Checking bags is not the end of the world... I'm just worried now. Everything will be good, right?

Dear Jen - welcome to the Camino! All of us can relate to that feeling, “If I pay attention to every detail, this huge endeavor will be less scary...”.

And then, the day comes - you take those first strides...you notice other pilgrims, take a deep breath and start living in that moment.

Everything won’t be merely good - everything will be GREAT. Because even as you face challenges, you’re part of the miracle that is the Camino.

You’re going to love it - and it will love you!

This is from my experiences only and is not provided as a challenge to anyone else's experiences.

No need to read this with so many previous posts but carry-on dimensions was what I started with. That pointed me to a 48L pack or smaller. Then I discovered the 48L Osprey Kestrel allowed me to carry too much.

See where I am going?

Start with what you NEED to carry, then find a pack that will hold that. I did this by putting everything I was taking into a garbage bag and took it to the store to place into a pack before putting it on.

Pack weight is not as simple as saying, "You can carry 10% of your body weight." Honestly, to be safe, and save a ton of leg and foot problems, limit packed weight to 10 to 12 lb. Some may be able to handle more but most everyone, strong or weak, fit or not so fit, can carry 10 to 12 lb. over a long distance.

A 65L pack can weigh 5 lb or more. When using a smaler pack, the wieght of it is less, the features are fewer, but carrying less means fewer features are really needed as well.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Before checking-in your pack, you could consider employing the services of one of the for-hire suitcase-stretch-wrapping-machine kiosks that are found in the departure lobbies of many airports. The websites of some airports identify commercial services that are available to travellers, including whether or not stretch-wrapping is available.

My 65 litre external frame pack went as checked-in luggage on both overseas flights last year, with no problems. I was a bit worried that the frame might get mangled en-route, but that did not occur, possibly because the loaded pack was not heavy. My heaviest items were my boots, which I wore on the flights.

I ensured that all pack straps were secure and loose ends tucked in, and that my collapsed poles were securely tied to the pack frame at the centre of the spine side of the pack, with nothing protruding beyond the pack envelope. The collapsed poles were shorter than the length of the pack. I did wrap tape around the removable rubber tips and the adjacent portions of the poles to help prevent loss of rubber tips en-route.

I paid a fellow at one of the kiosks to stretch-wrap my pack. He re-oriented my pack half-way through the process to ensure that the stretch-wrapping covered all six surfaces and all corners of my pack with multiple layers of film.

The stretch-wrapping was very effective in keeping my pack clean, preventing tears, protecting the straps from snags, and preventing loss of poles. It was not costly and I consider it money well spent.

I examined the spent stretch film afterwards. Although there was a long length of film, because the film is very strong and thin the actual mass of film used was very small. The film went into the recycle bin, obviously.

You have more to worry about than losing your pack. If you are planning on carrying a pack that size, your chance of finishing is minimal not to mention the possibility of serious injury. I have walked the Camino twice & my pack weighed 11 lbs including my sleeping bag. It did not include water & food for the day.

@SeattleJen says that her pack and clothes and most other gear weighs 5.5kg. That is a good weight - the size of her pack is therefore not important if it fits well. Fit is more important than actual size and an smaller ill fitting pack is more likely to cause problems than the one she has that does fit.
Please can we not encourage folk to take small packs that maybe don't fit but to take good fitting packs, even if larger, with minimal baggage.

I too ended up with a pack that was bigger than I wanted because of fit. I had planned to get a 36L women's pack, but after walking around in the store, I felt the small pack was suffocating me - and ultimately ended up with a man's 48L (though in the small size it is actually 46L). I was glad for the good fit (even though it could have been lighter...) So I get it! 5.5kg is impressively light for a first camino, so I wouldn't worry about the size impacting your camino as long as it feels good on your back.

As for the checking in issue, those low-cost carriers can be pretty ruthless about bag size. Just keep in mind that the closer to take-off you check your bag, the more expensive it gets. It is cheapest to pay for a checked bag when you buy the ticket (that ship has sailed for you!), next cheapest when you check-in online, then most expensive at the airport (around 50 euro). So if you know you are going to check in for sure, and cost is an issue, you should plan to pay for it ahead of time. Otherwise, roll the dice and you might get lucky!

If there are two of you traveling, you could also find a duffel big enough for both bags and then just pay for one checked bag.

Good luck...and buen camino!

Apart from the nuisance of checking the bag the most important thing is its fit not its size. If a small pack feels too small for your height and the big one is good then that is the right pack for you. The extra space could be good for the return journey if you want to take any gifts home for family from Santiago :).

On pack size - there was a recent article about Ryanair changing its on board sizes to 'laptop bag' measurements. our laptops would not fit by about 2cm.......No pack would unless you are on an upgraded boarding ticket.
Suggest you check airline rules carefully. My research states Ryanair allow you to take the hand luggage size bag plus the handbag, so that's the same as before. However, the difference is that they will put your larger bag in the hold for free, at the aircraft steps- unless you pay before checkin to keep it with you! So if you have a small backpack like me, cover the straps so it's safe in the hold or pay, £6 for my flight. (It was introduced for efficiency, as people take too long searching for overhead lockers. )

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is a good rule: If you KNOW you'll need it, pack it. If you THINK you'll need it, leave it at home.
The key factor here is whether your "thinking" is based on accurate information. If I THINK I will need something, I will take it with me! o_O But then we can debate what "need" means! :rolleyes:

The key factor here is whether your "thinking" is based on accurate information. If I THINK I will need something, I will take it with me! o_O But then we can debate what "need" means! :rolleyes:
Agree. And all the albergues, for the first days, are packed with stuff that people THOUGHT they needed. All free for you to pick up and carry on for a few more days. :):)

Why not return it to a NF store?

@SeattleJen I used a 65L pack, and was glad - not for the capacity (I didn't use half the volume!), but for the comfort. It worked for me. If it feels good on, it will work for you.

I didn't have a problem with carry on during homeward bound flights, because it was cinched up tight, but I suspect that my frame length was a bit shorter than yours - I don' t know and I wasn't condemned to put it in the box to see if it fit. My flights were not fully booked, so it is possible that in a fully booked flight they will be more stringent and ask you to check your bag.

Do you have lots of time between your flights in London? If the connections are fairly generous, then you should be ok if you do have to check your bag at the last minute. If the connection is short, then you might need to think about a new pack to guarantee you can carry on.

I often fly with easyJet (and Norwegian)

easyJet - check in online, print your boarding pass, go straight through security, avoiding checkin. Hang back at the gate. Only the first 90 boarders take their luggage on - the rest travels (free) in the hold. As they're a point-to-point airline they rarely lose anything.

Haven't flown transantlantic with Norwegian, but they're pretty laid back. I think you have to check in at the airport - ask at the desk if your bag is ok and smile sweetly. If you're not prepared to risk it, add checked bag online up to 6 hours before your flight.

Buen Camino!

Thanks everyone! I had dinner with an experienced peregrina last night, and she thinks the only thing I still need to pack is an extra pair of casual shoes (to give my boots resting/drying time). If I can find a pair that take up very little space and are light, I should still be OK. My goal is to make sure the whole thing is under 6 kg with the addition of a pair of shoes. Wish me luck!

Also, after the intense conversations here, I asked my good friend who is an experienced hiker and helped me practice and adjust the pack (then we walked 6 miles together). He is certain that the frame and fit of my pack is perfect for me so I'm sticking with my gut and keeping it. It just FEELS the best on, especially when I think about how the smaller packs felt on my tall Amazonian body. I was like a bear wearing Tinkerbell wings with the smaller "womens" packs. Very few women are my height with my broad shoulders. Think of every female college rower or softball player you have seen and that's me (except I'm the mid-40s empty-nested-mom version).

For spare shoes you could try Crocs unisex clogs. Rather ugly but very light and can be worn with the strap over as clogs or behind heel for sandal style.

Suggest you check airline rules carefully. My research states Ryanair allow you to take the hand luggage size bag plus the handbag, so that's the same as before. However, the difference is that they will put your larger bag in the hold for free, at the aircraft steps- unless you pay before checkin to keep it with you! So if you have a small backpack like me, cover the straps so it's safe in the hold or pay, £6 for my flight. (It was introduced for efficiency, as people take too long searching for overhead lockers. )
This was new information which is now covered here in a specific Ryanair thread. If flying with Ryanair then please do check out the new rules.

For spare shoes you could try Crocs unisex clogs. Rather ugly but very light and can be worn with the strap over as clogs or behind heel for sandal style.

Crocs live! I haven't seen Crocs around here in years. Do you think they would be available in Bordeaux? Thanks for the tip. I'm dreading the second pair of "light" shoes task in front of me now. I hate dealing with shoes (wide feet).

@SeattleJen ...if you bought that pack at REI in Seattle you can return it regardless of the tags, etc being removed. I highly recommend you do exchange it for a smaller pack.
I see that @OTH86 above has offered to share her thoughts about returning the pack and ideas on a more reasonable size. I am available here in Seattle as well if you want another opinion.

Thank you for the link. I'm flying Norwegian (Seattle to Gatwick) and EasyJet (Gatwick to continent and back).
Hi just incase you don't know easyJet has a different carry-on policy to Ryanair! Just one easyjet cabin bag, no weight limit and 56x45x25 whereas Norwegian allows 2, the larger being 55x40x23!

Crocs live! I haven't seen Crocs around here in years. Do you think they would be available in Bordeaux? Thanks for the tip. I'm dreading the second pair of "light" shoes task in front of me now. I hate dealing with shoes (wide feet).
We have had to buy them from Amazon. The only problem comes with making sure you buy the right size. Check the order and sizing carefully.
Latest pair came from Milletts (UK) and they gave clear sizing info.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My pack is over size for carry-one, but the last few international flights when I asked at check-in I've been told it would be fine to carry it on because it weighed under 7 kilos (actually under 6). Admittedly not with a low cost carrier though.

(Added) And the flights were all fully booked too.

Hi, Kanga, this is a late entry to your post re sizes of packs. I'm flying Qantas and Lufthansa (tomorrow) and they seem to have the generous 10kg limit. My flight from Venise to Barcelona on Ryanair seems to be another story though. Quite strict, I have read, on bag sizes and weights. I have purchased the Priority boarding which gives me 2 bags on the flight but the size restrictions still apply. Wish me luck!

The whole question of what to bring is a real challenge though, isn't it? On the one hand, most of you are saying that 65L is too large (unless I'm packing a Left Shark onesie), but yet I don't have much that is appropriate to wear if I encounter snow in early April for example. If I were to pack cold-weather gear... the 65 L pack is full.

Thanks again, everyone.

I'm sure you'll manage carrying it. ;) The airlines can be a bit of a lottery though.......
The overall weight is good at 5.5 KG is really good for such a large pack. It must be half empty?
Are you sure you weighed it correctly? :rolleyes:

We are definitely not serious back packers or 'doing it right'.
Pat's pack is 22 L (3.7 kg) and mine is 34 L (8 kg) :eek::eek:
2 sets of gear, sleeping bags, rain gear etc etc.

Are you sure you didn't slip in a snowmobile somewhere :)

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Kanga, this is a late entry to your post re sizes of packs. I'm flying Qantas and Lufthansa (tomorrow) and they seem to have the generous 10kg limit. My flight from Venise to Barcelona on Ryanair seems to be another story though. Quite strict, I have read, on bag sizes and weights. I have purchased the Priority boarding which gives me 2 bags on the flight but the size restrictions still apply. Wish me luck!
Good luck! Try to pull all your straps super tight to make it smaller as cheap nofrills airlines are cheap because of their rules, allowing them to operate quickly. If it obviously couldn't fit in their streamlined overhead locker, they can charge you for hold luggage at the gate. Hope it works out for you. (I've just returned yesterday from France with easyJet with my 30L Camino pack and I saw a few bigger but not much.) The people who had too much paid hold fees as a fine, so do take some cash just in case. I really hope it works

We

Many pilgrims learn to make every item count and often serve multiple functions. We start, still in Winter, next week, and my pack, clothes and essentials including a mini IPad way under 4K..not counting my hiking poles which need to be checked! Transport on Camino does not start from Leon until March 15th!
I found that waterproof boots make ideal bowls for cereal in the morning. You may occasionally find that your feet smell a bit 'milky' but otherwise it's all good.
P.s. using boots as bowls is good.. using bowls as boots is less so.

Hi, I decided to check my light backpack into the hold because I am worried about getting my walking poles through security. It costs £40! However, at least the poles will (hopefully) arrive with me.

I agree that fit is the most important consideration when picking a pack, as long as you don't fill it with (unnecessary) things. I am also very tall and broad shouldered but I can't stand packs that stick up behind me so I can't look up without knocking the back of my head into it. I fly Ryanair a lot and both my 30L and my 44L camino packs fit within the measurements. The 44L is big, but light and comfortable for me, and is just higher than my shoulders so it lifts the straps a bit, transferring the weight to my hips.
I have just come back from a walk up to O Cebreiro in rain, sunshine, hail, snow and whipping snow flurries, but stayed warm without any extra kit. I just layered short sleeve + long sleeve merino top, then a lightweight fleece, a Marmot Precip lightweight rain jacket I also wear as a windbreaker, and topped it with a poncho - a decent one with a hump for the pack, sleeves and a zip up the front. You might want to get one of them as your all-in-one raingear when you get to Spain because there *will* be rain, and lots of it! Your 3-pack of plastic ponchos will make wonderful picnic blankets ...
Oh and to answer your question earlier: Yes. Everything will be fine, just fine. Buen camino!

I’m a 6’2” Amazonian woman like yourself and the m 30L “women’s” Osprey or other brand backpacks just aren’t long enough in the torso for me. I ended up with a 38L men’s Gregory in “long torso” size that actually holds about 44L given the extra length and top pocket. Bag is supremely comfy, hip belt and load lifters allow me to customize the fit to my thin frame.

I have checked it inside another bag on 8 flights (some Camino, some not) the last year and haven’t had a problem with them losing it or damaging it. Trash bag and tape work great!

I’d rather carry a bag that’s a little bigger than everyone else’s if it fits me properly and I can walk carrying it comfortably all day. Just fight the urge to add more with the extra space! It’s another one of the “tall taxes” we have to bear, like paying more for longer trousers and exit rows on planes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.