• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack List VdlP Feb 2017

Don Camillo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 04-16
Norte/Primitivo 09-16
VdlP/ Sanabres 02/3-17
Levante 09/17,
Ruta de la Lana 09/18
Shortly about to commence VdlP from Seville with the intention/ambition of an R V with my partner when she flies into Santiago late March. It has been a while since I was last in Seville and this time I will take the opportunity to visit Italica....a long held ambition.
The following is my pack list refined from previous Caminos but taking into account the fact it's February. Total weight comes in at about 6.5 kg but this excludes water (will be carrying 1lt) and food. Realistically the max weight should be about 8 kg.
Ruck Sack again using my lightweight Vango Khumbu 50 ltr
Bivvy Bag. waterproof, breathable, tried and tested offering complete flexibility for overnight stops.
Snug Pak Sleeping Bag rated at a comfort level of 2 degrees - not overly sure I believe this rating but I have a plan. I will upgrade the rating by wearing my down jacket should need arise. This is a replacement for my down bag which I wrecked trying to clean it !
Cut down mat.
Clothing (including what I will be wearing).
Waterproof jacket.
Waterproof trousers.
2 x Craghopper trekking trousers.
2 x wicking T Shirts.
2 x wicking long sleeve tops.
1 x mid layer fleece.
Down Jacket (400g)
Boxers
Socks
Boots. Sticking to my UK army surplus Altberg Defenders. They managed the Norte/Primivito last year with hardly any wear and no blisters or feet issues for me (my Karrimor fabric boots were wrecked on the Frances and the soles worn through). The Altbergs are lightweight and waterproof to a reasonable degree although I have to carry wax to reproof them now and again.
Lightweight flip flops.
Gloves and Cap
Kit. Guidebook by Gerald Kelly updated 2016 following his Camino in Feb of that year. Note book, pen and reading glasses . Compass. Whistle and Emergency Blanket. Head Torch and spare AAA Batteries. Small first aid kit. Basic sewing kit plus safety pins. Spare lace and para cord. Mobile phone and charger. Micro towel and toiletries (taking soap this time as opposed to shower gel). Skin cream. Opinal pocket knife. MP3 Player - powered by AAA battery. No weight but weighty decision to pack it or not. I have resolved not to listen to it whilst walking but it will be something to listen to whilst sleeping out watching the shooting stars and satellites go by.
Passport and Credencial. 2 x .5 lt plastic water bottles.
For what its worth.
Buen Camino.
Don.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What are you going to do for water for the longer stretches? 1 litre is not enough. The first test will be the walk to Almaden where you need to carry all of your water for the day.

Shortly about to commence VdlP from Seville with the intention/ambition of an R V with my partner when she flies into Santiago late March. It has been a while since I was last in Seville and this time I will take the opportunity to visit Italica....a long held ambition.
The following is my pack list refined from previous Caminos but taking into account the fact it's February. Total weight comes in at about 6.5 kg but this excludes water (will be carrying 1lt) and food. Realistically the max weight should be about 8 kg.
Bivvy Bag. waterproof, breathable, tried and tested offering complete flexibility for overnight stops.
Snug Pak Sleeping Bag rated at a comfort level of 2 degrees - not overly sure I believe this rating but I have a plan. I will upgrade the rating by wearing my down jacket should need arise. This is a replacement for my down bag which I wrecked trying to clean it !
Cut down mat.
Waterproof jacket.
Waterproof trousers.
2 x wicking T Shirts.
1 x mid layer fleece.
Down Jacket (400g)
Boxers
Socks
Boots. Sticking to my UK army surplus Altberg Defenders. They managed the Norte/Primivito last year with hardly any wear and no blisters or feet issues for me (my Karrimor fabric boots were wrecked on the Frances and the soles worn through). The Altbergs are lightweight and waterproof to a reasonable degree although I have to carry wax to reproof them now and again.
Lightweight flip flops.
Gloves and Cap
Kit. Guidebook by Gerald Kelly updated 2016 following his Camino in Feb of that year. Note book, pen and reading glasses . Compass. Whistle and Emergency Blanket. Head Torch and spare AAA Batteries. Small first aid kit. Basic sewing kit plus safety pins. Spare lace and para cord. Mobile phone and charger. Micro towel and toiletries (taking soap this time as opposed to shower gel). Skin cream. Opinal pocket knife. MP3 Player - powered by AAA battery. No weight but weighty decision to pack it or not. I have resolved not to listen to it whilst walking but it will be something to listen to whilst sleeping out watching the shooting stars and satellites go by.
For what its worth.
Buen Camino.
Don.
Cut down mat.
Waterproof jacket.
Waterproof trousers.
2 x wicking T Shirts.
1 x mid layer fleece.
Down Jacket (400g)
Boxers
Socks
Lightweight flip flops.
Gloves and Cap
For what its worth.
Buen Camino.
Don.
Buenos Camino...I begin March 3 in Seville and have similar list. Only carrying my one trekking pant. I'm staying in albergues, not camping.
I'm carrying a battery power pack for long days with heavy camera and GPS usage.
Ben Camino, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventure as you pave the trail ahead of me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Donna ,Rosa thank you for your replies.
Donna, you make a good point - the section is 29klm, a long day but achievable. I may then take .75 ltr bottles instead of .5ltr ones just to be comfortable. Not an issue as I just re-use mineral water bottles from the supermarket. I have small amount of spare capacity in the ruck sack so on longer stages I will just pack more supplies depending on what my plans are and where I intend to stay.
Rosa , Seville is a beautiful city, last time apart from the cathedral one of the highlights was climbing to the top of the "Mushrooms" for a view over the city. I am in two minds as to if I start off towards Italica on my day of arrival (14.30) which I will consider if I can get my credencial date stamped at the tourist office at train station or at cathedral. If not I will probably head for Backpackers and get a mid morning start the following day. To a large degree I will let the Camino set its own pace.
I have a smart phone but no roaming net connection so no GPS, at least it has a camera and I stuck a 16gb micro SD card in there to store all the pics. Gerald Kelly in his guide says words to effect of if doubt just head north" hence my compass (although I know it may not be as simple as that).
Buen Camino,
Don

Cut down mat.
Waterproof jacket.
Waterproof trousers.
2 x wicking T Shirts.
1 x mid layer fleece.
Down Jacket (400g)
Boxers
Socks
Lightweight flip flops.
Gloves and Cap
For what its worth.
Buen Camino.
Don.[/QUOTE

Don, what is a cut down mat?
I'm thinking of a similar time line to you. Feb/March Camino.
Just comparing lists..
Amelia

Don, what is a cut down mat?
I'm thinking of a similar time line to you. Feb/March Camino.
Just comparing lists..
Amelia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cut down mat.
Waterproof jacket.
Waterproof trousers.
2 x wicking T Shirts.
1 x mid layer fleece.
Down Jacket (400g)
Boxers
Socks
Lightweight flip flops.
Gloves and Cap
For what its worth.
Buen Camino.
Don.
Hi Don what was the weight and make of your bivvy bag?

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back