• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack Pics

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0045.JPG About 80 per cent loaded. No problem carry on from Sacramento to Fort Lauderdale Southwest. Next leg to Barcelona is British Airways. Should fit carry on. Checked tube with 2 pairs poles and various sharps. Pack is REI Trail 40, El Camino load about 15.5 lb. For size reference shoes are men's 11.5A. This pack works for me but may not work for you. It is reasonably priced for a high end pack. Womens' models available.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK I'll play along!
100% loaded. No problem carry on from my crummy airport to Madrid and back on Delta. Tube with poles plus my boots are in the pack. Pack is a 2014 Mammot Crea Light 40L but in my XS torso size I think I read it is about 37L, Camino load once boots and poles were removed, about 14.5 lb. For size reference shoes are women's US9. This pack works for me but may not work for you. It was reasonably priced, $159 or so for a light weight IMG_2167.JPG pack (on Amazon at the time of purchase). Men's' models available too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 36498 View attachment 36499 About 80 per cent loaded. No problem carry on from Sacramento to Fort Lauderdale Southwest. Next leg to Barcelona is British Airways. Should fit carry on. Checked tube with 2 pairs poles and various sharps. Pack is REI Trail 40, El Camino load about 15.5 lb. For size reference shoes are men's 11.5A. This pack works for me but may not work for you. It is reasonably priced for a high end pack. Womens' models available.
I tried the women's model of this pack, and really liked it. The only thing that it lacked for me was the trampoline style back, which I really wanted for summer Caminoing.

OK I'll play along!
100% loaded. No problem carry on from my crummy airport to Madrid and back on Delta. Tube with poles plus my boots are in the pack. Pack is a 2014 Mammot Crea Light 40L but in my XS torso size I think I read it is about 37L, Camino load once boots and poles were removed, about 14.5 lb. For size reference shoes are women's US9. This pack works for me but may not work for you. It was reasonably priced, $159 or so for a light weight View attachment 36504 pack (on Amazon at the time of purchase). Men's' models available too.
This forum is not the right place for mean spirited sarcasm.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And here’s mine from this year. Doesn’t get much better than this!
Alas no Donkey but note the emergency stash of “incentive” in the back pocket. ;););)
Edit: Mountain Laurel Designs 38L frameless. Wouldn’t suit everyone but suits me.
8B6452C6-373E-450B-8327-CAC9C1A5A559.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 36498 View attachment 36499 About 80 per cent loaded. No problem carry on from Sacramento to Fort Lauderdale Southwest. Next leg to Barcelona is British Airways. Should fit carry on. Checked tube with 2 pairs poles and various sharps. Pack is REI Trail 40, El Camino load about 15.5 lb. For size reference shoes are men's 11.5A. This pack works for me but may not work for you. It is reasonably priced for a high end pack. Womens' models available.
This is great information because when I walk the Portuguese Coastal Camino hopefully in October 2018, I was considering using my bigger backpack but at near 60 years of age was thinking that might be too much for a little lady like me :). As they say less is more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Less is definitely more. It seems to be human nature that if you have the room, it will be filled. And, of course, the weight of the pack goes to the max.

I admit it. I did it to myself. I started packing the night before leaving. Big Mistake Number ONE. Fully packed, I had 32 lb. Not Happening. I had created a MONSTER.

Twenty minutes later, changed out cameras and laptop for an iPad, and supporting gear and it was down to 20 lb. It was still not enough but that was what I had in my mind that I needed.

Long story short, even though I really should have pared it down by half, if possible, there was a much greater problem that got right past me. My pack is modern with an inner fram, carrying 20 lb., less than 10% of my body weight. However, the fram I was born with was carrying about 80 lb more than it should be carrying and there was no way that I was going to be able to lose more than a couple of ounces in a few hours.

So, after three days, barely making it to Zubiri and damaging my left leg, I finally realized I was a 243 lb 64 year old woman carrying a 20 lb pack. Sure, the pack could lose a few pounds. But I finally did the math this way.

243 - 80 = 163 lb. (me)

20 - 10 = 10 lb (pack)

163 (Nominal body weight) + 10 (Nominal pack weight) = 173 lb.

Instead, I left SJPdP with;

163 + 80 (excess body weight) + 20 lb (actual pack weight) = 263 lb.

So, even if I dropped 10 lb from the pack, I was going to eventually still injure my leg, which, after 13 months, feels like it has not healed at all.

To sum up, if you are overweight and going on the Camino, check your body weight to fitness ability......and take the lightest pack weight you can absolutely get away with for 5 or 6 weeks.

Hope this provides a new perspective. To YOUR Success.

Less is definitely more. It seems to be human nature that if you have the room, it will be filled. And, of course, the weight of the pack goes to the max.

I admit it. I did it to myself. I started packing the night before leaving. Big Mistake Number ONE. Fully packed, I had 32 lb. Not Happening. I had created a MONSTER.

Twenty minutes later, changed out cameras and laptop for an iPad, and supporting gear and it was down to 20 lb. It was still not enough but that was what I had in my mind that I needed.

Long story short, even though I really should have pared it down by half, if possible, there was a much greater problem that got right past me. My pack is modern with an inner fram, carrying 20 lb., less than 10% of my body weight. However, the fram I was born with was carrying about 80 lb more than it should be carrying and there was no way that I was going to be able to lose more than a couple of ounces in a few hours.

So, after three days, barely making it to Zubiri and damaging my left leg, I finally realized I was a 243 lb 64 year old woman carrying a 20 lb pack. Sure, the pack could lose a few pounds. But I finally did the math this way.

243 - 80 = 163 lb. (me)

20 - 10 = 10 lb (pack)

So, even if I dropped 10 lb from the pack, I was going to eventually still injure my leg, which, after 13 months, feels like it has not healed at all.

To sum up, if you are overweight and going on the Camino, check your body weight to fitness ability......and take the lightest pack weight you can absolutely get away with for 5 or 6 weeks.

Excellent explanation! If a person wants to walk from SJPDP to Santiago & beyond please slow down in the first 2 weeks. I think most injuries I witnessed from blisters to leg issues people pushed too hard.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

243 - 80 = 163 lb. (me)

20 - 10 = 10 lb (pack)

This is great information, thank you. As have gotten older I have adhered to the 3, 3, 3 rule and then cut that down. Travelling is about travelling and the experience, not lugging along a fashion store, in my luggage, but that is in my humble opinion. If I was 20 years old I might disagree :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My 2nd Camino I took A LOT less. This is my 10L pack I took on CF Oct-Nov 2017

Attachments

• IMG_9519.jpg
    IMG_9519.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
My pack same as OP! REI Trail 40litre - opens all the way upnso packing is easy. Weighed just over 15lbs (without water...or the wine bottles I am carrying in the photo! 😎). I used this to walk over 1000km and then traveling around Europe during an 82 day trip.

Pack light, it can be done!!! I’m 6’, 240lbs so my clothes are NOT small. Great pack at an affordable price.

F1DA45EF-EA9E-4F56-8E2D-9390AA82CE8B.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back