• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack Protection

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
So as not to derail, I have moved some posts here from the thread about Ikea blue bags used to protect packs in planes.

Are they waterproof? Because if yes, then they would be useful for protecting a backpack from bed bugs. Last time I used plastic garbage bags, but an Ikea bag would be easier and perhaps a bit sturdier.

Actually, just looking at the picture closely I don't think they would be - too loosely woven.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are they waterproof? Because if yes, then they would be useful for protecting a backpack from bed bugs. Last time I used plastic garbage bags, but an Ikea bag would be easier and perhaps a bit sturdier.

Actually, just looking at the picture closely I don't think they would be - too loosely woven.

I imagine that these bags, like burglar alarms and firewalls, are meant to discourage all but the most serious intruders. Having to get into two bags takes more time, meaning more chances of being caught. Granted this is no guarantee that your bag will arrive at the same place, and at the same time as you do. There are somethings you just have to entrust to the gods.

This has been a concern of mine and trying not to give it any energy. So you're saying to put your back pack in a plastic garbage bag upon arrival for the night. Those little guys give me the willies. Are they really a problem?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This has been a concern of mine and trying not to give it any energy. So you're saying to put your back pack in a plastic garbage bag upon arrival for the night. Those little guys give me the willies. Are they really a problem?
Pamea, the bed bug issue is a controversial subject here. I have taken zero precautions on four Camino's and have had zero issues with bed bugs. I have stayed in a wide variety of places, some that looked a little sketchy to be honest and neither my wife and I ever had an issue with them. Honestly, I think we only talked to one person in our Four Camino's that had had an issue with them.
Many will chime in with all kinds of chemicals to spray your gear, clothes and bedding with. Personally, I like to avoid contact with chemicals of any kind...my own preference.
Truly, do not spend much time worrying about bed bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I will take this positive note ! I agree on the chemical component. Wow. 4 caminos. Obviously this is my first and trusting it won't be my last!

I imagine that these bags, like burglar alarms and firewalls, are meant to discourage all but the most serious intruders.

I'm not concerned about humans.

@Pamea many people do not have "an issue" with bedbugs because they live with them, or have no reaction, or are plain lucky.

I do not want to hyjack this thread (which is about protecting packs on planes) but cannot let you be misled.

@zrexer if you do a brief search of this forum you will find many members who have been bitten by bed bugs. So unless we are all liars, then yes, bedbugs are out there.

Perhaps your time has not yet come. I managed to walk from SJPDP to SDC four times, and twice from Le Puy, and once from Irun, before I was bitten. But since then I have been bitten and had reactions four times. Personally I now just regard them as a fact of life and take reasonable precautions. They certainly don't stop my enjoyment of walking the Camino.

Bedbugs are a fact of life since DDT was banned. Humans have managed to survive for thousands of years with bedbugs as companions and so it will continue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Guess I've been lucky, because in all my time on the Camino, I've been bitten once by bedbugs :cool:. T'was in April in Betanzos. Single room in a private, clean albergue. Fresh, clean linen too. Friends in other rooms had no problems, and the host was horrified. Luckily I always keep my pack off the bed, but I can assure you, that I gave it a thorough inspection, when I got a new room, and my entire pack spent a week in the deepfreezer, when I got back home.

I had no reaction to the bites, and was unable to find at least one of the bites (I squashed two blood-filled bugs).

Anyway, the trash bag idea is a solid and proven method of keeping the bugs out of your pack. Just take care not to drag the pack across the floor when it is in the bag, as the bags aren't that solid :oops:. Wrap a bit of string around the "neck" of the bag, and tie it like you would tie your shoelaces. And don't unpack your pack until you have inspected the underside of your mattress.

I use a slightly different method. Previously, I've some times used a trash bag as a bag liner (against rain), thus having the protection internally in the pack, but I've recently switched to carrying both my clothes and my sleeping gear in dry bags. Not many bugs that can get into those :). The weight penalty is marginal, and I find the few extra grams well worth the result - now I really have to screw up to get damp clothes and/or sleeping bag.

Annie has a great piece about bedbugs

Yes, only one of my bed-bug attacks was in an albergue. The others were in lovely, clean, hotels with no visible signs of infestation.

Good advice on dry bags, @Nekodemus . Just one point to add...
Luckily I always keep my pack off the bed,
We should keep our packs off the bed for reasons of cleanliness. However, bedbugs often hide elsewhere - cracks in the floor and walls. That's why you should protect your pack when it is on the floor at night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My fourth camino was when I first encountered bedbugs personally!
And it wasn't on the camino but in my lovely pension in Madrid, my last night in Spain.
There was absolutely no sign of them on the bed. When I turned the light on in the middle of the night and saw them, they were coming from the fake wood paneling on the wall!
Not sure how to protect oneself from that but will take all precautions next time!

My fourth camino was when I first encountered bedbugs personally!
And it wasn't on the camino but in my lovely pension in Madrid, my last night in Spain.
There was absolutely no sign of them on the bed. When I turned the light on in the middle of the night and saw them, they were coming from the fake wood paneling on the wall!
Not sure how to protect oneself from that but will take all precautions next time!
Wah, I thought those little bichos didn't climb? So why the recommendations to sleep in top bunks? Oh gosh what a dilema?!! Top bunks scare me almost as much as bedbugs.

So as not to derail, I have moved some posts here from the thread about Ikea blue bags used to protect packs in planes.

No, the weaving is fine - the problem is how to close them securely ;-) Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used the Z packs airline case
Can close zipper with a TSA approved lock
Easy to haul in airport
sturdy
Company says use it as a pack liner I sent it ahead to Ivar

Sorry, but I do not understand at all why would anyone spend another 3€ on IKEA bag to "protect" the backpack???

Protect from what??? If it would be stolen what difference does it make. I tell you - 3€ :)
Protect from fire? - The IKEA bags are most possible more flammable than your backpacks.
Protect from theft? - Why on earth would IKEA bag change the thief's decision???
Protect from torirng the straps??? - Well, you better buy better quality backpack.

Can someone please enlighten me? :)

Thanks!!!

Protect from what?
  • Torn straps on backpacks are not that unusual, as luggage handlers will grab hold of just about anything.
  • Straps and flaps and cords can get caught in conveyor belts and on anything that protudes.
  • Things falling out of your pack - especially the side pockets.
  • Bugs in albergues and pensions.
  • Etc.
In some airports (e.g. Madrid), I've had to sign a release to get my unwrapped (but secured) backpack checked in.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very grateful for health center in Arzua. In and out in less than two hours. Got treated for severe allergic reaction to something (all my bites???)--eyes almost swollen shut. Got meds around the corner. Then witnessed epic hailstorm. Tomorrow Santiago!!!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back