• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack rain cover needed with Poncho, or no?

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
Hi everyone,
Just got a frogs togs poncho. I'm walking Sarria to Santiago on June.
Do I really need a rain cover for my pack too?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,
Just got a frogs togs poncho. I'm walking Sarria to Santiago on June.
Do I really need a rain cover for my pack too?
I use an ultralight pack liner besides my rain poncho. The pack liner protects pack contents from creepy crawlies that could migrate from other packs or the ground. My ultralight pack cover isn’t for rain protection but protects the exterior of the pack when I set it on the ground or dirty floors. It also prevents the straps getting tangled with other packs if I sent it ahead, plus in this same scenario it prevents someone from picking the pack up by the wrong strap and damaging the pack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’ll go against everyone else so far. Yes, I always take both, and have always used both and been happy I have taken both. Pack rain cover is light and barely takes up any space. I find it’s perfect for light rain where you wouldn’t bother putting a poncho on and being hot and sweaty e.g in misty rain. And I’ll have it on all day on those days that look like it will probably rain or the on/off rain that is so common in Spain. It also buys you time while deciding, if you really want to or need to put the poncho on. In super heavy all day rain (e.g. 3 weeks straight in Nov 2019), having both on at the same time gave me peace of mind that I had the best chance of having dry stuff at the end of the day, waterproofing gives up on everything at some point.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another reason for a pack is it will help keep any bedbugs out of your stuff. I've used a 'poly bag' from the UPS store. Fits perfectly. Long lasting - I've used the same one for 4 Camino's.

If you're not sure what a poly bag is if you've received anything from Amazon in a small plastic bag that's a poly bag

Buen Camino

IMHO I'd add a lightweight pack liner. But I walk in October and have experienced Galician rain!
I’ll be walking in Mid- October.. are Galician rains THAT crazy? Is it a Volume of rain? Or crazy winds that make it seem worse, or is it really, really cold? I’m bring rain pants.. but now I’m wondering what other must haves items are needed? Much thanks. Buen Camini

I’ll be walking in Mid- October.. are Galician rains THAT crazy? Is it a Volume of rain? Or crazy winds that make it seem worse, or is it really, really cold? I’m bring rain pants.. but now I’m wondering what other must haves items are needed? Much thanks. Buen Camini
The rain I experienced was very heavy with no let up all day. It was windy but it was the sheer volume of water that was crazy. As I reached Tricastela the whole path became a stream so everyone's feet were soaked. (I wore non-waterproof trail runners so they did dry overnight.) You might not get rain or it could rain for several days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The rain I experienced was very heavy with no let up all day. It was windy but it was the sheer volume of water that was crazy. As I reached Tricastela the whole path became a stream so everyone's feet were soaked. (I wore non-waterproof trail runners so they did dry overnight.) You might not get rain or it could rain for several days.
Thank you… AND… you mentioned my next concern… wet feet/wet shoes Is there any way to avoid that? I guess there aren’t really any shoes that will keep your feet dry under heavy rain conditions… possibly Gators— I think I that’s what they are called… ppl use them fishing… but I’m not sure they are made for the rocky road—and would be destroyed in a matter of hours I would think? Are there any kinda if shoes covers.. or I guess.. just bring two pairs of shoes— is the best I can think of.. thank YOU for your experience 👍

I’ve never needed the pack cover when using the poncho, and like others, I use dry sacks (with window) to organize my stuff inside my backpack and keep it dry.

One really useful tip I gathered was for the sleeping bag compartment. If your sleeping bag is at the bottom, like with my Osprey pack, it might get damp from water soaking through the pack bottom when resting it in damp ground. BUT the turkey roasting oven bags sold at the grocery store are just the right size to slip your sleeping bag stuff sack into and protect it.

A pack cover is nice if you are walking in warmer weather because even a poncho can get hot and if its a warm rain you probably won't mind getting wet but still want you pack to be dry. I usually just take my Altus raincoat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve never needed the pack cover when using the poncho, and like others, I use dry sacks (with window) to organize my stuff inside my backpack and keep it dry.

One really useful tip I gathered was for the sleeping bag compartment. If your sleeping bag is at the bottom, like with my Osprey pack, it might get damp from water soaking through the pack bottom when resting it in damp ground. BUT the turkey roasting oven bags sold at the grocery store are just the right size to slip your sleeping bag stuff sack into and protect it.
Great info.

Thank you… AND… you mentioned my next concern… wet feet/wet shoes Is there any way to avoid that? I guess there aren’t really any shoes that will keep your feet dry under heavy rain conditions… possibly Gators— I think I that’s what they are called… ppl use them fishing… but I’m not sure they are made for the rocky road—and would be destroyed in a matter of hours I would think? Are there any kinda if shoes covers.. or I guess.. just bring two pairs of shoes— is the best I can think of.. thank YOU for your experience 👍
I used to be nervous of wet feet but I've found it to be far less problematic than I expected! Remember we are inclined to 'pack our fears', but the most important thing is to keep the weight of your pack down. It's very personal and if at all possible practice with your kit at home. My first Camino I had lightweight Goretex trail runners, very comfy but by lunchtime rather hot. So I would air my feet and changed my socks about 2/3 of the way for that day and I did okay. Then Altra brought out women's wide Lone Peak's (regular are too narrow for me) and I tried a pair. On a 20km walk my feet got very wet indeed but it wasn't uncomfortable. Once the rain stopped I did change into dry socks for the last section of the walk. They became a little damp from the shoes but not soaked. Lone Peak are designed to drain and the material breathes really well. No blisters, so I felt confident I would be happy with them on Camino. The one day (in 34) I had when it rained hard all day I didn't bother to change socks and it's not the most pleasant thing to have damp feet but I wasn't sloshing about because my shoes drained so well. I truly don't believe you should worry about wet feet in June. Comfy footwear that suits you and a pack that's not too heavy, you'll be fine.

I used to be nervous of wet feet but I've found it to be far less problematic than I expected! Remember we are inclined to 'pack our fears', but the most important thing is to keep the weight of your pack down. It's very personal and if at all possible practice with your kit at home. My first Camino I had lightweight Goretex trail runners, very comfy but by lunchtime rather hot. So I would air my feet and changed my socks about 2/3 of the way for that day and I did okay. Then Altra brought out women's wide Lone Peak's (regular are too narrow for me) and I tried a pair. On a 20km walk my feet got very wet indeed but it wasn't uncomfortable. Once the rain stopped I did change into dry socks for the last section of the walk. They became a little damp from the shoes but not soaked. Lone Peak are designed to drain and the material breathes really well. No blisters, so I felt confident I would be happy with them on Camino. The one day (in 34) I had when it rained hard all day I didn't bother to change socks and it's not the most pleasant thing to have damp feet but I wasn't sloshing about because my shoes drained so well. I truly don't believe you should worry about wet feet in June. Comfy footwear that suits you and a pack that's not too heavy, you'll be fine.
Good ideas there… I’ll check out your shoes… I’m traveling in October.. Rainy season 🤷🏻‍♀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good ideas there… I’ll check out your shoes…
My Caminos were in October. It's usually drier than Spring. In 2018 there was a heatwave with temperatures in the mid 30's C in north Portugal. Heat was my biggest fear so I chose October. I learnt how to cope with the heat which really surprised me. Something else I no longer worry about in advance. 😅 Not that I'd walk in summer! Good luck with your preparations, it's all part of your Camino journey.

It rains. That's why it's green. Not every day but yes, often. October and November aren't that cold but yes, it rains. Often. You might be lucky.

That's because it's not a sleeping bag compartment. It's for wet stuff and shoes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pack rain covers are nylon and not really even waterproof. Use a pack liner inside. Poncho will help too. Ditch the rain cover.
Pack covers are usually coated on the inside with poly urethane (PU). Naturally, you can detatch your cover before taking off and make further rainproof using textile product.
It has never failed with my Osprey.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.