• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack review and a last minute question..

ifranz

Time of past OR future Camino
Jacobsweg 2013, Camino Frances 2015
First I’d like to thank this wonderful community! I’ve asked a hundred questions by searching this forum and found wonderful and heartfelt advice every time. I haven't posted much, but I’ve been here daily for months reading and learning!

I’ll be leaving in 10 days on June 19th, and everything is in place. Now I’m playing the waiting game and dealing with excitement, anticipation, and a little paranoia. Every time I bump my shoe against something I think I’ve broken a toe!

Question 1) I’d like to request a pack review. I’ve spent a lot of time modifying my pack for that Camino , and I would appreciate feedback from veteran pilgrims:

http://mrfitzer.com/camino/?page_id=381

Question 2) I’m traveling from Bayonne to St. Jean on June 20th. I’m unable to purchase tickets online, or see a schedule. Should this be a concern? I have a bunk reserved at Orission that evening and I want to make sure I get there by dinner!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Derek, your list looks pretty good. I don't see a drying towel. (You will take a shower occasionally :D, take a microfiber towel large enough to wrap around you to get there and back)
Half a roll of toilet paper and a pack of small disposable plastic bags (used by dog-owners) occasionally can be more important than other things such as a sleeping pad (Unless you plan to sleep open-air, you don't need one)
For myself, I prefer only one light rain/wind-jacket, no Poncho. Instead I was glad even in summer to have a light sweater with me. As for the electronics, my iPhone 5 (later 6) replaced my Coolpix P300, no noticeable difference in quality; the apps worked as flashlight, guide books, distance counter, map, I typed a daily blog (but would take a light, foldable keyboard next time), using iCloud also for my pics, (no need for a flash-card). But that's me, I avoid as many small gadgetry and stuff as possible. Lost my Army-knife the second day, never missed it......hehe, me being a Swiss! Btw: A pair of swimming trunks (replacing a pair of briefs) was god-sent in hot summer days when passing a few inviting pools along the way and occasionally as night-wear.
Most of all, have a fantastic buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Pano - I have a 2'x3' chamois in my pack. It's worked really well for me on backpacking trips, but it's nothing I could use wrap around myself. I assumed that I would be changing in a shower stall, whats the usual routing for showering / changing clothes on the Camino?

I never thought about swimming on the Camino! I'm glad I asked for feedback! Thanks !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't see long sleeve Ts or shirts. Saves sunscreen (and more comfortable in sunny and hot weather)

There is a 18:06-19:31 Bayonne->SJPP for 10+ euros. Book online at voyages-sncf.com

Pano - I have a 2'x3' chamois in my pack. It's worked really well for me on backpacking trips, but it's nothing I could use wrap around myself. I assumed that I would be changing in a shower stall, whats the usual routing for showering / changing clothes on the Camino?
I never thought about swimming on the Camino! I'm glad I asked for feedback! Thanks !
More often than not, you'll find the showers and the changing facilities to be very cramped, small and/or many people, difficult to hang up your clothes because of lacking hooks etc. I mostly just changed at the bedside, wrapped that towel around and walked over to the showers. (Never forget to take your valuables in a waterproof zip bag along with you!!!) The large microfibre towel also served me as an additional cover in cool nights, as a pillow-cover, etc.
As for the swimming, there are two great places coming to mind: Albergue Santiago Apostol in Puenta la Reina (see picture) and the large public pool and a lovely shady garden in a small village –I forgot the name– between Villatuerta and Los Arcos (walking the left route after the wine fountain); also took some dips in water reservoirs and rivers. Lastly, I admit of having pampered myself in some nice hotels with pools on the way and finally, a very brief jump into the icy-cold atlantic ocean in Finisterre.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed that I would be changing in a shower stall, whats the usual routing for showering / changing clothes on the Camino?
!
ifranz
something I have noticed on my walks which helps a little with managing your gear whilst in shower is : an S shaped hook. Used on shower door or anywhere, to give yourself somewhere to hang your bag /gear etc as sometimes, there is nothing -
Buen Camino
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First I’d like to thank this wonderful community! I’ve asked a hundred questions by searching this forum and found wonderful and heartfelt advice every time. I haven't posted much, but I’ve been here daily for months reading and learning!

I’ll be leaving in 10 days on June 19th, and everything is in place. Now I’m playing the waiting game and dealing with excitement, anticipation, and a little paranoia. Every time I bump my shoe against something I think I’ve broken a toe!

Question 1) I’d like to request a pack review. I’ve spent a lot of time modifying my pack for that Camino , and I would appreciate feedback from veteran pilgrims:

http://mrfitzer.com/camino/?page_id=381

Question 2) I’m traveling from Bayonne to St. Jean on June 20th. I’m unable to purchase tickets online, or see a schedule. Should this be a concern? I have a bunk reserved at Orission that evening and I want to make sure I get there by dinner!
Ditch the scotch tape and get a roll of backpackers duck tape. Ditch the 3mm thread and the 3mm nylon. Get a normal size tooth floss instead. both are multi functional.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back