• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack size and route selection

mgflorida

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for two weeks in May 2023!
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I am currently studying abroad in Madrid for the semester and I am hoping to spend two weeks on one of the Camino routes (still undecided which one) when classes get out the last weekend of April. I backpack quite a bit back in the US, but only have a 55L pack. I know that is bigger than would be ideal for the Camino, but do you think it would be worth it for me to spend the money on a new, smaller pack?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you can resist the temptation to fill up the extra space with unnecessary gear then there's no particular reason not to use a 55L pack. If it fits well then it might be a good choice. If you are planning to bring your pack as cabin baggage do check that the dimensions are within your airline's size limits.

PS: Apologies. I see you are already in Spain. Ignore the part about cabin baggage size limits unless you plan to fly internally within Spain. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I am currently studying abroad in Madrid for the semester and I am hoping to spend two weeks on one of the Camino routes (still undecided which one) when classes get out the last weekend of April. I backpack quite a bit back in the US, but only have a 55L pack. I know that is bigger than would be ideal for the Camino, but do you think it would be worth it for me to spend the money on a new, smaller pack?
Your backpack is perfectly fine. Especially since April can be rainy and cool. Warm clothes and rain gear can be bulky! Might I suggest the Primitivo as your route? It’s quite lovely and since you are an experienced hiker, you might like the challenge!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ordinarily, 55 liters is on the overly large rucksack size of the Camino rucksack continuum. But, if you have it and it is comfortable to wear for 6-8 hours daily, use it.

Packing for two-weeks on a Camino is near-identical to packing for a month or more. The 55 liters will not be filled with the required kit. However, as you process along your Camino route RESIST the temptation to acquire stuff, souvenirs, more things you do not need.

I like to state that empty volume in a rucksack has negative pressure - it sucks. The normal tendency is to think - “hey, I have plenty of space - no problem.” By the end of your Camino you are a burro carrying way too much.

Just FYI, and FWIW, the “sweet spot” for a man’s rucksack seems to be somewhere around 35-40 liters. For women, it might be 30 - 35 liters, as they typically have smaller clothing. But everyone is unique.

Personally, I started with a 48 liter bag, then changed to the same model In a 38 liter size - to reduce the “just in case” stuff I carried on by my first few Caminos. I am now trying to get it down to 30-32 liters, plus a “belly bag” that attaches to the front of my rucksack harness to balance the overall weight.

Volume tends to equal weight. Weight is the enemy when you are walking long distances.

Hope this helps,

Tom

For my first camino I had a 70 liter because I anticipated backpacking in the Pyrenees afterward. It was full and heavy but well designed and so comfortable. For my second camino I used my larger size daypack, 25 liters.

Now that you see where I'm coming from you'll understand my recommendation for you. If you will get a lot of later use for a larger size daypack buy about a 35 liter one. Otherwise, to save money, use the one you have.

My first camino, I walked with a 34L pack, and the second time went up to a 40L. I walked in the spring and fall and needed warmer clothes (to layer) and a sleeping bag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Shoes, backpacks and routes! These must be the 3 top requests from newcomers! I was a newbie last year and unaware of Ivars Camino forum. This is my experience.
Shoes: I have always worn Saucony for the grumpy soles, but when I went to my local footwear shop the Brooks had a better sole than the Sauconys. I tried Merrill hiking shoes, but they did not make the cut in pre-Camino testing. I also took a pair of Ecco sandals which I preferred to the Brooks.
Backpacks: I was going to take my sister’s 44 liter backpack until my hiking partner told me she was using a 22 liter bag weighing in at less than 15 lbs when packed with all her necessities. I was not going to be outdone, so I selected the Osprey Talon 22 liter backpack, augmented by a small string bag for water, snacks and foot ointment!
Route: it was going to be Francés from day one. If you have only a couple weeks, I have to refer you to the forum. In my reading, the Invierno is most appealing. Avoid Sarria to Compostela if you plan to walk during July-Sep due to crowds. Outside the high season it is actually not bad. My favorite sections on Francés- well any 10-day section would be awesome.
How lucky to study abroad in Spain. Don’t miss out on all the other gems available!

Hi mgflorida on my first camino from Konstanz to SdC and Porto (3000km) I started with Mammut Lithium Speed 15L the next camino I increased the backpack size up to 20L because it had a little bit more space. But I never carry more weight as 6300g, this includes one Liter water. I like to travel light. Your me find my packing lists on my homepage.

No, do not spend money on a new backpack if that one fits and performs well for you. The idea that one must enter into the "I have the smallest backpack contest" is something I only see in Camino discussions.

If you were only needing a Camino backpack, then it makes sense to get a backpack sized only for a camino while allowing you to pack without needing to squeeze everything tight or dangle anything off the back.

I use a 60 Liter Gossamer Gear Silverback which was discontinued two years ago, but is very similar to the current Gorilla 50. It weighs 1.8 pounds/596 grams, and works great for wilderness backpacking and Camino. I have also used the ULA Circuit, which is heavier than the Gossamer Gear Gorilla 50 or Gorilla 40 or the Mariposa 60 liter.

When my wife, who does not backpack, went on Camino with me, among the 11 backpack candidates I fitted her to, she choose a 38 liter Gregory Jade model. That size worked well for her, but would be too small a capacity for a multi-week backpacking trip.

If your backpack is comfortable, use it and save the money.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It depends on how much your 55L backpack weighs. It could be anything from 2 lbs to 8 lbs.
But since you went backpacking with it, I suspect it is lighter

I concur. One hike? Pack light and crank it down.

If I were you and accustomed to hiking I would take the train to Leon. Hike to Oviedo on the Salvador, hang a left at Oviedo and pick up the Primitivo to Santiago. Stellar. If you are strong you can do it in 2 weeks. $0.02

do you think it would be worth it for me to spend the money on a new, smaller pack?
If it fits well then it might be a good choice
our backpack is perfectly fine
if you have it and it is comfortable to wear for 6-8 hours daily, use it.
to save money, use the one you have
If your backpack is comfortable, use it and save the money

@mgflorida, my analysis (supported by the answers above) is to reply NO to your question.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I’ve walked 5 Caminos and I’d definitely recommend getting a pack that is the size you need (not bigger) I used this one on my last Camino and I found it excellent. The pockets on the hip straps are super useful. It is also size adjustable.

Hi mgflorida on my first camino from Konstanz to SdC and Porto (3000km) I started with Mammut Lithium Speed 15L the next camino I increased the backpack size up to 20L because it had a little bit more space. But I never carry more weight as 6300g, this includes one Liter water. I like to travel light. Your me find my packing lists on my homepage.
Anyone who weighs his money is doing the job properly!

If the pack fits; use it - just resist the temptation to fill it with anything you don’t need.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Camino in 2001 at the end of a year studying in Spain. I actually borrowed someone's backpack by placing an ad somewhere asking if anyone had one I could borrow. You might be able to do that somehow, or ask if there are any donated ones at the Amigos del Camino office in Madrid, which used to be on one of those little streets running off Plaza del Sol, but I don't know if it's still there.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.