• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack thieves fall into Police trap

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
La Voz de Galicia reports that a couple of thieves were caught in a trap. They did not know thatwhen they stole two pilgrim's packs in the hostel of Pontevedra that they would be arrested hours later by very unprofessional an oversight . Two men (neighbours) aged 44 and 57 years stole two backpacks in Pontevedra from a couple of pilgrims. Inside the packs were several items of clothing, wallet, camera, pilgrim credentials and a mobile phone.
When the pilgrim noticed the disappearance of his luggage he phoned the stolen mobile. A kind of negotiation between victim and thief was settled with an agreement. They agreed to stay in the vicinity of Pedrayo Otero Street to do some kind of trade and return the phone in exchange for money. The trap was set.
The pilgrims told the police who mounted a device in the vicinity of the train station. with unmarked police vehicles in the area in case the thieves planned to flee.
As soon as there was contact between the victim and one of the authors of the theft, an officer of the National Police in civilian clothes identified himself and proceeded to arrest of the individual. The officers asked for the rest of the luggage, which the prisoner said were stored on the floor of a friend. The police, the thief and the victim travelled to the address where the luggage was guarded and watched as his buddy came down to the door with the two backpacks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never heard of pilgrims stealing other pilgrims backpacks so I'm not surprised that the thieves were locals. Who would want to carry another person's pack when you have your own to lug around every day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hope that they took these two crooks off the street at least for a little while.....

Hope that they took these two crooks off the street at least for a little while.....[/quote

I don´t think so as what has been robbed was not of great monetary value. They are back on the for sure.

Cases like these just remind us all to keep an eye on our stuff at all times.

Buen Camino!

So glad they caught them! I've heard the people of Spain are in a tough financial crisis right now and I'm sure they must feel the pilgrims must be "rich" in comparison and that there is easy money to be had. Bad and sad :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So glad they caught them! I've heard the people of Spain are in a tough financial crisis right now and I'm sure they must feel the pilgrims must be "rich" in comparison and that there is easy money to be had. Bad and sad :(
Yes, tough situation. Not sure that deserves stealing though....

Yes, tough situation. Not sure that deserves stealing though....

Yes it does come across that I'm justifying them when I read back my post. Sorry, didn't intend that. Just meant that tough times can bring out the worst in people. Or maybe they would have done it anyway. But it is still good that they were caught and that the pilgrims got they're packs back.

Whilst working in the pilgrim office I met a young man whose pack was stolen from the albergue at Negreira. He told me that the same night a woman's boots were stolen.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes it does come across that I'm justifying them when I read back my post. Sorry, didn't intend that. Just meant that tough times can bring out the worst in people. Or maybe they would have done it anyway. But it is still good that they were caught and that the pilgrims got they're packs back.
Petty rough to lose your pack while on the Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.