• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack transport on the Camino del Norte

Leigh Lorayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
I walked the CAMINO Frances last year and for part of the way had some of my gear transported ahead. The transportation system was well established. My husband and I are seniors beginning the Norte in a few weeks. We may want to send some of our pack weight ahead. Is the system on the Norte as good as it was on the Camino Frances? Are there some company names we should know to call?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the CAMINO Frances last year and for part of the way had some of my gear transported ahead. The transportation system was well established. My husband and I are seniors beginning the Norte in a few weeks. We may want to send some of our pack weight ahead. Is the system on the Norte as good as it was on the Camino Frances? Are there some company names we should know to call?

Leigh - I have had this same concern. I leave for the Norte in two weeks and will start from Bilbao on Sept 9. On the Frances and the Portuguese routes, I used the very reliable baggage transport on & off. I have only found a couple of contacts for baggage transport from the forum here & from googling - from Bilbao to Llanes transmikel@hotmail.es and from Irun to Santander the Peregrine Express 0034644589217. I think it will be more expensive than on the Frances. I am hoping there will be suggestions at the accommodations. However, in the event that I do end up having to carry, I am trying to pack light and plan shorter distances. I will follow this thread in case someone has suggestions. Buen Camino, Kathi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
According to the Correos webpage, the backpack transport on the Norte is available only starting from Gijon/Aviles, which means the last 300 km of del Norte. It is also not a year-round service:
http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transporte-mochilas.php
I believe there are some other companies throughout the Basque Country and Cantabria, but the service will be probably more expensive than on the Frances, as the number of people on the Norte is just a small fraction of the crowds on Frances, and even smaller fraction of them ships their backpacks ahead. For example the Peregrine Express, mentioned by khiker9 above, require minimum of 4 packs to operate (that's what their webpage says).

We used the post office in the past (rain, heat or taking a break). Sometimes we just sent a bag on ahead and sometimes our backpacks also. It was inexpensive and quite efficient on two different 'Ways' . We did not walk El Norte, however, their website says they do provide transport on the El Norte. I have used other transport, but from now on will use Correos.

http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/index_en.php

Bien Camino

Thank you so much for your helpful responses. I do hope I can find some transport. That first day looks a little daunting!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am also walking part of the camino de norte ( Bilbao to Santander) and wish to use a backpack courier service. Thanks for the information.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back