• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

Pack Weight Calculator Resource 2022-03-07

No permission to download
Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
Peregrina 2013 submitted a new resource:

Pack Weight Calculator Resource - Pack Weight Auto Calculator Spreadsheet

Erik the Black created a spreadsheet years ago that I always used for calculating my pack's weight. Since the first version, he has improved and changed it over the years to make it even better. My hope is that this might help some of you when you're getting ready for your Camino.

Read more about this resource...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dang! When I went to the download option and was re-routed, i landed, finally at a “404”.

:(

Alas.

I got a notice saying I needed to request access using the (non-Camino-related) email address I use to sign into my main Google account. Maybe @Peregrina 2013 can change the access permission to public in Google Sheets?

(In the meantime, there are also pack weight calculator websites like LighterPack and the new HikerHerd.com - but since I can never get enough of this sort of thing I'd love to check out the resource @Peregrina 2013 posted as well!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got a notice saying I needed to request access using the (non-Camino-related) email address I use to sign into my main Google account. Maybe @Peregrina 2013 can change the access permission to public in Google Sheets?

(In the meantime, there are also pack weight calculator websites like LighterPack and the new HikerHerd.com - but since I can never get enough of this sort of thing I'd love to check out the resource @Peregrina 2013 posted as well!)
Thanks... I was re-routed to use my Google account.... as an automatic feature...
At any rate, I'm only a smidge curious about such things as I have my contents except for travel documents and COV tests packed already.
Below: toiletry and first aid kit, clothing, technical kit (cables, device charger etc).

Attachments

• 2E99938B-3933-4733-8F59-F58D144A87F5_1_105_c.jpeg
    2E99938B-3933-4733-8F59-F58D144A87F5_1_105_c.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 8
It tells me I need to request access. Oh well. I personally use the webpage "lighterpack.com" and you can create lists and add all your items there. Then it breaks down where the weight is coming from. You can also identify items as being "worn" or as "consumable". So... you put EVERYTHING you are bringing on the Camino, but it will exclude worn items and consumable from the "base weight". You can select measurements in pounds, ounces, kg, and grams. I enter everything in grams for the most accurate total weights. You can use your account to make multiple lists. For example, I have 3 Pacific Crest Trail lists (1 for me and 1 for my son and 1 for my daughter) and 2 Camino lists (myself and my daughter).

Below: toiletry and first aid kit, clothing, technical kit (cables, device charger etc).

Admirably compact! I have those exact same Osprey dry bags, in the same colors ... wouldn't pack my kit without them. (I'll mention they only weigh ca. 40g each but won't discuss further, lest this conversation strays into the "dry bag vs. trash compactor liner" debate ... ) ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Admirably compact! I have those exact same Osprey dry bags, in the same colors ... wouldn't pack my kit without them. (I'll mention they only weigh ca. 40g each but won't discuss further, lest this conversation strays into the "dry bag vs. trash compactor liner" debate ... ) ;)
Yes, I acquired these on my second camino along with an Osprey Kyte upgraded model with the side-zipper for access.
They make everything so much easier. Different colours tell me at a glance which one I want to grab, and I never end up having to unload *everything* just to find that pair of socks... or that wee t-shirt that has fallen to the farthest corner.
I like them, and Ive been known to use some as "tumble wash" for hand washing of clothes.... works a charm, and when I am finished, I turn the bag inside out to dry on the line with the clothes.

My apologies. I didn't realize that I was able to get in because I have a google account. Here is the link to Erik the Black's webpage and the process on how to access the spreadsheet:

https://blackwoodspress.com/blog/2755/backpacking-gear-planner-2/

Create Your Own Backpacking Gear List With My Custom Google Spreadsheet​

ico-comment.png
139 COMMENTS

Pin134
Share552
Tweet
Email
686SHARES
Gear-Calculator-Spreadsheet.jpg

The new cloud-based version of my Gear Calculator Spreadsheet is available now! You can use this free tool to design your own custom backpacking and hiking gear list, automatically calculate weight and costs and see how different gear will affect your pack weight and budget.
The new version is designed to work with Google Sheets, so you no longer need Excel or any special software (and it’s even easier to use.) Here’s how to get your copy of my spreadsheet and start creating your own custom gear list…

Step 1: GET YOUR COPY OF THE SPREADSHEET​

The new spreadsheet is designed to work with Google Sheets, a free cloud-based program. You will need a Google Account to use the spreadsheet. Click the link below (you may have to log in to Google first), then follow the prompt to to copy the file. The spreadsheet will be copied to your Google Drive, where you you can use it to design your own custom gear list.
CLICK HERE TO COPY THE SPREADSHEET TO YOUR GOOGLE DRIVE
instructions01.png

Step 2: FILL IN YOUR GEAR DATA​

The spreadsheet comes pre-filled with the most common types of backpacking gear items, divided into seven categories. All you have to do is enter a description for each of the items you plan to use, along with it’s weight and price. The spreadsheet does the rest automatically, calculating the total weight for each item along with weight/cost subtotals for each category.
instructions02.png

Step 3: ANALYZE YOUR GEAR LIST​

As you enter data, the spreadsheet will generate a summary of the weight and cost of each category, your base weight, full pack weight and skin-out weight, and pie charts showing the relative impact of each of the seven categories. Use this data to evaluate what you are currently packing and see how changes will affect the overall weight and cost of your gear.
instructions03.png

Step 4: CUSTOMIZE YOUR GEAR LIST​

There are several ways you can customize the spreadsheet to your own specifications. To the left of each item is a drop-down menu containing a check and an X. The check activates an item. The X deactivates an item and removes it from all calculations (without requiring you to delete the data, so you can easily turn it back on later.) If you are not satisfied with the pre-filled item subcategories, you can rename them to whatever you like. At the bottom of each category are three blank rows (labeled “custom”), which you can use to add additional items.
instructions04.png

Step 5: SAVE AND PRINT YOUR GEAR LIST​

As you work, your gear list will be automatically saved to your Google Drive every time you make a modification, and you will be able to access it from all of your web-connected devices. When it’s time to go gear shopping, or create a pre-hike packing checklist, click the Print icon to make a hard copy. In portrait mode, the entire list will print on three 8.5×11 letter-size pages.
instructions05.png

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back