• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack weight question

So it was one layer of down quilt inside the liner, instead of 2? Am I following you right?
Bear in mind Trecile walked n August and September - both considerably warmer months than March.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did a test of my pack weight a few weeks ago. I took it to the vet's office where they kindly weighed it for me as my home scale doesn't seem to want to register anything under 35 lbs.

10% of my ideal body weight is 18 lbs (I'm 6 ft tall).

It came it at 19 lbs..including 1.5 liters of water.

I'm traveling in March...I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.

I also read in a book (and once here buried in a thread I can no longer find) that up to 15% is more reasonable for a winter camino...middle of March being right on the edge of winter.

I've since bought and traded a few items. I added one of those Costco down quilts to my liner...another lb...and replaced the stupid fleece I hate with one that fits better (and probably weighs a bit more), and I am swapping out one of my hiking pants for a macabi skirt which has not yet arrived so idk what it weighs. I also swapped out my microfiber towel for a pare0 that weighs almost nothing.

I'll take it to the Vet's again, but if I'm *close to the 10% mark, am I doing well since it is end of winter? Or do I need to start tossing stuff and get it lower than 18-20 lbs?
What's most important is how it feels to you at distance. Have you trained with your pack at some significant distance with the weight you're targeting? I suggest taking a twelve-mile hike with your pack fully loaded to see how it feels to you. You're going to be walking that distance day in and day out on the Camino. I view the 10% target as more of a rough guideline than a firm rule. Every ounce does count though. It pays to get really anal about how much things weigh and to find ways to lighten the load. Over the 800 km CF you're likely to walk over a million steps. A few ounces is noticeable over that distance. During one stretch of my Camino I added an extra fleece to my pack that I picked up in Burgos. My pack weighed 22 pounds when I started. I'm guessing the fleece weighed 8 ounces. I definitely noticed that additional weight. As soon as I could get rid of the fleece by giving it to someone else I did.

I bought a pack scale that I could use at home. I weighed everything, and I mean everything. I can still tell you how much the batteries for my camera weigh (3 ounces). I picked an upper target of 22 pounds for my pack weight and stuck to it firmly. That 22 pounds was just under the 10% rule of thumb. It would have been easy for me to allow myself to edge upward above that target. I'm glad I didn't.

Hi Eve,
I just picked up on something I missed earlier - that your camino is just 11-12 days. Clothing-wise (and maybe some toiletries, etc) you truly need less than you are taking.

The macabi will be more than adequate for a bottom on a short camino. It can be worn hiking and evenings for 12 days without washing. And even if you wanted to give it a rinse and a wring before bed halfway through, it will dry very quickly. And merino is naturally very smell resistant.

1 macabi (dress it up with lightweight scarf/belt in evening)
1 wear/1 spare of bra, undies, socks
1 fleece, buff, gloves
Rain jacket + packcover (and plastic bag for rain kilt)
1 base layer pants/leggings (to hike in)
Maybe 2nd base layer leggings OR lightweight sleep bottoms
2 tech/merino long-sleeve shirts (2 instead of 1 only because of colder/wetter March)
2 tech/merino short-sleeve shirts
(All shirts also serve as evening/sleep wear in rotation)

That's just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. Take whatever you wish to on your camino. I would just suggest you evaluate every ounce with the question, "Does it serve an absolute necessity and/or bring me joy? Or is it a 'what-if', out of fear?" Twelve days is not a lot of time to be able to learn the hard way and make suitable adjustments, especially if you don't have any experience and are aiming for an average of 25 km/day out of the gate.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'm going to think on this some more. I'll probably come back with a revised list in a couple of weeks. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would ditch one of the long sleeve tops. You don't need more than 2 - 3 tops, and you have a fleece to keep you warm. Since you like the peasant tops, I would take the long sleeve merino top, the short sleeve merino top and your peasant top to make you feel pretty :). The merino are good because they don't get stinky as quickly as the synthetics, so you don't have to wash them as often.

And definitely just bring the shampoo to wash everything.

I walked from Astorga to Santiago in 9 days, but I had been walking since St Jean, so was used to longer distances by that time. But I think that you should be fine with your 12 days.

I would ditch one of the long sleeve tops. You don't need more than 2 - 3 tops, and you have a fleece to keep you warm. Since you like the peasant tops, I would take the long sleeve merino top, the short sleeve merino top and your peasant top to make you feel pretty :). The merino are good because they don't get stinky as quickly as the synthetics, so you don't have to wash them as often.

And definitely just bring the shampoo to wash everything.

I walked from Astorga to Santiago in 9 days, but I had been walking since St Jean, so was used to longer distances by that time. But I think that you should be fine with your 12 days.

I'll think about that. I like the idea of swapping one of the tops for the peasant top. :) I think I need to see this skirt. And then try to get out there and hike in it.

@tomnorth the main problem I am having is that with the size of my family, I cannot find 4-5 hours to go on very long hikes. This week alone, 4 kids have been sick on and off with a stomach bug...with 2 more to go, realistically. And I would still have to come home and be a full time mom after that 4-5 hours. It is also about 20 degrees and snowing with ice on the ground at the moment. I've been doing workouts indoor targeting shoulders and legs, to compensate. I know it isn't much. It is what it is.

Bear in mind Trecile walked n August and September - both considerably warmer months than March.
That's true. The coldest weather I had was between Rabanal del Camino to Triacastela. It was around 40F/4C with cold wind and some rain during the day. It was quite cold in O Cebreiro. And sweltering heat at the beginning of my Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One skirt plus base layer total? What if it tears or something?
gotta let go of those "what if's"....
The Camino Frances is neither a wilderness hike, nor a walk through a third world country devoid of modern conveniences. If you forget something, or need something extra while on the Camino, just buy it.
I quickly realized that if one were to start their Camino in any of the bigger towns/cities such as SJPdP, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Sarria, etc, one could show up in one's underwear, totally devoid of any clothing or equipment needed for walking the Camino, and then step into an outdoor store and exit an short while later, fully dressed and equipped and literally start walking the Way.

Hmmm...if I plan on wearing my fleece in a restaurant I won't feel quite so uncomfortable in a tight fitting merino shirt. Is it hot in restaurants there like it is here?
The restaurants in Spain are like the restaurants anywhere else. They're all different. :D Inside dining. Outside dining, etc.
and just about all the restaurants, bars and cafes geared toward pilgrims will have free wi-fi so that you can read, etc.

A new one? One a 12 days Camino? Not very likely and if it does - emergency repair with Leukotape until you get your hands on needle and thread. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not going without my kindle, y'all. I have all these lovely images in my head of reading under a tree when I rest. And my camino guide is on kindle too. I am too old to read for enjoyment on my phone. :p

Too right! Look, stop worrying. Take what you NEED. Relax. It's just a walk.

This has been really helpful, y'all. I am little less scared of not having what I'll need. And a little less scared that I won't make it to the end. I'll revise my pack list over the next couple of weeks. And keep watching for breaks in the weather to walk. And keep doing what I can to work out at home. And I'm taking your words for it, that it'll all work out! :D

Eve, the fact of the matter is that everyone is a little nervous on their first Camino! Every single question that you have posed has been on the mind of every first time walker ( I think that about includes everyone ). I really think the biggest one on everyone s mind is "Can I do it?" or some variation on that. As long as you don't get injured or suffer really bad blisters, you will do like most of us.......Do what you came to do ..and enjoy it!!
A pound here or there won't be the difference....and I guarantee that you will settle into your comfort zone as you go. If that means chucking something, you will and if you find that you are missing something, you will find plenty of places to gear up!
BTW, like you, I really enjoy the solitude (my own company) and though I have walked in June, August and September, I have never felt that anything more than a smiling "buenos Dias" or "Buen Camino" was required or demanded on the trail.
You have received plenty of thoughtful advice, just pick what "feels" right for you.
Absolutely, the most enjoyable experience of my life........and it will be yours too

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone pretty much expresses a great confidence in the ability to finish on forums and fb groups. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way. Thanks for the encouragement @Brendan Dawson.

And I'm glad to hear a solitary Camino is still a possibility. There's a lot of emphasis on the community aspect. I don't want to be the grump like Sheen in The Way, and I look forward to chatting with people in the evenings. But during the day I'm hoping for quiet overall. That said, day one I'm already planning on walking with a fellow forum member here and she's my Camino angel. I'd be lost without her help. <3

I'm walking from mid April to last part of May so I am preparing for warmer temps. Also not taking anything else. No other hiking pants and no other Macabi.
I walked my second Camino starting April 14. It was very cold until mid-May. We walked in a Blizzard to Cruz de Fero on May 12th. While the weather is unpredictable I wouldn't count on warm weather and do count on plenty of rain. You can always leave extra layers behind.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 6
So it was one layer of down quilt inside the liner, instead of 2? Am I following you right?
Similarly, I had my Costco down blanket cut and sewn to one side of my silk liner. It saved on weight and was warm. Many of the albergues have blankets to go on top and I would sleep in my fleece when it was cold. I walked my last Camino starting April 14 and it was cold for most of the Camino. I prefer cold over hot, but when the high approached 50 the mornings were closer to freezing and 50 can feel a lot colder in the rain and wind.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Similarly, I had my Costco down blanket cut and sewn to one side of my silk liner. It saved on weight and was warm. Many of the albergues have blankets to go on top and I would sleep in my fleece when it was cold. I walked my last Camino starting April 14 and it was cold for most of the Camino. I prefer cold over hot, but when the high approached 50 the mornings were closer to freezing and 50 can feel a lot colder in the rain and wind.
That's exactly what I am planning on doing. I have purchased some very nice lightweight silk, and I'm going to make my own hybrid silk liner down sleeping bag.

I'd go ahead with what you've picked because if it does get too heavy you can always have it shipped to your destination on that day. Cost is about 4 - 5 Euro so will not break the budget I'm assuming?

If you feel that you can easily manage the weight then go for it that day.

If you do have your big bag shipped forward you should also make sure you have a small daypack for water and other essentials that you carry with you. One the days you do carry your large bag I suggest you carry the small on across your chest so you can easily access water bottles, etc.

Can I see your packing list? I'm wondering if I should use a lush bar or something to cut some weight, too. I've got two bottles of sea to summit...one that is shampoo/conditioner and one that is body/clothes wash.

I used bar soap for my hair, body, and clothes. Worked well and very light.

€60,-
I would get rid of the quilt. Here's why: Lots of the hostels will have blankets for you to use and if you are traveling early in the year you'll probably be able to grab as many as you want. You can also sleep in your clothes if you need to. Have done that many times in the past and it allows you to start REALLY early in the morning. :)

I walked my second Camino starting April 14. It was very cold until mid-May. We walked in a Blizzard to Cruz de Fero on May 12th. While the weather is unpredictable I wouldn't count on warm weather and do count on plenty of rain. You can always leave extra layers behind.

Wow Susan!!! Thanks for the warning. It is a beautiful picture, but a scene I would hate to walk upon unprepared. I will have my base layers and rain pants, as well as long poncho to help. That looks like one of those days that it's "wear everything". @TerryS check this out. May 12, Whose idea was a spring Camino anyway !? :eek::oops::)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would get rid of the quilt. Here's why: Lots of the hostels will have blankets for you to use and if you are traveling early in the year you'll probably be able to grab as many as you want. You can also sleep in your clothes if you need to. Have done that many times in the past and it allows you to start REALLY early in the morning. :)

I have waivered back and forth on my quilt as it does fit into that dreaded "might need" category, but in true pilgrim fashion (pun intended), I have approved mine under the "dual use principle". By the time we get to Burgos my grand daughter will have completed her online university work and we will be sending her laptop ahead. How nice it will be to have that quilt to wrap it in for protection!! Not sure if this is solid thinking or just a handy rationalization, but so far it's working.

I did a test of my pack weight a few weeks ago. I took it to the vet's office where they kindly weighed it for me as my home scale doesn't seem to want to register anything under 35 lbs.

I'm traveling in March...I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.

I also read in a book (and once here buried in a thread I can no longer find) that up to 15% is more reasonable for a winter camino...middle of March being right on the edge of winter.

I've since bought and traded a few items. I added one of those Costco down quilts to my liner...another lb...and replaced the stupid fleece I hate with one that fits better (and probably weighs a bit more), and I am swapping out one of my hiking pants for a macabi skirt which has not yet arrived so idk what it weighs. I also swapped out my microfiber towel for a pare0 that weighs almost nothing.

I'll take it to the Vet's again, but if I'm *close to the 10% mark, am I doing well since it is end of winter? Or do I need to start tossing stuff and get it lower than 18-20 lbs?
Keep an eye on your boot weight too.
Is a compass really needed? Maybe not. A headlamp ...maybe not. A clothesline ... handy but maybe not. Lighter is better ... I know ... I shipped stuff Leon to Santiago to Ivar's in Fall 2014. My pack felt so much lighter at 18 lbs ... I weighed 148....
Lighter is better!!
Buen Camino

I'll think about that. I like the idea of swapping one of the tops for the peasant top. :) I think I need to see this skirt. And then try to get out there and hike in it.

@tomnorth the main problem I am having is that with the size of my family, I cannot find 4-5 hours to go on very long hikes. This week alone, 4 kids have been sick on and off with a stomach bug...with 2 more to go, realistically. And I would still have to come home and be a full time mom after that 4-5 hours. It is also about 20 degrees and snowing with ice on the ground at the moment. I've been doing workouts indoor targeting shoulders and legs, to compensate. I know it isn't much. It is what it is.
Then I'd try to at least get six to seven miles in. I found that my body started giving me good feedback when I got to that point. I took to calling it half a Camino, meaning hal

Then I'd try for at least six to seven miles. I found that that's what it took to start getting good feedback from my body. I took to calling that distance a half-Camino, meaning half the distance walked on a typical day on the Camino.

I'm sure sorry about the stomach bug hitting your family. Our daughter's school was closed this week due to an outbreak of norovirus (the stomach virus). Fortunately, she didn't get it. When I walked the Camino there was an outbreak of norovirus. It was pretty nasty. I hope everyone in your family gets healthy soon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

As they all said, it's no 10% rule it's just a guide so it kind keep you check :) just remember this rule: 18 lbs it's nothing for the first mile or two :) by the time you reach your first stop that hair dryer you thought was the most important thing on the world it's seating on a bench somewhere haha scrutinize everything you put inside that backpack and also check the weight of the pack alone and see if can do better, just remember to have fun :)

Zzotte

All the base layer tops are made to fit so tight. I think I would be uncomfortable in public in them by themselves. That is why I planned for a rayon top for dinner times....what is everyone else wearing in the evenings?

Though not really Camino specific, I ran across a great set of video tips for packing and long distance hiking from a young woman who hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2015. She has some great stuff about what you really need, and what you DON'T need.

And there is stuff in her gear set you won't need - like water collection and filtering gear, tent, sleeping pad, cooking gear, food, etc. And though she took stuff to hand a bear bag, and you think you won't need that, I'd recommend that you do take a good length of lightweight cord, paracord, or something even lighter stronger, for use, as an example, as a clothes drying line, or line to hang your pareo on around your bunk if you want a bit of extra privacy. But it's a thoughtful list of gear that worked -- for her. But don't fall prey to thinking that because you aren't going to carry tent, water filtering gear, etc, that you can just add an equal amount of weight in other stuff. If you cut the weight, you can increase your daily distance without too much fatigue.

And don't worry too much about the weight. You are close enough. If you really have too much, you can always bounce some of your stuff forward to Ivar in SdC and he'll hold it for your arrival.
Here's the link to the AT hiker's vid about her packing and gear:
Blog: http://homemadewanderlust.com/whats-in-my-pack-gear-list/
Vid:

You're going to have a grand time. Take YOUR time. It's not a race!

Last edited:
For a pilgrimage as long as the Camino Frances, as an example, it should be the 10 lb Rule over the 10% Body Weight Rule. Logically, the lighter the pack, the easier the walk will be, especially up and down hills.

Here is a trick to save time weighing your pack and stay home. Weigh yourself. Then, put your full pack on and weigh yourself again. Subtract Weight #1 from Weight #2 and you have your Pack weight. No need to go to the Vet again, unless your wee pet is sick.

Consider the potential problems of carrying too much weight;

- shin splints
- foot blisters
- muscle strains
- IT Band tearing (PM me and I can tell you how devastating this can be)
- Shoulder strain / abrasions on shoulders / hips
- Poor posture involving strain and pain in the neck, back and shoulders.
-
Spinal compression and/or improper alignment, leaving the back vulnerable to injury.
-
Stress or compression of the shoulders and arms causing tingling, numbness and/or weakness in the arms or hands.

Many of these can happen without too much weight too, or any, but an overweight pack will make all of these happen sooner, possibly stopping you in your tracks for days to weeks to months. It has happened to me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Not much you can't fix with a big needle and dental floss as thread, or duct tape. And if it's something worse, well, you aren't in the middle of nowhere. There are towns you'll pass through with decent stores. Everything can be replaced it necessary.

Though not really Camino specific, I ran across a great set of video tips for packing and long distance hiking from a young woman who hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2015. She has some great stuff about what you really need, and what you DON'T need.

And there is stuff in her gear set you won't need - like water collection and filtering gear, tent, sleeping pad, cooking gear, food, etc. And though she took stuff to hand a bear bag, and you think you won't need that, I'd recommend that you do take a good length of lightweight cord, paracord, or something even lighter stronger, for use, as an example, as a clothes drying line, or line to hang your pareo on around your bunk if you want a bit of extra privacy. But it's a thoughtful list of gear that worked -- for her. But don't fall prey to thinking that because you aren't going to carry tent, water filtering gear, etc, that you can just and equal amount in other stuff.

And don't worry too much about the weight. You are close enough. If you really have too much, you can always bounce some of your stuff forward to Ivar in SdC and he'll hold it for your arrival.
Here's the link to the AT hiker's vid about her packing and gear:
Blog: http://homemadewanderlust.com/whats-in-my-pack-gear-list/
Vid:

You're going to have a grand time. Take YOUR time. It's not a race!

Thanks for posting. Thoroughly enjoyed the gear review video.

I have been planning to leave for my Camino for over a year. I just decided to carry only clothing and buy the necessaries in France and Spain as I came to need them. I over bought my pack. I have a 65L and there is no way I will ever fill it. I am 6 ft 4 in. and the pack fits. Smaller packs wouldn't. I plan to start in April as well. Closer to the first of April.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Eve and what a Wonder Woman you are :) There are a lot of threads but the stand out is that you are caring for 7 kids. The obvious is that you are a very organised person. I have 4 adult children, and even in those days, with another pair of hands during their early years, it was a handful. Ok, full disclosure: I'm a long distance trekker but have never done the Camino, which I plan to complete this April/May. Even after nearly 20 years of walking, you invariably take more than you need. Yes, you need some backups for extreme weather conditions but you can still travel very light. The thing is not to stress over any of this because finally you are getting some 'me time'. So many points above but on wet weather days, just wear your wet weather pants over your undies (I won't tell and nobody will know!). And if the sun comes out, slip your skirt over your pants and take them off and then your shorts and remove your skirt (most people don't care when you are on the trail, be prepared to see a lot of undies, we all wear them). Less wear and tear on your skirt and the skirt will stay clean longer. There are so many random thoughts but the main thing is that you are on a very well worn and civilised trail (not above 4,000 metres in the alps!). That is, lots of people on the trail that can provide help and the 'local store' will never be too far away. The less you take, the more freedom you will have on the open road. Don't take the weight of everyday life from your mind and add it to your back. Plus, your knees, ankles and feet will say thank you. I average 9 kg including 2 litres of water in my Camelbak water system so your numbers sound pretty good. Enjoy this wonderful opportunity to focus on yourself. Along the way, if you're not using something, get rid of it. If you are missing something, buy it.

Have a fantastic walk mum, you deserve it. Happy trails

The 10% rule seems to only be a Camino thing and in the rest of the world of multi day, thru-hiking 20% is a much more realistic figure, so I wouldn't get too hung up about this.

The Camino is relatively easy too compared to many long hikes. I recently carried over 20% of my body weight on a much tougher trail and found it fine. I am neither that young or particularly fit either!

I'd certainly recommend lightweight gear, but don't underestimate your body's ability to adjust to the weight you carry.

Have a fantastic walk mum, you deserve it. Happy trails

Thank you. <3 I've so much to think about after reading through all of today's additions. I am definitely going to do some reconsidering. I've already made some changes in the last few days and I'm considering other stuff, too, because of all the wisdom here on old threads I am pouring through.

I appreciate your kind words.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been planning to leave for my Camino for over a year. I just decided to carry only clothing and buy the necessaries in France and Spain as I came to need them. I over bought my pack. I have a 65L and there is no way I will ever fill it. I am 6 ft 4 in. and the pack fits. Smaller packs wouldn't. I plan to start in April as well. Closer to the first of April.

I *totally get this. There were some packs that seemed like they would fit me well, but as a 6 ft tall person? No way. I did much better with unisex sizing than with women's packs. Mine technically fills to 45L. I will be keeping it under 35, until I head home. Then I plan on stuffing the last bit of space with souvenirs for my family. lol

Then I'd try to at least get six to seven miles in. I found that my body started giving me good feedback when I got to that point. I took to calling it half a Camino, meaning hal

I'm sure sorry about the stomach bug hitting your family. Our daughter's school was closed this week due to an outbreak of norovirus (the stomach virus). Fortunately, she didn't get it. When I walked the Camino there was an outbreak of norovirus. It was pretty nasty. I hope everyone in your family gets healthy soon.

I've done 8 miles more than once, with no problems. Even the day I drove myself with 10 miles (way too fast), no blisters or shin pain. But oooooh, my hips were not happy. Next time I went out I used poles. Much much better on hips and knees. That was the day where I drove to a trail with steep grades and switchbacks (I live where it is mostly flat).

I'm hoping since I can do 6 miles without a problem, that one day on the camino is really just 3 x 5-6 mile jaunts with breaks inbetween? And much slower walking than I would do at home. Sigh...there really is no way for me to replicate this to get a sense of what it is going to be like. I guess that will remain a mystery until I get there. :)

Family seems to be recovering nicely. Finally! Norovirus is awful! So grateful we didn't have that. It was a 24 hour bug for them. Thanks for asking. :)

The 10% rule seems to only be a Camino thing and in the rest of the world of multi day, thru-hiking 20% is a much more realistic figure, so I wouldn't get too hung up about this.

The Camino is relatively easy too compared to many long hikes. I recently carried over 20% of my body weight on a much tougher trail and found it fine. I am neither that young or particularly fit either!

I'd certainly recommend lightweight gear, but don't underestimate your body's ability to adjust to the weight you carry.

Well that is encouraging! Glad to know this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This was awesome! I watched the whole thing. I read A Walk in the Woods a few months ago and absolutely loved it. Would love to hike portions of the AT some day. Thanks for the link!

Glad you liked it. The main thing I think you should take away is that you don't really have to take much in the way of clothes. And certainly not multiples of items, with the sole exception of an extra pair of underwear and multiple pairs of socks. Everyone else you meet will be in the same boat, wearing the same clothes day in and day out. It's a pilgrimage, not a fashion show. Oh, and look at the buff in merino. If it gets cold, you will need a warm hat. I've always heard that the body loses 90% of its heat from the head. Keep it warm.

You really are going to do fine. If you can raise 7 children, this will be a cake walk!

Glad you liked it. The main thing I think you should take away is that you don't really have to take much in the way of clothes. And certainly not multiples of items, with the sole exception of an extra pair of underwear and multiple pairs of socks. Everyone else you meet will be in the same boat, wearing the same clothes day in and day out. It's a pilgrimage, not a fashion show. Oh, and look at the buff in merino. If it gets cold, you will need a warm hat. I've always heard that the body loses 90% of its heat from the head. Keep it warm.

You really are going to do fine. If you can raise 7 children, this will be a cake walk!

I'm trying to decide if I should take a second buff in merino or not. I have one that is whateer the standard fabric is for buffs. Plus the sun hat. I walked one day in 30 degree weather in pouring rain with ice and snow on the road...I had my ears covered and a hood on my rain coat, but ended up taking them on and off throughout the walk because I got hot! lol

Well, I'm in for another 14 years before the last one is raised...so we will see if I can actually do it, then! lol :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that the 10% "rule" is also a bit more difficult for those who weigh under 150 lbs or so, just because there are things that you have to carry, regardless of your size. I think I carried over 12% of my body weight, but had no problem with it at all.
Trecile, that is without your hiking poles in there I am assuming? I haven't counted mine as I am going to use them and not carry, is that right? :rolleyes:

I did a test of my pack weight a few weeks ago. I took it to the vet's office where they kindly weighed it for me as my home scale doesn't seem to want to register anything under 35 lbs.......

....... I'll take it to the Vet's again, but if I'm *close to the 10% mark, am I doing well since it is end of winter? Or do I need to start tossing stuff and get it lower than 18-20 lbs?

I'll save you the trip. Put the pack on. Step on the scale. Take it off. Step on the scale. Do the math.

I'll save you the trip. Put the pack on. Step on the scale. Take it off. Step on the scale. Do the math.

Yeah...so I'll admit this didn't occur to me until y'all mentioned it. Several times now. /blush :) It is practice in humility that I have not gone back and edited this bit out of the original comment! bahahahaha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[QUOTE="I'm traveling in March...I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.
[/QUOTE]

I am also travelling in march, starting 16th.

Below is my pack list - not weighed it but feels very light if this helps :)

Attachments

• KIT LIST 13022017.pdf
    190.4 KB · Views: 19
All these comments about pack size and contents has motivated me to check my own pack. It's one of those crazy things, you do the research, buy the pack and forget about the details. But here I go stirring the possum again! My last long distance walk was in September in the Bavarian Alps, cold in the evenings and mornings. That is, had both cold and warm weather gear in the pack. 200 km in all over 7 days. My pack is an Osprey Talon 22!! If it was 900 km I don't believe I would want a bigger pack as I just keep recycling the same contents. 22 litres works for me. However, I think my killer app is that several years a go a very experienced trekker taught me how to fold and roll my clothes into very tight bundles (feel free to go duh at this point but it was news to me). This method keeps them in great condition, fewer wrinkles and you can get an enormous amount of clothing in a small space. My theory regarding pack size is like your storage at home, the rubbish expands to fill the space available, ha ha.
Happy trails

All these comments about pack size and contents has motivated me to check my own pack. It's one of those crazy things, you do the research, buy the pack and forget about the details. But here I go stirring the possum again! My last long distance walk was in September in the Bavarian Alps, cold in the evenings and mornings. That is, had both cold and warm weather gear in the pack. 200 km in all over 7 days. My pack is an Osprey Talon 22!! If it was 900 km I don't believe I would want a bigger pack as I just keep recycling the same contents. 22 litres works for me. However, I think my killer app is that several years a go a very experienced trekker taught me how to fold and roll my clothes into very tight bundles (feel free to go duh at this point but it was news to me). This method keeps them in great condition, fewer wrinkles and you can get an enormous amount of clothing in a small space. My theory regarding pack size is like your storage at home, the rubbish expands to fill the space available, ha ha.
Happy trails

I'm pretty sure everyone has thought "duh" at my questions at least daily in the last week. :p I shall look into rolling my clothes. Thanks for the tip! :D

[QUOTE="I'm traveling in March...I'm a little confused about pack weight. I know the 10% rule well. Every says it is *the number to follow.

I am also travelling in march, starting 16th.

Below is my pack list - not weighed it but feels very light if this helps :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your list. I appreciate it!

Thanks for sharing your list. I appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Not a problem!

Happy trails

Oh, I'm so glad you said that, Tony : ) I'm starting my first Camino in April and finally picked up a pack today - a 28L. I'm a bit worried about the cold, but plan to just bring layering basics and keep everything as minimal as possible. I was getting nervous with all the talk of 45-65L packs! I need mine to fit under the airplane seat as well, so figured at the least, a small bag will keep me within limits. Would you mind sharing your cold weather gear pack list?

Cheers,

Bradley

PS Eve, I'm nervous too, but we can do this! : )
PPS Great tip on rolling the clothes - I was a flight attendant and we're taught to do that in training!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glad I'm not the only nervous one. :)

And I'd love to see what you're bringing for cold weather as well. I'm still obsessing over ounces at the moment. :)

I was at the Lush store yesterday and picked up a sliver to see if I like it.

Hi Bradley and what a lovely mail and hello from Oz to beautiful South Carolina :) Now, being a gal there are obviously a few extras that men don't have to worry about but I think that 28 litres should be more than enough. The key thing is that those few extra litres gives you room to have a few niceties to change into at the end of the day. Men can where the same spare shorts day after day after day and some how you still love us, which just goes to show that miracles do happen, ha ha. In regard to clothes for this adventure it really depends on how much you are willing to invest. I do a lot of long distance walking, which means over the years I've invested in the best technical equipment possible. Compare this to tennis. In the beginning you start with a $40 hand-me-down racket. After a few years and you're playing 3 times per week you spoil yourself with a $300 racket because it brings out your best. However, I'm not suggesting you do that now. There is a great French sports chain called Decathlon. Great everyday products at the right price. Long story short. The T shirt in my photo is of a special material with carbon fibre woven through and you can wear it of 5 days straight and smell nothing. It whisks away sweat and you don't get a chill in relative cool, humid environments. Price for a T shirt like this $120! And I take two on every walk. But let's be practical. First, DON'T use any cotton T shirts. Cotton retains sweat, quickly becomes very smelly and takes a long time to dry. Synthetics Ts, even cheap and cheerful are much better. It's not about cold weather gear but about layering up and layering down.

Ok, and I hope you don't mind me getting personal, and providing a complete solution, but we are talking about making life easier for a very long walk. And, after all we are all the same folks from top to bottom! I wear nylon swimmers or in your case a bikini bottom for two reasons. You can wash at the end of each day and they will be dry overnight and during a hot day you can have a quick dip in a river or lake and no need to change. Keep those special undies for the after shower arrival in the town where you are staying for the night. Likewise (and please keep in mind I am a grandfather) wear a sports bra. Every step, especially going down a steep hill is 4 - 6 times your body weight on each knee, ankle, foot and #^*. Gravity does it's thing and depending on your body shape, that's a lot of stress on your body. T shirt as above. Depending on the temp, and if it's still quite cold, I have a Rab Aeon Plus Zip Tee. It's a long sleeve T that zips to the top of the breast bone. This allows the addition of a scarf or muffler in very cold weather but also allows air in if you start feeling hot. Over the Rab or a short sleeve T I wear an Icebreaker 260 mid-weight sleeveless vest. It's incredibly light but extremely warm because it's 100% marino wool from our good friends in New Zealand. Over that I wear a 'The North Face' Polartec fleece. Again light but effective. You can buy a windstopper fleece but no doubt you are also caring an outer shell which stops wind and rain. Why carry two wind stoppers? If it's that cold, just wear your outer shell over your long sleeve fleece. And my outer shell is a Marmot, triple gore-tex jacket with an adjustable hood to close around the face in windy/wet conditions (whatever brand, make sure you have long zippers under the armpits to allow cooling in hot, steamy but wet conditions). Weighs nothing but you could stand under the shower fully clothed and stay dry. I use both long trousers and shorts from Craghoppers. I find zip off trousers, that convert to shorts, heavier than necessary and not as comfortable.

Ok, I know you have just asked yourself, why did I ask this guy for advice but it's all about the combinations and permutations of what you can do with very little kit.

For example, on a relatively warm but wet day, wear your wet weather pants over your swimmers/undies (ok poncho fans this is not for you but if you buy rain pants, make sure that they have zippers up to the knee because trying to get rain pants, with elastic cuffs over your boots or trainers will drive you insane or if it's a sudden rain burst leave you drenched by the time you get them on). No need to wear long pants or shorts as well under your rain pants. If the sun comes out, find a quiet spot and change into your shorts. I think I mentioned in a post to Eve that on a long distance walk you get to see a lot of other people's undies but who cares. We're all part of the fraternity called long distance walkers. You learn to look the other way. Mid warm day, wear your T shirt and your sleeveless vest. Layer up and layer down. The key is to leave heavy material like jeans at home.

I hope I haven't confused you and you certainly don't need to spend a lot of money but apply the KISS principle - keep it simple silly! And don't hesitate to ask more questions if you'd like me to provide more detail. I love this stuff and even after 20 years of trekking, you never stop learning. And, don't get me started on water systems and the best way to keep the water bladder and tube clean. But that's a story for another time.

In regard to feeling nervous, me too. It's a hell of a long way but in the end we are breaking the walk into small digestible chunks of 25 - 30 kilometres each. And, when you think about it, we walk every day. Perhaps not so far but this time we are following a set trail as opposed to around our home town or city. Plus, you will be surrounded by fellow walkers who all have the same objective. Before you know it you will have completed the first week, found your rhythm and be confident with starting each new day. For me the key thing is that this isn't a contest. Listen to your body. If you are going with a friend or partner, and he or she has longer legs and quicker, let them go ahead or vice versa. You will catch up with each other at some point in the day. And, DON'T power-walk (there's the father in me again). Can you imagine power-walking for 35 days! Just find the pace that's comfortable for your height and frame. Trust me, the next town will still be there waiting for you when you arrive, ha ha.

Happy trails :)

This is awesome. Thank you. I'm totally going to comb through my pack to minimize.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Bradley and what a lovely mail and hello from Oz to beautiful South Carolina :) Now, being a gal there are obviously a few extras that men don't have to worry about but I think that 28 litres should be more than enough. The key thing is that those few extra litres gives you room to have a few niceties to change into at the end of the day. Men can where the same spare shorts day after day after day and some how you still love us, which just goes to show that miracles do happen, ha ha. In regard to clothes for this adventure it really depends on how much you are willing to invest. I do a lot of long distance walking, which means over the years I've invested in the best technical equipment possible. Compare this to tennis. In the beginning you start with a $40 hand-me-down racket. After a few years and you're playing 3 times per week you spoil yourself with a $300 racket because it brings out your best. However, I'm not suggesting you do that now. There is a great French sports chain called Decathlon. Great everyday products at the right price. Long story short. The T shirt in my photo is of a special material with carbon fibre woven through and you can wear it of 5 days straight and smell nothing. It whisks away sweat and you don't get a chill in relative cool, humid environments. Price for a T shirt like this $120! And I take two on every walk. But let's be practical. First, DON'T use any cotton T shirts. Cotton retains sweat, quickly becomes very smelly and takes a long time to dry. Synthetics Ts, even cheap and cheerful are much better. It's not about cold weather gear but about layering up and layering down.

Ok, and I hope you don't mind me getting personal, and providing a complete solution, but we are talking about making life easier for a very long walk. And, after all we are all the same folks from top to bottom! I wear nylon swimmers or in your case a bikini bottom for two reasons. You can wash at the end of each day and they will be dry overnight and during a hot day you can have a quick dip in a river or lake and no need to change. Keep those special undies for the after shower arrival in the town where you are staying for the night. Likewise (and please keep in mind I am a grandfather) wear a sports bra. Every step, especially going down a steep hill is 4 - 6 times your body weight on each knee, ankle, foot and #^*. Gravity does it's thing and depending on your body shape, that's a lot of stress on your body. T shirt as above. Depending on the temp, and if it's still quite cold, I have a Rab Aeon Plus Zip Tee. It's a long sleeve T that zips to the top of the breast bone. This allows the addition of a scarf or muffler in very cold weather but also allows air in if you start feeling hot. Over the Rab or a short sleeve T I wear an Icebreaker 260 mid-weight sleeveless vest. It's incredibly light but extremely warm because it's 100% marino wool from our good friends in New Zealand. Over that I wear a 'The North Face' Polartec fleece. Again light but effective. You can buy a windstopper fleece but no doubt you are also caring an outer shell which stops wind and rain. Why carry two wind stoppers? If it's that cold, just wear your outer shell over your long sleeve fleece. And my outer shell is a Marmot, triple gore-tex jacket with an adjustable hood to close around the face in windy/wet conditions (whatever brand, make sure you have long zippers under the armpits to allow cooling in hot, steamy but wet conditions). Weighs nothing but you could stand under the shower fully clothed and stay dry. I use both long trousers and shorts from Craghoppers. I find zip off trousers, that convert to shorts, heavier than necessary and not as comfortable.

Ok, I know you have just asked yourself, why did I ask this guy for advice but it's all about the combinations and permutations of what you can do with very little kit.

For example, on a relatively warm but wet day, wear your wet weather pants over your swimmers/undies (ok poncho fans this is not for you but if you buy rain pants, make sure that they have zippers up to the knee because trying to get rain pants, with elastic cuffs over your boots or trainers will drive you insane or if it's a sudden rain burst leave you drenched by the time you get them on). No need to wear long pants or shorts as well under your rain pants. If the sun comes out, find a quiet spot and change into your shorts. I think I mentioned in a post to Eve that on a long distance walk you get to see a lot of other people's undies but who cares. We're all part of the fraternity called long distance walkers. You learn to look the other way. Mid warm day, wear your T shirt and your sleeveless vest. Layer up and layer down. The key is to leave heavy material like jeans at home.

I hope I haven't confused you and you certainly don't need to spend a lot of money but apply the KISS principle - keep it simple silly! And don't hesitate to ask more questions if you'd like me to provide more detail. I love this stuff and even after 20 years of trekking, you never stop learning. And, don't get me started on water systems and the best way to keep the water bladder and tube clean. But that's a story for another time.

In regard to feeling nervous, me too. It's a hell of a long way but in the end we are breaking the walk into small digestible chunks of 25 - 30 kilometres each. And, when you think about it, we walk every day. Perhaps not so far but this time we are following a set trail as opposed to around our home town or city. Plus, you will be surrounded by fellow walkers who all have the same objective. Before you know it you will have completed the first week, found your rhythm and be confident with starting each new day. For me the key thing is that this isn't a contest. Listen to your body. If you are going with a friend or partner, and he or she has longer legs and quicker, let them go ahead or vice versa. You will catch up with each other at some point in the day. And, DON'T power-walk (there's the father in me again). Can you imagine power-walking for 35 days! Just find the pace that's comfortable for your height and frame. Trust me, the next town will still be there waiting for you when you arrive, ha ha.

Happy trails :)

Thanks, Tony!

Sports bras are a given for me : ) but was just discussing bottoms with my sister-in-law - she's a fan of ExOfficio and I think I'll look into 2 pairs of those. I have several layer-able Smartwool shirts that I think should work (I'll pack 1/wear 1), a fleece, scarf, thin gloves, a rain jacket (although debating a poncho instead), a warm beanie, 2 undies, 2 sports bras, and was planning on leggings (although debating that as well - maybe 1 pair, and 1 pair of quick drying/rain pants?), 2 pairs marino wool socks, some sandals (besides soap/toothbrush/paste/sunglasses/headlamp) and I think that'll be it! I still have over a month to play around with it though... : )

I start April 11th/12th, and my only necessity is making it to Lisbon by May 24th for my flight home. I didn't want to rush my walk and all the extra time at the end (assuming I'm not that slow haha) can be used to explore Portugal! I'm a bartender, so on my feet 14+hrs some days, but I know this will be a different physical effort (and I'm horribly out of shape at the moment!). I'll try hard to pay attention to how I'm feeling and to not push it too much. My concern is really for the first day and making it over the mountains. Live and learn, right?

Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful response! Very informative and helpful! We have a lovely group here in Charlotte that meets for coffee weekly to discuss everything Camino, and it's awesome to get to learn from so many different experiences here and at the meetings. The genuine openness, friendliness, and willingness to help us newbies is just amazing - I'm excited to become a part of this family : )

Cheers,

Bradley

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Bradley, and thanks for the reply. I have a few ideas I'd like to add but just heading out the door. Anther 30C day again in Sydney and need to get my 10 km run complete before it gets too hot. When I return, I'll share the magic of pantyhose! No, not what you're thinking. Back soon T :)

Thanks, Tony!

Sports bras are a given for me : ) but was just discussing bottoms with my sister-in-law - she's a fan of ExOfficio and I think I'll look into 2 pairs of those. I have several layer-able Smartwool shirts that I think should work (I'll pack 1/wear 1), a fleece, scarf, thin gloves, a rain jacket (although debating a poncho instead), a warm beanie, 2 undies, 2 sports bras, and was planning on leggings (although debating that as well - maybe 1 pair, and 1 pair of quick drying/rain pants?), 2 pairs marino wool socks, some sandals (besides soap/toothbrush/paste/sunglasses/headlamp) and I think that'll be it! I still have over a month to play around with it though... : )

Bradley

Sounds like you have your clothes dialed in. My 25 year old daughter really liked having leggings for some days and shorts/pants for others. And for really cold days, both and your rain pants too.
Either have something light and cotton to sleep in or sleep in what you plan to wear the next day, plus a pair of sleeping socks.
Add a bandana and buff unless your scarf will do duty for them instead.

Add you sleeping bag, toiletries, electronics, and small repair kit, maybe a headlamp or keychain light on a lanyard or string, and you should be good to go. Get a plastic SmartWater or similar bottle for water when there and just reuse it over and over. And figure out how you plan to replace electrolytes. Maybe take several days of "fizzie" tablets or powder packets in case you can't find anything on an afternoon shopping stop in town.

Don't worry, keep walking with your pack. Find some hills or stairs. With 14 hours a day on your feed anyway, you should be in pretty fair shape anyway.

And once you take off, breathe and just let it go. You're going to have a wonderful time.

Buen Camino.

Yippee, made it again! Apologies for the delayed answer but got tied up with some local stuff. Ok, April temps and staying warm. I researched the mean April temps for the last few years and it's a real mishmash (I'm looking at a mid-April start as well). That is, no consistency whatsoever. However, the trend is towards cool rather than cold. But cold is a very personal thing. Personally, I'm happy trekking in sunny 5 - 10C conditions in my shorts. As long as my chest is warm, it really doesn't worry me. However, add a cold wind and/or rain and I'm happy to put on the long pants.

In regard to leggings, what did you have in mind. In Oz, leggings can be either heavy duty woollen stretch pants or synthetic stretch pants often used by joggers. Either way, you are adding extra weight. I prefer the heavy duty cotton walking pants because they are more durable, trap a layer of air between you and the skin and of course are hard to tear if you have a fall. If it's really cold, I wear a pair of heavy denier tights under my pants. I know it sounds bizarre but they are much lighter that long-john style pants. Again, it's a personal decision but keep in mind that except for rest breaks you will be constantly on the move. You won't be standing around for hours in the cold doing nothing. And trust me, you will generate a lot of heat carrying the backpack at approximately 5 kph hour after hour. Also, the highest point on the route Napoleon is Collado Lepoeder at 1430 metres, which aint all that high and at this time of the year should (should!) be clear of any snow or wintery type conditions.

In regard to the poncho/rain jacket debate, I'm a fan of the jacket because in windy conditions it stays in place, your pack should have an outer rain cover, which will be much sturdier than poncho material and a rain jacket is great for everyday use when you finish the walk. Anyway, that's my two bobs worth.

In regard to socks, I use the Quechua brand from Decathlon. They are durable, breath really well and quick drying. You can also roll them up or down depending if it's cold or warm conditions. Don't know about marino socks. They sound cosy warm but are they quick drying? Your boot should be insulated enough to keep your feet warm. The sock is only for protection against rubbing and to wick away moisture to avoid skin irritation.

Finally, the first day is scaring for everyone. I remember my first big walk. It was the Robert Louis Stevenson walk in France, the GR70. Funnily enough it starts in Le Puy-en-Velay, which is also the start of the Pilgrim's trail across France. Anyway, I'm alone on this ridge looking at this huge forrest and chain of mountains disappearing into the horizon, and continuing for another 200 km, and I thought to myself 'Tony, are you insane?' 200 km! I couldn't get my head around 10 km let alone 200 km but one foot after the other and before you know it you've travelled many, many miles. And, Bradley, this is the really exhilarating part. At some stage, during your first long-distance walk you stop, turn around and see a little dot, which is a town or mountain way, way, way in the distance, that you left that very morning and go WOW. I've travelled that far!!! Anyway, by the end of the GR70, I was hooked. The long-distance trekking bug had got me :) which is really :cool: And, 20 years later still haven't found the cure ;)

€60,-
Anything cotton does not work for me on Camino in April - it takes too long to dry. And is cold when wet. I wear a Macabi hiking skirt, with leggings underneath if it is cold. I wear an Altus raincoat which has now done four caminos with no sign of wear. It covers my pack and has the advantage that I can open and close the front, take it on and off without removing my backpack, and it covers my legs as well. People call them ponchos, but they are not. And sandals. And Sealskinz socks. And Sealskinz gloves for April.

But anyone new to this forum should read @mspath 's gear list. She's walked the Camino in winter many times. And she is still going strong. So if it works for her..... She keeps it simple, but covers everything. Here's her list: http://mermore.blogspot.com.au/p/kit-and-tips.html

Thanks, Tony!

I start April 11th/12th, and my only necessity is making it to Lisbon by May 24th for my flight home. I didn't want to rush my walk and all the extra time at the end (assuming I'm not that slow haha) can be used to explore Portugal! I'm a bartender, so on my feet 14+hrs some days, but I know this will be a different physical effort (and I'm horribly out of shape at the moment!). I'll try hard to pay attention to how I'm feeling and to not push it too much. My concern is really for the first day and making it over the mountains. Live and learn, right?

Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful response! Very informative and helpful! We have a lovely group here in Charlotte that meets for coffee weekly to discuss everything Camino, and it's awesome to get to learn from so many different experiences here and at the meetings. The genuine openness, friendliness, and willingness to help us newbies is just amazing - I'm excited to become a part of this family : )

Cheers,

Bradley

Hi Bradley, just in case my reply was on the wrong thread, I've repeated below. Still trying to get a hang of this technology but what a great idea and platform thanks again Ivar (we need a thumbs up emoji).

Yippee, made it again! Apologies for the delayed answer but got tied up with some local stuff. Ok, April temps and staying warm. I researched the mean April temps for the last few years and it's a real mishmash (I'm looking at a mid-April start as well). That is, no consistency whatsoever. However, the trend is towards cool rather than cold. But cold is a very personal thing. Personally, I'm happy trekking in sunny 5 - 10C conditions in my shorts. As long as my chest is warm, it really doesn't worry me. However, add a cold wind and/or rain and I'm happy to put on the long pants.

In regard to leggings, what did you have in mind. In Oz, leggings can be either heavy duty woollen stretch pants or synthetic stretch pants often used by joggers. Either way, you are adding extra weight. I prefer the heavy duty cotton walking pants because they are more durable, trap a layer of air between you and the skin and of course are hard to tear if you have a fall. If it's really cold, I wear a pair of heavy denier tights under my pants. I know it sounds bizarre but they are much lighter that long-john style pants. Again, it's a personal decision but keep in mind that except for rest breaks you will be constantly on the move. You won't be standing around for hours in the cold doing nothing. And trust me, you will generate a lot of heat carrying the backpack at approximately 5 kph hour after hour. Also, the highest point on the route Napoleon is Collado Lepoeder at 1430 metres, which aint all that high and at this time of the year should (should!) be clear of any snow or wintery type conditions.

In regard to the poncho/rain jacket debate, I'm a fan of the jacket because in windy conditions it stays in place, your pack should have an outer rain cover, which will be much sturdier than poncho material and a rain jacket is great for everyday use when you finish the walk. Anyway, that's my two bobs worth.

In regard to socks, I use the Quechua brand from Decathlon. They are durable, breath really well and quick drying. You can also roll them up or down depending if it's cold or warm conditions. Don't know about marino socks. They sound cosy warm but are they quick drying? Your boot should be insulated enough to keep your feet warm. The sock is only for protection against rubbing and to wick away moisture to avoid skin irritation.

Finally, the first day is scaring for everyone. I remember my first big walk. It was the Robert Louis Stevenson walk in France, the GR70. Funnily enough it starts in Le Puy-en-Velay, which is also the start of the Pilgrim's trail across France. Anyway, I'm alone on this ridge looking at this huge forrest and chain of mountains disappearing into the horizon, and continuing for another 200 km, and I thought to myself 'Tony, are you insane?' 200 km! I couldn't get my head around 10 km let alone 200 km but one foot after the other and before you know it you've travelled many, many miles. And, Bradley, this is the really exhilarating part. At some stage, during your first long-distance walk you stop, turn around and see a little dot, which is a town or mountain way, way, way in the distance, that you left that very morning and go WOW. I've travelled that far!!! Anyway, by the end of the GR70, I was hooked. The long-distance trekking bug had got me :) which is really :cool: and 20 years later still haven't found the cure ;)

Hi Bradley, just in case my reply was on the wrong thread, I've repeated below. Still trying to get a hang of this technology but what a great idea and platform thanks again Ivar (we need a thumbs up emoji).
You've just repeated the post that is just two beforehand. Your contributions might be nice, but not that wonderful we need to have constant repeats!!

ps - there is functionality to delete posts yourself that you might find useful when this happens, as it sometimes does for technical reasons when the link between Ivar's server and your machine is not stable.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Doug, glad I'm not the sensitive type, ha ha. But now know that the message did get through to Bradley. Thanks again.

Happy trails

Sounds like you have your clothes dialed in. My 25 year old daughter really liked having leggings for some days and shorts/pants for others. And for really cold days, both and your rain pants too.
Either have something light and cotton to sleep in or sleep in what you plan to wear the next day, plus a pair of sleeping socks.
Add a bandana and buff unless your scarf will do duty for them instead.

Add you sleeping bag, toiletries, electronics, and small repair kit, maybe a headlamp or keychain light on a lanyard or string, and you should be good to go. Get a plastic SmartWater or similar bottle for water when there and just reuse it over and over. And figure out how you plan to replace electrolytes. Maybe take several days of "fizzie" tablets or powder packets in case you can't find anything on an afternoon shopping stop in town.

Don't worry, keep walking with your pack. Find some hills or stairs. With 14 hours a day on your feed anyway, you should be in pretty fair shape anyway.

And once you take off, breathe and just let it go. You're going to have a wonderful time.

Buen Camino.
Great advice, thanks so much! Will def have a bandana and buff : ) Skipping sleeping bag for a simple, silk liner instead. Will probably only bring a small travel size Dr Bronners and toothpaste toiletry wise and have a headlamp already. Yeeeeeeeeee! It's getting closer and I'm getting so excited!

Finally, the first day is scaring for everyone. I remember my first big walk. It was the Robert Louis Stevenson walk in France, the GR70. Funnily enough it starts in Le Puy-en-Velay, which is also the start of the Pilgrim's trail across France. Anyway, I'm alone on this ridge looking at this huge forrest and chain of mountains disappearing into the horizon, and continuing for another 200 km, and I thought to myself 'Tony, are you insane?' 200 km! I couldn't get my head around 10 km let alone 200 km but one foot after the other and before you know it you've travelled many, many miles. And, Bradley, this is the really exhilarating part. At some stage, during your first long-distance walk you stop, turn around and see a little dot, which is a town or mountain way, way, way in the distance, that you left that very morning and go WOW. I've travelled that far!!! Anyway, by the end of the GR70, I was hooked. The long-distance trekking bug had got me :) which is really :cool: And, 20 years later still haven't found the cure ;)

Thanks for another great and informative reply, Tony! : )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anything cotton does not work for me on Camino in April - it takes too long to dry. And is cold when wet. I wear a Macabi hiking skirt, with leggings underneath if it is cold. I wear an Altus raincoat which has now done four caminos with no sign of wear. It covers my pack and has the advantage that I can open and close the front, take it on and off without removing my backpack, and it covers my legs as well. People call them ponchos, but they are not. And sandals. And Sealskinz socks. And Sealskinz gloves for April.

But anyone new to this forum should read @mspath 's gear list. She's walked the Camino in winter many times. And she is still going strong. So if it works for her..... She keeps it simple, but covers everything. Here's her list: http://mermore.blogspot.com.au/p/kit-and-tips.html

Thanks, lady! I'll check out the link : ) Still learning the best ways of searching out answers on here lol.

Can I see your packing list? I'm wondering if I should use a lush bar or something to cut some weight, too. I've got two bottles of sea to summit...one that is shampoo/conditioner and one that is body/clothes wash.
Hi Eve! I see that you are carrying separate shampoo and clothes wash. It's possible--I think I remember you participating in other conversation about shampoo--that you are carrying one too many things. A reasonably gentle product for hair should also be able to handle clothes...likewise, a "hands protective" type of dish liquid should be able to go for hair and clothes. Though I do remember thinking that a scrub bar (Zote) is good if the dirt is *really* ground in on the socks. (I didn't carry one.) I confess, I used the dish liquid when the shampoo for dual use ran out. You find dish liquid in the parfumeria if you need more, by the way. And when I got home, then I applied products like Resolve (AKA Spray and Wash) on socks before wash loads. And my gray Injinji liner socks that I wore without other socks on top may still have some dirt color on the bottom, but I'm not sure I care at this point. YMMV.
Buen camino.

Hi Eve! I see that you are carrying separate shampoo and clothes wash. It's possible--I think I remember you participating in other conversation about shampoo--that you are carrying one too many things. A reasonably gentle product for hair should also be able to handle clothes...likewise, a "hands protective" type of dish liquid should be able to go for hair and clothes. Though I do remember thinking that a scrub bar (Zote) is good if the dirt is *really* ground in on the socks. (I didn't carry one.) I confess, I used the dish liquid when the shampoo for dual use ran out. You find dish liquid in the parfumeria if you need more, by the way. And when I got home, then I applied products like Resolve (AKA Spray and Wash) on socks before wash loads. And my gray Injinji liner socks that I wore without other socks on top may still have some dirt color on the bottom, but I'm not sure I care at this point. YMMV.
Buen camino.

Yeah I found a bar that works for everything. Lush Avocado Co Wash. So thats what I'm bringing now. Still finding my pack a little heavier than I would like, but the only things I could leave off, are things I really want to bring, like my kindle! I've got 3 weeks left to sort it out. So excited!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah I found a bar that works for everything. Lush Avocado Co Wash. So thats what I'm bringing now. Still finding my pack a little heavier than I would like, but the only things I could leave off, are things I really want to bring, like my kindle! I've got 3 weeks left to sort it out. So excited!
I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to read about your experience and how all the advice you got from this forum works out for you.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.