• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack Weight

Bob Hummel

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello All!
I have been working very hard to lighten the load I will be carrying on the Camino Frances this spring.
Today I was happy to discover that my total pack weight, without water, is coming in at 13.5 lbs.
This is under my 15 lb. max limit, and I still have room in my pack!
Now I'm working on getting the old body in shape!
Bob

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello All!
I have been working very hard to lighten the load I will be carrying on the Camino Frances this spring.
Today I was happy to discover that my total pack weight, without water, is coming in at 13.5 lbs.
Bob

Good job!!

13.5 is very good Bob. Congrats.
Now, are you like me cobber?
Are there a couple of pounds to come off the gut?
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What are some of the items you found that keep the weight down? I too need to keep my pack weight very light. An few ounces / grams less for several things counts up.

I have been walking with my pack, lost a couple of pounds. But have lost inches in my waist. Gained mussel mass / weight. My legs are in great shape!!

What are some of the items you found that keep the weight down? I too need to keep my pack weight very light. An few ounces / grams less for several things counts up.

I have been walking with my pack, lost a couple of pounds. But have lost inches in my waist. Gained mussel mass / weight. My legs are in great shape!!
Good job on the training!
I changed to a very light pack... Osprey Exos 48.
Taking a Marmot Atom sleeping bag. All clothing is light weight, and or quick drying. Base layer, hiking shirt, fleece shirt & pants, down vest, outer rain shell and rain pants. All as light and compressible as possible.
I also tried to keep all personal items small, assuming I will be able to restock along the way.
Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello All!
Bob

Wife and I both had 65L backpacks from our ...ahemmmm... younger day. MISTAKE ...lol We recently purchased new backpacks, her a 38L me a 48L. We found out, that even though we preach the 10% guideline, that a large packs lend to packing more, hence the change. With our 65L packs, mine weighed in along the trail around 17+kg and my wife's around 13kgs with water and food. Far to heavy for us but we made it. I think you are spot on ! Buen Camino !!!

Seems a lot easier to reduce my pack weight than to reduce my weight! But working on it!

I shed almost 30lbs along the Way from SJJP to Santiago, coming back again in 2017 to get the other 30 lbs off...lol

Also there is a lot of good advice from the kind folks on this forum. And there are YouTube videos about packing light.
Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good job on the training!
I changed to a very light pack... Osprey Exos 48.
Taking a Marmot Atom sleeping bag. All clothing is light weight, and or quick drying. Base layer, hiking shirt, fleece shirt & pants, down vest, outer rain shell and rain pants. All as light and compressible as possible.
I also tried to keep all personal items small, assuming I will be able to restock along the way.
Bob
Yeah, easy to buy more personal items like soap, toothpaste etc on the CF.

Weighs more in winter than summer. Summer I pack 6 or 7 kilos. Winter about one more. Allowing for half litre of water in the winter, full litre in the summer. Includes phone, kindle, sleeping bag. Without going too hi-tech. Oh, and coffee for my addiction.

I am trying to leave some of the creature comforts at home... no tablet, no sleeping pad, no camp pillow, etc.
We'll see how long that lasts! Lol!
Bob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am trying to leave some of the creature comforts at home... no tablet, no sleeping pad, no camp pillow, etc.
We'll see how long that lasts! Lol!
Bob

Bob, we did the whole Camino de Frances with zero digital/electronic equipment except for our GoPro. It was challenging at times to say the least ...lol This time around we are going geared up with my wife's Acer Pad. We took only our sleeping bag which was enough, no sleeping bag pads, no pillow even though many times I slept pillowless because the pillows were just down right disgusting. Thankfully, my sleeping bag was long enough so my head did not touch the bed. We found out afterwards that hostels/pensions are required to change their sheets every three days while alburgues are supposed to change them every four days... supposed to I say ..lol We are thinking of seriously doing the Camino Norte' in the fall. Idid get a new head lamp for those early morning startups which were numerous. My last one was 150 lumens, my new one 6,000 lumens ( not for use inside). Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.