• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack weights: I just measured it

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For those of you concerned: I just prepacked and checked weight:

Backpack: 7.1 kgs.
Body belt 0.65 kgs.
Body clothes, incl. tough boots at 1.5 kgs: 2.2 kgs.

I feel I could run the Camino with these weights! :)

I have followed my fixed packing list almost to the last detail;

http://alexwalkercamino.blogspot.no/2014/04/attempt-of-packing-list.html#comment-form
Including drinkingwater in a camelbag ? ok see now on your list 2 small bottles of water.
Good result. Mine , an Osprey Atmos 50 weighs without water 6,8 kgs.
Ready to go at the end of this week to Ferrol for the camino Ingles .
Most extra weight unfortunately is because of raingear but we are in Galicia so will need it :-(
Buen camino have a good "run"

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alex, just one thing. What pack do you use?

I feel I could run the Camino with these weights!
Day 1: You really will feel that you can run.
Day 4: Feet, legs, and hips don't feel like running.
Day 7: Neck and shoulders don't feel like carrying a pack, much less running.
Day 14: Pack feels pretty good. Legs feel like they are enjoying it.
Day 30: You really will feel that you can run.

You don't keep the pack light for day one or day thirty; you do it for the ones in between!;)

What is a body belt?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Me and two other guys are doing it in a few days and none of our backpacks weigh less than 14kg. This should be fun.

Day 8 we struggled throughh the thick red Rioja mud after Ventosa. But it was a beautiful sunny day and after the "gym work" evry step felt as light as a feather and I actually did run down the long hill into Najera! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wauw, 650grams? I hope that is including the money :):D

On Alex's blog:

"Body belt:
Passport
iPhone (with maps, compass, GPS, Flashlight/SOS blinking light, Emergency WhatsApp +++)
Bank/Insurance/European Health - etc. cards
Euro Money (50% in my zipped trouser pocket, though)
Bank ID chip for emergency banking
Spanish language parlour"

Equip yourselves with post office addresses, so that you can mail some of it home!;)
We're travelling the rest of europe afterwards so I'm hoping we can mail some to the end. Either that or I might leave some at home with my mother and get her to send a box over once i'm settled!

Me and two other guys are doing it in a few days and none of our backpacks weigh less than 14kg. This should be fun.

I think i started out with about 10kg, but adding water and food and things like rolls of bisquits, salted peanuts ect you dont eat in one go, i probably carried around 12kg with me.

It was fine. No problem at all. About 16% of my body weight, but then i dont believe in the 10% "rule". It is the same as shoes. Make sure your comfortable with it and you will be fine.

I'm off in 11 days from porto. I will take about the same again this time.

Last edited:
Including drinkingwater in a camelbag ? ok see now on your list 2 small bottles of water.
Good result. Mine , an Osprey Atmos 50 weighs without water 6,8 kgs.
Ready to go at the end of this week to Ferrol for the camino Ingles .
Most extra weight unfortunately is because of raingear but we are in Galicia so will need it :-(
Buen camino have a good "run"

Albert,
You know I walked the Camino Ingles last week. Pack itself is 1.3 k. Content with the heavy Berghaus rainpants ( never needed it ) and the Milet sleepingbag 650 grams ( only needed it one time in albergue in Bruma , next time I will settle for a sea to summit liner of 250 grams ) was together 4.4 k. So if can save 400 gr.on the sleepingbag and leave the trouser of 350 gr.behind : 750 gr. saved. My most heavy item is my Mammut rainjacket and I'm going to change this for a more lightweight, lightly coloured jacket.
This 4.4 k. was without the daily water and some snacks. Only for the etapa to Bruma I took two litres of water. Other etapas just one liter and topped up at fuentes and bares.

EDIT : same content of bag be it for a short Camino or a longer one.

Last edited:
Wow you are brave, me thinks, but perhaps you are young and very strong. My suggestion and advice for you is to go through your pack once more. Lay it out on the floor. I weighed my pack 12 hours before my long flights. AND yes I did leave behind some more bits and pieces and you know what I never missed any of them. Total weight with the water was 6.5kg. Less is best. I commenced walking with a friend whose pack was like yours and sadly he dropped out after day 5.
Travel safely and enjoy. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow you are brave, me thinks, but perhaps you are young and very strong. My suggestion and advice for you is to go through your pack once more. Lay it out on the floor. I weighed my pack 12 hours before my long flights. AND yes I did leave behind some more bits and pieces and you know what I never missed any of them. Total weight with the water was 6.5kg. Less is best. I commenced walking with a friend whose pack was like yours and sadly he dropped out after day 5.
Travel safely and enjoy. Buen camino.
We're aged 23-25. The one guys been in the army so is used to carrying heavy weights over long distances. Me and the other guy like keeping fit but obviously nothing can prepare you for this. The thing that's making my bag heavy is my laptop which with all the chargers etc. adds about 4-5kg to the bag. I really need it as it will be my main source of income after the walk. Just depends on how I can get it to the end without having to carry it and keeping it safe. I've heard about the postal services but don't know how safe they are for carrying things like laptops. Any recommendations?

We're aged 23-25. The one guys been in the army so is used to carrying heavy weights over long distances. Me and the other guy like keeping fit but obviously nothing can prepare you for this. The thing that's making my bag heavy is my laptop which with all the chargers etc. adds about 4-5kg to the bag. I really need it as it will be my main source of income after the walk. Just depends on how I can get it to the end without having to carry it and keeping it safe. I've heard about the postal services but don't know how safe they are for carrying things like laptops. Any recommendations?

I think that you can also send your things to Ivar in Santiago, and let him store them for you for a "cool" friendly price.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We're aged 23-25. The one guys been in the army so is used to carrying heavy weights over long distances. ?

My two good friends, very fit ex-army, carried big heavy packs when younger, now in their 50s. One has had a total knee replacement, the other knee needs surgery, and the second friend needs a hip replacement. Veterans Affairs accepts these are caused by weight bearing activities in the army and is paying all medical costs.
You may well be able to do it, but is it a good idea?

Yes, the lighter your pack, the more comfortable your walk will be, but 14kg is nothing compared to army backpacks.
And young and fit guys should not have a big problem with the 14kg. Its only 5-6 weeks.
But again, i agree, the less weight you carry, the better it will feel.

I should be able to get rid of a few kg in my pack myself, i just choose not to. I dont like doing laundry, so i carry enough to go without washing for a few days, but still wear clean clothes in the morning and afternoon. Its all about choices.

But a full size laptop? Forget the weight (althoug 4-5kg is heavy), arent you afraid it will get damaged? Especially if you are dependent on it for income after the camino?

All this talk. I just had to recheck/repack reweigh my pack after reading it all. Still stuck with a pack weight of 5.7K plus water/food. That is if I am carrying my shell/ raincoat/ beanie and gloves in it. But then again I hate washing so go overboard on the chillax time and carry 3 spare sets of socks/liners/briefs/T shirts (never more than 3 days from a washer/dryer). ;) From experience I know I can carry this comfortably without realising it's there (after all I weight 95k).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Carry what you need (really need) only. 14K will be really hard work and you will be finding the first post office if not the first hospital!

Mine was 17kg plus water on the Salvador. I took full camping kit and was planning a couple of days diversion to climb Pena Ubina (didnt make it, ran out of time). Day 1 was hard going as was the last day. The middle days were ok. Hardest parts were stopping and starting where I was taking it off and on.

I'd done a lot of training to prepare and was fitter than I'd been for a while. Still, dont think I'd do it again.

14 kilos? No sweat! Just wait until you get stuck somewhere for 6 weeks with only the stuff in your pack and you will think differently about carrying nothing.

14 kilos? No sweat! Just wait until you get stuck somewhere for 6 weeks with only the stuff in your pack and you will think differently about carrying nothing.
xinloi, when you weigh your pack, I'd be interested to know what it weighs and what you packing list includes. Would you post those? I know you'll be leaving soon, so I'm curious about what you decide to take and what you decide to leave behind. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yes, but when in Spain, especially on the Camino Frances you are not in the middle of nowhere. You are in a first world country with practically every five k. a village with a small shop, a bar, a pharmacy, centro de salud and a bank. And every 100 k. a bigger city. Also on the Frances you are never more than one day away from buying food and drink ( although take some measures when walking in the weekend but that is basically all ).

Last edited:
I did the Camino last summer. I quickly found out I had too much stuff. Here is what I "donated" (left at an albergue) to fellow peregrinos along the way (hope they appreciated them ;) ):
-one pair of Levi's blue jeans (geez, I hated ditching those)
-one pair of cargo pants
-one leather belt
-one Columbia fleece jacket (hated ditching that, too)
-two pairs of socks
-four pairs of underwear (those went in a trash bin...didn't think anyone would be interested in my used skivvies)
-one long-sleeve collared shirt
Definitely some unnecessary stuff I had, but in my defense I walked the Camino straight from working an overseas job in Dubai and Afghanistan and those are things I had with me. I also did it without the benefit of a proper backpack and could only scrounge up a small, unframed military ruck designed for a soldier's 3-day combat load. I do not recommend that for the Camino, but I did not have the opportunity to go shopping at an outdoor store. I did not know you could arrive in St. Jean Pied de Port and buy everything there. Believe me, had I known that, one of the outdoor stores there would have made a couple of hundred euros off me.
If you are doing the Camino in the warmer months and your pack weighs more than 10-kilos, rethink what you are hauling and I can almost guarantee you there is stuff you can ditch. You really don't need that much stuff to do the Camino and I saw fellow pilgrims with packs that looked very light.
On a positive note, doing the Camino with that type of pack was very physically taxing (no hip-belt to take load off your shoulders, no frame and no ventilation between the pack and your back) and I lost about 10 kilos in body weight, and really strengthened my back and shoulders. Best shape I had been in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but when in Spain, especially on the Camino Frances you are not in the middle of nowhere. You are in a first world country with practically every five k. a village with a small shop, a bar, a pharmacy, centro de salud and a bank. And every 100 k. a bigger city. Also on the Frances you are never more than one day away from buying food and drink ( although take some measures when walking in the weekend but that is basically all ).

Very true. It is not a survival trek. There is always food and there is always drinking water. Like I have posted before on here, I saw some people practically skipping past me with bottles of wine and such hanging off their packs.
There was one woman I saw several times towards the end of the Camino. All she had on her back was a small pack. The kind a student carries book or a laptop in. And she would carry fruit and snacks with her in a plastic bag she carried by hand.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I leave on Friday 25 April, beginning my pilgrimage in Roncesvalles. I'm 7.716 kg skin out. I'm wearing 2.943 kg, and carrying 4.773 kg which includes my Osprey Hornet 32 pack. As you can tell, it's all been weighed on the kitchen scale! Water and food will be extra. I'm a 60-year-old woman worried about my knees and feet, but I can't do any better than this. As it is, I'll be the one begging for a squirt of moisturiser at the albergue. Buen Camino!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting a bit more worried as the date draws closer (fly to toulouse in 2 days) but I think I'll be ok. I've had a look at that ivars service and think it looks like a really good idea, I will definately look into it.

As for being in great shape. That's what I'm hoping the walk helps me with. I'm in good shape now but if the walk were to strengthen my legs shoulders and back that would be great! Hoping to do a summer season in benalmadena after the walks completed so being in shape is going to help me a lot there ;D

I also did it without the benefit of a proper backpack and could only scrounge up a small, unframed military ruck designed for a soldier's 3-day combat load. quote]

Something like an Attack pack, with MOLLE system?

Last edited:
I have stopped weighing my backpack. I do not either believe in the 10% rule. I pack what I know I will need on a camino for some weeks and start walking! Some years ago I might buy new equipment because it weighed a litte less and ended up with a lot of things I do not need. It is a bit crazy, so I do not weigh anything anymore.

Yes, Diogo92, one of those.

Saw a guy doing the Camino with one of those this year. But he kepted it on a very low weight. Well, he was sleeping in Hotels, so I think that it answers the question :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have stopped weighing my backpack. I do not either believe in the 10% rule. I pack what I know I will need on a camino for some weeks and start walking! Some years ago I might buy new equipment because it weighed a litte less and ended up with a lot of things I do not need. It is a bit crazy, so I do not weigh anything anymore.
Think that's the way i'm going to go about it! This forum just tends to worry me sometimes about how into detail people go with weighing their packs!

I approached this differently at the last minute. I weighed myself right out of an early morning shower before consuming anything. I am sooo depressed! :eek:

The bad news is that I weighed 248 pounds or about 112 kilos. I am going to need to lose some significant weight on this Camino. The GOOD news is that 10 percent of this body weight is, 24.8 pounds or 11-12 Kilos.:)

The better news is that, after repacking my rucksack twice, and using a luggage scale to hang it, it appears to weigh 22 pounds, or 10 kilos without water or snacks. So, I figure that, with the "last minute gremlins" that sneak into the rucksack, I should come in under the mystical 10 percent of my naked body weight figure.

This said, I must state for the record that last year, on my first Camino, I started from St. Jean carrying 16 Kg. using the time tested "just winging it" method... a BIG mistake in judgment. By the time I made it to Burgos, this was reduced to 12 kilos courtesy of two postal mailings. When I returned home, the rucksack weighed 11 kilos. So I must have learned a lesson or two.:cool:

I am not even going into the entire "from the skin out" movement (FSO). I know from weighing the individual components of my planned attire and what will be in my pockets, that my "worn weight" from skin to rucksack straps is about 7 kilos. however, I disagree that this should be part of the 10 percent number that everyone bandies about as though it were the Holy Grail.

Those of you out there with petite figures, and low body weights are fortunate that your clothing, and related stuff is both smaller and lighter. Every gram adds up. So, those of us "stouter folk" are operating at a handicap. Much of our stuff is concomitantly heavier. So, I think this year, will be better. That's the plan anyway. ;)

I meet up with Alex Walker in St. Jean next Saturday. We are going to walk an "mature men's' Camino." We figure that Saint James is not going anywhere and will be there when we arrive. This year, no beard...for me at least.;)

Albert,
You know I walked the Camino Ingles last week. Pack itself is 1.3 k. Content with the heavy Berghaus rainpants ( never needed it ) and the Milet sleepingbag 650 grams ( only needed it one time in albergue in Bruma , next time I will settle for a sea to summit liner of 250 grams ) was together 4.4 k. So if can save 400 gr.on the sleepingbag and leave the trouser of 350 gr.behind : 750 gr. saved. My most heavy item is my Mammut rainjacket and I'm going to change this for a more lightweight, lightly coloured jacket.
This 4.4 k. was without the daily water and some snacks. Only for the etapa to Bruma I took two litres of water. Other etapas just one liter and topped up at fuentes and bares.

EDIT : same content of bag be it for a short Camino or a longer one.
SabineP,
Can you give us a list of your bad contents? It would be greatly appreciated.
Stefania

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Stefania,

I would certainly leave the raintrouser at home next time. They breathe badly. I have a semi water repellent old North Face raintrouser and it dries really quickly as it is.
Depending on how long your Camino and the percentage of sleeping in albergues ( like mine last week on the Ingles, only six nights and just one in an albergue ) you could leave your sleepingbag at home and go for a liner. But that depends on what season you will walk.
I would also take less first aid kit with me, again when walking the Frances ( or even the Ingles ) you will find enough pharmacies to stock up when necessary.
Not that heavy but bulky in the pack : the Crocs clogs for the evening. Might try out something as light next time but less bulky.
And my cellphone has a headlamp feature so I left my bulky little headlamp at home.
I could have left my Samsung small tablet at home but I used it for my blog and reading my Kindlebooks.

Last edited:
And my cellphone has a headlamp feature so I left my bulky little headlamp at home.

That is brilliant! I had not even thought about not taking a flashlight and just using your cell phone! If you don't plan to walk before dawn, this is perfect and eliminates a spare battery also.

Great idea!
Thanks.

Rambler

Saw a guy doing the Camino with one of those this year. But he kepted it on a very low weight. Well, he was sleeping in Hotels, so I think that it answers the question :p

I would not do it again with one, especially since there are so many good commercially made backpacks out there and most are reasonably priced. One downside to the lack of ventilation between the pack I used and my body it that the pack absorbed the perspiration off my back (July-August in Spain was a bit warm and sunny ;)) and after a few days of that, well it would smell funky and I had to unload it every couple of days and wash it off just so I could stand it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would not do it again with one, especially since there are so many good commercially made backpacks out there and most are reasonably priced. One downside to the lack of ventilation between the pack I used and my body it that the pack absorbed the perspiration off my back (July-August in Spain was a bit warm and sunny ;)) and after a few days of that, well it would smell funky and I had to unload it every couple of days and wash it off just so I could stand it.

I don't know which one you had, and where you bought it, but the problem with the 3 days Attack packs, is that they are made to be used in combination with a MOLLE vest system. But, the manufacturer of the pack itself also influences this. The padded mesh parts from the cheapest ones (like 15 to 20$), compared with the models from companies like 5.11 Tactical (that go from 50$ up), have no possibility to be compared.

I own a Quechua 20XC, that has the same mesh system has the ones from 5.11 Tactical, and you just have to let it catch some air, and it's good to go.

What is a body belt?

It is a waist belt for valuables. I always keep it on me, and in addition, it follows me into my sleeping bag every night. Only thing allowed in there with me :D Never leave it out of sight. It contains, as you can see, phone, money, card, passport etc. Total 650 grams.

IMG_0090[1].JPG

In additon, I have a laminated copy of passport and driver's licence, as well as proof of citizenship.
I also have laminated sheets of the CF profile which includes distances, places, sleeping options, etc. You can make your own here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

IMG_0092[1].JPG

Last edited:
As it is, I'll be the one begging for a squirt of moisturiser at the albergue. Buen Camino!

Alice, you are doing well. As you won't be wasting money you can afford to give yourself a treat along the way; stop somewhere for a trip to the beautician and/or hairdresser. It will make you feel fabulous! It is such a contrast to weeks of minimalism.

It is a waist belt for valuables. I always keep it on me, and in addition, it follows me into my sleeping bag every night. Only thing allowed in there with me :D Never leave it out of sight. It contains, as you can see, phone, money, card, passport etc. Total 650 grams.

View attachment 9327

In additon, I have a laminated copy of passport and driver's licence, as well as proof of citizenship.
I also have laminated sheets of the CF profile which includes distances, places, sleeping options, etc. You can make your own here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

View attachment 9329

Oww, a fanny pack. Now i get it :)

Looks like an annoying thing to have on your body, i never really get why people want this this on their hips, but if you think its handy... It doesnt sit in the way of your backpack?

I just have trousers with lots of zipper pockets. Works just great for me ;-)

That is brilliant! I had not even thought about not taking a flashlight and just using your cell phone! If you don't plan to walk before dawn, this is perfect and eliminates a spare battery also.

Great idea!
Thanks.

Rambler
True.
But with a headlamp you can use your both hands. And no worries about that "smart gadget" falling on the ground ;)

I think i started out with about 10kg, but adding water and food and things like rolls of bisquits, salted peanuts ect you dont eat in one go, i probably carried around 12kg with me.

It was fine. No problem at all. About 16% of my body weight, but then i dont believe in the 10% "rule". It is the same as shoes. Make sure your comfortable with it and you will be fine.

I'm off in 11 days from porto. I will take about the same again this time.
Buen Camino!

Each to their own... I hate walking with trousers with pockets and things jingling about... I also have such a waist pouch and it carries 2 water bottles as well, at easy reach. Walk in fitted knee-length running pants, tech fibre, no pockets. In the pouch goes passport, money, valuables and my very important Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which offers all of the following: camera (16megapixel), big enough for blogging, have to answer emails, or I can't take the time off work, really bright torch, kindle on there, music, maps, GPS, guide book, Spanish translator, skype/viber/whatsapp to keep in touch with my daughter... and phone, best device on the market.
Walking in July, so peak of summer which suits me fine as I live in Thailand and I'm currently doing 12km most days at 8:00am and my Samsung is telling me it's 36C already, so I'm fine with the heat!
What's great about the pouch is that everything you need for the evenings is in there, so can leave backpack and go out with that, and it's easy to take to the shower and also put into your sleeping back at night.

Each to their own... I hate walking with trousers with pockets and things jingling about... I also have such a waist pouch and it carries 2 water bottles as well, at easy reach. Walk in fitted knee-length running pants, tech fibre, no pockets. In the pouch goes passport, money, valuables and my very important Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which offers all of the following: camera (16megapixel), big enough for blogging, have to answer emails, or I can't take the time off work, really bright torch, kindle on there, music, maps, GPS, guide book, Spanish translator, skype/viber/whatsapp to keep in touch with my daughter... and phone, best device on the market.
Walking in July, so peak of summer which suits me fine as I live in Thailand and I'm currently doing 12km most days at 8:00am and my Samsung is telling me it's 36C already, so I'm fine with the heat!
What's great about the pouch is that everything you need for the evenings is in there, so can leave backpack and go out with that, and it's easy to take to the shower and also put into your sleeping back at night.

Aaaah I don't know how I'm gonna do with this. Since I'll be cycling I wanted to use a steering-bag for the important stuff. I was sneering at my companion who's going with the fanny pack. But yes, being able to grab the fanny pack in the evening when going out or cuddling up with it in the sleeping bag surely makes a good point. I guess I'll reconsider.

Pbusilla---xinloi, when you weigh your pack, I'd be interested to know what it weighs and what you packing list includes

3 weeks to go and still experimenting. Walking everyday with 30 pounds of sand in various backpacks and it is NOT heavy IF I use the right pack. Use the wrong pack and it does get heavy going up hills . Depends on fit. And as always, anything that is special does not weight anything, e.g. 8 ounce jar of Peanut butter weighs 0.0 grams if that is your daily treat.
Still wondering why people carry anything at all if they are worried about weight. Believe Shirley McLain walked the Camino with one pair of spare sox and one spare pair of underwear. Several web sites talk of meeting walkers carrying NOTHING. After all it is only a walk for a couple weeks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hate walking with trousers with pockets and things jingling about

Those "Cargo Pockets" are not on your pants to carry things in while walking. They have a distinct military purpose and filling them with junk and going for a walk is not pleasant.

I have a belt with a zipper inside. I keep "safety" money in there. My Passport, credential, debit card and insurance card (all in a ziplock) go in a leg pocket. A small purse keeps my every day money in it goes into a trouser pocket, my phone in the other zipped one. I have a travel bag which hangs up in the shower. It has zip waterproof pockets for all of the about plus my specs and toiletries. I use two dry bags - one for the dirty clothes and one for the clean ones. All in the shower with me. At night the belt, ziplock, purse, phone and specs go in a dry bag under my pillow (which is in the pillowcase of my bag liner). Simple, effective - job done. Yes the travel bag is a little extra weight, but for the huge convenience it offers it is a small price I am prepared to pay.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
. At night the belt, ziplock, purse, phone and specs go in a dry bag under my pillow (which is in the pillowcase of my bag liner). Simple, effective - job done. Yes the travel bag is a little extra weight, but for the huge convenience it offers it is a small price I am prepared to pay.
I took to sleeping with those "essentials" at the bottom of my sleeping bag and yes like you Al they went with me to the shower. Gee I wish we could trust of fellow pilgrims - or else feed the bad ones to the pigs!! (maybe?)

True.
But with a headlamp you can use your both hands. And no worries about that "smart gadget" falling on the ground ;)
hard-plastic-belt-clip-holster-stand-holder.jpg
Get one of these and you can connect it to your shirt and have your hands free. But it probably weighs more than a headlamp...
;(
Rambler

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hard-plastic-belt-clip-holster-stand-holder.jpg
Get one of these and you can connect it to your shirt and have your hands free. But it probably weighs more than a headlamp...
;(
Rambler
Only weighs more than a headlamp it you consider it as a stand alone item, but the fact that it's a phone, GPS, e-reader, guide book, camera, and can email, surf the web, skype and a lot more makes it a lot lighter if you have to add all those things together. Also don't have to print out tickets, itineraries etc, as can save all to the phone's documents section.

Believe Shirley McLain walked the Camino with one pair of spare sox and one spare pair of underwear. Several web sites talk of meeting walkers carrying NOTHING. After all it is only a walk for a couple weeks.

Did you really saw her doing it? :)

I can also go in Summer with half the things that I usually take. But hey, it's Summer, not late Winter/Early Spring.

Last edited:
I have a belt with a zipper inside. I keep "safety" money in there. My Passport, credential, debit card and insurance card (all in a ziplock) go in a leg pocket. A small purse keeps my every day money in it goes into a trouser pocket, my phone in the other zipped one. I have a travel bag which hangs up in the shower. It has zip waterproof pockets for all of the about plus my specs and toiletries. I use two dry bags - one for the dirty clothes and one for the clean ones. All in the shower with me. At night the belt, ziplock, purse, phone and specs go in a dry bag under my pillow (which is in the pillowcase of my bag liner). Simple, effective - job done. Yes the travel bag is a little extra weight, but for the huge convenience it offers it is a small price I am prepared to pay.

So funny that we are all sharing out "secrets" on a public forum hahaha:D

Anybody feel the need to share their pinnumber as well? ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dutch, I think the only thing that might be a secret is the belt. I would not like to be the person who tries to take it off me even though it isn't my black one (if you get my drift).:)

Only weighs more than a headlamp it you consider it as a stand alone item, but the fact that it's a phone, GPS, e-reader, guide book, camera, and can email, surf the web, skype and a lot more makes it a lot lighter if you have to add all those things together. Also don't have to print out tickets, itineraries etc, as can save all to the phone's documents section.

And when it gets stolen or broken or forgotten or....., anyway, without it you would have - what? ;)
Well, your backpack and your Camino, that's for sure!

Cum grano salis!

Nothing much added to my packing list, but I have put my Army walking boots in the backpack when traveling: They have metal hooks for the laces as well as steel bands in their soles, so I would need to take them off in front of metal detectors, so I'll go in my plastic crocs.

Just saved a few grams by clipping my toe nails... ;)

Will trim beard, but wait till tomorrow morning. A couple more grams... ;)

Ahhh: Two items added: Wine bottle opener and plastic wine glass (weighs nothing) a true necessity on The Way, don't you think? ;)

Vinglass.jpg

Nothing much added to my packing list, but I have put my Army walking boots in the backpack when traveling: They have metal hooks for the laces as well as steel bands in their soles, so I would need to take them off in front of metal detectors, so I'll go in my plastic crocs.

Just saved a few grams by clipping my toe nails... ;)

Will trim beard, but wait till tomorrow morning. A couple more grams... ;)

Ahhh: Two items added: Wine bottle opener and plastic wine glass (weighs nothing) a true necessity on The Way, don't you think? ;)

View attachment 9345

Alex, I wanted to ask you, what is the model of your army boots? Are they in Cordura?

About the glass, take a fold'a'cup ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Old Norw. Army boots: I suppose they are an American model.

Fold'a'cup must be SEVERAL grams heavier than my ROYAL style plastic!!!:D

Old Norw. Army boots: I suppose they are an American model.

Fold'a'cup must be SEVERAL grams heavier than my ROYAL style plastic!!!:D

I wanted to buy a pair of Panama boots (the same used by US soldiers on Vietnam), but it seems that my number it's sold out everywhere :mad:

Why don't you try to weight both? :p

Diego; Boots are about 1.5 kgs._ Worth every gram! these are serious business boots. People use to laugh at me, but they are mostly left behind in the long run...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wanted to buy a pair of Panama boots (the same used by US soldiers on Vietnam), but it seems that my number it's sold out everywhere :mad:

Why don't you try to weight both? :p

I used to wear those green upper Panama sole jungle boots when I was in the military, they were light, but they had a hard compound sole, they looked cool, but they were horrible for long distance forced marches.
I'd rather wear the modern desert boots than those jungle boots.

I used to wear those green upper Panama sole jungle boots when I was in the military, they were light, but they had a hard compound sole, they looked cool, but they were horrible for long distance forced marches.

I've tried the Panamas, and for what I know, they updated it a little bit.

I'll try to check out the desert ones. I was talking about the Panama boots, but nor for the Camino ;)

Yes, I had experience with the "jungle type" boots as well when I was in the military as well. They had a steel shank in them to protect the feet and as mentioned a hard rubber sole. Almost no cushioning. Most you see on the market these days are not real military surplus/issue, but instead lower quality knock-offs as the military stopped issuing the jungle boots years ago.
The current issue military boots are far superior to anything issued before. More cushioning and comfort for sure. I managed to scrounge up a pair of the boots in my size from some Marines while I was working overseas in Afghanistan. Waaay better than the one the Marines issued to me when I was in.

If you buy "Jungle Boots" make sure you do NOT buy the ones with Vigram soles. The better US Army Jungle boots have the wide diagonal slots across the soles that just squish the mud out the sides. Vigram soles are worthless on any boot--just get packed with mud. Also the steel plate in the sole of the Jungle Boot is there to stop Pungi stakes from piercing your foot.

And when it gets stolen or broken or forgotten or....., anyway, without it you would have - what? ;)
Well, your backpack and your Camino, that's for sure!

Cum grano salis!
Things only get lost, broken or stolen when not looked after... just saying! It goes in a waist pouch, so little chance of that, and all info automatically updates to the cloud whenever you're near a wifi, even the photos, so they can't get lost! I can't think of a single thing I've ever 'lost' and the only time an item was stolen was when my home was broken in to when I wasn't there... look after your things, and I don't see the problem! My husband on the other hand has lost more phones, sunglasses and car keys than I care to remember, so perhaps it's a personal thing...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you buy "Jungle Boots" make sure you do NOT buy the ones with Vigram soles. The better US Army Jungle boots have the wide diagonal slots across the soles that just squish the mud out the sides. Vigram soles are worthless on any boot--just get packed with mud. Also the steel plate in the sole of the Jungle Boot is there to stop Pungi stakes from piercing your foot.

VIBRAM soles are some of the best soles that you can get. Great grip, don't slip on portuguese coblestone. All my walking shoes have them, and I don't have any problems with mud o_O

Diago--perhaps your Vibram soles are softer material that grips rocks and does not hold mud. Boots in US with Vibram soles generally use a hard material that slips on hard surfaces but yet manages to hold mud in wet conditions. I have several pair of hunting boots with Vibram soles and generally only wear them in nice weather.

Why even bother about pack weight when you can have your pack hauled to the next stop? From what I see quoted on various web sites, it is much cheaper to pay for daily luggage transfers than to buy a superlite expensive backpack. Don't see any weight limit on transfers so perhaps we should see who can travel with the heaviest load? Do they still sell portable porcelain bathtubs that can be carried by porters?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why even bother about pack weight when you can have your pack hauled to the next stop? From what I see quoted on various web sites, it is much cheaper to pay for daily luggage transfers than to buy a superlite expensive backpack. Don't see any weight limit on transfers so perhaps we should see who can travel with the heaviest load? Do they still sell portable porcelain bathtubs that can be carried by porters?

We got close to that for a week in France on the Le Puy. A friend who had intended merely having a night with us decided to walk instead. He didn't have a pack, just a huge bag/trunk filled with about 6 months worth of gear. He got it transported from Gite to Gite. It is a wonder there was no excess weight charge. I felt very sorry for the person who had to load and unload it each day.

Just measured my pack and dead on ten pounds. Though my two water containers are empty and no lunch pack. Absolute bliss especially when compared with the 60 pound dry weight I started the Bibbilumn track in Australia last year.
All of you enjoy your Camino no matter what you carry :)

So, leaving in 10 days and I have just weighed my very full backpack (25 + 5 Litre). I weigh 55.5 kilo and my backpack total weight is 6.8 kilo so I would appreciate if someone can tell me the best way to put on 12.5 figure in 10 days so won't have a problem with the weight! Otherwise I need to reduce by 1.3 kilo :(. Would anyone recommend I leave my sleeping bag liner or my sleeping bag at home?

So, leaving in 10 days and I have just weighed my very full backpack (25 + 5 Litre). I weigh 55.5 kilo and my backpack total weight is 6.8 kilo so I would appreciate if someone can tell me the best way to put on 12.5 figure in 10 days so won't have a problem with the weight! Otherwise I need to reduce by 1.3 kilo :(. Would anyone recommend I leave my sleeping bag liner or my sleeping bag at home?
Get rid of one of them for sure!

I prescribe a diet of churros and chocolate. That way the extra layer of blubber will not only get you to the required weight but will keep you warm so you won't need the sleeping bag liner and sleeping bag.

Check out vids on Youtube. Many vids show people sleeping on floors using pads and sleeping bags. Nothing is better than a good nights sleep before walking! I'm taking both...and my travel Iron. If your pack is heavy, there are vans that will haul your ruck. Unlike Europeans, I can't just walk back home to get something that I did not pack.

Check out vids on Youtube. Many vids show people sleeping on floors using pads and sleeping bags. Nothing is better than a good nights sleep before walking! I'm taking both...and my travel Iron. If your pack is heavy, there are vans that will haul your ruck. Unlike Europeans, I can't just walk back home to get something that I did not pack.

Iron? Iron? What are you thinking of?!

Don't get too obsessed with this 10% "rule". It is not a rule set in stone, it is nothing more then a guideline some people wish to use. Your 6,8kg is perfect. Really it is. No need to change anythimg imho. Did you wear it? Was it comfortable enough? Thats whats important.
If you really feel it is to heavy while walking, you can always throw stuff out, send it home, send it ahead to SdC, but once more, 6,8kg is a very good weight.

Last edited:
Check out vids on Youtube. Many vids show people sleeping on floors using pads and sleeping bags. Unlike Europeans, I can't just walk back home to get something that I did not pack.

I have walked 7 caminos. Three times from SJPDP to Santiago. Twice the Le Puy. Once the Arles (a variant), once from Orléans. In total about 250 nights. In 2004, a Holy Year when St James' Feast Day fell on a Sunday (the next one is in 2021), I walked into Santiago on the Friday night. So, an exceptional time, extraordinarily busy, completely different to when you will be walking. The 3 nights before that, between Sarria and Santiago, I had to use a mat on the floor (the Army put up tents and the local schools opened their gymnasiums).

That is the only time I have ever had to use a mat. 3 nights out of 250.

Do yourself a favour - don't take what you can do without.

If you need something, anything, you can buy it in Spain. Except maybe Vegemite.

Seriously, travel Iron? I hope your clothes aren't tech wick as they don't iron too well.

A travel iron? Whats that? Or is it what i think it is, to iron your clothes?

Iron is small with collapsible handle--Firm believer in Old Biblical saying, "It is better to look good than to be good". Don't know how it is in Europe but in Latin America where I spend a lot of time, backpackers are called Eurotrash as they generally look like a walking pile of wrinkles. People in Latin America take pride in how they look and expect guests in their country to also appear clean and presentable. Not that concerned about weight, e.g. going out to cut some firewood all day and my steel toed boots and chainsaw together weight much more than my backpack weights.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I sure did meet some latin americans on my camino and by your definition they looked more like eurotrash (and like me), then by the "better look good, than be good" rule. What an awfull saying by the way.

Like I have posted before, you don't really need that much gear to do the Camino in the warmer months. You could literally walk it with two sets of clothes (shirts, shorts or pants, socks and underwear), a pair of sandals, a towel, a hat and toiletries and some light rain wear. All that would weigh less than 8 kilos.
It's not a technical hike. It's nothing like any forced march (hump) I did in the military and facilities and restaurants and shops and cafes are pretty much always an hour's walk away.
I never saw anybody sleeping on the bare ground in any of the albergues I stayed in. The people that ran the albergue would fetch extra mattresses to put on the ground in the event of an overflow of peregrinos. So personally I never saw the need for a ground pad. Heck, I didn't even carry a sleeping bag or liner.
Believe me. The lighter your pack, the lighter your mood. :cool:

Iron is small with collapsible handle--Firm believer in Old Biblical saying, "It is better to look good than to be good". Don't know how it is in Europe but in Latin America where I spend a lot of time, backpackers are called Eurotrash as they generally look like a walking pile of wrinkles. People in Latin America take pride in how they look and expect guests in their country to also appear clean and presentable. Not that concerned about weight, e.g. going out to cut some firewood all day and my steel toed boots and chainsaw together weight much more than my backpack weights.
Xin Loi, you are a character! I have read many of your posts on different threads, and I never quite know when to take you seriously and when to just smile and nod. Often I find myself tilting my head to the side and saying, "Hmmmm, now there is one interesting character."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a hoot! Hope to see the chainsaw and steel capped boots on Camino.
Seriously? If so I'd say that "looking good" rather than "being good" is definitely not a worthy aspiration for a pilgrim.
A wrinkle free pilgrim is an oxymoron.

I like looking like an unmade bed. It shows that I take my travels seriously.

Nothing carried on the Camino is ever truly clean or dry or tidy; reality is a gradation of grey and damp and mess! The height of camino chic is socks that match.
On the CF in 2010, I realised that it was easy to distinguish between the long distance pilgrims and those that had joined at Sarria. The latter were bright, smelt of scent, and their faces and bodies looked soft. Long distance pilgrims were grey, didn't smell of anything, and looked hard. Four weeks of washing by hand using ordinary soap without any of the florescent additives found in laundry detergents will leave any clothing looking dull even when it is clean.

6.8 kilo should be fine if you're fine with the weight. 10% is a rule of thumb, not an absolute, and <7kg is still quite reasonable. If you can reasonably lighten your load, great, but I wouldn't stress myself over 1.3 kg.

Last edited:
Today I learned my lesson...I should have payed closer attention to you veteran walkers and all your advice regarding ruthlessly paring down the pack weight.

I walked 19.3 kilometers with an elevation gain of 434.8 meters wearing a 6.4 kilo pack (inclusive of 3.5 liters of water - no refills along the route). By kilometer 11.27, I had decided to replace my 820-gram sleeping bag with a 170-gram silk liner and to eliminate a 297.67 gram long-sleeve shirt. By kilometer 14, the 552-gram Tevas as alternate hiking shoes/evening shoes were mentally tossed out the window in favor of a 302-gram pair of Croc-like shoes. Oh, and by the end of the trail, I'd decided to return the 46-liter, 1.5-kilo pack and keep the 36-liter, 1.27 kilo pack.

The thing is, carrying that weight was "do-able" but I realized I had no desire to "do" it.

Thank goodness it was a practice run. I'm a believer.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.