• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packable Fleece

Jim McMurtrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April-May 2018
Frances September-October 2019
Is there such a thing? I've decided that my April 10 start requires a fleece or something like that. I haven't bee able to find one that compressed adequately. Suggestions?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You might want to consider a fleece sweater and a wind breaker which could make things more manageable as you'll be wearing the sweater more than it'll be in the pack. But, if you're considering a jacket, I'm happy with my Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. Folds into a ziplock bag and is light.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmm.. I’d say any fleece is packable. You should think in layers: Base layer, merino or tech fabric. Middle layer, (micro) fleece or ski-pull. Outer layer, windbreaker/water tight jacket.

Indeed just packed my hoodyfleece in a ziplock back ...next to my credencial.Not that bigger.

Attachments

• 20171113_182352.jpg
    20171113_182352.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
LLBean ( awesome company with a flagship store in Freeport, ME and great mail order service) sells a wonderful jacket they call "850 Down Sweater". Check it out. It weighs 10 ounces and folds into its pocket. I wore it a lot on my Camino last spring.

Francine

Last edited:
The digital kitchen scale is your friend here. Generally speaking, down-filled will be lighter weight than fleece. Unless you're trying a Camino with a tiny (<25L) pack, compressibility isn't really a distinguishing factor.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mine also folds back into its pocket. I have the older model and it's lighter, 270 g
https://www.rohan.co.uk/womens-trav...-Microrib-Stowaway-Jacket-aw15?ocode=03978J07
Doesn't have a hood though.
Mine is also the older style. I always check out the Souk section of Rohan, or the sales for a bargain. Older colours are often available, but not the older lighter style sadly.

The ladies' version has an internal pocket the men's has an external. We both wear the ladies one just buying Terry a larger size because basically otherwise they are unisex.

I do carry a marmot fleece that is very light weight. We walk the Winter time on the Camino and I never did carry a jacket. I had my fleece and a long sleeve merino shirt Plus my rain jacket that kept me sufficiently warm when the temperatures were down in the mid twentys until it warmed up to the high thirties in the day Usually by the end of the day I had shed my fleece and just was wearing my long sleeve merino under my rain jacket

€149,-
I backpack/section hike a lot in the Appalachian and Blue Ridge mountains so already have a lot of packable (stuffs into own pocket) type clothing. Im going in April as well and taking my Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. It’s a 800 down filled puffy jacket that packs (stuffs) into one of the side hand pockets. It weighs 7.2 oz (203 grams), has a hood (they also make a hoodless version), and stuffed dimensions are about 7 inches by 4 inches. The men’s version might pack out a little bigger but not much. It’s very deceiving, it looks and feels paper thin, but is extremely warm while hiking never been cold while wearing it. They are pricey but if u do a lot of hiking or overnight backpacking it’s worth the weight/warmth/price/comression ratio to me anyway. It’s water resistant but not water proof. If raining I’ll wear my wind/rain jacket (MH Ghost Lite) over top which also packs (stuffs) into its own pocket about 3 inches by 3 inches and weighs 3 ounces (85grams) again men’s version might pack out a little bigger.

Down can't be beat for warmth/weight/packability, but it is expensive and unless it's one of the newer treated types, it loses its insulation value when wet--so always have a waterproof shell handy if you're wearing down. I found a really super down sweater with hood at an overstock store for less than US$30 that's become my favorite layering item. As an alternative, a lightweight microfleece shirt can do double duty as a warm shirt for evening wear on the Camino and as a layering garment with a rain shell on those cool, damp mornings in Galicia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use a full zip marino fleece, nice and lightweight packs down small and is a good layer, expensive but in my view worth it.

I don't hike with fleece. It's too heavy. I carried an REI synthetic jacket similar to the Patagonia Nano Puff. They are insulating and wind resistant. Pack down very small and weigh less than heavy fleece jackets. I wear mine with just a light wool long sleeve sweater in temps down to 35 degrees and I'm comfortable standing around. Layering is the key.
As others have said, Down is expensive and once wet you are screwed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I backpack/section hike a lot in the Appalachian and Blue Ridge mountains so already have a lot of packable (stuffs into own pocket) type clothing. Im going in April as well and taking my Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. It’s a 800 down filled puffy jacket that packs (stuffs) into one of the side hand pockets. It weighs 7.2 oz (203 grams), has a hood (they also make a hoodless version), and stuffed dimensions are about 7 inches by 4 inches. The men’s version might pack out a little bigger but not much. It’s very deceiving, it looks and feels paper thin, but is extremely warm while hiking never been cold while wearing it. They are pricey but if u do a lot of hiking or overnight backpacking it’s worth the weight/warmth/price/comression ratio to me anyway. It’s water resistant but not water proof. If raining I’ll wear my wind/rain jacket (MH Ghost Lite) over top which also packs (stuffs) into its own pocket about 3 inches by 3 inches and weighs 3 ounces (85grams) again men’s version might pack out a little bigger.
Hi Kari, I was interested in the Ghost Lite because it is sooo light but when I looked it up it is labeled ‘weather resistant’. Is it waterproof in the sometimes all day torrential rain that can happen in Spain?
Thanks
H

Hi Kari, I was interested in the Ghost Lite because it is sooo light but when I looked it up it is labeled ‘weather resistant’. Is it waterproof in the sometimes all day torrential rain that can happen in Spain?
Thanks
H
Hi Heda, I’ve had no problems with the Ghost Lite in hard rains along the AT. But for comparison the AT is very well covered (national forest) except above tree line on ridges where I’ve encountered some pretty nasty storms and it held up great and kept me and my down puffy dry maybe 2 hours before I was back under tree line.
With that in mind the Camino is very wide open (not a lot of tree cover) so hours on end in a severe downpour it will prob leak thru eventually but in those conditions I think any rain gear would including gortex.
To be on safe side and to ensure my puffy stays dry I might pair it with either a marmot rain jacket (gortex) or Outdoor Research Helium II. I don’t own the helium so can’t comment to their effectiveness but their advertised as 100% waterproof, packable and 5.5oz.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is there such a thing? I've decided that my April 10 start requires a fleece or something like that. I haven't bee able to find one that compressed adequately. Suggestions?

Check out either or both Craghoppers and / or Regatta Great Outdoors. I swear by both and own several 1/4 zipper pullovers and a Regatta Great Outdoors rain jacket which I purchased in SJPdP Summer 2016.

Both together have been tested to 5 deg C and work fine to keep me warm as lonhg as I continue moving. Any warmer clothing would cause sweating but at least the pullover would wick moisture away from your skin and keep you warmer, even if wet, though it effectiveness diminishes. Any sweater or jacket / coat will do that.

If you have a raincoat, which presumably you will, then down has no disadvantages. I don't stuff it in its pocket; I load my pack and then shove the jacket down to fill up any empty spaces on the sides. I do the same with my rain jacket and they are easy to pull out when needed. Down is comfortable in a wider temperature range than fleece or other synthetics.

€149,-
My system is 1. long sleeve silk/merino mix (both in winter and summer) 2. merino sweater or cardigan 3. Patagonia Houdini jacket (light and windproof) 4. Altus poncho.
kanga, is this what you wear when walking in winter? where do you buy items 1 and 2? i.e. what brand? luckily i already have 3 and 4.

@katie@camino I buy the silk/merino mix from a mob in NZ called Silk Body. Expensive, but justified if you are going to do a few caminos. The merino cardigan is an old DJ's own brand one. It now has a few darn patches. But any merino will do. Including Aldi @gerardcarey !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.