• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

packing a knife

frmikeminn

I'd like to bring a small knife on the Camino and yet I'd rather keep my pack with me on the plane. Obviously, not going to work! Anyone find a good alternative or is it just easier to check the pack?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
frmikeminn said:
Anyone find a good alternative or is it just easier to check the pack?

I checked my pack, since in the US anything that even looks harmful is verboten. I brought along a Leatherman Micro, which proved to be quite useful (especially the scissors). The only thing it lacked was a corkscrew... :arrow:

I just read another thread in the equipment discussion and got a good answer. I'm thinking of a small package to check and bring the pack with me. last time I put the pack in a luggage pack made for a backpack. the only challenge was then sending the luggage pack to Santiago. it worked but took me a couple of days to figure out how to do that. The post office did not have boxes to purchase so I had to go looking and the find tape...etc. you get the idea.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took a Leatherman Micro too, and a flashlight about that size, which were connected by a ring.

Knife came in handy cutting bread, cheese and sausage, etc., for breakfast and lunch. Opening pacagages, too. The torch came in handy at various times, usually night and while it was dark. Cast just enough light for me/us to see, to get to where we needed to go.

Checked them both in my pack, which was inside a cheap light duffle bag that kept the straps contained and bag also contained our walking poles, and misc. other items.

Jerry

the issue is not whether a knife or anything else is necessary, for me the Camino is a spiritual experience and having a few nice things with you that make the experience a bit more enjoyable is a good thing. Last time I was mostly in pain and I did find God present in the pain. I had a mystical experience connected with one of the most difficult days of the trip but, that said, I'd like to find the God of joy and gladness a bit more on this trip. Reading a good book while standing in a public square in Ponferrada, being present to a wonder of a cathedral in Leon, a field of red poppies along a country road, watching an elderly woman being helped to a park bench by her daughter, talking to German youth on a week long adventure along the Camino. That strange liquor from the top shelf of a restaurant in who knows where... (a few Spanish pilgrims bought us a bit of it just to see if we Americans would drink it... we did) That is the Camino for me and if my feet hurt to much to go outside or if... oh, you get the point. enough said. going shopping.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At camino workshops I joke about sending my 'weapons of mass destruction' into the hold while I hang onto my precious backpack in the cabin.
I use a postal tube which holds my trekking poles - one a nice Hi-Tec, telescopic, sprung pole and the other a worn old bamboo pole that is now 3" shorter than it was when I first found it. I also pack my penknife, scissors, nail clippers, razor, cutlery and arnica oils - or any liquid that is over 100ml.
On the return journey, I find whatever container I can or buy packing paper and duct tape to send the stuff home.
It works for me!

Hi,
I'm planning to carry on my pack and buy an inexpensive knife and small nail scissors when I arrive.

Hi all,

I agree with sil on this one. I have done the testing on my packing and settled on putting my hiking poles, Gerber LST knife and other items which would cause me problems in a carry-on pack in a sturdy cardboard calendar tube (about 2 inches in diameter) which I would bring as checked luggage. If it gets lost, its gets lost, but I will have my essentials with me. My plans are to fly into Madrid and then fly Iberia to Pamplona. I would like to send this cardboard tube to Santiago (for re-use on my return flights) to a General Delivery address at the post office. Is this a possibility?

Trundle

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Its worth a try - especially if you want to stuff it with a few clean pairs of undies/socks/t-shirt etc.

This is the address to send it to - they will keep it for us to 2 months.

Trundle
Lista de Correos
15780 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña

I attach a copy of the Ryan Air condition for the carriage of cargo for those contemplating putting items in their Checked baggage:

• Please find enclosed an Extract from our General Conditions of Carriage
8.3.3 You must not include in Checked Baggage money, jewellery, precious metals, keys, cameras, computers, medicines, spectacles, sunglasses, contact lenses, watches, mobile phones, personal electronic devices, negotiable papers, securities, cigarettes, tobacco or tobacco products or other valuables, business documents, passports and other identification documents or samples.
In addition, I must advise that as stated in the conditions of carriage, under Article 8 Baggage, section8.3: Items Unacceptable as Baggage, You must not include in your Baggage: items which are reasonably considered by us to be unsuitable for carriage because they are dangerous, unsafe or by reason of their weight, size, shape or character, or which are fragile or perishable having regard to, among other things, the type of aircraft being used. Information about unacceptable items is available upon request;
8.3.2 Swords, knives, scissors, blades, cutlery, darts, syringes and other sharp objects and any item which in our opinion could be used as a weapon may be accepted as Checked Baggage, at our discretion, but will not be permitted in the cabin of the aircraft.

I discovered this when I attempted to claim for lost items. The moral of this story is to read the fine prints.

Buen Camino

Kwaheri

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Swords, knives, scissors, blades, cutlery, darts, syringes and other sharp objects and any item which in our opinion could be used as a weapon may be accepted as Checked Baggage, at our discretion, but will not be permitted in the cabin of the aircraft.
I don't think any aircraft will accept these items in the cabin. That is why it is best to check them into the hold and carry your backpack into the cabin with you.

Bear50 said:
The morale is DON'T FLY RYANAIR

Nope. I can't agree with that! It's too easy to knock Ryanair. From the UK perspective, Ryanair is a good way to get home direct from Santiago, so we have to live with them as a fact of life.

Regarding the security of sharp items etc., their rules are the same as everyone else. Finally, I must say that I was very impressed once with their efficiency in these matters. I flew back from Italy with Ryanair a couple of years ago and I'd accidentally left my Swiss army knife in hand luggage, so I had to go back and check it in as a 'security item'. I thought I'd never see it again, but I was wrong. It was waiting there for me at the baggage reclaim desk after I touched down in England. Don't worry, I'm a customer - I don't work for Ryanair! - but sometimes we can praise them without ulterior motives! :D OK Ryanair, I've changed my mind about ulterior motives: I'll accept a free flight for the good publicity. Send me an email to confirm. 8)

One final point on the subject of knives on the Camino. You could use the opportunity to buy a new knife in Spain, as it is an ideal place to buy knives. Not in a tourist shop, of course, but from the standard 'ferreteria' (hardware shop). They usually have the full range of penknives etc. and I bought one of those nice folding knives with the curved handle that's ideal for eating purposes. Post it home or check it in on your way back.

Gareth

Every year when my students travel to Spain, one of the highlights of the trip is visitng a sword factory in Toledo and purchasing a souvenir sword. The factory boxes, wraps and securely tapes the boxes. We label them and I do not allow the boys to open them for the duration of the trip. They are taken home as checked luggage and there has never been a problem.

Last Sunday, upon our arrival at Barrajas in Madrid to fly home, I was told at the ticket counter that they (the swords in the packages) were considered "arma blanca' and were prohibited weapons. Instead of being checked, they were specially handled by security guards and I was told that I might be questioned about them( on behalf of the students since I has the teacher in charge). Fortunately that didn't happen, but when we arrived in New York, all the boxes had been tagged with red tags and marked as "dangerous weaponry".

Certainly I understand that we don't want people to have access to weapons on a plane, but I was surprised by the security for souvenir items packaged, wrapped and going as checked luggage. Just an observation.

Buen Camino,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bear50 wrote:

The morale is DON'T FLY RYANAIR

Yep I concur with Gareth and do not agree with Bear50's strong blanket statement. Ryan Air provides a very easy and cheap way for pilgrims to fly out of Santiago. Or to fly in to Santiago. Or to other cities such as Rome and Santander to name a few places we used Ryan Air and other LCC's.

The fine prints on the carriage of knives is taken out of the conditions of carriage from a Ryan Air paper to illustrate some conditions when you travel; you will find that most airlines follow the same convention as Ryan Air .... knocking Ryan Air on this occasion sounds rather offbeat on this forum where we try to provide support for other pilgrims IMHO.

Kwaheri

Gareth: I think I might just purchase a spanish knife and post it home at the end. I plan to post a few other items or even just check my pack so that sounds the simplest solution, and simple on the pilgram trail is most often best. Thanks to all for the good conversation on this topic.

Just to clarify, we did not fly Ryanair - we flew KLM to Amsterdam and then Northwest to New York. The point was... that it isn't just Ryanair.

Something else to be aware of... you cannot take knives in luggage on a train in Spain. Your luggage goes through a scanner similar to that of the airlines... but since it is not "checked" but rather accessible to you during your train trip, if they see an "arma blanca" it will be confiscated.

I bought a small knife (for cutting fruit, etc. ) on the Camino last summer and then left it with a friend in Madrid before flying home.

Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cheap flights are a double edged sword - the more cheap flights there are, the more people fly, the greater the emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2). Environmentalists warn that flying is the easiest way to cook the planet!

sillydoll said:
Cheap flights are a double edged sword - the more cheap flights there are, the more people fly, the greater the emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2). Environmentalists warn that flying is the easiest way to cook the planet!

Glad I've decided to walk across Norther Spain then :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wish! Environmentalists are saying that it is the exponential growth in short flights that is the main contributing factor to greenhouse gases. (Together with factory farming which requires destruction of forests to grow food to feed the animals to feed humans - but that is another story!)

NaKwendaSafari said:
do you intend to get to Spain from Ozzie and ZudAfrica to do the Camino without flying?

actually if I could take more time off work I would travel overland by choice

unfortunately I have many financial responsibilities and cannot just pack my job in, pack my bags and head for Spain - if I win the lottery I certainly would

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cyd...thanks for the reminder to pick up a lottery ticket on my way home!! If I win....wine for everyone when I get to Santiago from the Camino Portuguese...then a hard right hand turn and back across Spain to Rome and where ever else my feet will carry me...cause if I win...I'm not coming back to work! Gonna just keep on truckin :wink:

Karin

Talking of winning the lottery...............

There was a mega-prize- multi -rollover-euromillions-jackpot when I was in Villafranca Del Bierzo last June so I bought a ticket with the thought that I was having such a fabulous time that my streak of good fortune may just extend to the winning of an obscene amount of money.
Having bought the ticket (yes, POSSIBLY en route to the the albergue from a bar...) I promptly forgot about it.
Months later I checked the numbers and guess what? I'd won!! not the jackpot and barely enough for a round of celebratory drinks but a small win neverthe less., Yippee!!
I went to cash the ticket but was told the Euromillions tickets can only be redeemed in the country they were bought in. What is the point of a Europe wide draw in that case?! Anyway, not a significant enough win to rush back to Spain for and hopefully the unclaimed prize went to a charity but thought I would mention it so as others who have a 'lucky feeling' and buy a ticket remember to check the results before leaving the country!
Buena suerte!
Laura

Laura, how about sending your winning lottery ticket to an albergue that you found to be very helpful to you and give it to them as a donation for toilet paper etc? Just an idea, it seems a shame to waste it. cheers, Jane :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jane, I never thought of that!

Too late now Im afraid, the six month redemption period was almost up before I got around to checking the numbers so it has definately expired now.

Like you say it was a shame to waste it. Good suggestion though - wish it occurred to me at the time!

Laura

Hey there everyone about sending stuff ahead to Compostela so the address is, Lista de Correos
15780 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruna., obviously with your name on it. So the box one can purchase it at the post office. I will be in Madrid for a few days before starting the Camino so If I need to I will use this info. Another thing I purchased a sleeping bag lite one, why does one need the silk liner in it.

Thanks hope to meet some of you. I will leave from Roncesvalles on the 10 of May.

niel

Although the discussion has shifted gears, I thought I would add that on several occasions I have successfully done what someone suggested here. That is, I bought sturdy cardboard tubes to check my walking sticks and any sharp instruments (mainly knife and scissors). When I arrived in Spain, I stuffed the tube with things to wear at the end of the trip (well, yes, they did wrinkle, but that was easy to fix) and sent it on to my final destination. I even had a tube wide enough to take some nice sandals. I alerted the hotels in Santiago that the tube would be arriving weeks before me, and I never had a problem. Then, I was able to use the tube again for the return flight home for the sticks and knife. I have sent tubes from both France and Spain to hotels in Santiago, and have had no problems. Not even the year there was a mail strike in France.
Laurie

Ya gotta love these posts..all these warm generous thoughts...all under a heading of "packing a knife"
Too funny!

Krin

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.