• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing advice: a couple of questions

Kernandi

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
Hi- I am planning on walking CF beginning in SJPP on Apr 2. I have a couple of questions I need help on as I work on my packing plans.
1. I have poles I really like (REI telescoping 14 oz) but they will not fully fit inside my Osprey Manta 36. The top half of the foam grip would stick out of the zipper. I do not want to check my bag on the way there, although I don't mind checking on the return. Should I leave my poles at home and plan to buy some in SJPP?

2. For my warm insulating jacket, I would like to take my older Patagonia down jacket which weighs 11.4 oz. I have a newer one, so if I don't end up using this I could donate it (or just use it as a pillow). I also have a fleece which weighs 6.84 oz. It isn't quite as convenient in that it is a quarter zip instead of a full zip jacket and I wouldn't want to just donate it if I am not using it, but it does weigh less. Which would you recommend I take?

Right now it looks like my pack would be about 12.5 lb without water (not counting pole weight but assuming I took down jacket not fleece).

Thank you for any advice you can offer!
Andrea

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi- I am planning on walking CF beginning in SJPP on Apr 2. I have a couple of questions I need help on as I work on my packing plans.
1. I have poles I really like (REI telescoping 14 oz) but they will not fully fit inside my Osprey Manta 36. The top half of the foam grip would stick out of the zipper. I do not want to check my bag on the way there, although I don't mind checking on the return. Should I leave my poles at home and plan to buy some in SJPP?

2. For my warm insulating jacket, I would like to take my older Patagonia down jacket which weighs 11.4 oz. I have a newer one, so if I don't end up using this I could donate it (or just use it as a pillow). I also have a fleece which weighs 6.84 oz. It isn't quite as convenient in that it is a quarter zip instead of a full zip jacket and I wouldn't want to just donate it if I am not using it, but it does weigh less. Which would you recommend I take?

Right now it looks like my pack would be about 12.5 lb without water (not counting pole weight but assuming I took down jacket not fleece).

Andrea

My Lekki poles were placed into the long outside pocket on my Gossamer Gear pack. They were tied together, and I had no problem going through Seattle's (SeaTac) TSA security check. The Icelandair flight had no qualms about the poles being visible when I carried my pack on board. When I was in Paris and boarded a regional flight to Biarritz, no problem. HOWEVER... when returning via Madrid airport, the poles were not allowed to be carried on. So, take it from there :)

As to your jacket... have you thought about just taking a down vest instead? With a long sleeve shirt, it will provide more than adequate warmth, and save half the weight (mine weighs 4 oz). Combined with a windshell jacket or a rain jacket, the warmth will increase by an even greater margin.

1) As Davebugg said if you place your trek poles in the outside pocket and tie them together you should n0t have problems getting through security check.
On the other hand if you don't want to bring your own you could buy some trekking poles in SJ. Keep in mind you will pay around 30-35$ for some cheap trekking poles.

2) Regarding warm insulation in my opinion you need either a softshell + fleece or a down + fleece. The walks from SJ to Roncesvalles - Alto del Perdòn - Montes de Oca - Cruz de Hierro requires you to have a decent insulation during spring. I personally would wear a merino shirt + a fleece and a softshell on top for windy/chilly mornings or a rain jacket. It depends on you. If you are like me bring a fleece + rain and softshell. If you on the other hand just can't stand cold temperatures, bring a down jacket :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1) As Davebugg said if you place your trek poles in the outside pocket and tie them together you should n0t have problems getting through security check.
On the other hand if you don't want to bring your own you could buy some trekking poles in SJ. Keep in mind you will pay around 30-35$ for some cheap trekking poles.

2) Regarding warm insulation in my opinion you need either a softshell + fleece or a down + fleece. The walks from SJ to Roncesvalles - Alto del Perdòn - Montes de Oca - Cruz de Hierro requires you to have a decent insulation during spring. I personally would wear a merino shirt + a fleece and a softshell on top for windy/chilly mornings or a rain jacket. It depends on you. If you are like me bring a fleece + rain and softshell. If you on the other hand just can't stand cold temperatures, bring a down jacket :)

I was planning on bringing a ls 1/4 zip merino shirt too. I do not have a softshell (well, I have one-- but it is a small that I fits me well but not for layering). I plan to wear my trusty and beloved rain coat (REI event waterproofing) as both wind and rain/snow protection over my insulating layers. I don't think I would be warm enough with just a down vest, but if you think the merino+fleece+rain jacket is enough, I will stick with that. Again, thank you.

My Lekki poles were placed into the long outside pocket on my Gossamer Gear pack. They were tied together, and I had no problem going through Seattle's (SeaTac) TSA security check. The Icelandair flight had no qualms about the poles being visible when I carried my pack on board. When I was in Paris and boarded a regional flight to Biarritz, no problem. HOWEVER... when returning via Madrid airport, the poles were not allowed to be carried on. So, take it from there :)

As to your jacket... have you thought about just taking a down vest instead? With a long sleeve shirt, it will provide more than adequate warmth, and save half the weight (mine weighs 4 oz). Combined with a windshell jacket or a rain jacket, the warmth will increase by an even greater margin.

Did you just check your bag on the return from Madrid then? That is what I am leaning towards. I don't have a down vest (although I am not opposed to buying one) but I am not sure it would keep me warm enough if it is really cold. I live in Minnesota and run outdoors unless it is below -25F, but I know that until I get my blood pumping and warmed up I can chill easily.

Did you just check your bag on the return from Madrid then? That is what I am leaning towards. I don't have a down vest (although I am not opposed to buying one) but I am not sure it would keep me warm enough if it is really cold. I live in Minnesota and run outdoors unless it is below -25F, but I know that until I get my blood pumping and warmed up I can chill easily.

I left the poles and carried on the pack. I didn't have tme to check the poles, and I always carry on my pack :)

On my thru-hikes of the PCT and the Colorado Trail, the down vest worked well into the low 20s F. Additionally, I had a long sleeved medium weight wool crew-neck shirt, an REI Shara long sleeve shirt, and a Houdini wind shell jacket. I also had a 1 ounce wool beanie cap, a pair of polartec type gloves, and a cuben fiber poncho. Altogether about 3 pounds of clothing. I've never been cold, but everyone is different. For the Camino, I swapped out the wool crew neck for a Northface capiline lightweight long sleeve (2 ounces), and I left out the windshell.

What an exciting time... pre-preparation is always fun and challenging. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I left a week later than you. I had bought a lightweight Patagonia down jacket to take. I left it behind in favor of a lightweight fleece + tech shirt + windbreaker. I also had a Merino wool camisole to wear if needed. I found that system adequate, along with the pair of gloves and a hat.

Poles are your call, I checked my backpack and hoped for the best.
I walked this year from SJPP to Roncesvalles on May 19 it was clear, then rain and then sleet. I grew up in Minnesota and backpacked there,,in Wyoming and in the Black Hills regularly.
For my Camino, I carried a rain jacket, long sleeve shirt and t-shirt, I had a long sleeve T but switched to short based on the forecast the day before I left Dallas. I wore convertible pants and I'm happy I took Frog Toggs rain pants, water proof and they cut the wind that was whipping. It's all about layers.
I only needed the rain pants twice but they weighed 4 oz and were inexpensive. The jacket, I wore on several occasions including the day we entered Santiago on June 22nd, rainy and cool.
For early April, I would include a fleece vest or pull-over. Moving is not a problem, when you stop, you will chill down quickly so be aware of that.
I hope you're Camino is everything you want it to be. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do not want to check my bag on the way there
There is another option - you carry on your pack with most of your stuff, and just check a disposable bag/packaging that contains your poles and any sharps. If the poles are delayed or lost, which happens rarely but does happen, then you buy replacements in SJPP.

I have been fortunate with carry-on poles. I too have a Patagonia light jacket but my last few Caminos I have worn a polifill coat. Layered with a merino undershirt a longsleeve shirt, and my rainjacket it has worked well. I will reserve the brand but I bought another today at Costco for $29 . My Patabonia is better but fragile and expensive. This jacket compresses, is warm and can be washed easily........ Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

My wife and I left Pamplona on May 10, 2013 and we found the weather just like it would have been back here in Vermont and probably like Minnesota - variable. Some mornings it was below freezing and we needed all of our layers along with gloves and beanies. Sometimes it was hot during the day and we could hike in just a single layer.

I have written before on this forum that I prefer something other than down or fleece because these materials, once wet, do not dry out quickly. So I carry a very lightweight Primaloft jacket. If it's cold I wear my rain jacket over it.

Your pack is small but if you can't fit it under your rain jacket, make sure you have a pack cover that fits it. Even with a pack cover, a part of the pack will get wet or dampened if you are out in the rain for a length of time. A small plastic garbage bag will help keep things dry and weighs almost nothing.

Buen Camino!

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is another option - you carry on your pack with most of your stuff, and just check a disposable bag/packaging that contains your poles and any sharps. If the poles are delayed or lost, which happens rarely but does happen, then you buy replacements in SJPP.

What do you do for returning from Madrid? Do you buy a container somewhere for the poles return? Or check the whole backpack?

Coming back has a lot less pressure, if things get lost/delayed it's not critical just a pain. As mentioned earlier a second inexpensive bag for them to check may be an option. My poles broke down into 3 lengths and fit inside my backpack which as I mentioned, I checked. I travel extensively and I knew I was rolling the dice but it worked out. BTW, the rain pants also kept my pants clean. As I mentioned, it rained and sleeted a bit on day one and the climb down to Roncesvalles was a mixture of dry, mud and large sections of wet composting leaves from the fall before. The Froggs Toggs pants over my 1 pair of pants kept them clean and dry. I bought the ultra light suit https://www.froggtoggs.com/women-s-ultra-lite2-suit/ , not the most stylish but it worked and they were very light. I only used the pants and gave the jacket to a friend that joined me in Sarria and he needed it. Good luck!

If your REI poles have traditional twist-expansion collar tighteners, loosen them pull the poles apart, completely separating the sections. When you lay the disconnected sections side by side, tip-to-tip, you will find the overall length significantly less. In my experience, my Leki poles got about 3 inches shorter overall after I separated them.

Newer, lever-action locks work in a similar way. Loosen the latches, then pull the segments apart. Close the latches so you do not lose them.

I use largish postal rubber bands to lash all the sections together so all pieces arrive together.

If this reduction in length is enough to get them to fit your rucksack, wrap them in something so they do not snag anything else in your rucksack. I use bubble pack, saving the piece to use as a wet surface seat pad.

Repack your rucksack so the poles are in the center, more or less, surrounded by smaller and softer items. When you arrive, repack the bag.

With the poles, you are going to have to check the rucksack anyway. I use an inexpensive nylon laundry sack, obtained in my local dollar store, to protect the bag when checked. Buy some outlandish color so your bag is readily identifiable, and no one is even tempted to purloin your bag.

Before checking your bag, be sure to remove EVERYTHING not easily replaceable on arrival. For me, that includes all documents, guide books, medications, nutritional supplements, electronics, spare eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses.

I carry these items onboard in a Sea to Summit 20-liter day pack that compresses to about the size of a tennis ball. On arrival, after I repack my rucksack, the S2S daypack becomes my "possibles bag." I use it on arrival in a town or village to buy groceries. It doubles as a day touring bag when I am on a rest day, a shopping bag, laundry bag, and expansion bag, for those very few days when I need extra carrying capacity.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started my camino the last week of April in 2015. I took both - a fleece jacket and a small down jacket. (I also took Frogg Toggs pants and jacket.) I needed the fleece jacket for many mornings as it was often around the freezing mark. The down jacket was really nice to wear in the evenings. I could sit outside having dinner and be cozy and warm even if it was only 60 degrees. I don't find the fleece keeps me as warm when I am not moving. I also used my down jacket for sleeping when it was really cold at night. I took thin gloves and a headband and wore them quite often in the mornings.

I bought a box and had it cut to the exact size for my poles. Then I only checked my poles - at Toronto airport they questioned why I would check my poles, but allowed me to. Then I switched to Easy Jet in Paris and again they questioned why I would be checking my poles... So I don't know what to tell you.

What do you do for returning from Madrid? Do you buy a container somewhere for the poles return? Or check the whole backpack?
I would check the whole pack.

I consider my carefully fitted backpack to be one of the things that is "not easily replaceable on arrival". Use it as your carryon bag, even if you decide to remove and check a few more things to reduce the bulk.

At the Madrid airport you can have your bag wrapped in plastic sheathing with the poles attached. Cost is about 10 euros. This safeguards the poles, straps, buckles, and other loose ends from damage. Downside is that a lot of plastic material is used to wrap the bag. Just look for the sign advertising "Embalaje". There are several stations offering this at the airport.

If you decide to try this option, remove valuables from your pack and carry them with you onto the plane.

Tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If your REI poles have traditional twist-expansion collar tighteners, loosen them pull the poles apart, completely separating the sections. When you lay the disconnected sections side by side, tip-to-tip, you will find the overall length significantly less. In my experience, my Leki poles got about 3 inches shorter overall after I separated them.

Newer, lever-action locks work in a similar way. loosen the, then pull the segments apart, close the latches so you do not lose them.

I use largish postal rubber bands to lash all the sections together so all pieces arrive together.

If this reduction in length is enough to get them to fit your rucksack, wrap them in something so they go not snag anything else in your rucksack. I use bubble pack, saving the piece to use as a wet surface seat pad.

Repack you rucksack to the poles are in the center, more or less, surrounded by smaller and softer items. When you arrive, repack the bag.

With the poles, you are going to have to check the rucksack anyway. I use an inexpensive nylon laundry sack, obtained in my local dollar store, to protect the bag when checked. Buy some outlandish color so you bag is readily identifiable and no one is even tempted to purloin your bag.

Before checking your bag, be sure to remove EVERYTHING not easily replaceable on arrival. For me, that includes all documents, guide books, medications, nutritional supplements, electronics, spare eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses.

I carry these items onboard in a Sea to Summit 20-liter day pack that compresses to about he size of a tennis ball. On arrival, after I repack my rucksack, the S2S daypack becomes my "possibles bag." I use it on arrival in a town or village to buy groceries. It doubles as a day touring bag when I am on a rest day, a shopping bag, laundry bag, and expansion bag, for those very few days when I need extra carrying capacity.

I hope this helps.

My poles are like that but I have never tried to take them apart. I will do that. Do you need a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten them back up when you reassemble?

My poles are like that but I have never tried to take them apart. I will do that. Do you need a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten them back up when you reassemble?

My guess is that REI has videos on YouTube on how to take apart and put together the poles.

Here are a couple of YouTubes that may help. Most are related to maintenance, but they do show assembly/disassembly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

No... they should go together without the need for any tools. They are designed for easy adjustment of the mechanisms while in the field.

The poles are technically not allowed on board planes in USA. They are supposed to be checked! I put them in a long nylon bag that is used for beach chairs then stuff newspapers around them till they are firmly protected and check them. The nylon weighs nothing and takes up very little room in my back back. I tape the end close with silver tape. Never had a problem.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/hiking-poles

If you get to the gate and the Poles are not allowed...then what!

The poles are technically not allowed on board planes in USA. They are supposed to be checked! I put them in a long nylon bag that is used for beach chairs then stuff newspapers around them till they are firmly protected and check them. The nylon weighs nothing and takes up very little room in my back back. I tape the end close with silver tape. Never had a problem.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/hiking-poles

If you get to the gate and the Poles are not allowed...then what!

1. If one has time, go back to the airline counter and check them as baggage.
2. If pressed for time with boarding, then leave them with the TSA agent.

:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1. If one has time, go back to the airline counter and check them as baggage.
2. If pressed for time with boarding, then leave them with the TSA agent.

:)
Just another reason to allow plenty of time at the airport.

I checked a bag with my pre and post Camino clothes, and put my poles in it. I then had the suitcase sent to Santiago.

Take them just check them in a cardboard tube

As long as you have a long sleeve wool shirt like a smartwool, a fleece, & a rain coat it will be all you need. Down will not keep you warm in very heavy rain eventually the rain coat will be overwhelmed. Especially if it rains for days.

Andrea

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took my poles apart (embarrassed to say I hadn’t known how to do that...) and they will fit in my bag such that the zipper can shut over them! They take up more space that way, but that will force me to pack light. Thanks for the help! :)

No. The traditional twist collar fastener system uses a threaded bolt, around which the expansion collar moves up and down, expanding or contracting as it screws up or down.

Once apart, experiment and you will see. Tension between the collar bushing and the inside surface or the pole is what holds the system in place and ultimately, what holds the two segments in place.

No tools are needed.

Latching poles are similar, except there is no interior collar bushing or a threaded bolt. The latching system relies on tension from the latching mechanism to hold the pole segments in place. Over time, you MIGHT need a small Philips screwdriver to slightly tighten the latching mechanism. But most Swiss Army knives, or mini-pocket tools (e.g. Leatherman Style PS) have such a tool.

BTW, "davebugg's" video links above are OUTSTANDING! Watch them!

I hope this helps.

No. The traditional twist collar fastener system uses a threaded bolt, around which the expansion collar moves up and down, expanding or contracting as it screws up or down.

Once apart, experiment and you will see. Tension between the collar bushing and the inside surface or the pole is what holds the system in place and ultimately, what holds the two segments in place.

No tools are needed.

Latching poles are similar, except there is no interior collar bushing or a threaded bolt. The latching system relies on tension from the latching mechanism to hold the pole segments in place. Over time, you MIGHT need a small Philips screwdriver to slightly tighten the latching mechanism. But most Swiss Army knives, or mini-pocket tools (e.g. Leatherman Style PS) have such a tool.

BTW, "davebugg's" video links above are OUTSTANDING! Watch them!

I hope this helps.

Thank you! It does help, as did the videos. Taking my poles apart will solve my problem!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.