• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing boots while in city

iidamarjattamirjam

Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2022
Hello everyone,

I’m off to my first camino (Frances) in two weeks, yay! Getting really excited. One pretty random thought came to me and I would love to hear how you experienced Pilgrims handle this;

Where or how do you pack your hiking boots when you’re in the city and wearing lighter shoes but still have to carry your bag (lets say between albergues or something)? Do you hang them from your bag? Stuff them inside the backpack? Carry a tote?
Just curious 😁

Buen Camino everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wear hiking sandals everywhere. If you wear boots you could pretend to be a member of the Doc Marten brigade, playing it cool. Set a fashion trend - heavy hiking boots worn with a lightweight miniskirt.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wear hiking sandals everywhere. If you wear boots you could pretend to be a member of the Dr Marten brigade, playing it cool. Set a fashion trend - heavy hiking boots worn with a lightweight miniskirt.
Don’t think I’ll be packing a miniskirt with me on this trip 😂 Sandals might get a little too cold to wear in October, no?

Edit: added ”cold” to previous sentence

Don’t think I’ll be packing a miniskirt with me on this trip 😂 Sandals might get a little too cold to wear in October, no?

I only bring flip flops, I will be wearing my boots in town. Trying to have a little weight as possible. If I need something badly I will buy it there.

It is only two weeks til you leave, so you would be pretty committed to your hiking boots, but if you do have any problems with them, consider replacing them with lightweight trail shoes or sneakers. Then you could wear them everywhere.

You can always post your hiking boots ahead or home.

Spain is the land of wonderful shoe shops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just wear them. Here in urban France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks.

Attitude is all.

I wear hiking sandals everywhere. If you wear boots you could pretend to be a member of the Doc Marten brigade, playing it cool. Set a fashion trend - heavy hiking boots worn with a lightweight miniskirt.
Its been done! Tartan mini skirts and big boots! those were the days!

Samarkand.

I found a good way to tie them to my backpack using the laces so they don't dangle and accidently hit a person or anything else for that matter. You'll find there are a lot of places on your pack with the webbing and carabiner attachments that work.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where or how do you pack your hiking boots when you’re in the city and wearing lighter shoes but still have to carry your bag (lets say between albergues or something)? Do you hang them from your bag?
I really can't think of scenarios where this would be a problem.
Keep your boots on until you arrive at your albergue. If you change into other shoes or sandals you would leave your boots (and your backpack) in the albergue while you are out eating or exploring. I don't know why you would be carrying either around town.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am travelling light through Europe pre Caomintand wear my Merrills everywhere - even to a London West End Show. People don't really look at what you are wearing.

https://www.purplerainskirts.com/ makes a very nice lightweight hiking skirt with side pockets, I'm 5'9"/175cm and it comes just above the knee, so not a miniskirt. I had lots of warm days last year in October (and got heatstroke walking to the lighthouse at Finisterre lol).
Socks and sandals are very common on cool afternoons with pereginos lol It's a fashion statement!

Hello everyone,

I’m off to my first camino (Frances) in two weeks, yay! Getting really excited. One pretty random thought came to me and I would love to hear how you experienced Pilgrims handle this;

Where or how do you pack your hiking boots when you’re in the city and wearing lighter shoes but still have to carry your bag (lets say between albergues or something)? Do you hang them from your bag? Stuff them inside the backpack? Carry a tote?
Just curious 😁

Buen Camino everyone!
I wrap mine in a plastic bag, and put them in my backpack. That's why I don't bring a super small backpack although it's still very light but has spare room to expand or compress.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Keep your boots on until you arrive at your albergue. If you change into other shoes or sandals you would leave your boots (and your backpack) in the albergue while you are out eating or exploring. I don't know why you would be carrying either around town.
That's exactly what I was thinking, too, and same thing even when staying at a hotel. I have never felt the need to hang my main pair of footwear from my pack.

If I'm walking with a pack.......I'm wearing my boots.
The only time I'm not, is when I reach my accommodation and leave my pack there.
Then when I go out I wear trekking sandals.

My sandals are my 'apres' walking wear :rolleyes:

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone,

Just curious 😁

Buen Camino everyone!
May I suggest that you don’t need boots to hike any Camino. They’re overkill, heavy, and blister factories. I walked Paris-Norte-Primitivo, 2018, in trainers, and Gibraltar-Muxía in Keen sandals, 2022 - feet never sweaty.

May I suggest that you don’t need boots to hike any Camino. They’re overkill, heavy, and blister factories. I walked Paris-Norte-Primitivo, 2018, in trainers, and Gibraltar-Muxía in Keen sandals, 2022 - feet never sweaty.

What works for you does not automatically works for others.
Winter and summer , Spain or at home I wear my leather Hanwag boots ( and my custommade insoles ) and I experiment with different types of Coolmax socks ( Bridgedale brand ).

What works for you does not automatically works for others.
Winter and summer , Spain or at home I wear my leather Hanwag boots ( and my custommade insoles ) and I experiment with different types of Coolmax socks ( Bridgedale brand ).

Exactly.
All we can do is share personal experiences, preferences and insights.

I tried Altra Lone Peaks as many here love them. Very bad for me. But it was good to try them.
I tried Hokka as many here love them. I find them quite good, but not my ideal yet.
I wear Gortex boots, that the majority dislike. I love them. (just too heavy for me now)
I've tried sandals, loved by many. Don't work for me.

Sometimes it's just trial and error.

No one is right.
No one is wrong.

We're all just different :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
thank God for common sense :)

Samarkand.

Hello everyone,

Just curious 😁

Buen Camino everyone!
I wear light weight Keen boots and carry ultra light sandals. I wear the boots any time I'm carrying my pack wether in town or out on the trail. I tend to need the ankle support and my boots are very light anyway. Once I get to a place where I can park my pack, I switch to bare feet and sandals in town or in camp. It's not about a fashion statement. It's about practically.

Big thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts on this. As someone said above, there are as many ways to gear up as there are pilgrims. I understand the worry with wearing boots, but I have my reasons as do the people who wrote about this before me. My Lundhags boots are lightweight, without membrane and provide me ankle support most of all. Wearing boots is not a fashion statement but an order from doctor to keep my ankles and knees safe 👍🏼

I like the thought of attaching the boots with carabiners and using the laces. After reading the comments I feel like I owe an explanation where I would see this relevant, but I guess it’s unnecessary - we all do things our way 😅

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back