• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing cubes or dry bags

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use Sea to Summit UltraSil drybags. 4L for the sleeping bag and 8L for my clothes. They are rather light. They are not crazy expensive. They last for 2 caminos and counting. For the other, smaller, stuff i use zip-style bags (1l or less).
My pack itself is rather waterproof, but i like the redundancy and the bags help organizing stuff nicely. Also you can hang them on many bunk beds with their clip.

Check out the many posts in this earlier thread re compression bags and alternates for packing.
As noted, lots of good info in the earlier thread.

Personally, I use a mix. I use Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil roll-top dry bags for clothes (one large plus a second smaller one for dirty clothes in case I want to skip doing laundry for a day). I use a smaller Eagle Creek toiletry bag for soap, etc. I carry a few 1- and 2-gal. size Zip-Loc bags that I use as needed for my Crocs and bedding. I'm a fan of the materials Sea to Summit and Eagle Creek use: very light but durable.

On my first camino, I carried a light (40 degree F) down sleeping bag that packed down quite small. I could compress it easily by putting it in a Zip-Loc bag, sitting on it, and zipping the bag shut. Worked like a charm until the last week or so when the Zip-Loc developed small perforations from wear and tear. Either way, I always put the compressed sleeping bag into my larger dry bag with the clean clothes, as I'm cautious about keeping my down bag dry.

This past summer I used traditional mesh/zipper packing cubes in a duffle bag on a route where I used a baggage service. I could see using them to organize clothes inside a larger dry bag, but for me personally that seems like a bit more trouble than it's worth and just adds weight I don't want to carry. HOWEVER, (hypocrite that I am) I have used the Eagle Creek Pack-It cube set to organize my clothes and that worked very well. Ultra-light weight fabric, durable rip-stop fabric and translucent so you can see what's in each bag. But again, Zip-Locs work just as well at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a waterproof liner that's the same size as the backpack.
Then I have 3 bags inside of that. One is for the sleeping bag, one
is for clothes and one is for everything else. And inside my bag that
holds everything else, I have stuff organized in ziplocks. For backpacking in the
U.S. I also have a tent and a bag for food and kitchen gear. For the
camino, the bag that holds the clothes is also a dayhiking backpack
that I use if I decide to ship my backpack to the next location.
Rope bags work good for this. Hopefully on my second Camino,
my bag will be light enough to avoid shipping it ahead.

Weigh. Everything. Including. The Bags.
It amazed me how heavy the traditional Eagle Creek cubes were, so I shifted to a mix of other containers. In some lodgings, one must empty the pack, leaving it at the front. So be prepared. Different colors, shapes, and sizes will help you find what you want quickly.

I own both types. I save the dry sacks for wilderness hikes where I must keep my stuff dry because there are no places to wash/dry clothes along the way and I will be sleeping in a tent.

For the Camino - I use 1 packing cube. I think mine are sea to summit. I like a packing cube because I can pull the entire cube out of my bag and then open it like a suitcase (dry sacks you have to dig around until you find what you want). What size you need depends on your gear - but not too big.

I only use my packing cube for all my clothe material items including clothes, towel (when dry), sleeping bag liner, etc). Then I use ziplock baggies and small zipper pouches for my other gear (electronics in one, first aid in another, hygiene in another, etc).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use mesh bags, like you use for produce or delicate laundry. Light, small, and I can see what is in the bag. They also do not make any noise when packing.
I use dry sacks because they are just that, dry. It rained over 10 days out of 35 on one of my Caminos. I never had to worry about anything being wet.

Just wondered if anyone uses packing cubes and what size and make ?
Dry bags keep the dry in and the moisture and bugs out. They are great to take your stuff to the shower and stay dry. They make a great’purse’ in a pinch. You can strap them in the outside your pack and know your stuff is protected. They act as compression bags. I use the utra light sea-to-summit and ultra light osprey bags.

Most light weight dry bags are made by a few Chinese factories that provide custom labeling. I have a variety of sizes in different colors to distinguish gear (sleeping bag/blue) Because they have roll-tops and compress I get the next larger size so they stuff easily and then squeeze and roll.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Eagle Creek makes some ultralight packing cubes in different sizes. I use 2 ultralight pack liners- one for my down sleeping bag and one for the rest of the pack. I use 2 small ultralight packing cubes, one is for first aid stuff and the other for charging cords and miscellaneous items. I have a separate toiletry bag with toothbrush, etc. that hangs up in the shower.
I used to use a compression bag for the sleeping bag and a separate bag for clothing, but I find the pack rides better if everything sort of settles on top of the sleeping bag in the bottom and clothing is sort of tucked into the empty spaces. The weight of packing cubes can add up, so keep this in mind— those few ounces can become a nuisance. I used to use ziplocks but they are not durable, plus they’re noisy and can disturb others in a quiet albergue dorm.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use dry bags for larger item like sleeping bag, but all my clothes are in normal large kitchen zip lock bags. I like to do my best to make sure my stuff inside my pack remains dry, should it get left in the rain by mistake, so whatever works.

I use mesh bags, like you use for produce or delicate laundry. Light, small, and I can see what is in the bag. They also do not make any noise when packing.
Exactly what I do, too. No need to worry about things not staying dry because I use a sturdy white trash compactor bag to line my backpack. I take two of these smallish mesh laundry bags. If there is excess room in them, I roll them up on themselves, and there is no need to squish items as any air releases without pressure. They also weigh nearly nothing.
Screenshot_20230331-145100~2.png

Last edited:
P.S. The times when I bring my sleeping bag, it goes in a special compartment in my pack, accessible outside separately with its own zipper. Instead of wrestling to get it back in to the tight fitting stuff sack it came in, I prefer to fold it loosely so it fits easily into a one gallon plastic zip lock bag and I sit on it to squeeze out excess air before zipping it shut(a whoopee cushion of sorts😅); far less frustrating and takes less time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
P.S. The times when I bring my sleeping bag, it goes in a special compartment in my pack, accessible outside separately with its own zipper. Instead of wrestling to get it back in to the tight fitting stuff sack it came in, I prefer to fold it loosely so it fits easily into a one gallon plastic zip lock bag and I sit on it to squeeze out excess air before zipping it shut(a whoopee cushion of sorts😅); far less frustrating and takes less time.
One gallon?

Weigh. Everything. Including. The Bags.
It amazed me how heavy the traditional Eagle Creek cubes were, so I shifted to a mix of other containers. In some lodgings, one must empty the pack, leaving it at the front. So be prepared. Different colors, shapes, and sizes will help you find what you want quickly.
This is the first time I've heard about sometimes needing to leave backpacks at the front door....how often is this the case on the Frances? This will definitely change how I'm organizing if it's more than just occasionally.

This is the first time I've heard about sometimes needing to leave backpacks at the front door....how often is this the case on the Frances? This will definitely change how I'm organizing if it's more than just occasionally.
It can’t be common as I don’t recall ever being asked to. Poles and shoes, yes

In 4 Caminos, not once have we been told to leave our packs at the door. One place insisted we put our packs in giant trash bags, which they then reused. They said it was to prevent bedbugs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was very common on the Le Puy route to leave your pack in the foyer/entrance and be given a plastic basket to put your gear in to take to your room. A few times we were given large plastic bags to put our pack in.

It was very common on the Le Puy route to leave your pack in the foyer/entrance and be given a plastic basket to put your gear in to take to your room. A few times we were given large plastic bags to put our pack in.
Yes, it was common on the Le Puy, and on the Norte I recall putting our packs in the large plastic bags once or twice.

Happened to me last year in the albergue in Alpriate on the Portuguese. Not at the door but just inside. As I use a waterproof liner for my pack and not individual stuff sacks all I did was take it out with all my contents and take it upstairs to the dormitory, leaving the empty pack downstairs.

It can’t be common as I don’t recall ever being asked to. Poles and shoes, yes
Poles and shoes - often. But I did collapse my poles and attach them to my pack before entering the albergue and often was permitted to keep them with me

Bag? I agree it doesn’t seem to be a common practice and I did not experience this on the Frances or Norte/Primitivo. I do recall one place - can’t remember where - but out bags were placed just outside of our room (not by the front door).

And I had heard about leaving them be the front door before - just not sure where this is more likely to happen.

Whatever you choose to use don’t get black ones; hard to see inside a rucksack or under an albergue bunk at dark o’clock in the morning.
Good point. I use trash "compactor" bags. In the US they always seem to be in the standard white and are extra robust. I've used the same one for my last three Caminos and it never has had any holes. Plus the dimensions (being longer and narrower than regular garbage bags) work well inside most backpacks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That looks interesting. Is there a size you prefer and why?
My clothes that I'm not wearing fit into the 8 liter size, but I don't take anything bulky like hiking pants. If I did the 12 liter size might be better.

Last edited:
I do a combo. Sea to Summit dry bag for my sleeping bag & mesh stuff sack for everything else. REI used to sell some under their own brand--a different color for different sizes. They've worked well for me in organizing my bag... even if things didn't compress down as well as they could. Since I'll be walking with a smaller pack this time, I'm thinking of a compression bag for my clothes but still keep a mesh bag or 2 for the other, few sundries.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sea to summit ultra dry sil roll top bags (I have used them for years and they are lightweight so I didn't mind paying extra for these) and a compression dry bag for my sleeping bag. ALL bags waterproof and I will bring a big black trash bag in case I encounter a lot of rain. Double bagged zip locks (2) for my money, passport, Brierley book.

Zip lock bags are our go to for gear seperation and storage in our backpacks. I prefer the double seal ones we have in Oz that close and seal really well. We try and not overpack each bag and it's easy to exclude air by the old "sit & zip" method. 1 bag for sleep gear, 1 bag for evening wear, 1 bag for socks and spares.
Spare bags are easy and light to store in the inside sleeve in the pack. What ever people decide to use, consider what will work to exclude bedbugs if you are unlucky enough to encounter any. I love ziplock bags!

I use 3-4 cheap very lightweight nylon drawstring bags and put socks and underwear in one, toiletries and sunscreen etc in and another and so on. I really don't carry enough stuff that it needs organization. I'm not on a military long distance hike 😄, and I figure if I have so much stuff that it requires organization I probably have too much stuff.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use 3-4 cheap very lightweight nylon drawstring bags and put socks and underwear in one, toiletries and sunscreen etc in and another and so on. I really don't carry enough stuff that it needs organization. I'm not on a military long distance hike 😄, and I figure if I have so much stuff that it requires organization I probably have too much stuff.
Military long-distance hikes.. been there did that. Way too many times.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.