• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing cubes or dry sacks?

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
I’ve always used dry sacks to help separate my clothes in my backpack but people on YouTube are saying that packing cubes are the way forward.

What do you think?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wearing a backpack, I think that dry bags/-sacks are the the way forward!

Packing cubes can be practical for travelling with suitcases, where you are not exposed to the elements, but will offer no advantages (rather the opposite) in a non box-formed backpack, as they are not meant to be stuffed. They are also relatively heavy.

Dry bags will keep your things dry and will pack much better.

Wearing a backpack, I think that dry bags/-sacks are the the way forward!

Packing cubes can be practical for travelling with suitcases, where you are not exposed to the elements, but will offer no advantages (rather the opposite) in a non box-formed backpack, as they are not meant to be stuffed. They are also relatively heavy.

Dry bags will keep your things dry and will pack much better.

Thank you. I’ll stick with my dry bags.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can some of you kind people give links to actual products? I am going to leave plastic bags behind this year and want something uncomplicated to keep my stuff dry without making crackling and rustling noises. When I look for dry bags at REI, backcountry, etc, what I see are cylindrical things with fancy closures like my rainproof bike panniers. All I want are waterproof bags that will go inside my backpack. Thanks.

I’ve always used dry sacks to help separate my clothes in my backpack but people on YouTube are saying that packing cubes are the way forward.

What do you think?
In order to simplify all my gear for any traveling situation, I use Eagle Creek brand ultra-light packing cubes- usually a large one for clothes that I'd rather not have totally wrinkled, a extra small one for electronics, and a small one for toiletries, meds, towel, etc. The large one is rectangular, and I place it in my pack vertically to cushion the load. They also have some ultra-light versions that are compressible. They are not rigid so can be stuffed into the pack. I have them in bright colors to locate easily when needed. I also line the pack with a large plastic bag.

Packing cubes are clear and can help with the visual sorting. Unfortunately they are not made for continuos use and are much less waterproof after a couple of days. My dry bags are of different colors so that helps with the identification. Like packing cubes they also come in different sizes...... Ultreya..... Willy/Utah/USA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All I want are waterproof bags that will go inside my backpack
The fancy closures are what makes them waterproof :p

Alas, not all is lost. Zpacks.com have some cuben fiber stuff sacks that are fairly water resistant and relatively noiseless. In order to to make the seams water proof, you'll need to tape them. Zpacks.com also carries seam tape. I've used those stuff sacks for years and always place them with the opening down.

An alternative is bags made from silnylon, that you can get at Dutchwaregear.com, with sealed seams (use a silicone sealing kit from the same place). Or from Tyvek (same place), but I have no idea how to seal the seams on Tyvek. Easy to make yourself.

For clothing and for sleeping gear, I've switched to Zpacks' dry bags - those with the fancy closures ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very concisely (very odd for me)...freezer storage thickness Ziplock bags!
Those work amazingly well, and the price is very good. I use quite a few Ziplock bags for other items.

Why spend more?
Convenience. The stuff sacks I mentioned are, in my eyes, just that more convenient, and thus worth the price. In the woods, I definitely prefer dry bags, because of their sturdiness and ease of use (try sealing a ziplock bag with cold fingers ).

Plus, an empty 2-gallon bag makes a decent field-expedient hand washing machine...
Indeed.

I used large zip lock bags, one for each day's set of clothes. That way I didn't have to worry about the clothes getting wet. Also, if (when) we were exposed to bedbugs I was confident that the zip lock bags protected the sets of clothes from being similarly exposed. I never had problems sealing them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used the ultralight Eagle Creek compression "cubes" this year, and liked how they fit into my backpack.
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-specter-compression-cube-set/d/1281

I switched from regular stuff sacks to the Eagle Creek Specter cubes and like them. They are super light weight and the I can easily see what's inside, in the even that I forget which color is holding what. You don't need dry sacks. The packs are already very, very water resistant and when you add the waterproof cover to them the contents stay dry. I only recommend a dry compression sack for the sleeping bag in the bottom compartment because that can get wet if you set the pack down in a puddle by accident. Or the outdoor seating area starts to flood during a sudden rainfall (what happened to me on the Primitivo). Even then the sleeping, which was is a non waterproof compression bag, was only a little damp in one place.
Dry bags weigh more than regular non waterproof bags. I only had 1 small dry bag just big enough to fit my passport, my little battery pack, and my iPhone 7 Plus. Those were the only things that I absolutely needed to keep dry and they rode in the top zippered compartment of my Osprey.

I've never had my clothes get wet inside a pack as long as the pack cover was on. Not in 20 years of wilderness backpacking for days in rain and snow.

I think Nekodemus has a typo. Should be Dutchwaregear.com. Dutch makes fabulous UL things for hammock hangers. (Typo is Durch...)
Thanks.

Yep, Dutch Bling is pretty neat stuff ;) My Half-wit would have been perfect to bring on the Inglés. Not so much on the CF.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've never had my clothes get wet inside a pack as long as the pack cover was on. Not in 20 years of wilderness backpacking for days in rain and snow.
Lucky you! Wish I could say the same! The shoulder straps wicked the rain in behind the rain cover. I was COLD and miserable :(

Dry bags weigh more than regular non waterproof bags.
That's why I love the gear from Zpacks. 20-30 gram for a dry bag is plenty light in my optics.

Very concisely (very odd for me)...freezer storage thickness Ziplock bags

I used to Eaglecreek ultralight bags until I had a run-in with bedbugs, and ever since then freezer storage thickness Ziploc bags are the way we go.

They are the same weight as the Eagle Creek, but provide the peace of mind that your clothes have not been exposed to the bedbugs even if your backpack has. And as noted above they are cheap!

I use the lightweight roll top bags and am very happy with them. They are expensive, but worth it to me. Don't bother with those that have compression straps - they don't reduce the weight at all! :p I roll the top while sitting on it to squeeze most air out. I have one for night things (possibly contaminated), one for day clothes, and one for the whole backpack at night (that protects everything inside). Then I organize all my small things in 3 small Eagle Creek bags like this. All different colours, of course. They go into the backpack at night and are protected.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can some of you kind people give links to actual products? I am going to leave plastic bags behind this year and want something uncomplicated to keep my stuff dry without making crackling and rustling noises. When I look for dry bags at REI, backcountry, etc, what I see are cylindrical things with fancy closures like my rainproof bike panniers. All I want are waterproof bags that will go inside my backpack. Thanks.
I sewed two simple small pillowcase bags out of lightweight water proof fabric i got from 'rip stop by rhe roll' i have two pieces of velcrow on each which keeps clothing in for using as an extra pillow. Also allows them to be hung. I lucked put on this. Inexpensive, versatile amd waterproof. Useful for keeping drips in as you carry wet laundry. And storing all the stuff i ned to get dtresed in the morning.

What do you think?
My preference was a set of three differently colored "stuff sacks" with drawstring tops and toggles that I got at REI. I found that I could remember what was in what colored bag, and that helped alot when I was in a hurry, or trying to find something in dim light. The bags are nylon, so I don't think they'd be waterproof if your bag fell off a bridge into a river ala "THe Way", but I DO think they'd be somewhat water repellant. I have Eagle Creek Specter cubes as well, but the shape doesn't work as well in a pack as the stuff sacks. And like Alaskadiver, I have an Osprey pack with a rain cover, and haven't had trouble with things getting wet inside, at least not from the rain. As I recall, the sacks were relatively reasonable for cost. Also, the larger one that I have worked well stuffed with a jacket for a pillow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My preference was a set of three differently colored "stuff sacks" with drawstring tops and toggles that I got at REI. I found that I could remember what was in what colored bag, and that helped alot when I was in a hurry, or trying to find something in dim light. The bags are nylon, so I don't think they'd be waterproof if your bag fell off a bridge into a river ala "THe Way", but I DO think they'd be somewhat water repellant. I have Eagle Creek Specter cubes as well, but the shape doesn't work as well in a pack as the stuff sacks. And like Alaskadiver, I have an Osprey pack with a rain cover, and haven't had trouble with things getting wet inside, at least not from the rain. As I recall, the sacks were relatively reasonable for cost. Also, the larger one that I have worked well stuffed with a jacket for a pillow.
Oh, and PS....the strings allow the bags to be hung from a hook, towel bar, shower bar, or bunk slat for keeping stuff close at hand, like for instance glasses or contact lenses.

Amazing spread of experiences on such small a subject :). No wonder, that packing lists, footwear and rain gear are constantly discussed subjects.

Anyway, my setup is two "Large Rectangular Dry Bag" (14 liter/34 g) and a "Food Dry Bag" (14 l/43 g), all from Zpacks.com. One "Large" each for clothes and for sleeping gear. I could get away with useing smaller bags on the Camino, but the weight is negligible, so I don't bother. I also use a smaller no-brand silnylon dry bag for my poop-kit. The food bag and the poop-kit I don't bring on the Camino. Inside the clothes bag, I use small stuff sacks (also from Zpacks, 3 g each) to keep things organized. Plus a small stuff sack for my toilet gear and one for miscellaneous. I keep a few things, like my phone, memory cards, repair kit and my soap bar in Ziplock bags. Makes for a very organized pack that packs tightly. Some times I use a trash bag as a pack liner slash keep-the-bugs-out cover for the backpack.

If you are on the market for dry bags, then keep in mind that not all of them are alike. My current cuben fiber 14 liter "Large" bags from Zpacks weigh 34 gram each. My older 12,5 liter dry bags from Karrimor weigh 93 gram each. But I can get three Karrimor bags for the price of one my Zpacks bags.

Amazing spread of experiences on such small a subject :). No wonder, that packing lists, footwear and rain gear are constantly discussed subjects.

Anyway, my setup is two "Large Rectangular Dry Bag" (14 liter/34 g) and a "Food Dry Bag" (14 l/43 g), all from Zpacks.com. One "Large" each for clothes and for sleeping gear. I could get away with useing smaller bags on the Camino, but the weight is negligible, so I don't bother. I also use a smaller no-brand silnylon dry bag for my poop-kit. The food bag and the poop-kit I don't bring on the Camino. Inside the clothes bag, I use small stuff sacks (also from Zpacks, 3 g each) to keep things organized. Plus a small stuff sack for my toilet gear and one for miscellaneous. I keep a few things, like my phone, memory cards, repair kit and my soap bar in Ziplock bags. Makes for a very organized pack that packs tightly. Some times I use a trash bag as a pack liner slash keep-the-bugs-out cover for the backpack.

If you are on the market for dry bags, then keep in mind that not all of them are alike. My current cuben fiber 14 liter "Large" bags from Zpacks weigh 34 gram each. My older 12,5 liter dry bags from Karrimor weigh 93 gram each. But I can get three Karrimor bags for the price of one my Zpacks bags.
I have a 12 liter Osprey dry bag that I use for washing my clothes in. It weighs just 1.2 ounces/~34 grams.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me, walking the Camino Frances, walking the Camino Finisterre-Muxia-SdC loop, cycling the Camino del Norte and cycling the Via Francigena, I was really impressed using a combination of Exped 201012 tote bag VentAir, Compression, S grey tote bag and Exped Ultralite Fold-dry bag 4 pack XSmall-large. These all worked for me, kept my kit dry in a rucksack, or bike panniers, so I was a happy pilgrim. And that's important!

I used both. Small cube for underwear and socks, medium for shirts and my running shorts (swimming/sleeping/wearing when I washed my only other convertible pants). I used a 5L dry sack to protect electronics, papers, etc. I also used it for groceries, laundry and as a makeshift pillow on 2 occasions. Keeping my pack organized made dark early morning departures easy. Try different combinations until you find what’s right for you. I tried to have multiple potential uses for everything I carried.

1 gallon Zip lock bags. Easy, convenient, multi purpose, inexpensive, lightweight, sold everywhere, easy to pack, see through and disposable. What more could one ask for? They work wonders........

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I use a builders rubble bag. They are like dustbin liners but smaller and thicker plastic. They are strong enough to last a whole camino and because they are thick plastic they are fairly quiet. I close the bag with a freezer bag clip.
I line my pack with a trash COMPACTOR bag. They are white, far more sturdy than a regular garbage bag and not too huge. A single one has served me for three Caminos and still has life left in it. I then use 2 Walmart laundry bags inside at only $1.17/ea. They are zippered, not huge, weigh almost nothing and you can see your items in them. Although they don't compress air, they stuff nicely and best of all they make NO noise. This combination works well for me.

I use the lightweight roll top bags and am very happy with them. They are expensive, but worth it to me. Don't bother with those that have compression straps - they don't reduce the weight at all! :p I roll the top while sitting on it to squeeze most air out. I have one for night things (possibly contaminated), one for day clothes, and one for the whole backpack at night (that protects everything inside). Then I organize all my small things in 3 small Eagle Creek bags like this. All different colours, of course. They go into the backpack at night and are protected.
What kind of roll top bag are you talking about that is large enough to put your whole backpack in each night? I can't envision one that large, but am curious to find out.:rolleyes:

Another fan of ziplock freezer bags here. No rustle. And I followed the advice posted here a long time ago to invest in a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Also no rustle, much too heavy for that. I walked in the rain all day every day for two weeks with no problems with dampness in my pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What kind of roll top bag are you talking about that is large enough to put your whole backpack in each night? I can't envision one that large, but am curious to find out.:rolleyes:
If you search the REI site for "pack liner" you will find them, up to 90 L in size. That one weights 130 g. (4.4 oz). If used as a pack liner, they need to be bigger than the pack so that 100% of the space can be used. Obviously you need them larger than the pack if you are using it outside! It is nice to have the dry bag big enough to slip your backpack in quite easily and not be struggling to get it in.

If you search the REI site for "pack liner" you will find them, up to 90 L in size. That one weights 130 g. (4.4 oz). If used as a pack liner, they need to be bigger than the pack so that 100% of the space can be used. Obviously you need them larger than the pack if you are using it outside! It is nice to have the dry bag big enough to slip your backpack in quite easily and not be struggling to get it in.
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look!

In the end, each person should find and use the solution that best serves their needs. I DO use small ultra-lightweight nylon stuff sacks to organize my smaller gear.

These small sacks then go in a freezer grade ziplock bag to protect all the items from water infiltration, AND the aforementioned insect problem. I use ziplocks to organize my clothing too, so I can see and choose what I want.

For me, I found purpose made “dry bags” to not be worth the added weight, over ziplocks. Plus, you cannot readily see what is in each bag.

I hope this clarification helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What kind of roll top bag are you talking about that is large enough to put your whole backpack in each night?
There is this "Backpack Case", that doubles as a pack liner. A bit heavier (108 gram), and certainly more costly ($65+shipping), than I'd like, but, if your pack does not qualify as cabin luggage ... Having had trouble with luggage handlers before, the price suddenly becomes more reasonable. Pretty much guranteed to keep bugs out of your pack.

The last time I had to bring my pack as checked luggage, I bought an old suitcase for 1€, and put the bag in that on the outbound. On the way back, I wrapped it in the trash bag I had used as a bag liner during my walk, and closed the bag with duct tape from my repair kit, and some string. Even made a carrying handle with some more string and a piece of a dead branch.

The cheap way to keep your bag bug proof, is to carry an extra trash bag and some string. Place your bag in the bag, give it a twirl and tie it off with the string. Just don't drag it across the floor.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/airplane_case.shtml

They do double duty as pack liners and carrying case for backpacks.
Except maybe for the price, that case look quite good. The weight isn't bad for the size. I wonder if it packs up small, or if it is stiff-crinkly and bulky.

It compacts down to a very small footprint, and isn't very stiff. There is some muffled crinkly-ness, but not much. There is also a slightly smaller size that works well as a pack liner, but can also hold a smaller pack as well.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I too organize with ziplock bags. They are easy to open and seal well, preventing items from getting wet! I have two kinds of cube bags and some have slight openings for breathing...which I am concerned a little bed bug could squeeze through. SO I opted to stay with the plastic bags. I put little colored labels on the bags to know exactly what is in them so I do not have to go searching in the morning.

I used a Sea to Summit dry bag to line my kit. and three stuff bags in side 1. clothing 2 bedding 3 ditties ( flashlight, toiletries, 1st aid zip locks bag) going for ultra light to save my back. Weight total with out water 11.5 lbs. My kit weighs 3.25 lbs. I am going to purchase a Zpack Arc blast 21 oz. and waterproof. and knock off a couple of lbs.

I used a Sea to Summit dry bag to line my kit. and three stuff bags in side 1. clothing 2 bedding 3 ditties ( flashlight, toiletries, 1st aid zip locks bag) going for ultra light to save my back. Weight total with out water 11.5 lbs. My kit weighs 3.25 lbs. I am going to purchase a Zpack Arc blast 21 oz. and waterproof. and knock off a couple of lbs.

JF, the Arc Blast is a great choice if you are able to dial it in to suit your body frame. Ultimately for me, I could never get it right. I loaded it with test loads at around 20 pounds and spent three weeks working with it (the return period without restocking fees is 30 days), but it just never felt 'great'; that feeling that the backpack simply carries so well that it 'disappears'. The design is brilliant, and for those who get it dialed in completely it is a wonderful choice. The Zpacks folk are great to work with. I have their Duplex tent, and also their poncho.

On my PCT and Colorado Trail thru-hikes I used a ULA Circuit, and loved it. But for the Camino I wanted a pack thats dimensions allowed it to be carried onto the airplane. The Arc Blast dimensions were to tall, so that sealed the deal, for me, so I returned it.

I ended up with the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Lots of pockets, extremely lightweight -- though not as light as the Arc Blast --- and although it is rated for 60 liters, without using the extension collar, it becomes a 40 liter pack. It is sized right for on board carry on luggage, and it sheds water nicely, though not really waterproof unless one seals its seams.

I just wanted to pass on my observations: maybe some of the things I mentioned may apply for you, maybe not. Please do not take this in any way to mean that the Arc Blast should be avoided; to the contrary, it is a great pack to consider.

Here's a picture of the Gossamer Gear pack I used. The huge mesh back pocket held my poncho and rain kilt and windshell. Without taking off the pack, my son and I would grab each other's ponchos out of the back pocket and have it on in 30 seconds. Later, I just kept the poncho in one of my side pockets so that I could snag it on-the-fly myself and put it on. :)

IMG_0260.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you already own dry bags use them I never use anything. Just my pack cover. I have dry bags & only use them if it is snowing & I am skiing in for a few days. For rain gear it takes pressure (weight or pressure) so that is why shoulder straps on top of rain gear first place to fail. Dry bags seem to have many uses.

What do you think?
I have Six, light-weight, waterproof bags of different colors and sizes. Shirts/Pants/Jacket and rain jacket/Socks and underwear/Laundry/Sleeping bag. (Medicine, toiletries, phone, and camera) have another waterproof bag that is always with me. I don't need a pack cover and in a total of more than twenty Camino days of real rain my gear has been dry . There are many suppliers of waterproof bags mostly made in China I don't want to promote and brand...... Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

I use a large light weight wet bag to line my pack for me it is better then a garbage bag. I still use a pack rain cover taking no chances.

Hi @peregrina2000, just come across this thread so haven't had time to real all the answers, sorry.
This is what I use, there are lots of choices as you can see (I choose the lightest dry bags) https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.c...cks-drybags-c29/drybags-c177/sea-to-summit-m5
One for my sleeping bag, one large one for my clothes - it's too big for my 'camino wardrobe' :D - but in case of severe downpours I can put everything else in it! and a smaller one for phone, passport etc Again, only in case of torrential rain.
First aid is in a small ziplock bag and toiletries in a mesh bag.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.