• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing decisions - Camino in October

KarenLScot

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Francis
My husband and I are walking the Camino Frances, leaving Sydney on the 30th September, 2 nights in Paris, 2 nights in SJPP and overnight in Orisson. We plan to end our walk in the 2nd week of November. I am wondering whether to take a light jacket or I will need a heavier fleece or down jacket? I know the days can be a bit warmer but the nights could be cold. We are taking our rain gear (jacket and trousers). We also plan to take a sleeping bag. Any advice from pilgrims who have walked/planning to walk at this time of year would be appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is no way to predict what will happen with the weather. Early October could be hot...or it is possible to hit snow in the mountain areas. If you are taking a rain jacket then I would definitely not bring a down jacket. Think lite weight layers that you can add on. I would bring a lite weight fleece jacket, two long sleeve wicker shirts and one short sleeve wicker shirt. That should be plenty. Pile on or off as needed.

Think light layers! If in doubt, add another light layer rather than switching for a heavier item. If it is cold outside you can always pull on your rain gear for insulation. At night you put on all your clothes if necessary. Many people do take very light down jackets or vests, throughout the year, but you will not need it for walking. I take a sleeveless down vest, which is less bulky and not so hot - I use it in the evenings or at night, as my tired body likes the cosiness on chilly evenings.

I would take virtually the same clothes at any time of the year, perhaps just adding one long base layer in January-February, and leaving my merino buff and gloves home for July-August.

I would take very light gloves for October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I are walking the Camino Frances, leaving Sydney on the 30th September, 2 nights in Paris, 2 nights in SJPP and overnight in Orisson. We plan to end our walk in the 2nd week of November. I am wondering whether to take a light jacket or I will need a heavier fleece or down jacket? I know the days can be a bit warmer but the nights could be cold. We are taking our rain gear (jacket and trousers). We also plan to take a sleeping bag. Any advice from pilgrims who have walked/planning to walk at this time of year would be appreciated.

Hi, Karen. . . .

Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during the Fall on the Camino last year, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Zpacks, Cuben Fiber
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

Buen Camino. Merino merino merino 'nuff said. And another thought or two. 1) Book very early with Jean-Jacques at Orisson even in October he is busy busy. You can find the email on his site http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ then before you leave home call him on the phone to confirm mistakes do happen 33 5 59 49 13 03 . 2) You will be flying a long distance to reach Paris, after your Camino you face a 1000k+ trip back across half of Europe to catch a plane home? Paris is wonderful even in October/November but Madrid is far more convenient.

This is a delightful time of year with moderate temperatures and fewer people competing for accommodations. Spending two nights in SJPP is a good idea to orientate and rest up for your first day on the trail to Orisson, another good idea . . . what's the hurry, right? You definitely want to take a light wind breaker/rain cost as you are liable to run into cooler climes in the mountains and possibly train as the days transition into winter. I would definitely take a light down sleeping bag that will cover you down to 45 degrees F. Some of the nights can get down right chilly although keep in mind most alburges provide pillows and warm blankets, so you should be fine. Also, some alburges have private rooms if you're looking for a bit of privacy after sleeping toe to toe with other pilgrims, a nice treat, if you will. My last bit of advice is not to overpack with unnecessary gear -- remember you're going to have to carry that for 500 miles. So, second guess everything you plan to take --- is it a real need or want and rely on layering for all temperature conditions. As an FYI, I walked the Camino (solo) starting September 19th and ended November 4th. I took my time, smelled the roses and had a extraordinary, transformative experience. I wish you the same. Happy Trails. Rover

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a delightful time of year with moderate temperatures and fewer people competing for accommodations. Spending two nights in SJPP is a good idea to orientate and rest up for your first day on the trail to Orisson, another good idea . . . what's the hurry, right? You definitely want to take a light wind breaker/rain cost as you are liable to run into cooler climes in the mountains and possibly train as the days transition into winter. I would definitely take a light down sleeping bag that will cover you down to 45 degrees F. Some of the nights can get down right chilly although keep in mind most alburges provide pillows and warm blankets, so you should be fine. Also, some alburges have private rooms if you're looking for a bit of privacy after sleeping toe to toe with other pilgrims, a nice treat, if you will. My last bit of advice is not to overpack with unnecessary gear -- remember you're going to have to carry that for 500 miles. So, second guess everything you plan to take --- is it a real need or want and rely on layering for all temperature conditions. As an FYI, I walked the Camino (solo) starting September 19th and ended November 4th. I took my time, smelled the roses and had a extraordinary, transformative experience. I wish you the same. Happy Trails. Rover
Thank you for the advice Rover.

Buen Camino. Merino merino merino 'nuff said. And another thought or two. 1) Book very early with Jean-Jacques at Orisson even in October he is busy busy. You can find the email on his site http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ then before you leave home call him on the phone to confirm mistakes do happen 33 5 59 49 13 03 . 2) You will be flying a long distance to reach Paris, after your Camino you face a 1000k+ trip back across half of Europe to catch a plane home? Paris is wonderful even in October/November but Madrid is far more convenient.

Thanks for the advice Scruffy1. We have booked Orisson but I will make sure I call before we leave.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, Karen. . . .

Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during the Fall on the Camino last year, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Zpacks, Cuben Fiber
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

Hi Karen. I live near Coffs Harbour so feel the cold a bit. I had a lightweight fleece, 2 long sleeve and 2 short sleeve merino shirts. (Sometimes used extra shirt as a pillow case) I didn’t have shorts and my pants didn’t zip off and there were a few hot days that would have been a good option. I might take a skirt on the Norte this October. I definitely needed my Marmot goretex rain jacket over the Pyrenees and also up to Foncebaddon along with gloves and beanie for warmth. . And I loved my Sea to Summit Traveller sleeping bag, preferred that to the blankets but still needed them on top some nights. I used my rain pants a few times as well. I also had a strappy singlet merino as an extra layer. Usually slept in my Kathmandu Vixen Active pants, and wore them to dinner every night. Don’t know what it all weighed but fitted easily into Sirrus 36 L using dry bags to separate and compress. I started the Frances on October 1 2016. Hope this helps Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked the CF ten times in late autumn/winter. Most of us who do wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topichttp://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/equipment-questions.30/
to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine
http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Remember autumn/winter is a great time to walk, but you must be PREPARED!

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back