• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing decisions

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
We are just packing for our week on the Camino Ingles, flying to Santiago next Monday, two days after The Wedding (so the camino packing has to be done and dusted by tomorrow, according to my Plan).
Questions:

1.We are very aware of Ian and Rosie's ultra-wet experience. Two of us have Altuses (Alti?), one waterproof trousers and jacket. We were going to investigate gaiters but haven't got round to it yet - should we find the time for a trip to the outdoor shop (only 6 miles or so)to get some?

2. Hats - do we need a thermolite each for warmth? Might we need sun hats? (last time I looked at he weather forecast a week or so ago for A Coruna, there was a row of suns on blue backgrounds, which looked very pleasant).

3. Gloves?

4. Ryan Air angst - we are intending to bind our backpacks into the requisite dimensions for cabin luggage We are travelling over lunch time and will have a tupperware pot of wedding leftovers each for our lunch, to eat with our sporks. How much do drinks cost on the flight? I don't suppose they give free water, if asked, do they?

By-the-bye:
Which of the following would you not like to happen just prior to your pregnant daughter's wedding/
1. She has a two-night stay in hospital following a bleed.
2. You come home one day to find the Drain Doctor's van outside the house - called by the neighbours with whom you share drains.
3. The bridegroom (again) has second (third, tenth?) thoughts about committing to a rental property - AFTER paying for the financial checks and being cleared.
4. Nobody wants to cook the salmon.

We have survived all these so far!
And the Golden Shrugs are finished, as are the bridesmaids' leafy haircombs, and the fairy tale silken cloak only needs a few stitches to keep the lining in place and some leafy ornamentation attaching.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Bridget and Peter

This is what I took for the Camino Ingles last November.
Waterproof overtrousers and gortex jacket,[with hood] no gaiters.
Always take my cap and have a lightweight zip-up hooded fleece and my buff. [can all be worn together if cold]
Always take lightweight fleecy gloves.
Also I take a lightweight umbrella.
Ryanair sell overpriced drinks even water [cannot remember exact prices ] so buy water after passport control.
Enjoy your Camino and hope the wedding goes well.
[50 something Camino Ingles walker]

We are very aware of Ian and Rosie's ultra-wet experience.
The weather has taken a drastic turn to the better since Ians and Rosies walk. In the last 2 weeks I have not seen a cloud, min temp about 2-3c and max about 20c.

No guarantees of course.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Leaving so soon? :)

As Ivar said 'twas sunny in Santiago all of last week. However the 5 day forecast on the BBC predicts rain from Sunday and this is the same on Yahoo Weather Extended the "good news" is that sun is predicted again by next Friday in Santiago :)

But having said that I've been faced with the same weather forecasts on this route and had to apply sunscreen.

So your rain gear may very well be needed. There are one or two sections which can get heavy underfoot after a lot of rain but imho gaiters aren't needed.

Hats - usual rules apply. In these conditions I take a beanie that I can wear down over my ears when it is realy cold and roll up like a pop eye hat when it isn't - a bandana is another excellent multi purpose option.

I wouldn't automatically pack gloves at this time of the year.

Ryan Air - 3 euros or ÂŁ3 for tea, coffee or water (small bottle) - imho a total rip off. But airport prices aren't much better. They don't give free water!

But you survived the 4 obstacle trial of hospitals, drains, indecision, and cooking - and the fairies are almost dressed.

After that the Ingles should be a breeze.

BUEN CAMINO!

I walked Camino Frances last March and brought a lightweight fleece cap and very lightweight cheap knit gloves (I often wore these in the mornings). I also had a lightweight sunhat.-- I used all of these items. As to water on the airplane...I always bring an empty water bottle or two and once I am through security checkpoints, I fill them up at a drinking fountain and take them on the plane.
Have a great time.

great advice from all of the above,one last tip from us.turn left out of the airport the ryan-air bus is extreme left.
having just spent a week settling my mother into a care home in Bradford where some of the carers are her ex school pupils (weird or what) and attempting to clear out our family home I would gladly do the walk butt naked using only the uncooked salmon as shelter and sustenance
we envy you, both the marriage of your daughter the new life and the camino on monday.
enjoy both, though I must say as a bloke and an absolutist I'm starting to feel slightly sorry for the son in law :wink:
Ian and Rosie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have a wonderful and well-deserved Camino! Best wishes to daughter and timid son-in-law. (he'll get over it) Congrats on getting everything accomplished by The Day.

Last week in the rest of Spain - the only place I wasn't was the northwest corner! - the weather was beautiful. Hopefully it will continue for you next week.

Can't wait to see your photos...un abrazo.
Buen Camino

Where would you use the salmon Sagalout? As a hat? A glove, or to clout the Ryanair staff?
And at what stage would you feel desperate enough to eat it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
viajero said:
As to water on the airplane...I always bring an empty water bottle or two and once I am through security checkpoints, I fill them up at a drinking fountain and take them on the plane.

Of course! Why didn't we think of that? However, if Ryanair start charging to 'spend a penny', we'll have to limit our fluid intake!

sagalouts said:
I'm starting to feel slightly sorry for the son in law

All very happy and relaxed today. Decision made to rent little cottage. Imagine how much sorrier they would be if they had to have their first baby while living with in-laws!

Deirdre said:
Last week in the rest of Spain - the only place I wasn't was the northwest corner! - the weather was beautiful. Hopefully it will continue for you next week.

Johnnie is right - the forecast is a bit grim. But we have Alti!

sagalouts said:
one last tip from us.turn left out of the airport the ryan-air bus is extreme left.

Thank you

sagalouts said:
just spent a week settling my mother into a care home in Bradford where some of the carers are her ex school pupils (weird or what) and attempting to clear out our family hom

Whew! Hopefully your Camino built up your tolerance-to-elderly-parent levels.

(I'm hoping mine is high enough for tomorrow, but will be sharing the load with other siblings!!)

sillydoll said:
Where would you use the salmon Sagalout? As a hat? A glove, or to clout the Ryanair staff?
And at what stage would you feel desperate enough to eat it?

The salmon are now going to be cooked by the vicar. We are handing them over at the rehearsal this evening. We have some very good friends!

Deirdre said:
Have a wonderful and well-deserved Camino! Best wishes to daughter and timid son-in-law. (he'll get over it) Congrats on getting everything accomplished by The Day.

Our packs are semi-packed, - mine weighs about 9 lbs - and put aside in our bedroom until after the wedding.

Our spirits are high. Some of the family have arrived and grandchildren are being charming. The church is full of snowdrops and primroses. The sun is shining here in the Fens. We are probably feeling a bit too chilled (hence me feeling I have time to write this while granddaughter is being fed and changed and before some of us prepare some salads) but that's better than the opposite!

Thank you everyone for all your good wishes!

Candles will be lit for you and yours on Sunday in Moratinos.
The weather continues beautiful. Everyone keeps saying "yes, but wait til next week!" (Happy lot, these farmers...)

You´re going to LOVE this camino. It will be unforgettable.

Reb.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.