• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for a Camino I am not supposed to be planning!

• Thread starter Former member 92300
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 92300

So, I planned a Camino in 2020 and had to cancel. Planned a Camino in 2021 and had to Cancel. Then at the last minute - I had a chance to go on the Camino Frances as soon as Spain reopened in June 2021. And of course, loved it.

Then, I wasn't planning to go to Europe in 2022... but by November 2021, I was suddenly planning a Camino with my daughter - the Frances - for late May 2022. She bailed (well postponed), and I changed my plans and did the Norte/Primitivo.

And here I am another year later. It is November 2022 and I have told my husband several times that I am planning to stay home this summer. Doing a lot of remodeling in our house - and it really isn't in the budget. And I truly had NO INTENTIONS of going on another Camino - for the 3rd year in a row.

Yet here I am. My daughter is now in college and every weekend she keeps coming home - just long enough to create chaos and stress. Then she leaves. And leaves me exhausted. Between work and family life - I am once again - worn out. And with that, my thoughts keep bringing me back to the Camino. Thoughts of a simpler, quieter life with my my backpack and my thoughts. Walking in silence for hours, or chatting with a new found friend. Removing my email app from my phone. Keeping the cell phone turned off (or in airline mode) for most hours of the day. And then the daily stressors of life pop back into my head and there is no peace and quiet to be had.

So what do I do? I grab my backpack and start gathering my next Camino's clothes and gear. Assessing what I have and what I need to replace. And within minutes, my bag is at least 80% packed. Hmmm... my Altra Olympus shoes still have some life, but they weren't great on last year's Camino - AND they certainly won't last for another long Camino. My Altra Lone Peaks runners have definitely seen better days. Both pairs need to be discarded. And I look online and see that the 6's are out - and some colors are on sale - so I buy 2 pairs (one for walking at home, one for my next Camino). Do I stick to one of my 30L packs or do I attempt to use a 24L on my next Camino (leaning towards 24L).

Ugh... I have another 6 months left of the school year. Will I make it and keep my word? Or will I end up telling my husband that I am leaving in 6 months and 1 day for my next Camino? If I go, what is next? Portuguese from Faro or somewhere near there in Southern Portugal? Or will I finally do the Le Puy? Or will I get really crazy and see how far I can make it in 6 weeks on the Via Francigena? Are any airlines having "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" sales from the US to Europe? If they do - will I be able to resist the urge to buy my tickets now?

*sigh*

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, I planned a Camino in 2020 and had to cancel. Planned a Camino in 2021 and had to Cancel. Then at the last minute - I had a chance to go on the Camino Frances as soon as Spain reopened in June 2021. And of course, loved it.

Then, I wasn't planning to go to Europe in 2022... but by November 2021, I was suddenly planning a Camino with my daughter - the Frances - for late May 2022. She bailed (well postponed), and I changed my plans and did the Norte/Primitivo.

And here I am another year later. It is November 2022 and I have told my husband several times that I am planning to stay home this summer. Doing a lot of remodeling in our house - and it really isn't in the budget. And I truly had NO INTENTIONS of going on another Camino - for the 3rd year in a row.

Yet here I am. My daughter is now in college and every weekend she keeps coming home - just long enough to create chaos and stress. Then she leaves. And leaves me exhausted. Between work and family life - I am once again - worn out. And with that, my thoughts keep bringing me back to the Camino. Thoughts of a simpler, quieter life with my my backpack and my thoughts. Walking in silence for hours, or chatting with a new found friend. Removing my email app from my phone. Keeping the cell phone turned off (or in airline mode) for most hours of the day. And then the daily stressors of life pop back into my head and there is no peace and quiet to be had.

So what do I do? I grab my backpack and start gathering my next Camino's clothes and gear. Assessing what I have and what I need to replace. And within minutes, my bag is at least 80% packed. Hmmm... my Altra Olympus shoes still have some life, but they weren't great on last year's Camino - AND they certainly won't last for another long Camino. My Altra Lone Peaks runners have definitely seen better days. Both pairs need to be discarded. And I look online and see that the 6's are out - and some colors are on sale - so I buy 2 pairs (one for walking at home, one for my next Camino). Do I stick to one of my 30L packs or do I attempt to use a 24L on my next Camino (leaning towards 24L).

Ugh... I have another 6 months left of the school year. Will I make it and keep my word? Or will I end up telling my husband that I am leaving in 6 months and 1 day for my next Camino? If I go, what is next? Portuguese from Faro or somewhere near there in Southern Portugal? Or will I finally do the Le Puy? Or will I get really crazy and see how far I can make it in 6 weeks on the Via Francigena? Are any airlines having "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" sales from the US to Europe? If they do - will I be able to resist the urge to buy my tickets now?

*sigh*
Hi @jeanineonthecamino ,
We've been looking at flight costs as well. We have a large credit we need to spend in 2023 from a cancelled flight to somewhere else, but prices just keep getting higher and higher. One ticket now costs more than what two used to cost. My husband has gotten a little spoiled by having an upgraded seat or Economy Plus the last few times we've traveled, too, and listening to him complain about economy seating is tiresome. He doesn't want to sit "apart", but I may just get him his own big seat and I'll squeeze in somewhere.

We love to go to Spain to either walk, go to school, or volunteer and it has become a part of our routine. Life felt very empty in 2020 when we could not go and I did not go in 2021, but stayed home and worked when he went for 2 months. I was so glad to go again last summer. I feel the pull of the Camino calling to me every day and every piece of clothing I have is evaluated for Camino appropriateness. I also pack and unpack my mochilla. I read the Galician newspaper everyday looking for stories about the Camino.

For me it isn't really so important which Camino. We'll probably chose one close to where we get a volunteer assignment and walk to our albergue or walk away at the end of the assignment toward Santiago. For me it is just knowing that I'll be a tiny little part of the bigger Camino culture that gives me peace. So you just dream away, Girl! It will be there whether you get there in 6 months or 6 years. It will always be a part of you.

*sigh*
My Camino backpack is always packed and ready. It saves time. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

*sigh*
We walked in Portugal two months ago. Gorgeous and soooo inexpensive, not only because the Euro is down but Portugal at any time is less expensive than France or Spain. If you really want to do a camino, I would suggest Portugal. There are many options, as you will find in Ivar, in all parts of Portugal. If you are antsy now to hit the paths, I would suggest one of the southern walks, such as the Via Algarviana or the Rota Vicentina, both longer distance. Up north, we zigzagged between the central and coastal caminos. Be creative. Enjoy. Clear your mind, refresh body and soul. The camino beckons!

Our next camino will be Le Puy. Like you, we keep putting that off. The time has come for us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also promised to that I was not walking this year, and have somehow managed to keep it. Although I did have a moment in the spring where I seriously considered doing a short Camino Ingles, in and out of Spain in 2 weeks. I resisted.

As agreed, I am planning my Camino Portugues for next year, hopefully from Faro as well and the idea terrifies me (in a mostly good way) as there are less supports along the way and I'm still in the process of fortifying my "thru-hike brain". lol it's easier for me to imagine the first 2 weeks to Lisbon as a thru-hike to prepare for it. I'm walking Ingles after I complete Portugues because I want a nice vertical path of Faro to Ferrol on my mental map :D

It. Is. Killing. Me. to have to wait 10 more months to walk Camino again. I scour websites and maps and check sites for shoes and play with my spreadsheets and make lists and GAH!!!

Must. Walk. Camino.
I feel like a zombie, but instead of yelling BRAINS! I'm yelling CAMINO!

We walked in Portugal two months ago. Gorgeous and soooo inexpensive, not only because the Euro is down but Portugal at any time is less expensive than France or Spain. If you really want to do a camino, I would suggest Portugal. There are many options, as you will find in Ivar, in all parts of Portugal. If you are antsy now to hit the paths, I would suggest one of the southern walks, such as the Via Algarviana or the Rota Vicentina, both longer distance. Up north, we zigzagged between the central and coastal caminos. Be creative. Enjoy. Clear your mind, refresh body and soul. The camino beckons!

Our next camino will be Le Puy. Like you, we keep putting that off. The time has come for us.

Thanks, good to know that Portugal is even more affordable than Spain! Haven't done Portugal at all yet, so it is on my bucket list.

Yeah - I know the Via Francigena and Le Puy are definitely a bit more expensive than Spain/Portugal. Also - there is the "time" issue. I have enough time off every year to do up to 7 weeks of hiking... and I would want to finish whatever path I started. So - I need more time for Le Puy to get all the way to Santiago and there is no way I can do ALL of the Via Francigena in 7 weeks haha. But they are certainly on my bucket list.

Hi @jeanineonthecamino ,
We've been looking at flight costs as well.
Flights are getting so expensive right now! I am still finding some at prices I am willing to pay (which isn't helping me stay on track for staying home lol)

We love to go to Spain to either walk, go to school, or volunteer and it has become a part of our routine.
I might eventually have to start volunteering - I think I would prefer to learn more Spanish first - but I don't retain it very well unfortunately. And practicing at home is so hard - I live next to the Mexican border so there is plenty of opportunity to practice, but they speak so fast here and my brain cannot process what they are saying fast enough to keep up lol. Really regretting the 2 years I took Latin in high school - I guess it was helpful when I first went into nursing - but since I never practiced it nothing stuck. Spanish would have been so much better.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, good to know that Portugal is even more affordable than Spain! Haven't done Portugal at all yet, so it is on my bucket list.

Yeah - I know the Via Francigena and Le Puy are definitely a bit more expensive than Spain/Portugal. Also - there is the "time" issue. I have enough time off every year to do up to 7 weeks of hiking... and I would want to finish whatever path I started. So - I need more time for Le Puy to get all the way to Santiago and there is no way I can do ALL of the Via Francigena in 7 weeks haha. But they are certainly on my bucket list.
Le Puy to Santiago is indeed ambitious...and time consuming. I've known those who have done it and loved it. I guess you could do it in 7 weeks, but you would be racing. We will only go as far as Moissac, then down to Toulouse. Years ago, we started in Toulouse to Oleron to Somport to Puente La Reina to Logrono, then along the scenic Ebro River to Zaragoza to Monterrat, ending in Manresa. This was our most complicated camino combo.

We find planning so much fun, building anticipation until we are ready to burst onto the trail.

Le Puy to Santiago is indeed ambitious...and time consuming. I've known those who have done it and loved it. I guess you could do it in 7 weeks, but you would be racing. We will only go as far as Moissac, then down to Toulouse. Years ago, we started in Toulouse to Oleron to Somport to Puente La Reina to Logrono, then along the scenic Ebro River to Zaragoza to Monterrat, ending in Manresa. This was our most complicated camino combo.

We find planning so much fun, building anticipation until we are ready to burst onto the trail.
Yeah - I easily did the Norte/Primitivo in 28 walking days - and I think I could cut down a bit on the time to do Le Puy and the Frances.... but I don't want to HAVE to rush. It is one thing if I find myself walking fast (well more like longer distances daily rather than speed) because I want to - but not because I HAVE to.

My daughter is now in college and every weekend she keeps coming home - just long enough to create chaos and stress. Then she leaves. And leaves me exhausted. Between work and family life - I am once again - worn out.

While I believe one should always be prepared for an emergency camino, have you considered what you might do to reduce the stress that your daughter and life are causing in you? Is there a way to say ‘no’ to some of their demands?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While I believe one should always be prepared for an emergency camino, have you considered what you might do to reduce the stress that your daughter and life are causing in you? Is there a way to say ‘no’ to some of their demands?
THAT is the million dollar question. And as much as I try to reduce the stress on me... my family and their problems always seems to follow me around. And when I say "follow me around"... I do mean that quite literally. Nowhere to hide, even for just a few hours. I don't know... something to do with being "mom" lol. Unfortunately... my daughter is struggling right now and I am bearing the brunt to help her cope.

Which is why the Camino keeps a callin! My 2nd pair of Altra Lone Peaks that I ordered the other day just came in the mail today - as did my shorter travel charging cables ;)

*sigh*
A bigger backpack will probably be more comfortable to wear and for me it is better to have spare space than set yourself an unnecessary challenge. Even 30 lt is a lot smaller than most pilgrims take.

My Camino backpack is always packed and ready. It saves time. :)
Mine isn't but I can probably spare the 30 minutes or so I need to get my gear together :) Having a bit of practice helps. On a very wet grey day here in Wales one winter I decided to walk the Via de la Plata. It took less than an hour to book ground transport from home to the airport, a flight to Spain, a train ticket to Sevilla, a bed for the first night, and travel insurance for the journey. From the decision to walk the VdlP to arriving in Spain was less than 72 hours. Detaching oneself from home commitments may be a complicated business but actually walking a Camino is not.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also promised to that I was not walking this year, and have somehow managed to keep it. Although I did have a moment in the spring where I seriously considered doing a short Camino Ingles, in and out of Spain in 2 weeks. I resisted.

As agreed, I am planning my Camino Portugues for next year, hopefully from Faro as well and the idea terrifies me (in a mostly good way) as there are less supports along the way and I'm still in the process of fortifying my "thru-hike brain". lol it's easier for me to imagine the first 2 weeks to Lisbon as a thru-hike to prepare for it. I'm walking Ingles after I complete Portugues because I want a nice vertical path of Faro to Ferrol on my mental map :D

It. Is. Killing. Me. to have to wait 10 more months to walk Camino again. I scour websites and maps and check sites for shoes and play with my spreadsheets and make lists and GAH!!!

Must. Walk. Camino.
I feel like a zombie, but instead of yelling BRAINS! I'm yelling CAMINO!
Yes - the thought of starting in Faro totally makes me nervous too! But, I have walked across Spain twice now, so I MUST walk across Portugal! Starting in Lisbon just seems to be skipping too much Portugal.

And yes - waiting 6 months is hard. Waiting a year and 6 months will be torture!

A bigger backpack will probably be more comfortable to wear and for me it is better to have spare space than set yourself an unnecessary challenge. Even 30 lt is a lot smaller than most pilgrims take.
Yes, but I have already done 2 Caminos with my 30L, and it was only a little over half full on the last Camino. At the moment - I am actually using a 20L to pack my gear since my30L bag is put away in the garage. The majority of my gear is already in it and still has room. All that is left to add to it is a pair of leggings, my chargers, and meds/first aid which don't take up much space at all. I know I can fit all of my gear into my 24L without issues. Only thing I won't have room for is after Camino clothes shopping - which I did the last 2 years. And I won't have a TON of space for food/snacks.... but I will be able to carry enough to get me through each day.

Just an update - it is happening! Well, sort of! After this post, I started planning a possible Camino Portuguese from Faro. I really want to do that some day, but then my focus moved to the Via Francigena. With the ferry issues for pedestrians - I hadn't considered doing the FV, however P&O Ferry's have told the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome that they WILL offer limited daily service (or something to that affect) in 2023 and they ARE listing 2 ferries/day for pilgrims in June. So - I have decided to just jump on the VF for summer 2023! I will of course, come up with a backup train route in case the ferry tickets I buy are cancelled. It will be extremely disappointing and certainly a pain in the neck... but I can make it work.

So, I bought my plane tickets into London and returning from Geneva. It is my hope that I will make it from Canbertbury to St. Bernard's pass (or just beyond to get into Italy). I have 48 days to walk, and I think it takes a lot of people 60 days to do this stretch. Since a lot of the first half is easy terrain, I will walk longer days in the beginning and then take my time once I get to the mountains. Since I have already done the Frances and Norte/Primitivo - I am fairly confident I can make it into Italy. My daughter has decided to come with me. She definitely wants to go to Rome, but she has a few more weeks than I do - so it will be interesting to see if she can make it. Anyhow, hoping it will be cooler when I am doing the longer stretches and then I get to the hills/mountains when it is warmer. Praying that there isn't an early heat wave this summer! I will be starting on Sunday may 28th walking Canterbury to Dover.

I have reservations for the first few nights, then will plan a couple days in advance. I plan to carry my sleeping bag and a bivy for the nights when I either want cheap accommodation or can't find a place to sleep. I figure it will be easier to stealth camp if we don't have actual tents - but we will still have shelter from the elements should it be colder or rain.

Anyway - my husband was fine with me getting the tickets! Oh - and if all goes well - I will finish the VF the next summer. The only downside is I was hoping to go down to a 24L backpack. For a Camino that is fine for me if mostly sleeping in albergues/pensions on a route with lots of food. But unfortunately, looks like I would be smart to always carry 2 days of food reserves for the days I can't find an open supermarket/bar! And then I am adding the bivy too - so my 5kg pack will get a bit heavier again. I do think though - I can still wear my 30L pack. It was only half full for my last Camino - so definitely room for a bivy and I usually had some food in it. As long as I don't have to buy a BIGGER pack - I will be happy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes - the thought of starting in Faro totally makes me nervous too! But, I have walked across Spain twice now, so I MUST walk across Portugal! Starting in Lisbon just seems to be skipping too much Portugal.

And yes - waiting 6 months is hard. Waiting a year and 6 months will be torture!
I will be walking Mid March '23 along the Fishermen's Trail (a 10-12 day walk from Lagos Portugal to Porto Covo), bussing to Lisbon for 2 days rest then beginning the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon to Porto. There us a possibility of continuing the Camino to the boarder of Spain from Porto. I have done the trek from Saint John in Frances to Santiago a few years ago and can't wait for this new adventure. Bom Caminho !!

I wear my loaded Camino backpack walking 40 minutes 5 days a week. To TRY to stay in shape. My friends and neighbors know I am not a homeless person. I am lucky to now have two homes -- here and on the Camino. Buen Camino
That is so funny you say your friends know you are not a homeless person. I have been training for my upcoming Camino with my full pack with my sleeping bag strapped to the back of the pack. When I first went out my boyfriend said I looked like a homeless person. I live in Fort Worth, TX and the option I have for a long continuous walk is a trail that goes through the city with several railroad tracks where half the city walks. I got the strangest looks that day. Usually people smile and say hi but not that day, it gave me a new perspective on how people judge people based on appearance. I can’t wait to get on the Camino with others dressed similar. I have since taken the sleeping bag off the back but still get looks at my feet sporting Tevas with socks.

That is so funny you say your friends know you are not a homeless person. I have been training for my upcoming Camino with my full pack with my sleeping bag strapped to the back of the pack. When I first went out my boyfriend said I looked like a homeless person. I live in Fort Worth, TX and the option I have for a long continuous walk is a trail that goes through the city with several railroad tracks where half the city walks. I got the strangest looks that day. Usually people smile and say hi but not that day, it gave me a new perspective on how people judge people based on appearance. I can’t wait to get on the Camino with others dressed similar. I have since taken the sleeping bag off the back but still get looks at my feet sporting Tevas with socks.
When I start training, I regularly walk with a loaded backpack. Few homeless people around here use trekking poles, so I don't think I am at risk of confusion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back