• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for Aug - Sept

BrenWain

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hi All,
I leave SJPP on Aug 17 and hopefully walking all the way to Santiago by Sept 25. I was wondering if I need to pack wet weather/rain coat gear and warm clothes, like jumper, long pants?

Thanks in advance.

Bren

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, bring some kind of raingear, jacket/trousers or poncho. Also bring some mid-layer to use in combination with a windproof layer. Though the days can be very hot in August/September, the evenings and mornings can be surprisingly cold. Especially when the sky is clear, temperature can drop quite low quickly. I always bring a light fleece-jacket to use with my waterproof all-weather jacket, which works well for me.

Buen Camino!

I think you defo need rain gear (top and bottom) plus long trousers (but not too thick). As said, chilly morning starts and evenings when you stop it's worth having a fleece plus a thermal layer like a very light Down or Synthetic fill jacket (c.250g)....I was cold on Primitivo always in the evenings Wirth just a light fleece

Remember if you bring a rain coat, not a poncho, it can double as a warmth coat. I started on Sept 2, 2022 and after about two weeks it started getting cold. I did have some Columbia Zip Off Pants, but I never zipped them off except for going into a pool early on in the hike.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of the best rain options is an Altus "poncho" raincoat. It's basically an oversized raincoat with zip front, long sleeves, and a hump for the backpack.

If you are starting from SJPdP you can reserve one and pick it up at Boutique du Pèlerine.

I weighed my friend's size small Altus and it was under 325 grams.

You can see more detail on the Caminoteca site (Pilgrim store in Pamplona)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Will be in St Jean hopefully 15 August. Spend the 16 there. Start walking 17 th
Will reach out as we get closer
Staying in Pampalona for 2 days then ST Jean and leave the 17th aswell! - will definately see you then climbing the mountains.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.