• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for Late-April Rain

megan_&_jeff

Hi guys -

We are walking the final 3rd of the Camino Frances (Ponferrada - SdC) at the end of April (leaving from Ponferrada on the 18th)
It will be our first time on the Camino :)
We were told to pack light, and presently plan on light jackets, shorts, t shirt, and one lightweight pair of pants... however, we have looked up the weather forcast and noticed that rain is scheduled for practically the entire walk...
Any suggestions for packing, for those that have done this leg, in the rain?

Also, how likely is the availability of showers/laundry along the way?

Thanks so much, and hoping to see many of you out there, from what it sounds like :)

Buen Camino!

Megan/Jeff

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Showers everywhere. Laundry is done by hand generally, but with rain it often won't dry. Drying machines are available in about 10% of the albergues. You will get used to the rain; lots of times it is more a mist than a rain, but there may be heavy stretches. Expect it and take it in stride.

Don't pack too light for April-May.... it might be quite cold in places, especially for over O-Cebreiro. So take layers of light clothing that you can use for warmth. And enjoy!
Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found the best way to deal with the rain was to wear a pair of light weight nylon pants over a nylon swimsuit that doubled as sleepware. Both dried very quickly. Be sure to take some zip-lock type plastic bags to keep the things in your pack dry. The sandwich size ones are good for keeping your money and passport dry while still being handy in your pocket.

jeff001 said:
I found the best way to deal with the rain was to wear a pair of light weight nylon pants over a nylon swimsuit that doubled as sleepware. Both dried very quickly. Be sure to take some zip-lock type plastic bags to keep the things in your pack dry. The sandwich size ones are good for keeping your money and passport dry while still being handy in your pocket.

Thanks for the ideas - i think we we deffinitely be packing all essentials in plastic bags to avoid disasterous damage to money/passports/etc...

We are mostly concerned about getting lost in low visibility and getting our socks soaked... we both have hiking boots, but once the tops get soaked, it just spreads from there...
We are decidedly going to be cheery in any weather - but being better prepared always helps!

Thanks again!

Megan (and Jeff)

falcon269 said:
Showers everywhere. Laundry is done by hand generally, but with rain it often won't dry. Drying machines are available in about 10% of the albergues. You will get used to the rain; lots of times it is more a mist than a rain, but there may be heavy stretches. Expect it and take it in stride.[/quote/]

Should we be carrying detergent of some kind - for the particularly dirt laundry days? For mud?

Thanks for the info :) We will most certainly take rain as simply an additive tot he experience :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
An ALTUS raincoat-poncho will keep you and your backpack dry - no chance of rain getting into your stuff. A good pair of gaiters-cum-spats will keep your socks and boots dry too. I made a pair out of an old raincoat and they are great. You can make them longer to cover the lower part of your trousers. I used velcro on mine rather than buttons.
They are also great in good weather to keep all the bits of grass and seeds out of your socks.

Attachments

• spats.jpg
    spats.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,059
  • spats1.jpg
    spats1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,053
sillydoll said:
An ALTUS raincoat-poncho will keep you and your backpack dry - no chance of rain getting into your stuff. A good pair of gaiters-cum-spats will keep your socks and boots dry too. I made a pair out of an old raincoat and they are great. You can make them longer to cover the lower part of your trousers. I used velcro on mine rather than buttons.
They are also great in good weather to keep all the bits of grass and seeds out of your socks.

Thank you - these are great ideas - will get on that tomorrow (last day before leaving France for the camino)

Megan

Hi,

You've probably already started, but another idea is to line the inside of your packs with a garbage bag and then put your stuff in the bag. Even if you use a pack cover, sometimes it rains so hard the pack still gets wet. Nice to have the dry clothes at the end of the day ;) I love rain pants! (oh, and the gaitors are my new favorite thing. Keep your pants and socks from getting muddy.)

Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
amgirl5 said:
Hi,

You've probably already started, but another idea is to line the inside of your packs with a garbage bag and then put your stuff in the bag. Even if you use a pack cover, sometimes it rains so hard the pack still gets wet. Nice to have the dry clothes at the end of the day ;) I love rain pants! (oh, and the gaitors are my new favorite thing. Keep your pants and socks from getting muddy.)

Liz
Here in New Zealand where we have lots of rain in our mountains (!!) people regularly use 'pack liners' inside their packs, and these are large very strong plastic bags. I cut two of these down to go in my pack, one for the top part of my pack, and one for the lower part. They lasted perfectly for the nearly three months it took me to go from Le Puy to Santiago. Sometimes people used to worry when they saw me in the pouring rain without a pack cover, but I used to have to tell them to relax..... I had pack liners. And sure enough, none of my gear ever got wet, even when my whole pack got thoroughly saturated!
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back