• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to pack for my First Camino?

Gibbo147

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March April 2020
Hey everyone. This has been asked a million times I am sure, and I have spent weeks researching these and other threads and sites to come up with my list. I am doing a few training walks now, but have yet to buy the pack so its going to be an interesting one. I plan on shopping up a storm this weekend to get the necessary items I don't already have. The shoes are being bought on Friday so I can start walking them in on the daily. I am 41 and relatively fit, I have done 3 half marathons and travel pretty much all the time. I will most probably struggle, but fitness is the last of my concerns - I can always push through. This is my first long distance hike, so advice is definitely valued! What I am worried about is making sure I don't forget anything and at the same time making sure I don't overload my pack and make it an uncomfortable experience. I am here to clear my head, not suffer! With that in mind, would anyone care to cast an eye over my list and see if I am within the norm or if I have over/underdone anything? I am open to any and all criticisms nd advice. I greatly appreciate everyones assistance. Many Thanks.

BackPack
Deuter Futura Pro 40 (Rain Cover)
OR
Osprey Talon 44 (no rain-cover)
Hydration
Hydration pack for chosen backpack (Preferred) or 2 x 500ml Water Bottles???
Shoes
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 -OR- Salamon Speedcross 5 ???? I wear Adidas normally so open to suggestion
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Sea to Summit Silk Stretch Liner Standard
Jacket
1 x Waterproof Light Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
1 x Convertible cargo (Quick Dry)
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
1 x Sleep shorts (light-weight)
1 x Long compression base layer
1 x short compression base layer
Shirts
1 x Long Sleeve quick dry
2 x Short Sleeved quick dry
1 x cotton tee sleep shirt
1 x long compression base layer
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Lightweight wind and waterproof (undecided)
Underwear
4 x quick dry boxers (underArmor)
Socks
3 x silk liners
3 x merino wool mid length/ankle
Towel
1 x MicroFiber quick Dry (k-Way)
Toileteries
1 x Travel Size all in one shampoo
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x travel toothbrush and toothpaste
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
2 x Material Shopping Bags
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
20 x Band Aid (Various Sizes)
Second Skin Spray
Neosporin/Anti Bacterial Ointment
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Hand Sanitiser (travel Size)
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
10 x Clothes Pegs/Bulldog clips
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
Ziplock Bags (Large and Small)
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Head Phones (Jabra Elite)
Charging Bank
Charging Cables (phone, charger, watch and headlight)
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Anti Insect Spray/ointment
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
Wallet, passport, Camino Passport etc (If not fitting into backpack)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks good!

Few quick thoughts...
Don't really need sleepwear as such, just next day's underpants and t shirt will do. Add your baselayers if froz.
Big safety pins not clothes pegs
Don't need knife (bite your bread, ask shopkeepers to open bottles)
Paperwhite - hmm I never have time to read. That's hard to envisage I know, but it's the honest truth. You can also use Pocket or Kindle on your phone.
Ive never used paracord
Band aids aren't enough if you get a proper blister. Consult the many threads on here bickering about blisters.
Tissue packs instead of roll toilet paper - stay cleaner, take up less room
Rather than have a pack cover and / or a small dry bag, get a Sea to Summit full pack liner. Never get damp stuff ever again.
You don't mention sunglasses or sunscreen - always essential
Agree with the material (reusable) shopping bags - massively useful: hand luggage if you check pack in, laundry bag, as well as shopping. Only 1 though
I take a pumice file and you need the means to cut your nails
Not sure why you'd need 4 buffs. Also a buff can be used as a sleep mask.

Last edited:
FOOD for thought, thank you so much Notion900 I truly appreciate the response and time. I shall make note of all the above.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my first Camino, I was 36 and felt very physically fit as well (I hit the gym 5-6 times a week, travel often, and figured my relative youth could carry me through the rest) but I want to caution you, only because I suffered the consequences of that perspective. Make sure you’re making time to do a fair amount of walking training. Walking that kind of distance every day is a different animal, no matter how physically fit you are, so try to do some work before you go so you don’t suffer as I did-people recognized me on the trail by my hobble.

Hi, looks good, below some thoughts:

BackPack
OR
Osprey Talon 44 (no rain-cover) Which ever fits better fully loaded.

Hydration
Hydration pack for chosen backpack (Preferred) or 2 x 500ml Water Bottles??? I prefer normal plastic water bottles.

Flip Flops (For Shower) I never take shower shoes.

Head Light I never take one.

Bed Liner
Sea to Summit Silk Stretch Liner Standard In March/april I would take a light sleeping bag.

1 x Sleep shorts (light-weight) No need for extra clothes to sleep in.
1 x cotton tee sleep shirt No need for extra clothes to sleep in, just wear next days clothes to bed.

Underwear
4 x quick dry boxers (underArmor) 3 are enough.

Medical Kit
20 x Band Aid (Various Sizes) Just a few, you can buy them if you need more.
Needle and thread Hopefully NOT for treating blisters!!!

3m Para Chord Not really necessary.
4 x Buff (Quick Dry) One is enough!
Charging Bank - Normal charging cable is enough.
Leatherman Wave 2/ Leatherman Crater Knife A simple pocket knife is enough.
Kindle Paperwhite Download the Kindle App to your phone and leave this at home.
Anti Insect Spray/ointment - No need for this that time of the year.

Hope that helps,

BC SY

Fair Play Caminoresearcher - I shall do what I can to get some walking in. Any idea of a good routing/distance to walk to prepare better??

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Few quick thoughts...
Don't really need sleepwear as such, just next day's underpants and t shirt will do. Add your baselayers if froz.
Big safety pins not clothes pegs
Don't need knife (bite your bread, ask shopkeepers to open bottles)
Paperwhite - hmm I never have time to read. That's hard to envisage I know, but it's the honest truth. You can also use Pocket or Kindle on your phone.
Ive never used paracord
Band aids aren't enough if you get a proper blister. Consult the many threads on here bickering about blisters.
Tissue packs instead of roll toilet paper - stay cleaner and drier
Rather than have a pack cover and / or a small dry bag, get a Sea to Summit full pack liner. Never get damp stuff ever again.
You don't mention sunglasses or sunscreen - always essential
Agree with the material (reusable) shopping bags - massively useful: hand luggage if you check pack in, laundry bag, as well as shopping
I didn't realize pack liners existed!!! Thanks.

FOOD for thought, thank you so much Notion900 I truly appreciate the response and time. I shall make note of all the above.
Youre welcome! I have made a few edits sorry I just opened up my own list and had a few more thoughts :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey everyone. This has been asked a million times I am sure, and I have spent weeks researching these and other threads and sites to come up with my list. I am doing a few training walks now, but have yet to buy the pack so its going to be an interesting one. I plan on shopping up a storm this weekend to get the necessary items I don't already have. The shoes are being bought on Friday so I can start walking them in on the daily. I am 41 and relatively fit, I have done 3 half marathons and travel pretty much all the time. I will most probably struggle, but fitness is the last of my concerns - I can always push through. This is my first long distance hike, so advice is definitely valued! What I am worried about is making sure I don't forget anything and at the same time making sure I don't overload my pack and make it an uncomfortable experience. I am here to clear my head, not suffer! With that in mind, would anyone care to cast an eye over my list and see if I am within the norm or if I have over/underdone anything? I am open to any and all criticisms nd advice. I greatly appreciate everyones assistance. Many Thanks.

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 -OR- Salamon Speedcross 5 ???? I wear Adidas normally so open to suggestion
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
You don't say when you are walking. I've never needed the base layers you are taking but I wasn't walking in winter. If it is cold enough to need them, it might be cold enough to justify a sleeping bag instead of a sleeping bag liner. I used the Kindle app on my phone rather than bringing a separate Kindle reader. Only you can say whether the weight is worth it to you, I'm not sure why you feel you need 4 buffs. One has been sufficient for me. Two Leatherman tools seems overkill for Camino needs. On my recent Caminos I either took a straightforward Swiss Army knife or, when I was checking luggage, picked up a small, light, simple folding knife when I got there. As others have said, separate sleeping clothes are not really necessary. Instead of flip flops, I took hiking sandals. That gave me flexibility if I had foot problems and wanted to walk in them instead of the shoes (which happened once).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only time you need a headlamp is if you plan to walk in the dark. In five caminos, the only time I’ve started walking in the dark is when it’s an urban setting with streetlights or once on the meseta when I wanted to see the night sky. Perhaps you’ll be a night walker and will appreciate having one.

Try not to bring items that don’t serve multiple purposes. So clothes just to sleep in? Weigh them and ask if something you can walk in would be better. One change of clothes is plenty to haul on your back. I am a fan of a third pair of socks and underwear.

Put everything into your backpack and take it for a 20 km walk. Re-evaluate if you still want to carry all of these items after that.

You don't say when you are walking. I've never needed the base layers you are taking but I wasn't walking in winter. If it is cold enough to need them, it might be cold enough to justify a sleeping bag instead of a sleeping bag liner. I used the Kindle app on my phone rather than bringing a separate Kindle reader. Only you can say whether the weight is worth it to you, I'm not sure why you feel you need 4 buffs. One has been sufficient for me. Two Leatherman tools seems overkill for Camino needs. On my recent Caminos I either took a straightforward Swiss Army knife or, when I was checking luggage, picked up a small, light, simple folding knife when I got there. As others have said, separate sleeping clothes are not really necessary. Instead of flip flops, I took hiking sandals. That gave me flexibility if I had foot problems and wanted to walk in them instead of the shoes (which happened once).
Thank you for the response. I am walking late March early April. The knife simply sits in my pocket but ts definitely not an essential. I can skip that. Thanks. I normally wear one buff around my neck/head and one n my wrist for sweat, but I guess two will do. I will take the Sandals idea under advice and look into that. Thank you so much for getting back and taking the time to read my post.

The only time you need a headlamp is if you plan to walk in the dark. In five caminos, the only time I’ve started walking in the dark is when it’s an urban setting with streetlights or once on the meseta when I wanted to see the night sky. Perhaps you’ll be a night walker and will appreciate having one.

Try not to bring items that don’t serve multiple purposes. So clothes just to sleep in? Weigh them and ask if something you can walk in would be better. One change of clothes is plenty to haul on your back. I am a fan of a third pair of socks and underwear.

Put everything into your backpack and take it for a 20 km walk. Re-evaluate if you still want to carry all of these items after that.
Great advice, thank you o much.

€149,-
There are a few things I would consider changing/adding. Instead of using a pack cover and separate rain gear I would get a rain poncho, it works well and saves a lot of space. Just make sure to get one that covers your pack (try searching Packframe poncho). In addition, having Chacos or Tevas (or some type of open-toed shoe with a strap) instead of flip flops allows you to have a shower shoe but also something you can walk in if you want a break from your regular shoes. I would also consider cutting down a bit in general. I had a 36L pack and it was more than enough. I like water bottles over a bladder, I used two 1 L bottles. Finally, I would recommend bringing a journal, I really enjoyed writing after every day.

There are a few things I would consider changing/adding. Instead of using a pack cover and separate rain gear I would get a rain poncho, it works well and saves a lot of space. Just make sure to get one that covers your pack (try searching Packframe poncho). In addition, having Chacos or Tevas (or some type of open-toed shoe with a strap) instead of flip flops allows you to have a shower shoe but also something you can walk in if you want a break from your regular shoes. I would also consider cutting down a bit in general. I had a 36L pack and it was more than enough. I like water bottles over a bladder, I used two 1 L bottles. Finally, I would recommend bringing a journal, I really enjoyed writing after every day.
Thank you so much. I appreciate the response.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As far as training goes, I always recommend that you do walk at least 10 miles/16 km on at least 3 consecutive days with the shoes/socks/backpack that you are planning to use on the Camino. This is so that you know how your feet and body do with walking long distances day after day. Foot problems often don't show up the first day or two, but after several days you may find that you get hot spots (potential blisters) or actual blisters.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The fewer devices you have with you that need charging, the more chill you'll be.
Fair enough. May ditch the kindle. All I have with me is my headphones for solitude days, watch and phone. The rest I leave behind. really appreciate the advice.

Fair enough. May ditch the kindle. All I have with me is my headphones for solitude days, watch and phone. The rest I leave behind. really appreciate the advice.
I've never even used headphones, even though I use them all the time at home. I have made tons of cool recordings on my phone of nature sounds along the caminos. Even the watch isn't necessary. Your phone is an alarm clock and you probably won't look at the time other than that.

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch

Hi, Gibbo, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum :)

Rather than go through your list, I'll post mine. This is more efficient, and may act to provide an example of what to compare and consider as it applies to the gear and clothing list you've provided.

Please feel free to contact me by Private Message (just click on the avatar, and then select 'Start Conversation') should there be any questions I can help with. :)

Note: I do not include the clothing and stuff I wear with my total backpack weight, only what I carry. What I wear consists of a pair of smartwool socks, a pair of Hoka One One Bondi v 6 running shoes, running shorts, long-sleeved REI crew neck Sahara tech-shirt, and my baseball 'flap' hat.

1581544457700.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Gibbo, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum :)

Rather than go through your list, I'll post mine. This is more efficient, and may act to provide an example of what to compare and consider as it applies to the gear and clothing list you've provided.

Please feel free to contact me by Private Message (just click on the avatar, and then select 'Start Conversation') should there be any questions I can help with. :)

View attachment 69658
Dave thank you so much, this is very helpful. Being in South Africa the brands are a little tricky, but I will compare online and see where I can change and do better. Much appreciated for the offer as well. Very helpful.

Dave thank you so much, this is very helpful. Being in South Africa the brands are a little tricky, but I will compare online and see where I can change and do better. Much appreciated for the offer as well. Very helpful.

You are welcome. Knowing you are from South Africa, I may be able to make some suggestions that you are able to access if any of my listed stuff interests you and is unavailable. Again, feel free to PM me any time. :)

My .02 re: flip-flops/shower shoes: Yes, many people shower in bare feet (I prefer not to when using shared facilities, but to each their own). That said - consider packing a pair of lightweight waterproof shoes like Crocs, Tevas, or (my choice) EVA Birkenstocks to do double duty as shower protection and post-daily walk footwear to give your feet a breathe and a rest?
Good call, ill check them out. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
Tomorrow morning I’ll be struggling to cram a similar amount of goods into my backpack And head out to stop #1, Guillena. Now that I am in Seville and look at all I have brought, I’m thinking this is way too much. It’s a lot.

Tomorrow morning I’ll be struggling to cram a similar amount of goods into my backpack And head out to stop #1, Guillena. Now that I am in Seville and look at all I have brought, I’m thinking this is way too much. It’s a lot.
I’m excited for you. Enjoy the Vdlp !!
Buen camino
Annie

Hi, Heather.

Keep in mind that you can always decide to either dump stuff in donation bins at albergues. . dump stuff in the trash . . . send stuff via Correos to home. . . ship stuff via Correos to your end point on the Camino where you can then retrieve it and take it home with you.

If you are headed to Santiago de Compostela, shipping to Ivar's shop is a great option.

What exactly would you cut down?
I have attached the packing list compiled by my trip leader for you to compare. Please note this was for June/July so some of your needs might be different. The only things I would recommend in addition to this list would be a bandana, hand sanitizer, a lighter (for sterilizing), and instead of a more heavy-duty knife, a smaller pocket knife or a pair of travel scissors. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Spain Packing List.pdf
    163.1 KB · Views: 87

€60,-
You're getting s lot of great feedback. I'll add a few suggestions and echo some others. Overall, it seems like a lot of stuff. My suggested packing list at 4.5kg is also online: http://onestepthenanother.com/camin...nded-gear-for-walking-the-camino-de-santiago/

LOSE / REDUCE:
2 Leatherman knives (probably wont use either)
3 merino socks - reduce to 2 given liners
4 underwear- reduce to 3 max

You may have listed, but I would recommend some type of clothes wash plan. I see clips and line but no detergent. Buen Camino!

BOOTS: KEENs Targee III ... are amongst the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned.
Took me something like 7 to 8 x 5Km walks to wear them in.

BackPack ... well me heart went out to Osprey 38L Kestrel. After a short trial (it ws loaded with 5Kg+), I returned it in favour of Aarn 30L with their add on Pockets.
https://www.aarnpacks.com. I must keep my load well under 5.5Kg and this works for me. At the young and fit age of 41 ... I think the 40L size is correct for you. All of the above advice is excellent.

I seriously considered the Bladder... I will take 2x600ml bottles. Easy to fill / easy acessed and fit in my Aarn Pockets. BackPack built-in water proof liner... the NZ Aarn30L Natural Exhilaration Pack features this.

Congratulations on the big day! I am excited for you. Please let me know how it goes. You get much training in?

I seriously considered the Bladder... I will take 2x600ml bottles. Easy to fill / easy acessed and fit in my Aarn Pockets. BackPack built-in water proof liner... the NZ Aarn30L Natural Exhilaration Pack features this.
Thanks Bruce. Not sure what your post means? Do you recommend the bladder or the bottles?

You're getting s lot of great feedback. I'll add a few suggestions and echo some others. Overall, it seems like a lot of stuff. My suggested packing list at 4.5kg is also online: http://onestepthenanother.com/camin...nded-gear-for-walking-the-camino-de-santiago/

LOSE / REDUCE:
2 Leatherman knives (probably wont use either)
3 merino socks - reduce to 2 given liners
4 underwear- reduce to 3 max

You may have listed, but I would recommend some type of clothes wash plan. I see clips and line but no detergent. Buen Camino!
That is some great feedback indeed. Thank you. I am altering the list as I go and as I get advice. I appreciate it all, and your online list was world class. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Bruce. Not sure what your post means? Do you recommend the bladder or the bottles?

Here is something I wrote on the subject that I've posted in a prior thread:
------------------------------------------------------

This post is written to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles.

I'm NOT writing this post to suggest that I and others who prefer reservoirs are making the best and most superior choice; I am doing this to preempt those who misstate facts to claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go.

1. Sanitation. Bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through use that keeps things fresh. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc) are put into either storage container.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

One study, from 2009:
https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(09)70419-3/fulltext

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and not properly washed out prior to long term storage..

2. Ease of Use. I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight. Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 ounces. The equivalent in bottles around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue of consideration with overall backpack weight.

The other issue is capacity and weight.

No, one does not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. So regardless of container used, water weight is related to the individual's decision about how much to carry, and NOT on a container's capacity.

4. Refills. This is actually a subheading under 'ease of use', but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So if I decide to, say, carry 1.5 liters on a longer stretch between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle and keeping the bottle partially collapsed. That also assures me that I do not need to visualize the amount in the reservoir to be assured of adequate water. :)

The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones. :)

Here is something I wrote on the subject that I've posted in a prior thread:
------------------------------------------------------

This post is written to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles.

I'm NOT writing this post to suggest that I and others who prefer reservoirs are making the best and most superior choice; I am doing this to preempt those who misstate facts to claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go.

1. Sanitation. Bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through use that keeps things fresh. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc) are put into either storage container.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

One study, from 2009:
https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(09)70419-3/fulltext

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and not properly washed out prior to long term storage..

2. Ease of Use. I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight. Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 ounces. The equivalent in bottles around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue of consideration with overall backpack weight.

The other issue is capacity and weight.

No, one does not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. So regardless of container used, water weight is related to the individual's decision about how much to carry, and NOT on a container's capacity.

4. Refills. This is actually a subheading under 'ease of use', but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So if I decide to, say, carry 1.5 liters on a longer stretch between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle and keeping the bottle partially collapsed. That also assures me that I do not need to visualize the amount in the reservoir to be assured of adequate water. :)

The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones. :)

Dave thanks for the feedback. I also like the idea of hydration packs over bottles. I do have one question though, do I need some sort of filtration device? Having not done a Camino yet, I am not sure of the water purity on the route. Is it drinkable or should it be filtered? Thanks again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks DaveBugg for that excellent Bladder vs Bottle scenario ... particularly the ReFill add on. I have decided on the 2x600ml bottles for reason I have given... but may have decided otherwise if I was wise enough to ask, earlier.

Dave thanks for the feedback. I also like the idea of hydration packs over bottles. I do have one question though, do I need some sort of filtration device? Having not done a Camino yet, I am not sure of the water purity on the route. Is it drinkable or should it be filtered? Thanks again.

As someone who has made a career within Public Health at a government health district, I will note that the infrastructure for safe drinking water in Spain is easily the equivalent of any other EU country and other modern, western nations. In general, Spain's drinking water is very safe, and even safer than some other 1st world nations. I never routinely filter my drinking water when in Spain.

At outdoor fuentes/fountains, be watchful for signs stating that water in not meant for drinking, otherwise it is just fine to do refills from the fountains and spigots. Water from regular indoor plumbed sources, like faucets and taps, is just fine.

Thanks DaveBugg for that excellent Bladder vs Bottle scenario ... particularly the ReFill add on. I have decided on the 2x600ml bottles for reason I have given... but may have decided otherwise if I was wise enough to ask, earlier.

As I said in the post, it wasn't about talking someone into changing their preference for using bottles. It is important to go with what you prefer. :)

Hey brother......Buen Camino ! 2 things....research ’Hiker’s Wool’ from New Zealand and listen to Bradley Chermside’s weekly podcast ‘the ‘Pilgrim’s Podcast’.....great for planning essentials. I was episode 26 a couple of weeks ago and offer hopefully lots of good advice from my CF last year......repeating later this year......good luck !

M
Hey brother......Buen Camino ! 2 things....research ’Hiker’s Wool’ from New Zealand and listen to Bradley Chermside’s weekly podcast ‘the ‘Pilgrim’s Podcast’.....great for planning essentials. I was episode 26 a couple of weeks ago and offer hopefully lots of good advice from my CF last year......repeating later this year......good luck !
Martin thanks so much. I am listening to your episode now. Im hoping I can get a bit of training in here. The problem is I live in Spain but I am here (with all my regular luggage) in South Africa on holiday and will only go back to Spain about a week or two before I leave fro the camino. So I can buy SOME of my stuff here, but have to buy my pack etc when I get back to Spain. Its going to be tricky and I think I am going to struggle a bit to get used to the walking, but I will definitely get a few good long walks in here. I will work it out. Thanks for the podcast and great advice.

M

Martin thanks so much. I am listening to your episode now. Im hoping I can get a bit of training in here. The problem is I live in Spain but I am here (with all my regular luggage) in South Africa on holiday and will only go back to Spain about a week or two before I leave fro the camino. So I can buy SOME of my stuff here, but have to buy my pack etc when I get back to Spain. Its going to be tricky and I think I am going to struggle a bit to get used to the walking, but I will definitely get a few good long walks in here. I will work it out. Thanks for the podcast and great advice.
My pleasure.....you’ll be fine, just take your time and find your pace. Hey, one more thing and you’ll know this already living in Spain. The Spanish are addicted to their pharmacies and they are plentiful along the way and very well supplied.....I would take little or no first aid supplies as you will be able to buy what you need along the way (hopefully nothing). Foot care and blisters is all about prevention and not really about cure. If you get blisters, no matter what you do you’re going to suffer.....so work on a system to prevent them in the first place and you won’t need first aid. Hikers wool is brilliant ! Buen Camino

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
Looks like you are carrying too much. The rule of thumb is to carry no more than 10% of your body weight. I always advise people that if their loaded backpack exceeds 17 lbs to take a serious look for what is necessary vs what is convenience or comfort and get rid of it. Weight will impact more on your feet than anything. I learned the hard way and walk the Camino every 3 years.

Yeah I am trying to find out if I can get some around here. I am not too worried about the first aid kit, I have heard that the vaseline and some silk liners and decent socks is a winner. If I fee a hot spot im gonna stop on the spot to sort it out. Like you say - prevention rather than cure...

Two things I haven’t seen above: 1) an extra long charging cable with a multi-USB plug - I could share an outlet with others and the long cord was handy when the power source wasn’t next to me; 2) hydration/vitamin packets or tablets - add to your bottle of water to prevent dehydration and cramping.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two things I haven’t seen above: 1) an extra long charging cable with a multi-USB plug - I could share an outlet with others and the long cord was handy when the power source wasn’t next to me; 2) hydration/vitamin packets or tablets - add to your bottle of water to prevent dehydration and cramping.
Good advice, I do have a multiple usb hub, but not an extra long cable. I shall get one. And hydration tablets is a good call. Would I need them even with 2l of water a day?

Good advice, I do have a multiple usb hub, but not an extra long cable. I shall get one. And hydration tablets is a good call. Would I need them even with 2l of water a day?
I've never used nor needed hydration tablets. The salt and sugar I get in my diet is enough.

I too was worried about forgetting something on my first Camino. But the advice from my son settled me down. He asked -- "Dad, do you have your boots? Do you have a Credit Card? You are packed!!!" I haven't read all the many responses above, but there is nothing you cannot buy on the Camino

Buen Camino
Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch

It comes down to wants and needs. get rid of earplugs, face mask, unnecessary electronics. keep in mind water is plentiful along the CF so you don't need to overly burden yourself with that. a liner is fine for shoulder and summer months. alburgues always have blankets if needed. bottomline, the key is weight. try to keep your pack around 15 pounds all in - lay everything out and eliminate wherever possible. BE RUTHLESS, you will enjoy your trip more. also note, you are never far from civilization so if you really need something, you can buy it there

It comes down to wants and needs. get rid of earplugs, face mask, unnecessary electronics. keep in mind water is plentiful along the CF so you don't need to overly burden yourself with that. a liner is fine for shoulder and summer months. alburgues always have blankets if needed. bottomline, the key is weight. try to keep your pack around 15 pounds all in - lay everything out and eliminate wherever possible. BE RUTHLESS, you will enjoy your trip more. also note, you are never far from civilization so if you really need something, you can buy it there
Sound advice there Rover. Thank you. I am sort of planning th whole pack out thing and I am not overly concerned about it, however being a light sleeper, earplugs and eye mask would pretty much be sure to go with. The rest I fully agree with you on. I am most excited and ready to get going. Thanks for your response.

Sound advice there Rover. Thank you. I am sort of planning th whole pack out thing and I am not overly concerned about it, however being a light sleeper, earplugs and eye mask would pretty much be sure to go with. The rest I fully agree with you on. I am most excited and ready to get going. Thanks for your response.

Last thought . . . I walked the CF solo a couple of years ago. When asked, "why" I had not reason other than the challenge, to see if I could endure 500 miles - - plus getting lost a few tims. As the end closed in, I was asked what are you going to tell friends and family when they ask about your trip, what was it like? It was like describing walking on the moon. I couldn't put it into words, I had no ready made answer. After 6 weeks afoot, meeting others along the way from countries from all over the word, sharing a glass of wine or a meal, nurturing blisters and sore feet, and so much more, at the end i realized this was the transformative experience of my lifetime. I expected nothing but in return I received a gift, it was everything. Standing in the plaza before the cathedral, I din't want it to be over. It was not a feeling of exilleration but rather satisfaction for a job well done. On the way to the airport, I unexpectedly broke down, I was overwhelmed by my experience. I am now planning another long distance adventure with great anticipation. Be safe on the trail, savor the moments and enjoy the journey, perhaps of a lifetime.

Last thought . . . I walked the CF solo a couple of years ago. When asked, "why" I had not reason other than the challenge, to see if I could endure 500 miles - - plus getting lost a few tims. As the end closed in, I was asked what are you going to tell friends and family when they ask about your trip, what was it like? It was like describing walking on the moon. I couldn't put it into words, I had no ready made answer. After 6 weeks afoot, meeting others along the way from countries from all over the word, sharing a glass of wine or a meal, nurturing blisters and sore feet, and so much more, at the end i realized this was the transformative experience of my lifetime. I expected nothing but in return I received a gift, it was everything. Standing in the plaza before the cathedral, I din't want it to be over. It was not a feeling of exilleration but rather satisfaction for a job well done. On the way to the airport, I unexpectedly broke down, I was overwhelmed by my experience. I am now planning another long distance adventure with great anticipation. Be safe on the trail, savor the moments and enjoy the journey, perhaps of a lifetime.
Wow thank you so much for sharing that. At this time of my life I am in a similar space, and have no expectations but secretly I feel something building. I have a feeling this will indeed be a changing point, and dare I say I may consider more long adventures like this in the future. Perhaps more than one Camino as well... Who knows. I am doing it solo and a lot of the time will have headphones in purely to be alone. It is something I need to do more than want to do.

alburgues always have blankets if needed
Not always. The albergue in Roncesvalles doesn't supply blankets, and I've read that some municipal albergues have stopped providing blankets. Best to be prepared to sleep in all of your clothes if necessary.

Not always. The albergue in Roncesvalles doesn't supply blankets, and I've read that some municipal albergues have stopped providing blankets. Best to be prepared to sleep in all of your clothes if necessary.
Good to know... thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Plenty of advice here already so I'll not add to the confusion. Just remember that you're travelling in civilised European countries not the middle of the Gobi desert, there will be shops! Leave out anything you have the slightest doubt about and buy it if you find that you can't live without it. I really don't get the four buffs thing though?
Ultreïa

Plenty of advice here already so I'll not add to the confusion. Just remember that you're travelling in civilised European countries not the middle of the Gobi desert, there will be shops! Leave out anything you have the slightest doubt about and buy it if you find that you can't live without it. I really don't get the four buffs thing though?
Ultreïa
Hey Sixwheeler, thanks for that. The buffs have been changed to two. One for my wrist and one for my neck/head.

Ditch the Merino socks , they are too hot , will steam your feet and take forever to dry . Test the ones you have for your own satisfaction , wash them in hand soap in a basin with lukewarm water and hand wring them out . Pin to a string in the backyard or balcony overnight . Unless they are dry enough to wear the very next morning at 5 or 6 am then they will be nothing but grief on the Camino . There are many technical socks with nice padded soles and heels that have thin light weight upper sections , these are ideal for this type of walk , they won't over heat your feet and are always dry in a matter of hours .

I’m prone to leg cramps so the extra potassium etc in the flavored hydration packets/tablets were a safeguard. Not crucial, really just a preference on some long, hot strenuous days!

Ditch the Merino socks , they are too hot , will steam your feet and take forever to dry .

That certainly could be the case, if one is talking about a heavier weight Merino sock being used during warm weather walking. I certainly would not recommend the use of a heavy or mid weight padded merino sock, unless it is cold weather walking.

I find that a thin-padded weight Merino sock, like the Smartwool Phd that I use, is very breathable, does not make my feet overheat, and do dry fairly quickly. My experience when using a synthetic blend sock, is that they do have a bit of an advantage in drying time, but I think in my case, overall, a good Merino wool sock performs on my feet better than synthetics like a Coolmax.

I think the best advice is what you suggest, Charles. . . try them out. CoolMax and Wigwam are a couple of companies that produce high quality synthetic socks. There are others, too.

Not typically. The amount of potassium and sodium in normal breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, break refreshments, etc is sufficient. Many times, symptoms like cramping, are not due to a shortage of electrolytes, but as a direct result of two issues:

1. Dehydration. Despite perceptions to the contrary, not enough fluid is being consumed.

2. Over-exertion - - one's energy and muscle use is outside of one's fitness levels. This results in a number of byproducts from overworked and oxygen and glycogen depleted muscle tissue, like lactic acids. THESE are what are more likely the cause of cramping.

If one has a true depletion of electrolytes, the primary danger is to the cardiac muscle, and begins to show as arrhythmias. For high energy output by athlete's and soldiers, as examples, extreme exercise outputs during hot weather makes it a challenge to those individuals to stay hydrated, even with very frequent intakes of water.

It is because of the combination of extremely high water intake over short periods of time, during long exposures to heat, during constant heavy exertions, where it becomes a question of maintaining a salts (electrolyte) balance. As a combat medic, that is what I watched for. During clinicals for sports and athletic training program credits, that is how electrolyte supplementation was evaluated, too.

While everyone's body is different, I find it difficult to accept that the common practice of supplementing electrolytes is either needed nor advisable. Especially when considering the problems and side effects that can be caused by unneeded supplementation.

My advice is to ask your doctor if there is a concern about your normal electrolyte usage and intake through diet-only. Keep in mind that two common and effective dietary intakes for electrolyte salts, which provide the most efficient bio-available uptake and use to the body, are oranges and bananas which are easy to obtain. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

€149,-
Ditch the Merino socks , they are too hot , will steam your feet and take forever to dry . Test the ones you have for your own satisfaction , wash them in hand soap in a basin with lukewarm water and hand wring them out . Pin to a string in the backyard or balcony overnight . Unless they are dry enough to wear the very next morning at 5 or 6 am then they will be nothing but grief on the Camino . There are many technical socks with nice padded soles and heels that have thin light weight upper sections , these are ideal for this type of walk , they won't over heat your feet and are always dry in a matter of hours .

This is certainly one strong opinion. I second Dave's advice on sticking to merino. Even on the Florida Trail in the heat of summer I wear my liner socks and merino Darn Toughs. Granted I do *NOT* wear waterproof shoes / boots, but my sock system has become so comfortable that I would actually be afraid (literally) to try something new after all these years.

Fox River Wicking Liner Socks + Darn Tough Hiker Socks + Altra Olympus = a smooth, smooth ride for 20m a day for me.

Your phone is your flashlight. Add 4 big safety pins to use as cloth pins. You are a bit heavy on the first-aid stuff. You can get almost everything there. A short cord with a carabiner is useful for hanging your pack at the end of the bunk. Keep the pack off the floor is a good thing.

Not typically. The amount of potassium and sodium in normal breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, break refreshments, etc is sufficient. Many times, symptoms like cramping, are not due to a shortage of electrolytes, but as a direct result of two issues:

1. Dehydration. Despite perceptions to the contrary, not enough fluid is being consumed.

2. Over-exertion - - one's energy and muscle use is outside of one's fitness levels. This results in a number of byproducts from overworked and oxygen and glycogen depleted muscle tissue, like lactic acids. THESE are what are more likely the cause of cramping.

If one has a true depletion of electrolytes, the primary danger is to the cardiac muscle, and begins to show as arrhythmias. For high energy output by athlete's and soldiers, as examples, extreme exercise outputs during hot weather makes it a challenge to those individuals to stay hydrated, even with very frequent intakes of water.

It is because of the combination of extremely high water intake over short periods of time, during long exposures to heat, during constant heavy exertions, where it becomes a question of maintaining a salts (electrolyte) balance. As a combat medic, that is what I watched for. During clinicals for sports and athletic training program credits, that is how electrolyte supplementation was evaluated, too.

While everyone's body is different, I find it difficult to accept that the common practice of supplementing electrolytes is either needed nor advisable. Especially when considering the problems and side effects that can be caused by unneeded supplementation.

My advice is to ask your doctor if there is a concern about your normal electrolyte usage and intake through diet-only. Keep in mind that two common and effective dietary intakes for electrolyte salts, which provide the most efficient bio-available uptake and use to the body, are oranges and bananas which are easy to obtain. :)
Great advice and experience there boss - much appreciated. Never had a problem with electrolytes and I think a 2l water bladder will do me. I eat way too much salt anyway - but being a personal trainer (16 years experience) the hydration side of things I am ok on. Thanks for all the advice to everyone regarding this. Most helpful!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
When do you leave?

I know everyone has different advice but I think you are way overdoing it. I dumped so much stuff on my first Camino. Even last year (my 3rd one) I still had too much to carry. I had a lot of "just in case" items. The light and power pack are very heavy. A friend of mine dumped his power pack last year--no need for it. The head light is not necessary, if you are walking in the dark your eyes will get used to it and so the light is actually useless. If you need a light in the Alberge use your phone. And if you can't power up your iPhone maybe that is the Camino's way of telling you to "switch off". I brought far too much medical stuff and toiletries last year. If you need something you can buy it in almost every town. I can safely say you will not need 'sleeping meds', having walked all day you will sleep and you do want to be up early to beat the sun. Lush do a great shampoo (it is like a very big round tablet) it will also wash you cloths. One will last about two weeks (do get the box). Your Apple Watch -- leave it at home. I bought a 4€ one, so I had no worries about loosing it or leaving it behind. My Kindle never saw the light of day. So this year I am going to be brutal when it comes to packing.

Make sure you thoroughly test out the liner sock/merino sock combo before you leave. I lost two toenails because of wearing liner socks. They work great for some; not for me.

Make sure you thoroughly test out the liner sock/merino sock combo before you leave. I lost two toenails because of wearing liner socks. They work great for some; not for me.
Yes. You should test out all of your gear and anything else you are bringing. Soap, shampoo, etc.

I know everyone has different advice but I think you are way overdoing it. I dumped so much stuff on my first Camino. Even last year (my 3rd one) I still had too much to carry. I had a lot of "just in case" items. The light and power pack are very heavy. A friend of mine dumped his power pack last year--no need for it. The head light is not necessary, if you are walking in the dark your eyes will get used to it and so the light is actually useless. If you need a light in the Alberge use your phone. And if you can't power up your iPhone maybe that is the Camino's way of telling you to "switch off". I brought far too much medical stuff and toiletries last year. If you need something you can buy it in almost every town. I can safely say you will not need 'sleeping meds', having walked all day you will sleep and you do want to be up early to beat the sun. Lush do a great shampoo (it is like a very big round tablet) it will also wash you cloths. One will last about two weeks (do get the box). Your Apple Watch -- leave it at home. I bought a 4€ one, so I had no worries about loosing it or leaving it behind. My Kindle never saw the light of day. So this year I am going to be brutal when it comes to packing.
I like your 'bring ONLY minimal gear' attitude. I would appreciate knowing what is a basic Medical Stuff?

Fair Play Caminoresearcher - I shall do what I can to get some walking in. Any idea of a good routing/distance to walk to prepare better??
I am sure that there are many good programs available, but one that I recommend is from AussieWalk, which holds the Canberra Walking Festival two-day walks each year. They have two eight week programs that you can easily fit into your schedule if you are working, and which build up to 10km for the shorter walks, or 20/30km for longer walks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok I come from a nation of plan B or if necessary plan C.
If your back back is not with you what do you absolute need to start your walk?
Boots passport credit card top jacket extra undies one bar of soap and meds pick up on the way unless prescription ones everything else you can if you realy need it on the way and cash . Weight of your gear every thing less may bring you further. A guy who had bicycled from Germany to India I asked about the food if ts eatable. He said that’s the wrong the question. So what’s the right one ? Will this further me.? Simple huh. But for me true.

I am sure that there are many good programs available, but one that I recommend is from AussieWalk, which holds the Canberra Walking Festival two-day walks each year. They have two eight week programs that you can easily fit into your schedule if you are working, and which build up to 10km for the shorter walks, or 20/30km for longer walks.
Thanks so much, I will have a look at that and see what I can do to get going. Much appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That
Great advice and much appreciated. The sleeping meds are prescription, and I have severe sleep issues - I would rather look AT them than look FOR them. The kindle is definitely staying and I don't think the head lamp will make the journey either. Each time I get advice I cull my list even more. By the time I have everything laid out before packing, I will cull even more. I appreciate the advice on toiletries. I shall have a look into that. Many thanks.

Ah wow sorry to hear that LucyK, and thanks for the advice. I am currently on the hunt for silk liners and the proper socks I am looking for. Trying to find them in South Africa is not easy. I want to get them soon so that I can test the gear out and make a decision. Great advice, and thank you.

I like your 'bring ONLY minimal gear' attitude. I would appreciate knowing what is a basic Medical Stuff?
Hi Bruce,
My medical packing list for this year will be something like this: Vasilane (so something similar) for my feet, one roll of tape for feet (before hot-spots form), 3-5 foot plasters, Panadol or Ibuprofen. Sun block. Anything I will buy on the way. I discovered that the weight of my medical bag was significant. I bought lots of 'just in case' items at the airport -- waste of money as I left them behind me in Spain. One major no-no is NOT to shower in the morning. Your feet will be softened by the hot water and may not be fully dry -- a sure way to get blisters. I also got a solution from my chiropodist to harden my skin before I left. It was a simple surgical alcohol with some form of very mind acid. My feet were like old boots by the time I left Ireland to travel.

€60,-

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
[

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch

Here some stuff that helped me
Plastic water bottle holder emergency whistle pocket knife small and extendable lock to tie my backpack to the bunk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39

€46,-
And here sowing kit with fishing line for repairs extra bootlace lighter extra pole tips drying line wich works without pegs and mini flashlight and sink plug

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch

I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and took a Hydration bladder and never used it... in fact I took advice from some ultra light through hikers and used two smart water bottles, purchased after going through security. Partway through the walk I recycled them and purchased new bottles (another brand, but similar construction) and refilled them. I never felt short on drinking water, there were plenty of fountains along the way.
For washing myself I took a combo soap/shampoo bar and for my clothes I took Sea to Summit laundry soap sheets.
I took considerably less clothing and still shipped some items onto Ivan in Santiago. That’s a great option should you find you don’t need as much as you had thought.
I took minimal first aid supplies and found drugstores in almost every town and village... in face after an incredibly long day of walking 36.2 k, I looked up the active ingredient in biofreeze and relayed that to a pharmacist who sold me a bengay type ointment that gave great relief!
I hope these suggestions help. Buen Camino

Ah has anybody mentioned to prepare your feet soles a couple of weeks before you go, so they don’t tear and blister easy. A trip to the podiatrists may be well spent money same with the dentist. That what one calls in German when you walk on your gums meaning last leg.

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
That’s good! As others pointed out there’s probably a few things you could leave out like the sleepwear. There are pharmacies all over so don’t worry too much about stuff you could get at a pharmacy. I would bring Leuko tape instead of Band-Aids. I love that Stuff. I’m going to attach a link for my packing video. I could’ve done without the stocking cap I don’t know what I was thinking I should’ve just bought a sun hat instead. Other than that I had everything I needed there was nothing I wish I would’ve brought that I didn’t.

Hey maybe I missed it, but what will you use to carry your stuff to and from the shower? Do you have something to put your dry clothes in while you shower? Sometimes the showers can be a little tight and there is not necessarily any place to hang things.🤔

€60,-

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
If your pants are convertible you may not need 2 x shorts. 1 could be enough. If you purchased an identical pair of convertibles, you could take both shorts and only one set of legs. Safety pins can hold items on a clothes line, but they can also tear ultra light weight items. One THE PACKA could eliminate the need for a light waterproof jacket, pack cover, and light fleece. If you decide to stick with the fleece jacket and want to wear it in the morning if it's chilly, put it on backwards. When you warm up you can pull your arms out without removing your pack. Shoulder straps will keep it in place against your chest. A long bungee cord or a 2" wide webbed strap can be used to hang (suspend) your pack from the top rails of bunk beds. Of the two, I found the strap to be more beneficial than the cord. My towel was forgotten or stolen early on. I used my spare cotton T shirt as a towel. Didn't miss the towel. T shirt worked just fine. Dried fine over night. Your list seems a little "clothes heavy" to me, but that's just me. If you find you are carrying more than you need, you can always ship a box ahead to Ivar. Best wishes. Happy trails.

Hey maybe I missed it, but what will you use to carry your stuff to and from the shower? Do you have something to put your dry clothes in while you shower? Sometimes the showers can be a little tight and there is not necessarily any place to hang things.🤔
I took my dry (fresh) clothes into the shower with me in a dry bag. I used a bungee cord to hang the bag where water would not hit it. I used my Shower Buddy (http://www.theshowerbuddy.com) for bathing and hair washing. Rinsed the suds from it and it dried quickly. It didn't add any weight to my pack. Purchased a Heroclip medium hanger from REI last week. May use that in shower (instead of bungee) or for suspending my pack from the top rails of bunk beds on my next walk.

My notes are below.

BackPack
OR
Osprey Talon 44 (no rain-cover) Too big...I’d go with the 40l
Hydration
Hydration pack for chosen backpack (Preferred) or 2 x 500ml Water Bottles??? If you go with water bottles, I’d bring two one liter collapsible water bottles. There are stretches where one liter total won’t be enough.
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Sea to Summit Silk Stretch Liner Standard If you’re walking in March and April, I’d think hard about bringjng a lightweight sleeping bag or quilt.
Jacket
1 x Waterproof Light Jacket Is this jacket insulated? If not, I’d wonder whether you’ll be warm enough.
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry) I suggest only one
1 x short compression base layer I question whether this is necessary
Shirts
1 x Long Sleeve quick dry In March and April, I might take two of these
1 x cotton tee sleep shirt I’d leave this out...you can wear the short you’ll wear the next day
1 x short compression base layer I’d leave this out
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
4 x quick dry boxers (underArmor) If you’re counting ounces/grams, I’d cut this to three
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper I’d leave this out
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry) Again, if you’re counting ounces/grams, I’m not sure why you’d need 4 buffs...I’d bring one
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Anti Insect Spray/ointment I don’t think you’ll need this
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had a couple of dry bags to sort my stuff less commotion in the morning.
On of my dry bags served for the shower for shopping as my handbag mini rucksack
allways took my valuables with me in it so they would not walk away while I was in the shower.

Aleppo soap with laurel oil served as shampoo a shower gel and washing aid for the in between wash.
If you wash in a washer collect some ivy leaves about 10 put them in a sock ty a knot and wash them , inexpensive and nature friendly.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.