• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for the Norte vs Frances

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hi-
Last year I walked the Frances in July so I have a good understanding of what gear I needed, what I didn't need and what I wish I had.

I will be walking the Norte in July and am curious if I should approach packing differently for it? For folks that have walked both were your needs similar? Were there things you needed on the Norte that you didn't need on the Frances?

I am wondering if it is worth bringing a lightweight jacket on the Norte. I walked the Frances during a heat wave and never needed it. Similarly for rain gear.. I am planning on bringing my poncho and leaving my rain jacket home. Is this a terrible idea?

Thanks!
Michael

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't think of any equipment differences between the Norte and the Frances. The Norte is by the sea though, and that means more moderate temperatures, and more rain on average. In July, both routes are likely to be dry, but I wouldn't set off anywhere without a rain jacket. At minimum, I put it on for the first hour on chilly mornings, and strip it off as the sun does it's thing. Parts of the Norte can be windy near the water as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes as others said no difference, I would take the poncho over the rain coat, so you can leave a backpack cover at home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've walked both in July/Aug. I did not bring warm clothes other than a beanie for the CF. I only suffered twice. I added a fleece for the Norte and was cold many an evening. Also, as the weather was cooler I did not need by water bladder.

Will you be starting in Irun?

The only difference I encountered weather wise is; it will be humid with a bit more precipitation in the beginning on del Norte. Heavy or sprinkles, when or where one just never knows. It rained quite a bit when I left Getaria making me abandon the alternative Flysch trail due to a muddy mess. I didn’t feel any rain after that point. Oh, did I say it will be HUMID! 🤣 No joke.
I started from Irun on July 5 - July 19 then switched to the Frances July 20 - August 15, 2019 for a dry heat. 🥵

Both were warm/hot, I don't have any pictures of myself wearing a jacket on del Norte but a couple pictures with my poncho.

On the Frances I wore my lightweight wind/rain jacket up to and out of O'Cebreiro then the closer I got to Santiago I wore a long sleeve fleece I purchased in Carrion de los Condes as I left early in the mornings to beat the heat.

I did wear more of a hiking shoe (not a boot) on del Norte vs New Balance trial runner I purchased in Leon for CF. I found the hiking shoe on del Norte very helpful for the mud and the constant incline, decline. My feet did very well in them but were just a bit too heavy for CF.

If you haven't already considered it, take a lightweight/breathable long sleeve to protect you from the sun.

Very excited for you and Buen Camino!! 😎

Weather leaving Getaria, July 9th.
IMG_3458.png
After Getaria and the Flysch.
IMG_3494.jpeg
del Norte shoes.
IMG_3568.jpeg
CF shoes found in Leon.
IMG_4056.jpeg

Last edited:
I did the Norte in June 2021. There was a lot of rain, particularly in the Basque Country. I would highly recommend a lightweight umbrella (like the Euroschirm ones that Ivar sells), because you can pull it out and unfurl it in a second, and a poncho for you and your pack, because at some point, you will get caught in a downpour. There were a few days where it rained almost the entire day. The poncho is kind of useless when there is a lot of wind but it's good for light rain.

It also gets cold in the mountains (you will go up and down a lot on the Norte and Primitivo, if you choose to end the Camino that way) at night and early morning (down to 50 degrees F), so I recommend bringing a fleece or wool hoodie. (I didn't use a sleeping bag, just a sleeping bag liner, and, combined with the wool hoodie, it was sufficient). And I second the recommendation for a quick drying swimsuit (and towel) for the beaches, that way you don't have to get your underwear wet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the Norte now. I think it’s been a warm start to June. But even so, I have one long sleeve that has come in handy. But I would bring that on the frances too. Other than that, not much. Can’t rely on frequent cafes so plan for more snacks/lunches based on what you pack. Also, from Irun to Bilbao poles are worth it. I never do poles, but this is one stretch more so than any French or Portuguese that I wish I had them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be walking from Irun to Bilbao, starting in a week. I thought shoes under the ankles would be enough, would do you think? I will take a rain jacket, a light fleece and I am still unsure with taking rain pants or an small umbrella. I heard there can be some rain pours in that area. Would be glad about some feedback…

I will be walking from Irun to Bilbao, starting in a week. I thought shoes under the ankles would be enough, would do you think? I will take a rain jacket, a light fleece and I am still unsure with taking rain pants or an small umbrella. I heard there can be some rain pours in that area. Would be glad about some feedback…
I'm on the Norte now in Ribadesella and I've worn hiking sandals the entire way, if that's any help. I would definitely not bring rain pants. It's been quite warm and you'd be better off with bare legs or quick dry pants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your shoes should be fine. If it has rained, portions of the Camino will be muddy, but if you have a pole or two, it's sufficient stability (I just used a walking stick). As I mentioned above, I'd recommend an umbrella that covers you and your pack, because you can unfurl it in a second and don't have to worry about wearing a poncho or rain jacket when it's not raining (and be hot and humid underneath it) or struggle to put it on (taking your pack off if you are putting on a jacket) after it has started to rain. I've never worn rain pants but they seem like an even bigger pain/problem. Better to wear quick drying clothes.

I'm on the Norte now in Ribadesella and I've worn hiking sandals the entire way, if that's any help. I would definitely not bring rain pants. It's been quite warm and you'd be better off with bare legs or quick dry pants.
Has there been much mud? If so, sandals holding up alright in the mud?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will you be starting in Irun?

The only difference I encountered weather wise is; it will be humid with a bit more precipitation in the beginning on del Norte. Heavy or sprinkles, when or where one just never knows. It rained quite a bit when I left Getaria making me abandon the alternative Flysch trail due to a muddy mess. I didn’t feel any rain after that point. Oh, did I say it will be HUMID! 🤣 No joke.
I started from Irun on July 5 - July 19 then switched to the Frances July 20 - August 15, 2019 for a dry heat. 🥵

Both were warm/hot, I don't have any pictures of myself wearing a jacket on del Norte but a couple pictures with my poncho.

On the Frances I wore my lightweight wind/rain jacket up to and out of O'Cebreiro then the closer I got to Santiago I wore a long sleeve fleece I purchased in Carrion de los Condes as I left early in the mornings to beat the heat.

I did wear more of a hiking shoe (not a boot) on del Norte vs New Balance trial runner I purchased in Leon for CF. I found the hiking shoe on del Norte very helpful for the mud and the constant incline, decline. My feet did very well in them but were just a bit too heavy for CF.

If you haven't already considered it, take a lightweight/breathable long sleeve to protect you from the sun.

Very excited for you and Buen Camino!! 😎

Weather leaving Getaria, July 9th.
View attachment 148887
After Getaria and the Flysch.
View attachment 148879
del Norte shoes.
View attachment 148888
CF shoes found in Leon.
View attachment 148889
Thanks for the wealth of info. I will be starting in Irun and am planning on bringing a long sleeve tee for walking in (sun protection mainly)

On the Norte now. I think it’s been a warm start to June. But even so, I have one long sleeve that has come in handy. But I would bring that on the frances too. Other than that, not much. Can’t rely on frequent cafes so plan for more snacks/lunches based on what you pack. Also, from Irun to Bilbao poles are worth it. I never do poles, but this is one stretch more so than any French or Portuguese that I wish I had them.
Will I struggle to find a daily cafe con leche?

I will be bringing poles with me - my knees won't have it any other way - but thanks for the reminder!

I will be bringing poles with me - my knees won't have it any other way - but thanks for the reminder!
For what it's worth, I never had any problem finding a place to get something to eat or drink at some point in the day. (Unlike the Primitivo, where the Hospitales day is all in the wilderness.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Has there been much mud? If so, sandals holding up alright in the mud?
I switched to sandals on my last Camino del Norte in 2018 because of the mud. So much easier to clean and faster to dry than the trail runners I had been wearing.

I'm afraid so. 🫤 There were a few stages I didn't see anything open until much later. Sadly for me it was too late for a cafe con leche. The morning I left Portugalete just before sunrise I didnt stop until La Arena, three hours later for the most sought-after cafe con leche and spanish tortilla. I continued on, when I got to Onton a local truck pulled up on the narrow road in this tiny village with a grogous display of fresh fruits and vegetables. The locals gathered in no time so I moved on without any loot as it was taking a long time and I wasn't about to elbow my way through the crowd. It was in Miono I finally found a small cafe/bar where I gulped down an iced cold coca cola and relaxed while sipping ice water before moving on through this long tunnel 😬 to Castro Urdiales my stop for the day. It was one of my longest days. Whew!! So, yes, bring snacks and a little extra water and if you see an open cafe first thing in the morning grab that cafe con leche. 😁
IMG_3644.jpeg IMG_3666.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.