• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing gear in waterproof bags?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
Hi, I've been wondering what kinds of bags you have used in previous caminos to separate your different gears inside your backpack.

I was thinking about using a few roll-top dry bags, in case my pack would catch water, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea, since the humidity of certain articles might not get a chance to ventilate and would stay trapped in the dry bag if I had no choice but to pack certain things still slightly humid in the morning when leaving the albergue.

Leading me to another question. Are there things you would absolutely pack in dry bags? (and what would you prefer to put in mesh-type bags that breathe)?
thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I put everything inl very light weight dry bags. Different sizes and colours help make finding stuff easier. No problems with humidity.
Great, that was begining to weigh in my thoughts. Thanks for reassuring me!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't use heavy dry bags but do use lightweight nylon packing cubes to separate my clothes and gear. It helps make the constant packing and unpacking easier. I have a pack cover for rain and a poncho that folds up to the size of a small baseball. (I've only used it a couple of times.) I do keep my phone and passport in a ziplock Baggie. Lightweight, waterproof, and cheap.

I put my clothes or other things that I want to keep organized in 2 small lightweight mesh/cloth bags and a couple gallon size ziplock bags. Rolltop bags are a bit more expensive. I use a trash compactor bag as a liner in the interior of the pack and use a cheap poncho to cover the exterior of the bag in rain. It's hard to beat ziplock bags both for weight and cost effectiveness!

I had nothing but constant rain from Leon to Finisterre...I had packed everything in gallon Ziploc bags...no water leakage problems.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ziploc bags here, too, gallon and half gallon, and I lined my backpack with a trash compacter bag--no rustles and everything stayed dry although it rained all day, every day. Trash compacter bags are much heavier plastic than bin liners, at least in the US.

Ditto ziplock bags. I had a bag liner which worked great - also built-in rain wrap. And with a poncho, stayed dry for the few days of rain in Galicia. Where else??

There is a broad swath of opinion on this issue. My position is that you must use something to protect your rucksack contents as, no matter how waterproof or water resistant your rucksack is, water ALWAYS seems to find a way in. Even absent a driving rain, your perspiration can soak through the heavy rucksack material. Mine does every year.

Personally, I have always used a combination of ziplock bags and assorted color, sil-nylon drawstring bags to organize my gear. I also bring an 8-liter, roll-top sil-nylon dry bag in a bright color (orange or my "signature" lime / Wasabi green) to use if I want to carry bulky items like a rolled fleece zip-front jacket atop my rucksack. The bright color aids safety if I must road-walk. When not used to carry dry clothes, the roll-top dry bag does double duty as a laundry bag. This hybrid system works well for me.

Other folks simply use a white bin-liner (trash bag) to line their rucksack. The light color aids finding gear in dim light (albergues). The only issue with using the single liner is that it can puncture over a month-ling Camino. If water gets in, it does not drain well. I hasten to add that, when you no longer need the large plastic bin liner, DO please dispose of it responsibly.

But, either approach can work.

I hope this helps matters.

From my gear list:

Plastic bags: A decent weight plastic garbage bag to line the inside of your pack and a smaller one to put your sleeping bag into. If you line your backpack with a plastic bag and place all clothes and warm layers inside, any wicking of rainwater into your pack will not soak everything. Additionally, your sleeping bag kept dry at all cost will save the day.

Assorted re-closeable plastic bags - Just a few, for keeping things dry when needed, to close up and capture left over snacks in your pack, and especially to collect your used toilet paper, trailside.

Buen Camino

Plastic bags make a lot of noise and will not win you any friends at the albergue. For separating items (bedding/sleep stuff in one bag, electronis on the other, showertime stuff in the third, etc...) I use simple nylon mesh bags. To keep the rain out I have used my Altus poncho with great success, and this year will add an umbrella to be able to keep the altus mostly open to avoid condensation. So by all means, bring plastic bags of all sorts, but only if you are willing to be the last one to get out of bed.

Hi, I've been wondering what kinds of bags you have used in previous caminos to separate your different gears inside your backpack.

I was thinking about using a few roll-top dry bags, in case my pack would catch water, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea, since the humidity of certain articles might not get a chance to ventilate and would stay trapped in the dry bag if I had no choice but to pack certain things still slightly humid in the morning when leaving the albergue.

Leading me to another question. Are there things you would absolutely pack in dry bags? (and what would you prefer to put in mesh-type bags that breathe)?
thanks!
Hi,

I lined my backpack with a heavy duty trash compactor bag. My clothes, jacket, sleeping bag and other items, I placed in 4 gallon zip lock bags, then rolled up to compress all the air out. Ziplock bags are lightweight and compressible and cheap. Non of the items got wet, and did not have to use rain cover for pack. My Camino started in April, so did not experience the humidity of which you speak. Ziplock bags all the way for me I even used one for my "purse" which carried my money passport, cards etc.
I stand corrected - NOT 4 gallon, but 2.5 Hefty jumbo with slider lock and very thick sturdy - still using the ones from 2014 Camino. The beauty is being able to compress my sleeping bag and clothes, but do agree they are a little noisy! I never wanted to be the pilgrim puttering around before sunrise making all that racket! :)

Last edited:
There is a broad swath of opinion on this issue. My position is that you must use something to protect your rucksack contents as, no matter how waterproof or water resistant your rucksack is, water ALWAYS seems to find a way in. Even absent a driving rain, your perspiration can soak through the heavy rucksack material. Mine does every year.

Other folks simply use a white bin-liner (trash bag) to line their rucksack.

Thank you everybody for your diverse methods!
I must say I'm surprised by how many people are lining their packs with a plastic bag. I did not expect that, but then again, it never occured to me that my sweat could seep into the pack and create moisture.

I was thinking about sorting everything I had into smaller waterproof bags, like you guys mentionned, but I never thought about lining the whole pack. It's a new idea to me. I think it's a good one, too. Thanks!

I've been cycle touring for years using ziplock bags inside the pannier. This method works great for the camino, and it's not expensive. I use the gallon and half gallon, but also the smaller sizes for individual socks and underwear, etc. Everything is organized and dry!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've been cycle touring for years using ziplock bags inside the pannier. This method works great for the camino, and it's not expensive. I use the gallon and half gallon, but also the smaller sizes for individual socks and underwear, etc. Everything is organized and dry!
And they don't make noise like regular plastics bags do.

Agree. Ziplocs aren't noisy (only sound is the whoosh when you squish the excess air out before zipping) and my trash compactor bag made no noise at all. I forgot it was even there.

Waterproof bag liner inside my pack, electronics inside waterproof stuff sack, bathroom kit in ziplock. Clothing inside a mesh bag, sleeping bag is soft stuff sack, everything else is going to be "just stuff it" method. (noticed last time that people that used the just stuff it method of packing were able to pack in a smaller space)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carried two heavy duty trash can liners with me. They weigh nothing and quite effective in keeping stuff dry. Only used them if there was any hint of rain, otherwise they stayed rolled up in a pack compartment. Those in combination with my waterproof pack cover worked nicely.

Take a few spare ziplocs as its not uncommon for them to wear out. Also as an FYI, they do make 2 gallon ziplocs - handy for sleeping bags or larger fleeces

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As some others have mentioned, lining your pack with a trash compactor bag is common practice. I first learned of it from thru hikers here (where it has to last six months or more!). The trash compactor bags are thicker and not noisy as regular plastic grocery bags are (and who still has those anyway?), and they're much cheaper than buying special bags. Everyone also uses zip lock bags inside. Again, easy to find, cheap, can be applied to multiple uses (fill with ice at the bar to soak a sore knee!)

And, as BrienC said, "...and especially to collect your used toilet paper, trailside." Please don't forget to do this!

We used the very light weight dry bags and after a day of walking in the rain we were glad we did. They were light (added about 8 ounces of weight - we used 5 relatively small ones for organization), quiet, and there were a lot of people with wet stuff they were trying to dry out.

We also carried several zip locks for various purposes.

I'm with the drybag brigade. My Exped selection of colourful bags are now about 3 years old and I've never had any leakage. It's a doddle to slide everything into the pack in the morning, as the bags are smooth. Having said that, I do carry a few smaller ziplock bags too, handy for food, documents, etc. I carry my passport, credencial, cards and spare cash around my neck in a waterproof bag, which even accompanies me to the shower room. I haven't lined my whole backpack, never found it necessary. The rain pack cover isn't perfect, but keeps most of the moisture out. I think all the methods mentioned by others are all valid, but I am happy to carry on with mine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Check out sea to summit dry bags. They are really light, colorful, quiet and bombproof. They have replaced most of our ziplocks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been wondering what kinds of bags you have used in previous caminos to separate your different gears inside your backpack.
I use mesh drawstring bags. They pack better because they do not trap air, and I can see through them. I keep my items dry with an Altus/Packa poncho.

I also took a nylon drawstring laundry bag (which was as good as weightless) where I kept my backpack while in the Albergues. Couldn't miss it with its bright purple & white stripes.

I had nothing but constant rain from Leon to Finisterre...I had packed everything in gallon Ziploc bags...no water leakage problems.
What month, time of year were you walking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What month, time of year were you walking?

September 2015...some really unusual weather pattern over northern Spain...extreme heat crossing the Pyrenees Mountains...then a hurricane with 100-km winds in Pamplona...followed by trekking through two days of flood damage...then serious dark cloudy cold mornings with a constant 30-km headwind all the way to Leon...then the rain started...at first it drizzled slightly every time the 30-km constant headwind shifted...and the wind shifted with rain every 2-3 hours...approaching Galicia the rain keep slowly increasing and the wind keep shifting more often...at Azura I finally got hypothermia because it was noticeably raining every 15-20 minutes when the 30-km constant headwind shifted...the first warm sunlight I saw was on arriving in Santiago and I took it as a sign from God like when Noah knew the biblical flood was over...so the next day I decided to continue to Finisterre...and it was in a constantly 7-hour increasing warm rainstorm that was the worst rain day on the Camino...I grew up in Florida and worked construction outdoors in the summer and I thought that I had seen every type of rain but that was the most memorable rainstorm of my life...just imagine taking an upside down warm bathroom shower wearing all of your clothes for seven hours...I poured water out of everything I owned including rain jacket pockets, fanny pack, camera cover, panniers, etc...basically none of the high-tech rain gear that I purchased really worked...the next day the rain finally stopped in Cee...and after arriving in Finisterre I decided to hike to the lighthouse and about halfway I got rained on again...both ways too and from the lighthouse...NOTE...nobody I know that has completed the Camino Frances has ever reported any weather pattern as significant as I experienced but just be aware that it could happen...SO...from my personal experience 1-gallon Ziploc bags worked better than all of the high-tech rain gear that purchased. Buen Camino

September 2015...some really unusual weather pattern over northern Spain...extreme heat crossing the Pyrenees Mountains...then a hurricane with 100-km winds in Pamplona...followed by trekking through two days of flood damage...then serious dark cloudy cold mornings with a constant 30-km headwind all the way to Leon...then the rain started...at first it drizzled slightly every time the 30-km constant headwind shifted...and the wind shifted with rain every 2-3 hours...approaching Galicia the rain keep slowly increasing and the wind keep shifting more often...at Azura I finally got hypothermia because it was noticeably raining every 15-20 minutes when the 30-km constant headwind shifted...the first warm sunlight I saw was on arriving in Santiago and I took it as a sign from God like when Noah knew the biblical flood was over...so the next day I decided to continue to Finisterre...and it was in a constantly 7-hour increasing warm rainstorm that was the worst rain day on the Camino...I grew up in Florida and worked construction outdoors in the summer and I thought that I had seen every type of rain but that was the most memorable rainstorm of my life...just imagine taking an upside down warm bathroom shower wearing all of your clothes for seven hours...I poured water out of everything I owned including rain jacket pockets, fanny pack, camera cover, panniers, etc...basically none of the high-tech rain gear that I purchased really worked...the next day the rain finally stopped in Cee...and after arriving in Finisterre I decided to hike to the lighthouse and about halfway I got rained on again...both ways too and from the lighthouse...NOTE...nobody I know that has completed the Camino Frances has ever reported any weather pattern as significant as I experienced but just be aware that it could happen...SO...from my personal experience 1-gallon Ziploc bags worked better than all of the high-tech rain gear that purchased. Buen Camino
I hope that this September isn't a repeat!

September 2015...some really unusual weather pattern over northern Spain...extreme heat crossing the Pyrenees Mountains...then a hurricane with 100-km winds in Pamplona...

What a difference a year makes. In September 2014 it was super dry, super hot (32 by midmorning if not earlier). Grass was yellow and it only rained 1 days over 3 weeks. Mind you, that was quite the downpour, flooding some villages alaong the way, but the next day was sunny amd warm again.

I'm walking from Porto in early may, anyone want to bet on the weather? ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a difference a year makes. In September 2014 it was super dry, super hot (32 by midmorning if not earlier). Grass was yellow and it only rained 1 days over 3 weeks. Mind you, that was quite the downpour, flooding some villages alaong the way, but the next day was sunny amd warm again.

I'm walking from Porto in early may, anyone want to bet on the weather? ;)
Super hot doesn't sound much better! I'm hoping for a happy medium this September. :)

Super hot doesn't sound much better! I'm hoping for a happy medium this September. :)
Tell me about it: I still cringe when I remember what I smelled like at the end of the day :eek:. To think I went at the end of September to miss the heat...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Confessions of a convert ....... Earlier in this thread I famously reported "Ziploc bags all the way with bin liner to line the pack "

They say that 'the Camino will have it's way' with each of us.

Long story, but now 2/3 of the way through this Camino I have 3 stuff /dry bags & no bin liner with only a few smaller Ziploc bags for food etc.

Couldn't be happier ........ Phew! Confession complete!!

Plastic bags make a lot of noise and will not win you any friends at the albergue. For separating items (bedding/sleep stuff in one bag, electronis on the other, showertime stuff in the third, etc...) I use simple nylon mesh bags. To keep the rain out I have used my Altus poncho with great success, and this year will add an umbrella to be able to keep the altus mostly open to avoid condensation. So by all means, bring plastic bags of all sorts, but only if you are willing to be the last one to get out of bed.
Ha, ha :D One of our dorm "rules" is no rustling of plastic bags early in the morning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Confessions of a convert ....... Earlier in this thread I famously reported "Ziploc bags all the way with bin liner to line the pack "

They say that 'the Camino will have it's way' with each of us.

Long story, but now 2/3 of the way through this Camino I have 3 stuff /dry bags & no bin liner with only a few smaller Ziploc bags for food etc.

Couldn't be happier ........ Phew! Confession complete!!
What changed your mind?

thanks!
I always keep a complete set of dry clothes in a plastic bag and also my towel (if it's dry enough). I use standard large ziploc bags which I get from my local home store or diy. If my stuff is still a little damp and the weather is fine, I pin my towel and/or clothes to the outside of my pack and allow them to air out while I'm walking. I always take along a pack of medium sized safety pins. Everyone on the Camino Frances has seen my underpants by now :)

What changed your mind?
I bought one to put my sleeping bag in & then realised rolling all my clothes in a 12 ltr stuff sac was easier than the limited # of things our largest Ziplocs could hold. So now, one for my sleeping bag one for my clothes and one for my fleece and down vest. Simple as.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.