• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing Help

Sara Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on walking the Camino July (2015)
Hi Everyone!

I'm working on packing for the Camino Frances in mid-June... I've read (from multiple places) that I should aim for 10% of my body weight (before food and water). I feel that I've narrowed it down to the essentials, but I'm 59kg and can't get my pack below 8.5kg... does anyone have a suggested pack list I can look at? My backpack is 1.5kg and my sleeping bag is 700kg. Other than that, all I have are essential toiletries and clothes... any help would be very much appreciated!

Buen Camino!
-Sara

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, @Sara Jean and welcome! The best way for the veteran walkers to help reduce your pack weight is to list everything with weights if possible. I'm sure you will get many tips from that. 700g is a good weight for a sleeping bag, 1.5kgs is a bit heavy for a pack but as long as it is comfortable, that's all that really matters.

You can have a look at my Un-packing list about half way down this clever thread.

Last edited:
Check out the recent posts on pack lists but 8.5 kgs is not bad. In any event, you can always jettison stuff on route if you find you are carrying too much. Chances are that you'll find some "essentials" aren't so essential after all. The 10% of body weight recommendation is just that - a recommendation - and is not a hard and fast rule.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Post up your list, if you are 59kg, you're not a big person and you sure don't want to carry too much.

Okay! I have a list of what I'm planning on packing! I don't have a small scale, so I've been using the regular bathroom scale, and I've just discovered that it's not very accurate... My total weight (by taking the difference between my weight and the weight of me+my fully packed backpack) was 8.3kg. But now, after weighing a lot of things individually and adding it up, the total is 9.35kg! So I don't know if I'm going to getting a very accurate total weight, but my list with approx. weights are listed below... please let me know how you think I can "trim the fat" :) (Some items are lumped together because they didn't weigh enough individually to register any difference from just me and me+the item on the bathroom scale)

• Jacket - 600g
  • Rain Jacket - 400g
  • Sunscreen - 100g
  • 3 pairs socks+3 pairs underwear+2 sports bras - 300g
  • Camera charger+cell phone/kindle charger - 400g
  • 3 tshirts+wicking "sweater"+yoga capris+long pants+shorts (for sleeping) - 1300g
  • sleeping bag+waterproof stuff sack - 1000g
  • quick dry towel - 150g
  • Teva sandals (to wear around after the day of hiking and possibly to hike in some days)+shower flip flops (flip flops weighed next to nothing… didn't register on my scale. I weighed my Newbalance minimus trail shoes instead of my tevas because I don't have them with me and available to weigh) - 1000g
  • Lufa+headlamp+knife+hairbrush+pen (writing)+1st aid kit+small sew kit+rock+wallet+sleep mask+buff+headphones+hand sanitizer+chapstick+small stuff sack+large stuff sack - 1000g
  • personal medication+earplugs+soap+toothbrush+toothpaste+safety pins+tweezers+eyeglass repair kit+sunglasses+baseball hat+kindle+phone+deoderant - 1300g
  • backpack+camera+backpack rain cover - 1800g
  • Hiking Boots (not factored into my original 8.3kg weight) - 1200g

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You are bringing a sweater and a jacket for a June-July Camino Frances? It's not that cold in Spain at that time. You can ditch one of those. Otherwise looks like a good list to me.
cheers

Okay! I have a list of what I'm planning on packing! I don't have a small scale, so I've been using the regular bathroom scale, and I've just discovered that it's not very accurate... My total weight (by taking the difference between my weight and the weight of me+my fully packed backpack) was 8.3kg. But now, after weighing a lot of things individually and adding it up, the total is 9.35kg! So I don't know if I'm going to getting a very accurate total weight, but my list with approx. weights are listed below... please let me know how you think I can "trim the fat" :) (Some items are lumped together because they didn't weigh enough individually to register any difference from just me and me+the item on the bathroom scale)

• Jacket - 600g
  • Rain Jacket - 400g
  • Sunscreen - 100g
  • 3 tshirts+wicking "sweater"+yoga capris+long pants+shorts (for sleeping) - 1300g
  • quick dry towel - 150g
  • Teva sandals (to wear around after the day of hiking and possibly to hike in some days)+shower flip flops (flip flops weighed next to nothing… didn't register on my scale. I weighed my Newbalance minimus trail shoes instead of my tevas because I don't have them with me and available to weigh) - 1000g
  • Lufa+headlamp+knife+hairbrush+pen (writing)+1st aid kit+small sew kit+rock+wallet+sleep mask+buff+headphones+hand sanitizer+chapstick+small stuff sack+large stuff sack - 1000g
  • personal medication+earplugs+soap+toothbrush+toothpaste+safety pins+tweezers+eyeglass repair kit+sunglasses+baseball hat+kindle+phone+deoderant - 1300g

Ditch the jacket, sleeping bag, Teva sandals (use flip flops), hiking boots (use your trail shoes), camera and charger (unless its a smartphone camera) headlamp, first aid kit, kindle, backpack rain cover, eyeglass repair kit.
Try fitting the rest into your 28L daypack and I guarantee you'll be at 6 kg

Sara Jean : can you get access to a kitchen scale? This will get the weight much more accurate.
But yes leave the jacket and leave the Tevas : flipflops or Crocs will do the job too!

Kindle? Why not use the Kindle app on your phone ?Trust me you won't be doing much reading anyway....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sara Jean. Keep the first aid kit, back- pack rain-cover and the eye-glass repair kit. (the well-sighted never weigh their shades and the contacts crowd ignore 350g of eye-wash:)). Ditch the jacket (fleece?). Take out of your pack everything you will be wearing 'cos you won't be carrying it. Ditch the Lufa even though it doesn't weigh anything and don't worry about the weight of the chargers, you'll leave one behind soon enough ;).

Above all do not be weighed down by opinion on this wonderful forum. Put everything that you want to take in your pack, add a litre of water and a picnic lunch. Go for a hike carrying it, preferably a long hike on trails and up and down hills (the Camino is ideal) but locally will do nicely. Try hiking 20k / 15 miles with your pack on. Imagine doing that for 30 days. Adjust your pack accordingly.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ditch the jacket, sleeping bag, Teva sandals (use flip flops), hiking boots (use your trail shoes), camera and charger (unless its a smartphone camera) headlamp, first aid kit, kindle, backpack rain cover, eyeglass repair kit.
If I were to choose between the Tevas and a cheap pair of flip-flops, I would definitely choose the Tevas. They will do double duty (shower shoe and walk-about) way better.
This is your first Camino. Who knows when you will get a chance to do it again. You have invested a lot of time and money on it. Why scrimp on a bringing a camera? I'm glad I did on my first Camino and I took about 500 photos.
Yeah, bring the backpack rain cover and a plastic trash bag to put your stuff in while inside the pack as well. Take it from me. I have had all my kit/equipment get soaking wet while in the field during heavy rains. It sucks and takes forever to dry. You don't want to experience it.

• Jacket - leave it at home
  • 3 pairs socks+3 pairs underwear+2 sports bras - 300g - take just 2 pair of socks/underwear
  • Camera charger+cell phone/kindle charger - 400g - Does your phone take photos? If yes, leave the camera
  • 3 tshirts+wicking "sweater"+yoga capris+long pants+shorts (for sleeping) - 1300g - take only 2 tshirts and leave the sweater at home

• Teva sandals +shower flip flops- 1000g - leave one of them home. Take EITHER Teveas or flip flops
  • Lufa+headlamp+knife+hairbrush+pen (writing)+1st aid kit+small sew kit+rock+wallet+sleep mask+buff+headphones+hand sanitizer+chapstick+small stuff sack+large stuff sack - 1000g - Leave the lufa, the knife, the headphones (there's no way I'd wear headphones right now on the trail)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A lot of good advice there. Also as a Teva fan I can tell you that they most probably weigh 4-600g, not 1000. I would definitely take them over flipflops. And that heavy jacket will be dead weight - if you are cold, chances are it's because it's raining, in which case you should be wearing your rain jacket. If it's a fleece, it's a much too heavy one! I agree about packing the stuff you don't intend to wear and going for a good long walk. Pack list adjustment is much easier after.

Oh, and yes! Trail shoes over boots in the summer!

Hi hi Sara. Some thoughts on your packing list

I spent a lot on a very light sleeping bag. Used it for the first week when it was snowing and then
switched to using blankets. Far more comfortable. Pack a silk liner and use blankets. That's got
you almost a kilo back already.

I would take a camera. Putting quality to one side, I think using a camera makes you think a little more
about composition.

Underwear and socks ? One on, one in the wash sounds good, but it puts pressure on you every night
to get a wash AND a dry done. I just couldn't manage some nights to do that, but the weather was colder
than you're likely to have and getting clothes dry was difficult. Some times I was just too tired to get it all
sorted. Your all up weight of 300g isn't too bad. My marino wool underwear and socks came to almost twice
that but were fabulously comfortable.

Leave the Kindle.

A Lufa ! Awesome. Please don't leave it behind. The towel ? Figure out how much you need for modesty then cut the rest off. I took half
a travel towel and it was more than adequate.

You don't mention poles ? I know it divides opinions but they were invaluable for me. Took the weight of the
pack away from my back.

You say some things are too light to weigh separately. Put all the small things into a bog and weigh them
together. This was my big breakthrough. It was the little things that collectively were piling the weight on.
The weight was in the detail. Once I understood this I really made progress on getting the weight down.
It's worth it. On the day I had to carry another pilgrims pack I really suffered.

Take courage. You're already doing a lot better than many of the people I was walked with.

Buen Camino Sara

• Jacket - 600g
  • Rain Jacket - 400g
  • Sunscreen - 100g
  • quick dry towel - 150g
http://francistapon.com/Travels/Continental-Divide-Trail/CDT-Gear-List

Have a look at this guy and the way he reduced the weight. Unbelievable... Just take whatever and you will ditch or send the stuff home. I sometimes take some 'one way clothes' to get the weight down so that I can then add food etc. Experience is the best teacher. I always take a cotton pareo which makes my bed a colourful 'home' and serves many other purposes. Added unnecessary weight but worth every gramme.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It appears to me that there might be some opportunities to think of combining some things to reduce weight, rather than necessarily eliminating. For example, I only carry a light fleece, but use my rain jacket as part of my layering on cold mornings even if it isn't raining.

I also have electronic devices that can be charged from a USB charger, and then only have to carry one of those - I take the one that came with my tablet, which has the highest available charge current. Next year I will be considering a combined travel adaptor/USB charger if the weight make sense.

As already noted, it is more difficult for very light people to get down to a 10% target. But it is just that, at target. It is not a hard limit. I much prefer using a from the skin out target, which captures all the things that you intend to carry. You will see this mentioned at the link @filly posted. My view is that an FSO target of 20% of your body mass is about right for the Camino. This would give you a target weight of 11.8kg, and based on the weights you have given us, you would have a buffer of about 2.3kg. If the weights you have already provided include the gear you will be wearing, this is quite a reasonable buffer for water and any food you want to carry.

The other thing is that your walk will be more comfortable the lighter you can get your load. Whether it is speed or endurance, carrying more reduces what you can achieve on any day. To walk far, or fast, carry less.

I'd get a pair of plastic clogs at a dollar store - they look like crocs but you don't need a $30.00 pair. Leave the Tevas and the flip flops at home and use the clogs in the shower and around the albergue. Your shoes/boots are used for any outdoor walking. That gets rid of 1 kg (or whatever the tevas actually weigh).

You don't need a phone. If weight is really a problem ... you don't need a camera either ... A kindle weighs less than several books ... maybe you can get your camino guide e-reader format and a lonely planet for Spain.

Why do you need headphones, rock (rock?), knife, baseball, and sleep mask?

BTW if the rock is for cruz de ferro ... only rocks over 1 kg are accepted. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone!

I'm working on packing for the Camino Frances in mid-June... I've read (from multiple places) that I should aim for 10% of my body weight (before food and water). I feel that I've narrowed it down to the essentials, but I'm 59kg and can't get my pack below 8.5kg... does anyone have a suggested pack list I can look at? My backpack is 1.5kg and my sleeping bag is 700kg. Other than that, all I have are essential toiletries and clothes... any help would be very much appreciated!

Buen Camino!
-Sara

I'm about the same size as you, Sara, and I decided after packing for my second Camino, that the 10% rule wasn't going to work for me (it hadn't worked yet, and I'd been just fine with what I'd carried so far). So, I follow a 15% guideline instead. :) As long as I'm at 9.5kg max (or 10kg by the end, with souvenirs and Cola Cao in my pack, before I fly home), I'm comfortable. That said, I'm getting ready for a second summer Camino now and I'm curious to find out how much less I can take than last time. I walked in June-July of 2012 and it was really hot compared to my two previous Sept.-Oct. trips. There was a heatwave when I was in Castrojeriz, and it was too hot to sleep in anything really! But I am always happy to have both my sleeping bag and liner. The night I was in Rabanal was so cold that the albergue had a roaring fire in the fireplace (in mid-July). And for me, having the sleeping bag is also protection against bed bugs and nice for general hygiene (eg. in albergues that don't have disposable mattress covers). Some other pilgrims would probably disagree. We're all individuals and there must be at least 500 possible packing lists out there!

One thing on your list that I wouldn't take is the shorts for sleeping. I took shorts last time and never wore them. I slept in my leggings for the next day (they're merino wool so they keep me cool when it's warm, in addition to keeping me warm when it's cool). Someone suggested not taking headphones, but mine have been invaluable to help me get to sleep in many albergues along the way -- I listen to drown out the snoring, until I'm on the verge of sleep, and then I drift off easily (I never use earplugs, don't need them). I am currently deciding what to do about extra footwear. I had flip-flops on my first and second Camino for the shower, but not on my last one. The Tevas are nice because they can be worn in the evening but can also be worn on the trail if you have blisters, for example (I have Keens for the same purpose). The Croc-style footwear suggestion can work for both applications. I'm looking for a pair of those right now, where I am overseas (mine are at home in Canada), and if I can find them in time I'll take them with me.

The only other thing I'd say is that hiking boots can be pretty hot on the Camino, especially in summer. I'm going in Adidas running shoes (I've worn those for every Camino so far; a new pair for each, of course!). You may find you want to be in your Tevas more often because of that.

Buen Camino!

Rachel

Sara Jean : can you get access to a kitchen scale? This will get the weight much more accurate.
But yes leave the jacket and leave the Tevas : flipflops or Crocs will do the job too!

Kindle? Why not use the Kindle app on your phone ?Trust me you won't be doing much reading anyway....
Hi Sara - I agree with SabineP, lose the Kindle it is heavier than you think - the only time for reading is at the airports otherwise it is sleep; food; drink walk. A sleeping bag is not essential, simple sheets and a t-shirt (plus shorts of course) if really cold at night in the mountains put a light weight thermal vest on - with 12+ in the dorms it gets warm at night time. Flip-flops for the shower sandals for the restaurant, boots for walking.
Bien Camino

• Jacket - 600g
  • Rain Jacket - 400g
  • Sunscreen - 100g
  • quick dry towel - 150g
Hi Sara - why a jacket and rain jacket (total weight 1kg) - lose the jacket take a lighter weight t-shirt and a neck-scarf / buff. Make sure the soap and toothpaste etc are all travel size toiletries are easy to but on route. Walking poles are a great support on the hills both up and down especially if wet. I had sock liners and socks and changed them at lunchtime when walking all day spray feet with surgical spirits - result 250km; 10days; 0 blisters :) very happy feet. Remember 2 x 0.5L of water weighs 1kg essential to keep hydrated.
Bien Camino

Hi, Sara! We (our family) will be walking the Camino Frances the same time. This is our first camino, too. I finally talked my wife and daughter out of taking their feather-weight sleeping bags. I bought silk bag liners (type with the slit that hold the pillow inside, too) and treated them with permethrin against bedbugs. Aside from this, I've read that most albergues have blankets and it really shouldn't get cold the time we're traveling. The veteran pilgrims know may know better, but we're all taking a light micro-fiber fleece for those cold mornings in Galicia. They weigh very little and, if needed, will serve in those few albergues without blankets. All the best and hopefully we'll meet along the way!
Lloyd

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is your first Camino. Who knows when you will get a chance to do it again. You have invested a lot of time and money on it. Why scrimp on a bringing a camera? I'm glad I did on my first Camino and I took about 500 photos.
Half way through my first camino right now.

I have taken about 500 photos and 400 short HD videos......on my phone.

I just finished the Camino and I agree with some of the above, but not all. Keep the rain jacket, but not the jacket. The Teva sandals I had were very heavy and very bulky. I would look for some lighter weight sandals. Use your smartphone for a camera, although I wish I had taken my GoPro Camera. Ditch the regular camera. The backpack rain cover does not weigh that much or take up that much space - I would keep it. However, I only used it three or four times on the Camino. No eyeglass repair kit. I would not take a kindle, but that's me. Hardly used my headlamp.
First aid kit. I would spend some time outfitting this item. I used just about everything I brought. Aspirin, Neosporin, band aids, bandages, etc. I would not get too aggressive here.
I used non-waterproof shoes and did not regret having them. In other words, I would not use waterproof shoes. Flip flops for shower shoes and walking about town is a good suggestion to reduce weight.
Hope this helps.

Half way through my first camino right now.

I have taken about 500 photos and 400 short HD videos......on my phone.
I had no phone on my first Camino. No rain gear. No sleeping bag/liner. No pack cover. No jacket/fleece. Not even a pair of long pants.
I did have a camera, though.
:cool:

I had no phone on my first Camino. No rain gear. No sleeping bag/liner. No pack cover. No jacket/fleece. Not even a pair of long pants.
I did have a camera, though.
:cool:

And your point is? :)

You got great photos whilst you were cold and wet ? ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would jettison either the jacket or the sweater. Do you need both? Put a Kindle app on your phone and leave behind the Kindle. Do you need both the Tevas and the flip flops? I know that there has been a discussion on here about flip flops vs. Crocs so you'll likely get feedback in that regard. I personally would go with the flip flops. I would also use hiking shoes vs. hiking boots. Boots are more appropriate for wilderness hiking.

I found the phone to be the most important item I carried.
I didn't carry one on my second Camino either. Well, one that worked in Spain anyway. I don't have international service on my smartphone and I never made advance reservations at albergues, etc. I kept in touch back home with an 8" tablet I carried in a neoprene sleeve. Would shoot them emails everyday.

I just finished the Camino and I agree with some of the above, but not all. Keep the rain jacket, but not the jacket. The Teva sandals I had were very heavy and very bulky. I would look for some lighter weight sandals. Use your smartphone for a camera, although I wish I had taken my GoPro Camera. Ditch the regular camera. .....

joe g: Can you tell me why you wished for the GoPro?--I'm about to leave and can't decide if I should have this in addition to an iphone with Spain sim card. Thanks,

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
joe g: Can you tell me why you wished for the GoPro?--I'm about to leave and can't decide if I should have this in addition to an iphone with Spain sim card. Thanks,
Mainly because I could have mounted the GoPro on my backpack. I also used my I Phone to listen to my playlist, so it was inconvenient to keep switching the phone to use it as a camera. Also, I think the GoPro is better at videos and wide angle shots.
I also don't think you need to buy a sim card in Spain. Download and use Skype on your smart phone. I found Skype to be very useful, user-friendly and very economical.

Mainly because I could have mounted the GoPro on my backpack. I also used my I Phone to listen to my playlist, so it was inconvenient to keep switching the phone to use it as a camera. Also, I think the GoPro is better at videos and wide angle shots.
I also don't think you need to buy a sim card in Spain. Download and use Skype on your smart phone. I found Skype to be very useful, user-friendly and very economical.

Thanks joe g. I just bought a clip for the GoPro.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you should get a sleeping bag liner or a bivy and bring that instead of the sleeping bag. And also you should bring some Vaseline to put on your feet. I didn't. Get any blisters.

I took my Gopro Hero 4 with me on my last Portugese caminho which ended a week ago.
I used mine fixed on a selfmade harnas. It worked out great. I shot over 5 hours video and editing it now on my Mac. I like the medium wide angle set up the most.image.jpg
I kept the camera in the skeleton house but changed the closed backdoor to the open one.so the sound is better. The camera weighs allmost nothing and is ready for direct shooting on the harnass.
I took 3 spare batteries with me but at the end I could have done it with one spare.
Before a battery was flat, I used it during to walking days, it took about 2 days .
The original Gopro charger I used with the usb cable and my iphone plug. image.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back