• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List Camino Frances Mid May (Honeymoon)

pilgrimadam

Time of past OR future Camino
May/june 2014 Camino Frances
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I booked our flights and are excited to be spending our honeymoon on the Camino Frances starting in SJPP in mid May.

Listed below is a packing list I put together. I am confident in the gear listed as I have used most of it on various long distance backpacking trips in the States; however, I realize the Camino is a different trek and I would love to hear some thoughts or ideas from other pilgrims as to what has worked for them. My current pack weight is approximately 11 pounds (4.9 kilos) including 1 full liter of water.

Packing List

1x Golite Dawn pack - 2,200 cubic inches (41 liters)

PACKED - Main Backpack Compartment:

===================================

1x 36 inch cut down ridge rest sleeping pad (folded works as internal frame for pack, plus sitting or sleeping pad)
1x Garbage bag (used to line main pack compartment will also bring one extra as an emergency pack cover)
1x large silnylon stuff sack
1x silk liner for sleeping
3x extra ziplock bags
2x light weight Wright socks
1x light/mid weight sock that will be used for sleeping or mittens in a pinch
1x Patagonia capilene (#2) thermal shirt
1x light weight Merrell running short sleeve shirt (Could be worn hiking, or for sleeping)
1x Columbia Men's Palmerstone Peak shorts (quick drying, light weight and great for sleeping, hiking, swimming)
1x Eddie Bauer Travex short sleeve button down shirt (Quick drying for wear to church or dinner/after hiking)

1x mesh toiletries bag
1x toilet paper
1x quick drying towel
1x compact soap sheets
2x earplugs
1x dental floss
1x tooth brush
1x tooth paste (small)
small first aid kit/blister treatment
small sewing kit

PACKED main compartment top of pack accessible

1x Golite Whisper - primaloft sweater (Good for cold nights and can be a great pillow)
1x Frogg Toggs Classic Jacket - Rain jacket
1x Frogg Toggs Classic Rain pant (If these are dry on a cold night they make a mean pair of pajamas when broken in)
1x lightweight winter hat

Backpack Outer Middle Mesh Compartment

1x Pilgrims Guide Book - Rother Walking Guide
1x compact mylar blanket (Just in case)
1x spoon
1x clip on red led light
snacks for the day or two
pen
small sun block

RIGHT side Water bottle holder
1x 1 iter (33.8 oz) bottle of water (if it gets nasty, I'll recycle it and replace it with another)

LEFT side Water bottle holder

Ultra light foam sandals for shower and relaxing

CARRIED
1 x Set of Leki Trekking Poles

CLOTHING WORN/ACCESSORIES
Altra Lone Peak Trail Shoes (confident that they can make it the whole way)
Wright socks (light weight synthetic)
Eastern Mountain Sports zip off pants
ExOfficio Give and Go boxers
Ball cap
Long sleeve button down Columbia trekking shirt
watch
bandana (To keep sun of the back of my neck)
sunglasses
mini Swiss army pocket knife
daily cash and pilgrim passport
harmonica

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds nice and light so should give you a good walk - just make sure you have room in case you need to help your partner with their burden as well - we may see you as we start from SJ on the 16th May - Buen Camino

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Sounds nice and light so should give you a good walk - just make sure you have room in case you need to help your partner with their burden as well - we may see you as we start from SJ on the 16th May - Buen Camino

Hi Larry,

Your post scored some major points with my wife :) I do have extra space in my pack to account for any extra gear to help out if needed. She is packing in a similar style to myself and is also an experienced backpacker, but its always best to be prepared for anything. We're not certain of our start date in SJPP, but our paths may cross!

Thanks again
Adam

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Can you tell me about the foam sandals. I am allergic to rubber and latex so need to be careful and can't wear traditional Australian thongs !! Thanks

I'm impressed!
11 pounds is awesome - I'm going to study this list and see if I can drop any weight.

A mylar blanket is an excellent idea, really, for those few situations where the albergue is freezing cold even in June! They weigh next to nothing and are tiny.

Questions: Tell me about Frogg Toggs. I'm looking for a featherweight pair of rain gear.
Are these lightweight? Flexible? Warm?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My Comments in Red, most made in gest ......

My wife and I booked our flights and are excited to be spending our honeymoon on the Camino Frances starting in SJPP in mid May.
Listed below is a packing list I put together. I am confident in the gear listed (have you discussed and agreed it with your better half?) as I (should you not be using "We"?) have used most of it on various long distance backpacking trips in the States; however, I realize the Camino is a different trek and I would love (be careful how you use this word not that you are about to get married .... ) to hear some thoughts or ideas from other pilgrims as to what has worked for them. My (.... Our .... ) current pack weight is ( .... are .... ) approximately 11 pounds (4.9 kilos) including 1 full liter of water ...... A 3.9KG packpack sounds a tad on the heavy side!!!

Packing List – .... If your wedding is as well planned as this list then your wedding should go off without a hitch …
1x Golite Dawn pack - 2,200 cubic inches (41 liters) – ...... Just one backpack between two, a tad on the light side ….. consider bringing a second backpack just in case you cannot carry everything. I know as a man you are expected to carry things but carry all her gear for 800KMS is a bit extreme ....?

1x 36 inch cut down ridge rest sleeping pad (folded works as internal frame for pack, plus sitting or sleeping pad) ..... sounds like it fits just one person?
1x Garbage bag (used to line main pack compartment will also bring one extra as an emergency pack cover) – ....... Can I suggest that you discuss your issues and avoid dumping in the garbage bag as it is a "crap" way to manage a relationship and likely to lead to a "rubbish" Camino.
1x silk liner for sleeping ...... very sxxy
3x extra ziplock bags ...... sounds scarry
2x light weight Wright socks - ........ remember that you are always "Wrong" and she is always "Wright"
1x Patagonia capilene (#2) thermal shirt – ...... long sleeve ?
1x light weight Merrell running short sleeve shirt (Could be worn hiking, or for sleeping)
1x Columbia Men's Palmerstone Peak shorts (quick drying, light weight and great for sleeping, hiking, swimming)
1x Eddie Bauer Travex short sleeve button down shirt (Quick drying for wear to church or dinner/after hiking) ...... What is your wife going to wear? Walk in the buff?
1x mesh toiletries bag
1x toilet paper – ....... Can I suggest that you consider bringing a roll or at least a ½ roll as women like their loo roll even if you do not need it.
1x quick drying towel
1x compact soap sheets
2x earplugs – ........ Does not sound good if you feel the need to bring ear plugs … it is good to talk but even more important to listen.
1x dental floss – ........ Possibly not ideal underwear especially for a man
1x tooth brush – ...... Sweet to see that you are prepared to share your tooth brush and in the process save some weight …
1x tooth paste (small)
small sewing kit – ..... Metro sexual ......... modern man …. well impressinve ….
1x Golite Whisper - primaloft sweater (Good for cold nights and can be a great pillow) ... obviously do not plan to cuddle up together .....
1x Frogg Toggs Classic Rain pant (If these are dry on a cold night they make a mean pair of pajamas when broken in)
1x spoon
1x clip on red led light –
pen
small sun block
1x 1 iter (33.8 oz) bottle of water (if it gets nasty, I'll recycle it and replace it with another)
CARRIED

Eastern Mountain Sports zip off pants - ........ planning on doing the "full monty" .....no stripping please ..... we are pilgrms!!!!
ExOfficio Give and Go boxers – Good to see that you are prepared to “Give and Go” v “Give and Take”
Ball cap – ..... You make no reference to bringing a ball so why the ball cap?
watch
sunglasses
harmonica[/quote]

Missing items might include:
  • A wide brimmed hat as the sun is likely to be very strong
  • Walking Gloves
  • Cereal Bowl and Spork so that you can have a descent breakfast every morning
  • Lunch box for carrying food for picnics
  • Bag cover just in case it rains
  • Note book for keeping a diary
  • Two way radios in case you decide to walk separately from each other but want to stay connected.
  • Spend time planning on how you will walk together and how you might resolve different conflict scenarios eg one partner decides they have had enough and want to go to Madrid ....
  • Sleeping bag
  • Gloves
  • Passport / ID Card - you will not be able to leave your country much less get into Spain
  • Compression leg sleeves made by the likes of Skins, Salmon
  • Two long sleeved under and two over shirts - made with coolmax
  • One tennis ball for stretching out your feet
On a more serious note ......

I think that you seem to have a pretty descent pack and gear. To tweo ..... walk the Camino on your Honeymoon should be a truly amazing experience but not without risks. Become aware of the risks and your will be able to deal with them. The unusual environment, weather etc is likely to give rise to issues. Spend time before going discussing what you want from the Camino as individuals and as a couple making sure that you walk on the same hymn sheet and have strategies for when you are not .....

C

I'm impressed!
11 pounds is awesome - I'm going to study this list and see if I can drop any weight.

A mylar blanket is an excellent idea, really, for those few situations where the albergue is freezing cold even in June! They weigh next to nothing and are tiny.

Questions: Tell me about Frogg Toggs. I'm looking for a featherweight pair of rain gear.
Are these lightweight? Flexible? Warm?

Hi Anniesantiago,

My experience with Frogg Toggs has been positive. I used them on the Appalachian Train in 2000 and for various other adventures since then. My current rain suit is a few years old and still works very well, however I am not sure if in that time they have made any updates that could affect the quality.

Pros:
-Light weight
-warm or at least warm enough for me
-comfortable once broken in
-waterproof
- reasonably priced if you shop around

Things that some people might consider cons:
No pockets or extra bells and whistles like pit vents.
Can tear easy if you catch a branch.
The material they are made out of almost feels paper like and can be a little stiff. Once broken in, I think they are very comfortable.

The best thing to do would be to track down an outfitter that carries them and see for yourself. Below are a few links for the "Original Pro Action Rain Pant" If you shop around you

http://www.basspro.com/Frogg-Toggs-Original-Pro-Action-Rain-Pant-for-Men/product/11102505011012/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frog...=frogg+toggs&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

My Comments in Red, most made in gest ......

Listed below is a packing list I put together. I am confident in the gear listed (have you discussed and agreed it with your better half?) as I (should you not be using "We"?) have used most of it on various long distance backpacking trips in the States; however, I realize the Camino is a different trek and I would love (be careful how you use this word not that you are about to get married .... ) to hear some thoughts or ideas from other pilgrims as to what has worked for them. My (.... Our .... ) current pack weight is ( .... are .... ) approximately 11 pounds (4.9 kilos) including 1 full liter of water ...... A 3.9KG packpack sounds a tad on the heavy side!!!

Packing List – .... If your wedding is as well planned as this list then your wedding should go off without a hitch …
1x Golite Dawn pack - 2,200 cubic inches (41 liters) – ...... Just one backpack between two, a tad on the light side ….. consider bringing a second backpack just in case you cannot carry everything. I know as a man you are expected to carry things but carry all her gear for 800KMS is a bit extreme ....?

1x 36 inch cut down ridge rest sleeping pad (folded works as internal frame for pack, plus sitting or sleeping pad) ..... sounds like it fits just one person?
1x Garbage bag (used to line main pack compartment will also bring one extra as an emergency pack cover) – ....... Can I suggest that you discuss your issues and avoid dumping in the garbage bag as it is a "crap" way to manage a relationship and likely to lead to a "rubbish" Camino.
1x silk liner for sleeping ...... very sxxy
3x extra ziplock bags ...... sounds scarry
2x light weight Wright socks - ........ remember that you are always "Wrong" and she is always "Wright"
1x Patagonia capilene (#2) thermal shirt – ...... long sleeve ?
1x Eddie Bauer Travex short sleeve button down shirt (Quick drying for wear to church or dinner/after hiking) ...... What is your wife going to wear? Walk in the buff?
1x mesh toiletries bag
1x toilet paper – ....... Can I suggest that you consider bringing a roll or at least a ½ roll as women like their loo roll even if you do not need it.
1x quick drying towel
1x compact soap sheets
2x earplugs – ........ Does not sound good if you feel the need to bring ear plugs … it is good to talk but even more important to listen.
1x dental floss – ........ Possibly not ideal underwear especially for a man
1x tooth brush – ...... Sweet to see that you are prepared to share your tooth brush and in the process save some weight …
1x tooth paste (small)
small sewing kit – ..... Metro sexual ......... modern man …. well impressinve ….
1x Golite Whisper - primaloft sweater (Good for cold nights and can be a great pillow) ... obviously do not plan to cuddle up together .....
1x spoon
1x clip on red led light –
pen
small sun block
CARRIED

Eastern Mountain Sports zip off pants - ........ planning on doing the "full monty" .....no stripping please ..... we are pilgrms!!!!
ExOfficio Give and Go boxers – Good to see that you are prepared to “Give and Go” v “Give and Take”
Ball cap – ..... You make no reference to bringing a ball so why the ball cap?
watch
sunglasses
harmonica

• Walking Gloves
  • Two way radios in case you decide to walk separately from each other but want to stay connected.
  • Spend time planning on how you will walk together and how you might resolve different conflict scenarios eg one partner decides they have had enough and want to go to Madrid ....
  • Sleeping bag
  • Gloves
  • Passport / ID Card - you will not be able to leave your country much less get into Spain

I think that you seem to have a pretty descent pack and gear. To tweo ..... walk the Camino on your Honeymoon should be a truly amazing experience but not without risks. Become aware of the risks and your will be able to deal with them. The unusual environment, weather etc is likely to give rise to issues. Spend time before going discussing what you want from the Camino as individuals and as a couple making sure that you walk on the same hymn sheet and have strategies for when you are not .....

C

Hello CISSA69,

Thank you for the gear advice and for our very first round of marriage counseling!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Anniesantiago,

My experience with Frogg Toggs has been positive. I used them on the Appalachian Train in 2000 and for various other adventures since then. My current rain suit is a few years old and still works very well, however I am not sure if in that time they have made any updates that could affect the quality.
s
thanks! :)

• Walking Gloves
  • Sleeping bag
  • Gloves

C

Hello CISSA69,

Thank you for the gear advice and for our very first round of marriage counseling!

Call it Irish marriage guidance ......... scarcastic ....... On a serious note I think that your choice of honeymoon is the second best decision of your life, the first one being to ask your "better half" to marry you ........

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We met a couple having their honeymoon on the Camino and they were having a great time. You could just tell they will go on to have adventures together.
I wish you all the best.

PS My bit of advice would be that unless it is really really really really cold, you don't want to wear rain pants as PJs;-)

Congratulations to you and your wife on such a splendid idea for a honeymoon!

Like posters above, I am impressed with your organization and the tight, light packing list you have developed.

My one concern is that "mylar blanket". I am presuming these are also known as "space blankets". While you note that it is for emergencies, I hope that means "survival situations" outdoors!

In Fall 2012 a couple of young ladies broke out mylar blankets at Mansilla. This was despite the albergue being well equipped with blankets as well as decently warm. Those things made quite the racket with their every move. Plastic bag rustling at 4:30 am is bad enough but the "Night of the Space Blankets" made many peregrinos darn near homicidal. The next day's walk into Leon was a bit cranky despite it being clear and bright after a long run of rainy days.

Just so you know...

B

BTW, you might check out the threads on the forum related to walking with companions. It will give you some good ideas for strategies when, for one reason or another, walking together appears to have been a daft idea. (Not certain to happen but it is a good bet..;)) Admittedly, I am no expert - - the wife and I have only been together for 40 years. We still find new ways to irritate each other at least twice a month.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only twice a month? Lucky you. Although I am walking the same Camino at roughly the same time as my lady, we are not walking together. Definitely not! She is a sometimes temperamental Spanish lady and it would be simply too dangerous for us. Still, it does give us a post Camino reunion to look forward to.

Wait till you walk with an 8 and 10 year old. That's a definite test of communication and kindness lol Just joking :) They talk all day, enough for all of us and even those that pass.

For some reason my husband likes to walk 20 feet in front of me. He thinks he's helping me keep "pace" throughout the day. He wants me to chase him even after 17 years lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We met a couple having their honeymoon on the Camino and they were having a great time. You could just tell they will go on to have adventures together.
I wish you all the best.

PS My bit of advice would be that unless it is really really really really cold, you don't want to wear rain pants as PJs;-)
Thank you! And I agree about the PJs :)

Congratulations to you and your wife on such a splendid idea for a honeymoon!

Like posters above, I am impressed with your organization and the tight, light packing list you have developed.

My one concern is that "mylar blanket". I am presuming these are also known as "space blankets". While you note that it is for emergencies, I hope that means "survival situations" outdoors!

In Fall 2012 a couple of young ladies broke out mylar blankets at Mansilla. This was despite the albergue being well equipped with blankets as well as decently warm. Those things made quite the racket with their every move. Plastic bag rustling at 4:30 am is bad enough but the "Night of the Space Blankets" made many peregrinos darn near homicidal. The next day's walk into Leon was a bit cranky despite it being clear and bright after a long run of rainy days.

Just so you know...

B

BTW, you might check out the threads on the forum related to walking with companions. It will give you some good ideas for strategies when, for one reason or another, walking together appears to have been a daft idea. (Not certain to happen but it is a good bet..;)) Admittedly, I am no expert - - the wife and I have only been together for 40 years. We still find new ways to irritate each other at least twice a month.

Thanks for the advice. The mylar/space blanket is only for use in an outdoor emergency.

Wait till you walk with an 8 and 10 year old. That's a definite test of communication and kindness lol Just joking :) They talk all day, enough for all of us and even those that pass.

I discovered a little trick to help with this. I cannot claim it as my own - simply noticed my child doing it: counting steps in his head. You might like to suggest it;-)

I use that trick when I am walking and change the counted foot so that I trick my body into thinking one foot is doing the work - it actually can work so that you relax a tired leg by counting and concentrating on the other leg - problem is you lose count when people talk to you - but then you can just start again - I count to 100 on one side and then switch and only count one step not both steps

I have the same problem which is why I wear big boots for toe wriggle space to help my counting - count gets out off when I kick a rock though

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe I should bring Greek worry beads or a knotted string - if I laid out a long knotted string I could check the distance like the Romans did :)

Hello Everyone,

Listed below is a packing list I put together. I am confident in the gear listed as I have used most of it on various long distance backpacking trips in the States; however, I realize the Camino is a different trek and I would love to hear some thoughts or ideas from other pilgrims as to what has worked for them. My current pack weight is approximately 11 pounds (4.9 kilos) including 1 full liter of water.

Packing List

1x Golite Dawn pack - 2,200 cubic inches (41 liters)

1x 36 inch cut down ridge rest sleeping pad (folded works as internal frame for pack, plus sitting or sleeping pad)
1x Garbage bag (used to line main pack compartment will also bring one extra as an emergency pack cover)
1x silk liner for sleeping
3x extra ziplock bags
2x light weight Wright socks
1x Patagonia capilene (#2) thermal shirt
1x Eddie Bauer Travex short sleeve button down shirt (Quick drying for wear to church or dinner/after hiking)

1x mesh toiletries bag
1x toilet paper
1x quick drying towel
1x compact soap sheets
2x earplugs
1x dental floss
1x tooth brush
1x tooth paste (small)
small sewing kit

1x Golite Whisper - primaloft sweater (Good for cold nights and can be a great pillow)

1x spoon
1x clip on red led light
pen
small sun block

CARRIED

Eastern Mountain Sports zip off pants
ExOfficio Give and Go boxers
Ball cap
watch
sunglasses
harmonica

Thanks for posting such a great list - I start walking on May 3 so it was very helpful! I am particularly happy you are bringing the harmonica - everyone needs music in their lives! Unfortunately my uke didn't make the weight cut.... :)

Musical instruments are excluded from the weight equation, especially if you are any good at playing one ... and if playing music is important to you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Musical instruments are excluded from the weight equation, especially if you are any good at playing one ... and if playing music is important to you.

Ditto sketch pad and pencils if you are an artist.

It's a strong list, no doubt honed over time given that you and your fiance are experienced backpackers. I'm loathe to mess with a working system, but would offer a few thoughts.

I would suggest your second trash bag be black (doubles as a great oven in the sun on the off chance that you need to treat your gear for bedbugs). Your shoes should be fine; if they worked on the Appalachian or similar, they'll work on the Camino Frances. I would add a few more earplugs (I lost several along the way).

I would suggest a lightweight wind shirt (my personal favorite is my 4oz Houdini) with durable water repellency. For nominal weight, I think you get a much wider range of comfort. There will be a lot of times where you don't need full rain protection or extra insulation, but do need to cut the wind. In late May and early June, 2013, I walked in about 10 days of rain and cold temps (<40F), with just a merino/poly tee, a Columbia hiking shirt, and the Houdini. (I also used the GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella, and so didn't bring proper rain gear at all.) Later on the Camino, when dealing with regular wind and slightly warmer temps, the wind short was invaluable for protecting against flash cooling, but with something like the Frogg Toggs, I'd have been too hot and heavily sweating.

One piece of marital advice from firsthand experience. My wife and I took three weeks in the pacific northwest for our honeymoon. I scrimped and saved along the way (OK, I was downright cheap). But, in Napa, I shipped home several cases of wine. Monica came out of the winery restroom just as I was completing the purchase. It was our first marital fight, and it was a doozey. That night, we stayed in a very nice hotel and ate at a very nice restaurant, and I didn't say a word.

My advice, therefore, is as follows --- treat your wife to a night in a Parador before shipping home several cases of Rioja's finest. Just saying.

One piece of marital advice from firsthand experience. My wife and I took three weeks in the pacific northwest for our honeymoon. I scrimped and saved along the way (OK, I was downright cheap). But, in Napa, I shipped home several cases of wine. Monica came out of the winery restroom just as I was completing the purchase. It was our first marital fight, and it was a doozey. That night, we stayed in a very nice hotel and ate at a very nice restaurant, and I didn't say a word.

My advice, therefore, is as follows --- treat your wife to a night in a Parador before shipping home several cases of Rioja's finest. Just saying.

Now that's good advice! I also really appreciate the gear advice, I'll check out the Houdini wind shirt I like the sound of that.

I'll check out the Houdini wind shirt I like the sound of that.
Houdini just happens to be my favorite; there are lots of them out there, depending on fit and features. My gripe is that the Houdini doesn't have good pockets, but that's a price for lightness.

You can also look at cycling jackets without insulation, as these have similar weight, windproofness, and water repellency. Some folks like the longer back panels of cycling jacket, others don't.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.