• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List : Food - What food/nutritional items are in your bag, when you leave home ?

Salty

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning : Camino Frances - Oct 2022
I am worried about food. I will be on the Frances starting in SJPDP, and flying from Canada into Paris. Will be on a very small budget and trying not to buy food at the airport or in Paris. I keep thinking what should I bring to last me to, at least to Roncesvalles and maybe beyond a little. I know it sounds strange, its a real worry I have. I am thinking to bring dried fruit, dates and nuts and declare it on arrival into Paris. They ussually let me through with it. Then bringing crackers and cheese to consume on the plane. No meals provided, I think. Will need food options for when I arrive in Paris and many hours in transit to get to SJPDP. Then things to consume on my way over the Perenees. How expensive is food in SJPDP ? I was hoping to pick up 2 baquettes cheese and a few other things for my walk over the Pyrenees. I have read the " Coffee Van " at the summit, is kinda expensive and having Orrisson make you a sandwitch, is pricey too. I was even thinking to leave home with Liver pate and jambon in very small tins with a lift top and to bring crackers.. Those caught my eye in the dollarstore and I thought that might be perfect for my trip. I plan on bringing instant coffee sachets for the 1st few mornings and hydralyte electrolites to mix in with water for during the day. I heard the ones in Spain is not so tasty and to bring from here. I know I will have lots of room in my bag, when I leave home, to carry all kinds of food, to get me through the 1st few days. Those who have been in a similiar state of mind, and low on funds, what did you do to make it work? Please share.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
DIY catering on a tight budget is possible, many do it.

Depending what time you get to St Jean, there is a large Super Market on the rail station side of the town.
Given that St Jean is a bit of a tourist town, this will be more cost effective than small shops in the town itself.

I don't recall seeing anywhere to buy food in Roncesvalles other than cafes, but most small villages after that should have a small store. Just be aware they may close during Siesta in the afternoon.

For snacks I always carried some bread, and some kind of filling.....and it was my backup dinner in case I didn't find anywhere to eat.

Food stores in Spain are not expensive by World standards. Depends where you live of course......

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Peanuts, Babybell cheese, granola bars. Tuna with pop tops. There is a grocery store in SJPDP. Buy or check a pocketknife so you can make baguette and cheese sandwiches, etc. Well worth the cost when you arrive.

One caveat, my husband recently applied for the CLEAR program for expedited re-entry to the US and was told the most common thing to get your status revoked was to not declare foods.

Also from Canada. I believe on a flight of that length they’ll still be serving a meal? Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. All I pack is a few granola bars to get me to the start line after arriving. Any other food—buy it there. Food is much cheaper in Spain than in Canada!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also from Canada. I believe on a flight of that length they’ll still be serving a meal? Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. All I pack is a few granola bars to get me to the start line after arriving. Any other food—buy it there. Food is much cheaper in Spain than in Canada!
The cut rate flights like Iceland Air require you to order ahead if you plan to eat so not all flights do feed you.

I am worried about food. I will be on the Frances starting in SJPDP, and flying from Canada into Paris. Will be on a very small budget and trying not to buy food at the airport or in Paris. I keep thinking what should I bring to last me to, at least to Roncesvalles and maybe beyond a little. I know it sounds strange, its a real worry I have. I am thinking to bring dried fruit, dates and nuts and declare it on arrival into Paris. They ussually let me through with it. Then bringing crackers and cheese to consume on the plane. No meals provided, I think. Will need food options for when I arrive in Paris and many hours in transit to get to SJPDP. Then things to consume on my way over the Perenees. How expensive is food in SJPDP ? I was hoping to pick up 2 baquettes cheese and a few other things for my walk over the Pyrenees. I have read the " Coffee Van " at the summit, is kinda expensive and having Orrisson make you a sandwitch, is pricey too. I was even thinking to leave home with Liver pate and jambon in very small tins with a lift top and to bring crackers.. Those caught my eye in the dollarstore and I thought that might be perfect for my trip. I plan on bringing instant coffee sachets for the 1st few mornings and hydralyte electrolites to mix in with water for during the day. I heard the ones in Spain is not so tasty and to bring from here. I know I will have lots of room in my bag, when I leave home, to carry all kinds of food, to get me through the 1st few days. Those who have been in a similiar state of mind, and low on funds, what did you do to make it work? Please share.
I brought protein bars and little packets of peanut butter from home. Often would have a protein bar and a tasty orange or banana with my coffee at my first test stop of the day. I also purchased wonderful baguettes along the way. I would have either local cheese or my peanut butter or both with the bread for lunch.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am sorry but the short answer to this is none. The food costs in Spain are so low that anything other than buying what you want/need here is laughable. The coffee is amazing and cheap. The other point is that to restrict yourself to eating your own pre-bought food is separating yourself from the community of peregrinos, which is never good. Every stage town has a bar where there will be a Menu Peregrino, which will have huge portions at a price of around 9 or 10 Euros (including at least one drink, usually a bottle of wine). Seriously if you cannot afford that then it is impossible to expect to walk the whole Camino.

I am flying from Canada through Paris next week. There is a meal and snack included. Other then that I will be packing a few energy bars

I like hassle free airline traveling so I bring nothing with me that might be questionable to authorities and airline regulations. I personally feel it's just not worth jeopardizing my trip and personally wouldn't travel to the Camino looking like I'm on my way to a picnic . There are a lot of food items that can fall into the questionable category. The only thing I have ever brought with me is a few protein/energy type bars for the trip over. Sometimes I have long layovers and have no interest in airport food if possible. The protein bar ties me over and isn't questionable for travel. I have also brought tea bags and instant coffee single serve packs, also allowed.
I'm going to recommend minimizing what foodstuffs you bring with you and be prepared for it to be inspected or perhaps thrown out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most overseas flights provide meal as minimum as they are. We have flown out of Canada and the U S and this has been the case. We do take a few travel snacks but usually do not consume them during the flight.

We usually carry a small jar of peanut butter (you can get small jars at the dollar store), then buy or carry bread or crackers to put it on. Worked well for us.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Food is much cheaper in Spain than in Canada!
My first thought as I read the OP.

@Salty there are are many ways to eat economically along the camino - it's really not necessary to bring food. I'm not minimizing your budget concerns at all but it does make me sad to think of you bringing dollar store tinned meat and crackers from home to a country with similar, more delicious and probably cheaper options! With planning, shopping in panaderias, grocery stores and small village shops, sharing food costs and cooking with fellow pilgrims in the albergues - there are ways to keep costs down and enjoy good food and camaraderie. I do bring some bags of my favourite tea from home and an electric coil - a good way to ensure starting the day with a cup of tea if there isn't an open bar at the start of the day's walk. I also always have some fruit, bread and cheese for a trail lunch along the way.

Some info here that might be helpful:

Last edited:
I'll be flying from Edmonton, Canada to SJPD in a week or so (still firming up dates). I was wondering if nuts can cross borders, (as in legumes not people). I'm just planning to bring a few protein bars just in case of an emergency and now, maybe a few packets of instant coffee (I like that idea as I wake up very slowly).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I avoid carrying food across borders, as I'm never sure what is/isn't allowed. The rule is that any foods must be declared and then the officials will tell you if they are OK. I think that commercially packaged nuts are probably fine.

Shopping in a grocery store in another country is part of the adventure for me.

However, the OP also asked about finding inexpensive food during the 2 or 3 days of travel and time in Paris and SJPP. I think this is a valid concern, as you could spend a lot of money during that short period. I would suggest taking food for the airplane. (Check with your airline to confirm if meals are provided on your flight, as many international flights do include meals.) Then keep an eye out for an opportunity to buy nuts, bread, cheese, fruit in Paris, as you will need to eat something for the rest of your journey. In SJPP, go to the grocery store as suggested above, to prepare food for the next day and stock up on a few high calorie but nutritious snacks. But don't carry a lot - they might be less expensive in Spain (starting in Pamplona) than in SJPP.

Also, it is important to note that the pilgrim meals can provide good value. Perhaps the dinners in Orisson and Roncesvalles will be good investments in terms of food value and more importantly, getting to know other pilgrims, which is priceless. In the morning leaving Roncesvalles, you can skip breakfast and wait until the next village. Once you have gotten into the pilgrim rhythm, you will be able to do your penny-pinching more effectively. Let the first few days be a time for adjustment, and don't be too alarmed that they are more expensive.

The only thing that I brought with me that I couldn't find and wish I had brought more of were water multiplier packets, called Liquid IV here in the States. Even though most of the towns have a public water fountain (fuente), not all of them did and I was drinking water like a horse. Those things really helped me stay hydrated, which in turn helped my aching joints, sleep, etc...

Reminder, TSA will not allow any water bottles through Security, not even bottled water with the cap intact. I had one in my bag when I went thru last time and was instructed to toss it in the trash. I opened it right there and chugged it down. That bottle cost $3 in Toronto Airport. I am not one to toss $3 in the garbage.

Reminder, TSA will not allow any water bottles through Security, not even bottled water with the cap intact. I had one in my bag when I went thru last time and was instructed to toss it in the trash. I opened it right there and chugged it down. That bottle cost $3 in Toronto Airport. I am not one to toss $3 in the garbage.
I take an empty bottle through and fill it after security.

I brought a small bag of dried blueberries, some nuts and a pack of protein bars to get me through the first couple of days.
Be sure to sample any new products before flying out. The protein bars I brought had Xylitol in them and I hadn't read the ingredients. Xylitol makes me dizzy and weak. Luckily I figured that out after a particularly rough day when 2 bites of the bar flattened me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a friend who loves her cold water, so she freezes her water bottle (yes, open it prior and drink some off) and presents this bottle through screening. Careful, though, if there's any melted water, it will be judged by the 3 oz rule. So just drink that melted water and screw the cap back on.

I am worried about food. I will be on the Frances starting in SJPDP, and flying from Canada into Paris. Will be on a very small budget and trying not to buy food at the airport or in Paris. I keep thinking what should I bring to last me to, at least to Roncesvalles and maybe beyond a little. I know it sounds strange, its a real worry I have. I am thinking to bring dried fruit, dates and nuts and declare it on arrival into Paris. They ussually let me through with it. Then bringing crackers and cheese to consume on the plane. No meals provided, I think. Will need food options for when I arrive in Paris and many hours in transit to get to SJPDP. Then things to consume on my way over the Perenees. How expensive is food in SJPDP ? I was hoping to pick up 2 baquettes cheese and a few other things for my walk over the Pyrenees. I have read the " Coffee Van " at the summit, is kinda expensive and having Orrisson make you a sandwitch, is pricey too. I was even thinking to leave home with Liver pate and jambon in very small tins with a lift top and to bring crackers.. Those caught my eye in the dollarstore and I thought that might be perfect for my trip. I plan on bringing instant coffee sachets for the 1st few mornings and hydralyte electrolites to mix in with water for during the day. I heard the ones in Spain is not so tasty and to bring from here. I know I will have lots of room in my bag, when I leave home, to carry all kinds of food, to get me through the 1st few days. Those who have been in a similiar state of mind, and low on funds, what did you do to make it work? Please share
I don't think it is wise to try and bring food from Canada to France or any other country, you're likely to be flagged at customs and it may be fine but it is not worth the hassle. Buy from local markets once there, it's easy even if you don't speak the language, you'll get by just fine, I know, I've done it three times.

Good luck and have fun!

Me three!

In many airports in the UK the water, once one is inside security, is labelled ‘not safe to drink’ and, for one’s convenience, bottled water is sold everywhere.

Well ..

Those signs didn’t exist before the ‘liquids ban’ and I’m certain that the airport’s plumbing hasn’t been renewed and a new source of non-potable water found.

Yes; just take an empty bottle through security.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a friend who loves her cold water, so she freezes her water bottle (yes, open it prior and drink some off) and presents this bottle through screening. Careful, though, if there's any melted water, it will be judged by the 3 oz rule. So just drink that melted water and screw the cap back on.
Fascinating. Technically unarguable and totally in line with the rules IMHO.

Next time I’ve got a flight I’m prepared to miss out of the UK, I’ll give it a go.

Yeah, while I do love my cold water I love hassle free airline traveling more so I can only think one thing when I read that....why?

There is a Lidl (large discount supermarket) in SJPDP just outside the center of the village. Maybe a 5min walk. You can easily stock up there, but then, everything you buy you need to carry over the mountains.
The next supermarket is in Burguete, just after Roncesvalles, but more expensive since most of the customers are pilgrims. Markets catering to locals are usually quite cheap, likely more so than what you have in Canada. Usually you'll find them in the larger villages/towns, and usually not in the center.
But as many others have stated, chances are that having a cheap meal at a bar won't break the bank either.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been watching with interest, and was about to state a position about not taking anything when I realised that this wasn't really true. When I have used a low cost carrier that charges for food on board, I try and get something for the flight before boarding. Otherwise, I do bring water, but not food.

And I have always brought a tube or other small container of that essential elixir, Vegemite, in my checked bags.

Otherwise, I try to shop at larger supermarkets that are on or close to the path. But if a small corner store is the only option, that might be a bit more expensive, but I would rather do that than try and stock up for more than a day or so on heavier items at a supermarket.

I had taken an international overseas flight a couple of years ago that was very inexpensive and my first experience where meals were not included. I decided not to spend the extra $40 for the dinner offered as I don't normally enjoy them, so instead I brought a couple of Clif protein bars. They are very dense and I find them to be extremely filling for their size and they "stick to your ribs" for quite a long time.
Screenshot_20220826-195247~2.png

None since part of travel is experiencing new food. the closest would be Pocari Powder Sachet for my electrolytes. Which service me well during hot treks and if ever bout with diarrhea .

I am sorry but the short answer to this is none. The food costs in Spain are so low that anything other than buying what you want/need here is laughable. The coffee is amazing and cheap. The other point is that to restrict yourself to eating your own pre-bought food is separating yourself from the community of peregrinos, which is never good. Every stage town has a bar where there will be a Menu Peregrino, which will have huge portions at a price of around 9 or 10 Euros (including at least one drink, usually a bottle of wine). Seriously if you cannot afford that then it is impossible to expect to walk the whole Camino.

Even on a very low budget, I'd suggest eating the Pilgrim's menu each day.
It's a lot of food, and very good value. Almost enough calories for the day!

You could make do with small snacks during the day, fruit, bread, cheese, tortilla that you can buy along the way.

Having flown with Iceland Air numerous times, which does not serve free meals, I take a bag of 3-4 sandwiches with me. They can be PBJ or just plain cheese sandwiches and maybe a small container of peeled mandarins or blueberries to eat. Make sure the fruit is all eaten before you land. The container may come in handy for you during your Camino.
Once in Spain, the regular grocery stores will provide all the ingredients you need to make your own meals, though I do think having a communal meal with the other pilgrims in your albergue is worth the money. There are lots of albergues doing this, so ask around or look at their websites. I had wonderful meals on my Camino this past spring by doing this. It is always well worth the 10-11€ for the meal.
Coffee con leche is cheap and delicious. I would not take powdered coffee with me. Look for the bars that open at 06:00.

I drink a lot of water. When traveling by air I bring an empty Life Water bottle into the check through TSA. And then refill it before I board the plane. Then I carry it on my Camino. If it gets unusable I replace it in a grocery store. The bottle safe on weight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am worried about food..... Will be on a very small budget and trying not to buy food at the airport or in Paris.
I met a young Irish guy on the CF in 2016 who had a budget of 4 euro per day, he spent nothing on accommodation (wild camping in a hammock or slept on church porch) so that must have been his food budget, he said he shopped in the local supermarkets and bought cheap items.
Met him nursing a coffee in a cafe while he used their wifi and powered his device, he was happy for our company and we ordered lunch/beer/fruit smoothie so that made the cafe owner happy too.
I suspect he had a reduced contact with other peregrines due to his choices but there was still interaction and he was an interesting guy with an interesting story. Some may criticise his lack of contribution to the cafe but we stayed longer and bought more due to chatting with him.

I would try and avoid carrying too much food into France except for things like protein bars, sealed nuts/dried fruit etc, (But take plenty for plane of whatever you like)

As to food in Paris, if you are taking train from CDG Airport station directly then finding cheap food is trickier. But if its from one of the stations in Paris itself, head out of the station building and within 2-3 minutes you'll find a small supermarket or bakery with more normal prices in the locale.

It's often very social to cook meals in albergues that actually have kitchens - and finding others on a budget to cook together with too. I tend to carry tiny little plastic bags with dried herbs and spices that can enliven a tin of tomatoes into something tasty. I often carry a small container for leftovers/picnic supplies. Maybe a few tiny plastic bags might be a better investment in dollar store than tin of pate.

Just curious, how are you planning to get from Paris to SJPD? I'm thinking of flying there as well and just hopping on a train.

I was waiting for Robo to post one of his comments about "overthinking it" but instead he posted some very logical advice. This entire thread is trying to "overthink it." Walking the Camino is not meant to be a cheap vacation although some do travel it on a tight budget. More power to them!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Throwing my two cents (Euros? Pounds? Pesetas?) in… I have never been to Spain (yet!) but have traveled all over South America. My go-to airline carryon food includes tortillas (the Mexican kind, flat bread—can’t be smashed), a small can of deviled ham, and Laughing Cow cheese. Also a plastic spoon for spreading these on the tortillas. Even when I stay in fancy hotels I have little packets of instant coffee, sugar, salt and pepper; instant soup or noodles; dried fruit; instant mashed potatoes, instant oatmeal; and peanut butter. On more than one occasion I have prepared a full meal for my family in the middle of nowhere using just a few essentials hidden in my bag of tricks! Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout! 🤣

Yes you are correct, I just checked Westjet Airlines website and meals are served on my route. Great news ! Thank you for the heads up that food is so much cheaper in Spain. I find that our local outdoor stores are somewhat pricey to get outfitted for my 1st Camino, it adds up very quickly. I appreciate the info.

I like hassle free airline traveling so I bring nothing with me that might be questionable to authorities and airline regulations. I personally feel it's just not worth jeopardizing my trip and personally wouldn't travel to the Camino looking like I'm on my way to a picnic . There are a lot of food items that can fall into the questionable category. The only thing I have ever brought with me is a few protein/energy type bars for the trip over. Sometimes I have long layovers and have no interest in airport food if possible. The protein bar ties me over and isn't questionable for travel. I have also brought tea bags and instant coffee single serve packs, also allowed.
I'm going to recommend minimizing what foodstuffs you bring with you and be prepared for it to be inspected or perhaps thrown out.
I made this post as I will be arriving into Paris, and then quickly on the train, and then transfer to the fast train to Bayonne and then the local train/bus /taxi to SJPP. I dont know if there will be time to stand in line and buy food, while I am in transit.
I am very well travelled ( been to 31 countries ) and always bring food with me, when leaving home. Maybe I have a form of food insecurity, I cannot leave home without food and water. I will feel the same when leaving an albegue in the morning, must have something on me, to eat. Carrying my fears forsure. I need peace of mind and carrying a bit of food, makes me happy LOL.

You never know when a flight is severely delayed or mid flight there is a flight diversion and an unexpected landing in a different city, is happening.

Bringing food with me, is very easy. I always declare ( on the declaration form) that I have food with me, then you are super safe. I put it in seperate plastic see through zip lock baggies, and have it on top of my bag, for easy take out, once I am near the inspection officer. I take it out for the officer to see and I tell him what is inside, for easy, quick inspection. Open, clear communication is the way to go when dealing with customs at your port of entry,

I have found that dried fruit, dates, pumpkin seeds and a variety of nuts are easy to get into all countries I have been to. Also super nutricious when you are sitting for many hours and are not as active. Easy on the digestive system too, while flying in cramped spaces. I like to bring also crackers and a seperate baggie of small cubed pieces of cheese. A sturdy piece of bread ( no crumbs) eg a bagel, travels also well, if you want to make a sandwitch. I portion it in several small baggies. When I feel a bit hungry, I take out one of my small baggies and eat it. I also put in there ( in a seperate small zip log baggie) a small paper towel /serviette and a small wet wipe - the indivually wrapped types to clean my hands before eating. My left over cheese has been confiscated on a trip. I now know when I bring cheese, to only bring enough to last me, till just before I clear customs on arrival say in eg Paris.
This method has saved me $$$"s over the years and with the savings, I am able to plan and afford my next trip without going into debt.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
" carry a small jar of peanut butter (you can get small jars at the dollar store), "

Peanut butter while on the Camino, is an excellent idea. I am going to try and get a small light weight jar in a local store over there. However I think at airport security, in your carry on, they will take away a jar of peanut butter, it might be considered a liquid. Best to bring a few of the little packets of peanut butter in carry on.

I am very well travelled ( been to 31 countries ) and always bring food with me, when leaving home. Maybe I have a form of food insecurity, I cannot leave home without food and water. I will feel the same when leaving an albegue on the morning, must have something on me, to eat. Carrying my fears forsure. I need peace of mind and carrying a bit of food, makes me happy LOL.

You never know when a flight is severely delayed or mid flight there is a flight diversion and an unexpected landing in a different city, is happening.

Bringing food with me, is very easy. I always declare ( on the declaration form) that I have food with me, then you are super safe. I put it in seperate plastic see through zip lock baggies, and have it on top of my bag, for easy take out, once I am near the inspection officer. I take it out for the officer to see and I tell him what is inside, for easy, quick inspection. Open, clear communication is the way to go when dealing with customs at your port of entry,

I have found that dried fruit, dates, pumpkin seeds and a variety of nuts are easy to get into all countries I have been to. Also super nutricious when you are sitting for many hours and are not as active. Easy on the digestive system too, while flying in cramped spaces. I like to bring also crackers and a seperate baggie of small cubed pieces of cheese. A sturdy piece of bread ( no crumbs) eg a bagel, travels also well, if you want to make a sandwitch. I portion it in several small baggies. When I feel a bit hungry, I take out one of my small baggies and eat it. I also put in there ( in a seperate small zip log baggie) a small paper towel /serviette and a small wet wipe - the indivually wrapped types to clean my hands before eating. My left over cheese has been confiscated on a trip. I now know when I bring cheese, to only bring enough to last me, till just before I clear customs on arrival say in eg Paris.
This method has saved me $$$"s over the years and with the savings, I am able to plan and afford my next trip without going into debt.
Salty, I'm wondering why you asked your question. Seems to me you have a process and system that suits your needs and sufficient experience to deal with border customs and animal/plant health controls.

I don't buy food from airport outlets either. I value my digestive health even more than my casual wealth. But Paris? You want to avoid eating in Paris because its too expensive? What do you think most Parisians live on? They don't bring their own nuts ;)

The only thing that I brought with me that I couldn't find and wish I had brought more of were water multiplier packets, called Liquid IV here in the States. Even though most of the towns have a public water fountain (fuente), not all of them did and I was drinking water like a horse. Those things really helped me stay hydrated, which in turn helped my aching joints, sleep, etc...
Very good point ! I have heard that adding something to your water on every 2nd bottle of water, during the day, while walking, helps a LOT to keep your energy and your general mood, up.

I will look into possibly making my own DIY Electrolytes to add to my water. I have seen many cheap easy DIY recipes for it online. I have heard that " Hydralytes" is really tasty and very good. Available here in Canada at Shoppers Drug Mart . I will bring a few of those with me, at least for the 1st few days perhaps. Pamplona is where I will shop for more goodies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Salty, I'm wondering why you asked your question. Seems to me you have a process and system that suits your needs and sufficient experience to deal with border customs and animal/plant health controls.

I don't buy food from airport outlets either. I value my digestive health even more than my casual wealth. But Paris? You want to avoid eating in Paris because its too expensive? What do you think most Parisians live on? They don't bring their own nuts ;)
My issue is I will not have much time in Paris to shop for food and I have a long ways to go to get, in one day, ( same day) to SJJP. I apologise if I was not clear in my 1st post.

" carry a small jar of peanut butter (you can get small jars at the dollar store), "

Peanut butter while on the Camino, is an excellent idea. I am going to try and get a small light weight jar in a local store over there. However I think at airport security, in your carry on, they will take away a jar of peanut butter, it might be considered a liquid. Best to bring a few of the little packets of peanut butter in carry on.
I don't think that you will find peanut butter widely available in small stores in Spain. The larger supermarkets will have it, but probably not in small jars.

I don't think that you will find peanut butter widely available in small stores in Spain. The larger supermarkets will have it, but probably not in small jars.
Good point. Thank you for sharing your insight. Peanut butter is very nutricious and jummy on bread. I can possibly buy the bigger jar and divide it into several zip lock baggies for the next few days for my own use. And share it with other pilgrims also and leave half a jar in the albergue for others to use, who is arrriving later that same day. Is that something that other pilgrims, will easily use or will be it frown on and thrown away ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a proportion of the cost of a trans-atlantic airfare, simple good food in Spain (less so France); based around a menú del día and supplemented by supermarket bought food and snacks can be very inexpensive. Even in Paris a baguette-with-something-on-it will not break the bank.

If you try to replicate your home cuisine you will start to complicate things. It’s also quite easy to over-think the problem. Millions of Spaniards; also struggling on a budget, manage somehow. Don’t start buggering about with baggies of peanut butter. It’s embarrassing.

The menu del día is your friend. Introduced under Franco (if memory serves) to ensure that for the main meal of the day, typically from 1300 to 1500, the Spanish worker had access to a substantial nutritious meal at a low price. It’s currently in the €12-14 range. The menu peregrino is often inferior.

Just for the fun of it and because I have time on my hands I searched the Eroski website for some Spanish goodies.
Cheaper than all I can find here in Belgium and I guess also cheaper than most foodstuff in Canada.

Idiazabal cheese.

Olives

Sardines

Quinoa salad :

Ingredients for a very decent picknick for the same amount a mediocre pasta bolognaise would cost me in my country.

As well as bringing pre-package small packets of Kirkland trail mix to help with the initial energy lags our rhythm was to start the day with water, an orange,cheese, meat and a baguette to eat along the way, a cafe con leche along the way and end our day with a pilgrims meal, it really cut down the cost.

€149,-
Introduced under Franco (if memory serves) to ensure that for the main meal of the day, typically from 1300 to 1500, the Spanish worker had access to a substantial nutritious meal at a low price.
Franco did introduce it, but it seems that was not the initial objective. It was initially a menú turístico as part of a campaign for international tourism. Here's an El Mundo article (in Spanish) on the history.

I am worried about food. I will be on the Frances starting in SJPDP, and flying from Canada into Paris. Will be on a very small budget and trying not to buy food at the airport or in Paris. I keep thinking what should I bring to last me to, at least to Roncesvalles and maybe beyond a little. I know it sounds strange, its a real worry I have. I am thinking to bring dried fruit, dates and nuts and declare it on arrival into Paris. They ussually let me through with it. Then bringing crackers and cheese to consume on the plane. No meals provided, I think. Will need food options for when I arrive in Paris and many hours in transit to get to SJPDP. Then things to consume on my way over the Perenees. How expensive is food in SJPDP ? I was hoping to pick up 2 baquettes cheese and a few other things for my walk over the Pyrenees. I have read the " Coffee Van " at the summit, is kinda expensive and having Orrisson make you a sandwitch, is pricey too. I was even thinking to leave home with Liver pate and jambon in very small tins with a lift top and to bring crackers.. Those caught my eye in the dollarstore and I thought that might be perfect for my trip. I plan on bringing instant coffee sachets for the 1st few mornings and hydralyte electrolites to mix in with water for during the day. I heard the ones in Spain is not so tasty and to bring from here. I know I will have lots

of room in my bag, when I leave home, to carry all kinds of food, to get me through the 1st few days. Those who have been in a similiar state of mind, and low on funds, what did you do to make it work? Please share.
Just buy things when you get there, either in Bayonne or St Jean pdePort. There ARE supermarkets there, even a Lidl 🙄 Hardly the middle of the jungle 🙄

I am very well travelled ( been to 31 countries ) and always bring food with me, when leaving home. Maybe I have a form of food insecurity, I cannot leave home without food and water. I will feel the same when leaving an albegue in the morning, must have something on me, to eat. Carrying my fears forsure. I need peace of mind and carrying a bit of food, makes me happy LOL.
But it just reinforces the anxiety.
As an experiment, try going without and you'll discover you are actually just fine.
Lots of people live in Spain and France and they all have to eat. And not everyone is rich. You will find something, and way better than what you could bring from the dollar store.

€46,-
I wouldn´t worry too much about the price of food on the camino. You can get a pilgrims menu for roughly 10-12 euros that include water, wine, starter, main meal and desert. Otherwise try to find albergues with kitchens so you can prepare your own food that you buy in the grocery store. Food in Spain is cheaper than Canada.
For a few snacks to carry with you while on the road I would personally bring a protein bar and some nuts/raisins. I would also buy eggs and boil a couple to bring with me the next day on my walk.

Some recent travel discoveries I have experienced transiting in airports in a wheelchair due to my broken leg.
There is no issue with pouring the water out of your cheap plastic bottle and filling it on the other side of security, in fact it is encouraged at some airport with filling stations opposite TSA.
Containers holding greater than 3.4 oz (100 milliliters) can and will probably be confiscated by security. I learned this with a full size tube of toothpaste (5.4 oz 153g) which was half used and had to be discarded, there was no arguing about it with TSA.

Containers holding greater than 3.4 oz (100 milliliters) can and will probably be confiscated by security. I learned this with a full size tube of toothpaste (5.4 oz 153g) which was half used and had to be discarded, there was no arguing about it with TSA.
Yes, it's the size of the container, not the volume of the contents that matters.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Food for the plane - that’s all I brought. The stores bought food in Spain is quite inexpensive

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've taken cheap empty 1 liter gatorade bottles through airport security in USA and to spain on multiple occasions with no problems
Ever since the liquids ban and the opportunity to sell 5p of water for £1, the taps in UK airports after security have been marked as ‘not drinking water’ (they would have put ‘non potable’; but they know their customers ..) but; guess what; they didn’t re-pipe the airport. At least I’ve suffered no ill effects as yet..

The UK interpretation is that containers - with liquids or gels in them - can each be no more than 100ml and the total have to be in a clear plastic bag, itself of no more than 1 litre capacity.

Empty containers are permitted; for example my empty water bladder.

Experience elsewhere will undoubtedly vary c.f. poles, knives etc; possibly at the whim of the staff on duty.

Last edited:
None since part of travel is experiencing new food. the closest would be Pocari Powder Sachet for my electrolytes. Which service me well during hot treks and if ever bout with diarrhea .
Are the Pocari satchets easily available in Spain?

As a proportion of the cost of a trans-atlantic airfare, simple good food in Spain (less so France); based around a menú del día and supplemented by supermarket bought food and snacks can be very inexpensive. Even in Paris a baguette-with-something-on-it will not break the bank.

If you try to replicate your home cuisine you will start to complicate things. It’s also quite easy to over-think the problem. Millions of Spaniards; also struggling on a budget, manage somehow. Don’t start buggering about with baggies of peanut butter. It’s embarrassing.

The menu del día is your friend. Introduced under Franco (if memory serves) to ensure that for the main meal of the day, typically from 1300 to 1500, the Spanish worker had access to a substantial nutritious meal at a low price. It’s currently in the €12-14 range. The menu peregrino is often inferior.
Do you know how to order the Menu del dia - my not so-good command of Spanish might say the wrong things - are they fixed menus, or we'll need to choose?

€83,-
Do you know how to order the Menu del dia - my not so-good command of Spanish might say the wrong things - are they fixed menus, or we'll need to choose?
If it’s not advertised on a board, start with ¿Hay un menu del día?

If there is; you’ll have it recited to you; at speed; so ..

‘Otra vez, por favor - pero mas despacio!’

Probably two or three choices for first plate; second plate; pudding. Will include a glass of wine or water. May (but not often) include coffee.

Usually superior to a ‘menu peregrino’ and usually only available at Spanish lunchtime.

It sounds like fear is driving your concern about food on the Camino.

Do not be afraid. Spain is a first world country!! No pilgrim in modern history has ever starved to death on any Camino - I'm sure someone will check me if I'm wrong.

Take the same "emergency food" you would if you were a Scout on a weekend camping trip - gorp, peanuts, chocolate, hard cheese. I also carried a packet of dried soup, which I never used.

I once spent the night in an albergue in a town that did not have a grocery store. A pilgrim and I made due with what we had on hand - soup, chocolate, crackers in the pantry left by fellow pilgrims. A meager dinner the night before was quickly made up the following morning at the first cafe I ran into.

You are overthinking this. The problem may become spending on extravagant meals and eating too much!

Again, be not afraid.

It sounds like fear is driving your concern about food on the Camino.

Do not be afraid. Spain is a first world country!! No pilgrim in modern history has ever starved to death on any Camino - I'm sure someone will check me if I'm wrong.

Take the same "emergency food" you would if you were a Scout on a weekend camping trip - gorp, peanuts, chocolate, hard cheese. I also carried a packet of dried soup, which I never used.

I once spent the night in an albergue in a town that did not have a grocery store. A pilgrim and I made due with what we had on hand - soup, chocolate, crackers in the pantry left by fellow pilgrims. A meager dinner the night before was quickly made up the following morning at the first cafe I ran into.

You are overthinking this. The problem may become spending on extravagant meals and eating too much!

Again, be not afraid.
I carried a sausage I bought at a store in Spain in case I got hungry on the trail for two weeks. I realized I just wasn’t gonna use it and gave it away

If it’s not advertised on a board, start with ¿Hay un menu del día?

If there is; you’ll have it recited to you; at speed; so ..

‘Otra vez, por favor - pero mas despacio!’

Probably two or three choices for first plate; second plate; pudding. Will include a glass of wine or water. May (but not often) include coffee.

Usually superior to a ‘menu peregrino’ and usually only available at Spanish lunchtime.
If you're lucky everything is listen on a blackboard. Usually 3 or 4 choices for each of the 2 courses.

If you're unlucky the waiting staff will tell you very quickly in Spanish what they have and you just have to pick the one that you heard properly or know what it is!

There are a few supermercados that carry PB, but I also found a jar of Jif at the American Market in Lyon, just around the corner from Valor (where you can find amazing chocolate con churros!). It was something I craved, but it's also fairly heavy to carry.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your experience, not mine.
Yes you mentioned this once before above in the thread. I understand that it can depend on the airport and even the security line you end up in.

I have been on two Camino’s in the last year as well as multiple trips in the US and instead of buying the expensive airport liter water for $5 I’ve always brought a “disposable” empty Poland spring-like (but cheaper) bottle from home through security with no problem.
One can always spend @$10-$20 on a platypus flexible water bottle if they want and fill it up after security if that makes them feel better.

Also the bottled water when you get to Europe is very cheap. I paid €0.19 for a 1.5L bottle of water in a grocery store and used that on the Camino. I didn’t treat it particularly well and it didn’t break.

Dioralyte is an available brand in pharmacies. Sports shops and/or pharmacies in larger towns and some big supermarkets will have electrolytes in tablet or powder form.
Thanks for this will try it out since we don't have these in Asia where I am currently based. I will still bring my Pocari since I know the taste however I will try this out. Thanks

€83,-
Steph, you will be fine.

It is very common to be nervous before your first Camino.

You will love Spain and your Camino.

Send me a private message if you want a chat before you leave. If you click on my picture you will see that I live in Auckland. There are also other Kiwis on the forum.

Peanuts, Babybell cheese, granola bars. Tuna with pop tops. There is a grocery store in SJPDP. Buy or check a pocketknife so you can make baguette and cheese sandwiches, etc. Well worth the cost when you arrive.

One caveat, my husband recently applied for the CLEAR program for expedited re-entry to the US and was told the most common thing to get your status revoked was to not declare foods.
I recently got my Global Entry Card and was told the same thing , but one step further . DO NOT TRANSPORT FOOD. It will be confiscated if you declare and you will loose your status if you don’t declare and it’s found.I then asked about an apple. The agent said that passes. I will not be tempting the fates. Abbie Mercurio

€46,-
I then asked about an apple. The agent said that passes.
Hmmm. I know that a few years ago, some states on the west coast prohibited transport of apples across state (or maybe even regional) borders, in an effort to stop the spread of a particular plant disease. There were large signs on the highways informing people of this. So even an apple should be declared (or eaten) at the border.

Hmmm. I know that a few years ago, some states on the west coast prohibited transport of apples across state (or maybe even regional) borders, in an effort to stop the spread of a particular plant disease. There were large signs on the highways informing people of this. So even an apple should be declared (or eaten) at the border.
Going from Oregon to California we have to stop at an agriculture inspection station and declare any produce that we are carrying.

I recently got my Global Entry Card and was told the same thing , but one step further . DO NOT TRANSPORT FOOD. It will be confiscated if you declare and you will loose your status if you don’t declare and it’s found.I then asked about an apple. The agent said that passes. I will not be tempting the fates. Abbie Mercurio
Yes, he reported a granola bar and was told that was ok at that location. Report it and know that it may be removed. He always takes snacks along so reporting is the way to go for him.

Yes you mentioned this once before above in the thread. I understand that it can depend on the airport and even the security line you end up in.

I have been on two Camino’s in the last year as well as multiple trips in the US and instead of buying the expensive airport liter water for $5 I’ve always brought a “disposable” empty Poland spring-like (but cheaper) bottle from home through security with no problem.
One can always spend @$10-$20 on a platypus flexible water bottle if they want and fill it up after security if that makes them feel better.

Also the bottled water when you get to Europe is very cheap. I paid €0.19 for a 1.5L bottle of water in a grocery store and used that on the Camino. I didn’t treat it particularly well and it didn’t break.
Preach. I am a member of the Choir.

Going from Oregon to California we have to stop at an agriculture inspection station and declare any produce that we are carrying.
Many years ago I was chief spear-carrier to the European head of agriculture of a large US corporation. On a joint visit to the US he unadvisedly (but honestly) declared that he’d been on several European farms in the preceding few days. All his footware, including the shoes he was wearing, were summarily confiscated.

Many years ago I was chief spear-carrier to the European head of agriculture of a large US corporation. On a joint visit to the US he unadvisedly (but honestly) declared that he’d been on several European farms in the preceding few days. All his footware, including the shoes he was wearing, were summarily confiscated.
How dirty were they? I always declare this on my return to Australia and entry in Aotearoa/NZ. The worst that has happened is footwear that has even minute signs of dirt or plant material still left in the tread is taken away and more thoroughly cleaned. It seems to me there must have been some really significant contamination for all the gentleman's footwear to be removed. I cannot remember this being asked when I last entered the US, but I would have given a similar answer. I still have all my footwear.

I wouldn't suggest, here or elsewhere, that it would be inadvisable to answer such quarantine questions honestly. They are key elements of our respective nations quarantine protection regimes. You only have to look at the current issues surrounding lumpy skin disease in Indonesia to understand that Australia and Aotearoa/NZ would have large parts of our meat production industry destroyed if it entered either of our countries. My view is that responsible international travel includes assisting other countries protect their citizens, industry etc from diseases or other threats we might inadvertently be carrying with us on our clothing, equipment or in any food were are carrying.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How dirty were they? I always declare this on my return to Australia and entry in Aotearoa/NZ. The worst that has happened is footwear that has even minute signs of dirt or plant material still left in the tread is taken away and more thoroughly cleaned. It seems to me there must have been some really significant contamination for all the gentleman's footwear to be removed. I cannot remember this being asked when I last entered the US, but I would have given a similar answer. I still have all my footwear.

I wouldn't suggest, here or elsewhere, that it would be advisable to answer such quarantine questions honestly.
He looked like he’d just been on a farm, to be honest. But then, he usually did. I don’t think it’s on the standard list of questions.

I either fill a water bottle at the airport once through security - or buy a disposable water bottle once I pass through security - and keep that water bottle for several weeks to be refilled). If meals aren't provided as part of my ticket - I bring something to eat on the plane - but what - just depends on my mood. Usually I plan to be done with all my food by the time I get off the plane (or last plane if a connecting flight). What do I bring for IN Europe? Not much. It is super easy to stop at grocery stores, cafes, bakeries, and restaurants and buy what I need on arrival. This year - I did bring some individually packaged nuts so I had them in my pack until I eventually ate them. Then - I had downtime between my flight to Paris and my train to Bayonne - so I took the RER into Paris city center, wandered around, went to a grocery store, and picked up some already prepared foods to eat before the train and on the train (salad and a sandwich and some sort of snack). Before starting to walk the Pyrenees last year - I ate breakfast and then stopped at Orisson for lunch (and planned to spend the night there) and then had breakfast and ordered a sandwich for lunch the next day. If I were to do the Pyrenees straight to Roncesvalles - I would do the same thing. But next time I will also stop at the grocery store in SJPDP and buy a couple other snacks to keep in my bag. This year I started walking from Hendaye and did the Norte - so I did stop at a grocery store and bought a baguette, cheese, and chorizo and probably a few other snacks. Anyhow - finding food is easy. I only had issues because not everything was open last year and this year it was due to dietary restrictions - but getting inexpensive food - both at the grocery store and at local bars/restaurants is easy.

Last time we walked from SJPDP to Pamplona. We brought a few cereal bars and some nuts. Everything else we bought en route, it's very affordable in the North of Spain and part of the Camino experience is trying the local food, which is delicious btw 😋. Buen Camino!

€46,-
Just to say, if coming from a non-EU country, meat and dairy products are likely to be seized and destroyed on entry unless frozen.
everything else should be fine.

I see you are more worried about the cost of normal food.. There is enough food available everywhere you go except maybe in the mornings, easily fixed by buying something the evening before.
As for supplements, I take a lot from home.

I take 2 weeks worth of supplements. If I walk for longer, I will have them send over 2 weeks in.

Everyday:

- AG1 (multivitamin green powder with enzimes, etc etc)
- Curcumin (anti inflammatory)
- Probiotics
- Electrolites with extra magnesium
- Collagen (joint health)
- Omega 3 (anti inflammatory and joint health)
- CBD oil (for sleeping)
- Valeriana (for sleeping)

Emergency food:

- Protein powder (5 portions)
- 2 protein breakfast bars

Also carry a small bag of Herbamar salt which I love to sprinkle on my hard boiled eggs.

This is total weighs 700 grams. It is heavy but totally worth it for me. It has happened too often on the camino that I dont feel nourished by the foods available. Especially in the mornings, the usual breakfast available are white bread, pastries and coffee. Eating empty carbs make me feel terrible.

I bring a package of individually wrapped choc. croissants. These can last me the whole Camino as they are just for emergencies, as in no cafes or bars open in the morning at 6-6:30. Doesn't happen often, but I simply cannot walk without eating something.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here it is again:
Lunch on the Camino

Food is VERY cheap on the Camino if you are doing picnic. You can buy dried fruit, nuts, meats, cheeses all along the route, including at the market in SJPP before you leave. You can buy the liver pate with lift top all along the way. Don't bring a lot of crap to weight you down. You'll be fine. We picnic a lot on the Camino. Read my photo-heavy blog.

I bring a package of individually wrapped choc. croissants. These can last me the whole Camino as they are just for emergencies, as in no cafes or bars open in the morning at 6-6:30. Doesn't happen often, but I simply cannot walk without eating something.
Don't these get squished? I guess they would still taste good.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back