• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List for Mid March

Introibo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ( March 2015 )
Camino Portugues ( September 2015 )
With three weeks to go my packing and unpacking is becoming an aerobic workout ! I know it's likely to be
cold so I've concentrated on layering. I'm resigned to probably having 3 or more days back to back when I'll
be walking in rain so I've tried to think how I can avoid having to put wet gear on in the morning. I'm also
guessing that I can't guarantee to get things dried quickly at this time of year. Any thoughts on inclusions / omissions would be welcome. Gracias.

Clothes
3 x merino wool underpants 150 g
2 x merino wool long sleeved tops 500 g
4 x merino wool socks 180 g
2 x walking trousers ( wind / water resistant ) 800 g
Down jacket 365 g
Haglof synthetic jacket ( instead of fleece ) 180 g
Balaclava merino wool 40 g
Micro light top 140 g
1 x gloves 60 g
1 x mitts 50 g
Water proof jacket 350 g
Water proof over trousers 220 g
Waterproof peaked hat 65 g
Knitted bonnet 48 g
Travel shirt with collar 185 g

Sleeping Kit

Bag Liner 120 g
Sleeping Bag 250 g
Fleece long johns 250 g
Down socks 50 g

Wash and Walk

Talc 100 g
Nok Cream 40 g
Compeed Hot Spot 24 g
Moleskin 50 g
Voltarol 37 g
Microtape 20 g
Toe Clippers 41 g
Nail file ( for right big toe ) 5 g
Spare laces 10 g
Alcohol pads 14 g
Foot towel 65 g

Tooth brush 18 g
Tooth paste 37 g
Soap 47 g
Bath towel 250 g
Deodorant 42 g
Nail clippers 42 g
Vaseline 30 g
Safety pins 4 g

Kwells 20 g
Gaviscon tablets 13 g
Neurofen 5 g
Earplugs x 6 60 g

Other Stuff

Exped bags ( To keep kit dry ) 200 g
Camera 200 g
Spare battery and cards 40 g
4 in 1 USB charger 100 g
Power pack ( charge phone / Camera ) 138 g
USB leads 44 g
Brierley 300 g
Notebook 150 g
Pen 5 g
Rosary ( racing set ) 9 g

Back pac with liner 900 g
Bottle with water 853 g
Walking poles 420 g
2 x cross country shoes 1300 g
Flip flops 450 g

There's a wallet, money, phone, passport, credential in a water proof pouch to add to this.

Fairly obvious statement, but some of this list will be worn whilst walking ! Packing the remainder
and the all up weight comes to 9 Kg. Which is about 10% of my body weight ! I'd like the weight to
be lighter ( Body and pack ) but not at the expense of blisters, safety etc. Comments welcome.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Comments in italics:

Down jacket 365 g, Haglof synthetic jacket ( instead of fleece ) 180 g One or the other, but I wouldn't take both.

1 x gloves
60 g, 1 x mitts 50 g One or the other, but I wouldn't take both.
Travel shirt with collar 185 g How many shirts do you have in total? I wouldn't take more than three.

Bag Liner 120 g - Unless you need it for additional warmth, leave at home.

Spare laces 10 g - Put new laces in at home and leave the spare ones, remember - never pack your fears!

Foot towel 65 g - Leave at home, one towel to rule, eh, I mean dry, all.

Bath towel 250 g - a bit on the heavy side ...

Earplugs x 6 60 g - only if you want to give some as a gift ;-) for you alone one pair is enough, they are widely sold on the Camino in case you lose them.

Exped bags ( To keep kit dry ) 200 g - rubbish bags are cheaper and lighter

2 x cross country shoes 1300 g - I guess you mean one pair, not two, correct?

Don't for get sun cream!

Buen Camino! SY

I pretty much agree with SYates.
However, I'd also leave most of the first aid items home except perhaps the gaviscon
I never go anywhere without it and have never found it in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are bringing a charger for the camera then I would (and I am) leaving the extra battery at home. I also recommend a pocket pack of tissue to use as toilet paper if necessary.

Buen Camino!

You've packed and unpacked. the weight is looking good:
1. Consider all the above...solid advice.
2. Repack and reweigh.
3. Come on...you know one pair of nail clippers is sufficient...unless they are for your hands and another for your feet.
4. Consider making a "lifesaver". It's a plain trash bag with head and arm cutouts. It provides a vapor barrier between your wind breaker and shirt. Weighs nothing and replaces extra jacket/fleece.
5. Lastly...take that final "might need" item(s) out!

Thank you for the replies.

The weight of the towel shocked me to. Been taking it sailing for years but never weighed it before. Out came the scissors
and it's trimmed down to a smaller size..... leaving me with a scrap I can carry in the back pack hood. I want to have dry socks
the talc, foot cream etc easily to hand, so at a rest stop there's no excuse to not dry the feet, have an inspection and attend to
any problems before they develop. The second hand towel was for that but it can be left behind now.

The other shocker was the flip flops ! Used them for years and again never weighed them until yesterday. Just assumed they'd
be light.

SYates, I was going to take both sets of runners. They have no water resistance at all. My thinking was that with two
pairs I'd have something dry to walk out in in the evening. They're also slightly different so rotating them you'd not getting the
same pressure points each day. Maybe I need to take one pair and ditch the flip flops as well, replacing with some open sandals ?
( The laces in the runner are strange bits of thin nylon. The spare pack has a threader and clamp mechanism. Guess carrying
spare laces is just throwback to days out in the hills )

Shirts ? Just the one shirt. An attempt to look respectable if I'm going to evening Mass or out to eat.

Bag liner ? That can stay behind. Never used one before. Thought it might be a barrier against bed bugs but maybe it's too
cold for them yet ?

To fleece or not to fleece ? The Haglof was going to act as a walking out in the evening top and also double as sleepwear if
it's cold. The two pairs of clippers are for feet and hands, my toe nails are problematic. Mike, half a toilet roll without tube
added. Anniesantiago, no Gaviscon in Spain ! I'll throw out 3 of the ear plugs and double up on Gaviscon.

About 9 months ago a friend who's done endless long distance walks told me that the hardest part would be getting to the starting
line. "After that all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other". I understand now what he meant !

Time for anther cup of tea and a repack

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In that case why don't you leave the flip-flops at home and just take the two pairs of runners? A bit unusual perhaps, but if it works for you, all is good! SY

Good suggestion, It's unlikely Spain will have run out of sandals if the weather does turn out
to be warm and dry.

Last edited:
I prefer to carry the very basic first aid/medical supplies (good for a day or 2 of treatment) as well as several sets of ear plugs. The weight and bulk are negligible compared to the likelihood and nuisance of needing them when a pharmacy is closed or 10 km away. Obviously I hope I never need any of it, but think it is a wise exception to the rule not to carry anything you just "might need."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you peeps.

After a couple of shake down walks and a little reflection when I arrived home, I've now reduced the
weight of my sac by a full kilo. I've also made the effort to shed 4 kilos off my FSI weight. ( From skin
inwards )

Ultreya !

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.