• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list help!!

Bonnie Kellum

Time of past OR future Camino
Oveido - Santiago de Compostela
Hello all! I'll be on the Camino Frances later this week and I need some last minute advice on my gear... I know I've overpacked, so feel free to be brutal. I'm traveling afterward so I wanted to have a couple of cute outfits. I know that's against the rules ;)

Packing list

3 quick dry short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 tank top (to sleep in)
2 hiking pants
1 Capri
2 shorts (1 to hike, 1 to sleep)
2 dresses (super light weight for traveling afterward)
1 rain jacket
1 sweater
3 socks
4 underwear
2 sports bra
Scarf
Silk sleep sack
Inflatable pillow
Quick dry towel
Lush bar shampoo/soap
Hair gel
Sunglasses
Hat
Headlamp
Portable charger/phone charger/adapter
Merrell hiking shoes & sandals
Flip flops for shower
First aid kit (bandaids, sunscreen, body glide, compeed)
Bandana

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You should bring what you're comfortable with, but here's what I would do to your list:
Just buy a new dress after you're done with the Camino. Don't carry it for weeks along with you.

Packing list

1 quick dry short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 hiking pants
1 rain jacket
1 sweater
2 socks
3 underwear
Scarf
Silk sleep sack
Quick dry towel
Lush bar shampoo/soap
Headlamp
Merrell hiking shoes

3 tops max: 2 short, 1 long sleeve, where what ever is clean and not drying to sleep in.
2 bottoms max: no need for 2 pants + capris + shorts.
No dresses.
2 undies is enough.
No sports bras, just regular ones as you want them to dry.
No inflatable pillow
Add a pair of socks in case of rain.
No knife, no spoon: restaurants supply them with the food you order and sliced ham and cheese are, well, presliced.
Why a scarf and a bandana?
Some cream for your feet: vaseline, Vick's vapour rub, dimethacon, etc.
Only 2 pairs of shoes: walking ones and pm ones that you can use in shower but also in town: Crocs for ex.
Nappy pins to hang your clothes to dry
Why portable charger and phone charger?
Don't forget the phone
Any thing to cover your pack when it rains
Needle and thread
Something for water.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have just finished my 3rd Camino, it might be advisable to replace those flip flops with lightweight sandals as you do not want to wear your boots if you go out in the evening plus they are a good reserve if you get blisters and need to give your feet a rest for the odd day by walking in sandals.
Safety pins are always useful to pin your wet clothing to your rucksack if it has not dried from washing the previous evening.String is useful to use as a washing line and use the safety pins as pegs.
Remember to take your boots off every 5 miles to give your feet an airing and take your socks off as well ,it makes such a difference.
Good luck what a great time you are going to have

3 tops max: 2 short, 1 long sleeve, where what ever is clean and not drying to sleep in.
2 bottoms max: no need for 2 pants + capris + shorts.
No dresses.
2 undies is enough.
No sports bras, just regular ones as you want them to dry.
No inflatable pillow
Add a pair of socks in case of rain.
No knife, no spoon: restaurants supply them with the food you order and sliced ham and cheese are, well, presliced.
Why a scarf and a bandana?
Some cream for your feet: vaseline, Vick's vapour rub, dimethacon, etc.
Only 2 pairs of shoes: walking ones and pm ones that you can use in shower but also in town: Crocs for ex.
Nappy pins to hang your clothes to dry
Why portable charger and phone charger?
Don't forget the phone
Any thing to cover your pack when it rains
Needle and thread
Hello all! I'll be on the Camino Frances later this week and I need some last minute advice on my gear... I know I've overpacked, so feel free to be brutal. I'm traveling afterward so I wanted to have a couple of cute outfits. I know that's against the rules ;)

Packing list

1 long sleeve shirt
1 tank top (to sleep in)
2 hiking pants
1 Capri
1 rain jacket
1 sweater
3 socks
4 underwear
2 sports bra
Scarf
Silk sleep sack
Inflatable pillow
Quick dry towel
Lush bar shampoo/soap
Hair gel
Sunglasses
Hat
Headlamp
Flip flops for shower
Bandana

Packing list

1 long sleeve shirt
1 tank top (to sleep in)
2 hiking pants
1 Capri
1 rain jacket
1 sweater
3 socks
4 underwear
2 sports bra
Scarf
Silk sleep sack
Inflatable pillow
Quick dry towel
Lush bar shampoo/soap
Hair gel
Sunglasses
Hat
Headlamp
Flip flops for shower
Bandana
It might be an idea to some onward travelling clothes for collection at your destination?
You should bring what you're comfortable with, but here's what I would do to your list:
Just buy a new dress after you're done with the Camino. Don't carry it for weeks along with you.

Packing list

1 quick dry short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 hiking pants
1 rain jacket
1 sweater
2 socks
3 underwear
Scarf
Silk sleep sack
Quick dry towel
Lush bar shampoo/soap
Headlamp
Merrell hiking shoes

Packing list

1 long sleeve shirt
1 tank top (to sleep in)
2 hiking pants
1 Capri
1 rain jacket
1 sweater
3 socks
4 underwear
2 sports bra
Scarf
Silk sleep sack
Inflatable pillow
Quick dry towel
Lush bar shampoo/soap
Hair gel
Sunglasses
Hat
Headlamp
Flip flops for shower
Bandana
If you are aiming to finish in Santiago you could post your onward travelling clothes there for collection. (See 'storage' on this forum. ) Have a great time!

My comments in italics ;-)

I'm traveling afterward so I wanted to have a couple of cute outfits. I know that's against the rules ;) - Not against the rules, just unnecessary, just send them ahead to Ivar in Santiago and pick them up on arrival - problem solved ;-)

3 quick dry short sleeve shirts - 1-2 is enough, especially if you take a long sleeve one also.
1 long sleeve shirt - see above
1 tank top (to sleep in) leave at home, just sleep in the t-shirt you will wear the next day
2 hiking pants - one of you take the capri
1 Capri - leave at home if you take two of the above
2 shorts (1 to hike, 1 to sleep) - leave at home
2 dresses (super light weight for traveling afterward) - send ahead
4 underwear - 2 max 3 is enough
Inflatable pillow - leave at home, you can always improvise one
Hair gel - leave at home
Headlamp - leave at home, in emergency case you can always use your phone to find the toilet
Flip flops for shower - as you take sandals, leave at home
First aid kit (bandaids, sunscreen, body glide, compeed) - make it small and make sure you know how to use Compeed correctly, otherwise it does more damage than good.
Bandana - you already take a scarf ...

Missing:

water bottles
money belt to carry passport etc under your clothes

Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Packing list

3 quick dry short sleeve shirts/1 long sleeve shirt/1 sweater/1 tank top (to sleep in) - 1 long sleeve shirt or sweater, 1 tank top and maybe 2 short sleeve shirts
2 hiking pants/1 Capri/2 shorts (1 to hike, 1 to sleep) - only 2 pair of bottoms (get the zip off legs) are needed and maybe yoga pants that could double as longjohns/sleepwear if it gets unexpectedly cold
2 dresses (super light weight for traveling afterward) - go shopping when you get to your destination, if the weather isn't what you are expecting you might not get to wear them anyways
1 rain jacket - don't forget a cover for your pack
3 socks/4 underwear/2 sports bra - these don't take up much space and as long as they dry quickly this is fine - I took 3 underwear and 4 pair of socks and didn't regret it
Scarf/Bandana - one or the other but not both
Silk sleep sack/Inflatable pillow - ditch the pillow
Quick dry towel/Lush bar shampoo/soap/Hair gel - ditch the gel, your hat and bandana will fix it
Sunglasses/Hat/Headlamp - headlamp probably unnecessary and there are much smaller flashlights you can buy
Merrell hiking shoes & sandals/Flip flops for shower - flip flops will just be annoying after a bit
toothbrush, paste, and floss please

I took the lush soap in the metal container and it was a pain trying to open it in the shower and also trying to get the damp soap out - I was so glad when I had used it up. Some have suggested put a button or coin in the bottom so the soap comes out easier.

Since we can't predict the weather I was glad I brought extra socks and underwear - this way I always had something clean (and dry) if the laundry didn't dry over night. Some places were quite damp or it was raining and we couldn't hang our clothes in the sun to dry.

I over packed on my Camino....but here is what I finished with having walked mid April to June.
2normal bras
2 pants
1 super light shorts mostly to sleep in
1 skirt....worn daily....too hot for anything else.
3 very thin vest tops....sleeping in one
1 hat and light cotton scarf ....both worn wet to keep cool.
3pair socks
1 light dress for evening.
1 pair of light leggings
Light fleece
Water proof jacket/trousers worn twice
Foot care products..I used cavillon spray ...no blisters in leather boots.
Toiletries
Pen torch
Whistle for safety purposes.
At least 2 litres water...one to drink....one to wear!!!!
Crocs
By Pamplona you will know if you have over packed and will be able to join queue at post office to send excess on to Santiago. Buen Camino

Often mentioned in the responses here is "send ahead." As I've seen in a few other recent threads send ahead once you are in the EU and not from home (unless you live in the EU.) Otherwise things get expensive and complicated.

I agree completely with this post. It is exactly what I would have said too. Still, what you take is such a personal thing, it all depends on that you are comfortable with. Only other thing I would add, if you feel you have to take everything, just send your pack ahead everyday if it is too heavy. Better that then getting injured because of it.

My comments in italics ;-)

I'm traveling afterward so I wanted to have a couple of cute outfits. I know that's against the rules ;) - Not against the rules, just unnecessary, just send them ahead to Ivar in Santiago and pick them up on arrival - problem solved ;-)

3 quick dry short sleeve shirts - 1-2 is enough, especially if you take a long sleeve one also.
1 long sleeve shirt - see above
1 tank top (to sleep in) leave at home, just sleep in the t-shirt you will wear the next day
2 hiking pants - one of you take the capri
1 Capri - leave at home if you take two of the above
2 shorts (1 to hike, 1 to sleep) - leave at home
2 dresses (super light weight for traveling afterward) - send ahead
4 underwear - 2 max 3 is enough
Inflatable pillow - leave at home, you can always improvise one
Hair gel - leave at home
Headlamp - leave at home, in emergency case you can always use your phone to find the toilet
Flip flops for shower - as you take sandals, leave at home
First aid kit (bandaids, sunscreen, body glide, compeed) - make it small and make sure you know how to use Compeed correctly, otherwise it does more damage than good.
Bandana - you already take a scarf ...

Missing:

water bottles
money belt to carry passport etc under your clothes

Buen Camino, SY

Often mentioned in the responses here is "send ahead." As I've seen in a few other recent threads send ahead once you are in the EU and not from home (unless you live in the EU.) Otherwise things get expensive and complicated.

Even in the EU, sending things from one country to another is much more expensive than sending things inside the same country.

Buen Camino, SY

Sending via mail within the EC is not only expensive as SY notes above but also a hassle via customs. (just ask Ivar!) Never state that the items are new, food or meds; used clothing of no commercial value seems to pass.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks like a pretty good setup to me.
Even though you don't list them, I assume you have your toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, soap, sunscreen etc.
Nothing wrong with carrying a couple of extra outfits for travel after the Camino. A lot of people do that.
You carry the same footwear combo I did on my last 2 Caminos. One pair of hiking shoes, one pair of good sandals (mine are Tevas) and one pair of cheap flip-flops for the shower. To some it sounds like a lot, but the cheap flip flops I don't count as they weigh nothing and are practically disposable. I threw mine in a bin in Santiago.
Put it all in the pack, try it on and if it doesn't feel too heavy to you, go for it. You know your physical capabilities the best. Impossible for a second party to tell you what's too heavy or not. Besides, don't overthink it. It's not a wilderness trek you are going on. You find yourself needing something else on the Camino, chances are you can buy it. Too much stuff? Ditch a couple of things.
cheers and ultreia

Thanks for asking the question. I arrive at Saint Jean on Saturday. so so exciting. I have no idea what to take so the question and all the answers were super useful. mosquito spray and a diary ?

I over packed on my Camino....but here is what I finished with having walked mid April to June.
2normal bras
2 pants
1 super light shorts mostly to sleep in
1 skirt....worn daily....too hot for anything else.
3 very thin vest tops....sleeping in one
1 hat and light cotton scarf ....both worn wet to keep cool.
3pair socks
1 light dress for evening.
1 pair of light leggings
Light fleece
Water proof jacket/trousers worn twice
Foot care products..I used cavillon spray ...no blisters in leather boots.
Toiletries
Pen torch
Whistle for safety purposes.
At least 2 litres water...one to drink....one to wear!!!!
Crocs
By Pamplona you will know if you have over packed and will be able to join queue at post office to send excess on to Santiago. Buen Camino
useful. I didn't think about a skirt.

Thanks for asking the question. I arrive at Saint Jean on Saturday. so so exciting. I have no idea what to take so the question and all the answers were super useful. mosquito spray and a diary ?

Diary yes (make it light weight) but mosquito spray no, Spain has a dry heat in general. Buen Camino, SY

Packing list
I took the lush soap in the metal container and it was a pain trying to open it in the shower and also trying to get the damp soap out - I was so glad when I had used it up. Some have suggested put a button or coin in the bottom so the soap comes out easier.

I had the same problems with the Lush bar until I took a small Lush face cream pot and made a few holes in the top to keep it in. Easy to open even with wet hands, and the holes allow the bar to dry out a bit and not get mushy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Diary yes (make it light weight) but mosquito spray no, Spain has a dry heat in general. Buen Camino, SY

I walked SJPdP to Logrono starting 2 weeks ago and encountered mosquitoes several places. The relatively wet spring must have been beneficial to them. Since I am allergic I had to buy supplies of bug spray which were really available in pharmacies.

Mosquito spray...no.
I have never encountered a mosquito on three Caminos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WWHHoaahh!!! A packing list post!! We haven't had one of those for ages!!! Marvellous!!!

I won't hone the list down, others have done so before me as it really comes down to "wear one carry one" ... would mention a few happy extras
do take a knife and a spoon otherwise your life will become quite limited - try eating a yoghurt out on Camino without a spoon! or eating the remains of the pasta dish you made the night before .. or, how will you cut that sausage you carry? so take a knife and spoon. Also a few grip-seal sandwich bags for putting squishy food items in.
Put a tiny sewing kit into your first aid kit - seams split, buttons fall off.
You must take a pair of silk pyjamas, a Fez, and a pair of Moroccan tooled leather slippers so that you can be comfortable and elegant at night.

(that last bit isn't true)

Sending via mail within the EC is not only expensive as SY notes above but also a hassle via customs. (just ask Ivar!) Never state that the items are new, food or meds; used clothing of no commercial value seems to pass.

Mspath - No - there are no customs barriers or customs labels within the EU - it is the basic concept of the EU - no internal barriers - so only for parcels entering the EU.

Re mosquitos - I recently read that Johnson's baby lotion is an excellent repellent .. (I haven't tried this yet!)

No - there are no customs or customs labels w4ithin the EU - it is the basic concept of the EU - no barriers - so only for parcels entering the EU.

Nevertheless problems do occur with packages mailed within EU!

Recently ( late April) a package mailed from France (SJPdP) to Spain (SdC) was delayed for several weeks do to misinformation or to no information re what it did or did not contain. Problem may have been due to return foreign address ( non EU) on package.

I was asked to try to help expedite clearance; for further info ask Ivar to elaborate.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nevertheless problems do occur with packages mailed within EU!

Recently ( late April) a package mailed from France (SJPdP) to Spain (SdC) was delayed for several weeks do to misinformation or to no information re what it did or did not contain. Problem may have been due to return foreign address ( non EU) on package.

I was asked to try to help expedite clearance; for further info ask Ivar to elaborate.

I'm sorry but there is no 'clearance' between countries in the EU - there are no borders, no border controls, no customs .. though - the postal services have a list of prohibited items ... yes, probably the problem was a non EU return address.

Of course officially that is how it has been within the EU. Hopefully the package problem which I cited was a one time event.

Nevertheless now due to the attacks in Paris and Brussels there are new stops with searching at or near some border crossings between France and Belgium. Additionally there are many more armed patrols on Paris streets. Sadly nothing is as relaxed here as it was before.

Of course officially that is how it has been within the EU. Hopefully the package problem which I cited was a one time event.

Nevertheless now due to the attacks in Paris and Brussels there are new stops with searching at or near some border crossings between France and Belgium. Additionally there are many more armed patrols on Paris streets. Sadly nothing is as relaxed here as it was before.

"Officially" ?? It is the base concept of the EU - no borders, no border controls. I send parcels throughout the EU all the time and not one, not one in eleven years, not one has been held up because of customs or border controls - why? because in the EU there are no borders nor customs controls.
There are postal security checks, of course there are, but this has nothing to do with customs nor border controls because neither exist - they do not exist.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lush Soap is great but you are right, the round contaioner is not what you need. The Lush Shop also offers a small square container that makes getting the soap out a bit easier and honestly, if you can place a piece of paper towel under the soap will make it even easier.

Lush Soap is great but you are right, the round contaioner is not what you need. The Lush Shop also offers a small square container that makes getting the soap out a bit easier and honestly, if you can place a piece of paper towel under the soap will make it even easier.

The round container cannot be opened with wet hands! :mad: :D
I put the bar into a small mesh bag, perfect, easier to dry too.

I have been trying out many new things you all have suggested- soap leaves sucked as they didnt clean well and left remnants in my hair. Dr Bonners soap dried and roughened my hair.
What works for me with Lush bar- and I am loving it (not the price though)- is I wet my hands and lather them BEFORE entering the shower- the soap bar stays out of the stream. There is enough lather to do my hair and body and the soap bar does not become soggy .
Takes a couple of trial to find that amount of lather to work up.

WWHHoaahh!!! A packing list post!! We haven't had one of those for ages!!! Marvellous!!!

I won't hone the list down, others have done so before me as it really comes down to "wear one carry one" ... would mention a few happy extras
do take a knife and a spoon otherwise your life will become quite limited - try eating a yoghurt out on Camino without a spoon! or eating the remains of the pasta dish you made the night before .. or, how will you cut that sausage you carry? so take a knife and spoon. Also a few grip-seal sandwich bags for putting squishy food items in.
Put a tiny sewing kit into your first aid kit - seams split, buttons fall off.
You must take a pair of silk pyjamas, a Fez, and a pair of Moroccan tooled leather slippers so that you can be comfortable and elegant at night.

(that last bit isn't true)

Mspath - No - there are no customs barriers or customs labels within the EU - it is the basic concept of the EU - no internal barriers - so only for parcels entering the EU.

Re mosquitos - I recently read that Johnson's baby lotion is an excellent repellent .. (I haven't tried this yet!)

No, try Avon Skin So Soft - sent some to my daughter when she was a camp councillor in Minnesota (where they cross breed mossies with vultures) and she never got bit once after that. Also, she said her skin felt soft too ;)

Ha ha ha, Jeff, regarding the rain. I got lucky, I guess and never had to hike in a deluge. I changed the wording, though, as you made me more aware. And yes, everyone is amazed at what I get into my small pack, but most of the items are small, and I really do get it all in! Don't know if it's too heavy for most, but it works for me. I dangle a bunch of stuff on the outside, as needed too!

Will a whole lush bar last for two on the Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.